closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Milgauss GV

Master

Rolex Milgauss GV

Despite some mixed feelings, I've bought a Milgauss GV. The quirky second hand and multiple baton colours (coupled with the green glass) somehow combine to make this a very decent dress watch for me.

It’s nowhere near as heavy as I thought it would be and the bracelet isn’t as good as the GMTIIC (although the polished centre links will no doubt suffer the same fine scratches) so I can’t say that it’s a great watch, but it’s certainly very nice.

Not an everyday wearer in my opinion, but something different from the norm and not a watch I have ever seen being worn in the real world.

Hope you like it, but all comments welcome :)

With all the damned stickers on

On the wrist

Closer up

Close

Finally

Re: Rolex Milgauss GV

8) :bounce: - Awesome, Rolex's most balanced dial IMO. This would be the Rolex I would buy if I can ever get over my phobia of actually buying a Rolex :lol:

Master

Very nice indeed. I saw a brace of these in the local AD's today and I was told that the black faced model is by far the most popular, and accordingly, hard to come by out of the range.

Enjoy, but you know that already... :thumbright:

very nice and classy :) will you survive without the date? :D

love it!

would love to own one one day possibly over a sub or SD

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    8) :bounce: - Awesome, Rolex's most balanced dial IMO. This would be the Rolex I would buy if I can ever get over my phobia of actually buying a Rolex :lol:
    Ditto.

Here's a question: what makes a Milgauss's crystal green? I know sapphires and rubies are virtually identical chemically, but green?

Blog Entries

You finally got it peter!
    I hate the Milgauss, don´t like it at all :D
    No, but on a more serious note, great piece, and even more special with the green glass.
    For me (if it wasn´t my most expensive piece), it would be an ideal every day watch.
    Perfect size, and not noticeable on the wrist.
    I think I'll ask the dealer to give the center links also a brushed finish when it is due for the first service.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

congrats on the new addition. i find the green crystal and orange markers give this model a decidedly sportier feel.

the seconds hand is more noticeable in pictures than it is when wearing the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Despite some mixed feelings, I've bought a Milgauss GV. The quirky second hand and multiple baton colours (coupled with the green glass) somehow combine to make this a very decent dress watch for me.

Certainly a great choice Peter,had one of these on order and at the last minute decided to go for the GMT11C but one day..........Certainly a fine dress watch and very eye catching with the green crystal. :wink:

Nice purchase, without doubt a lovely watch to look at, on the other hand, It's a watch i can't see myself buying if the opportunity arises.

Master

I like it because it is unusual, I like the second hand but I am not sure about the green.

Master

You know my thoughts on the matter Peter - GORGEOUS :!: :!: :!:

Tis the next one that I am going to saving for. If you ever decide to move it on, then I will certainly give it a loving home :)

Master

Good comments chaps, and in repsonse:

The watch arrived late by RMSD so I've not had a chance to do anything but photograph it quickly. Because I've splashed out a bit recently, I told my wife that it could be my xmas present - but she reminded me that we don't actually give each other presents... :lol:

The AD said that the black-faced version seems to be the best seller and there certainly seem to be plenty for sale (of all colours) in the shop windows. They don't seem to be commanding the premiums that were being asked when they first came out either, so I suppose they haven't been a big hit.

The size is good and the proportions of the dial seem to work well. In fact it's a good looking watch generally speaking (which is odd bearing in mind the potentially minging ingredients) and the second hand is only noticeable when up-close.

FWIW I think it's a nice dress watch, but I can totally understand why some people just won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Here's a question: what makes a Milgauss's crystal green? I know sapphires and rubies are virtually identical chemically, but green?
    Good question! :scratch:

Master

I find myself very drawn to the Milgauss probably more then the rest of the Rolex range, nice acquisition. However I am not 100% convinced by the GV compared to the regular black dial model. Having said that I again found myself today searching for secondhand Explorers, the price differential creates an interesting dilemma. That and the size difference,,,and the brushed surfaces rather then polished.

How much does a Milgauss weigh on bracelet? Lots of different opinions about the weight but does anyone have any figures to hand?

Master

Wot a stuuning rolex - i will get one soon.... 8)

Master

Well done Peter, looks great 8)

Master

To answer your other questions;

Weight: 157g (apparently)

Compared to the GMTIIC

Lume

Excuse the truly awful pics

Very nice indeed 8)

Master

Thanks Peter, compared to the GMTIIC the size looks really nice. 157g is a nice weight as well, for me that is bang in the right range. All these 200+g monsters are a step to far for me. Is it me or is the lume a bit stronger as well?

I guess I will have to start saving.

Master

I wouldn't say the lume is stronger - that's probably just my crap photos - I would say it's crisper though and more defined, but then you could argue that is often true of baton markers.

The contrasting lume is a nice touch though.

Master

Congrats! Why do you think the bracelet is not so good as the one of the GMTIIC - because it has no Fliplock?

Frank

Master

Thanks Frank :)

Partly because of the fliplock clasp, but the actual bracelet itself doesn't feel quite as substantial to be honest. If I hadn't got the GMTIIC then I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Milgauss bracelet is bad (in fact it's a damned sight better than the Sub) but not quite as good as the GMTIIC.

Master

Looks good Pete, not one I'd own myself as I'd find the green a little restrictive. That said it is a really striking watch and actually the pictures don't do it justice.

Great comparrison shot as well, and I know I'm horrendously biased...... but the GMT looks way better :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Looks good Pete, not one I'd own myself as I'd find the green a little restrictive. That said it is a really striking watch and actually the pictures don't do it justice.

Great comparrison shot as well, and I know I'm horrendously biased...... but the GMT looks way better :twisted:
    I know what you mean actually Ryan - I think Daddel was probably right getting the black one as a daily wearer (if he ever wears it :P ).

Oh and you are horrendously biased. But you are right too :lol:

Great watch the Milgauss; enjoy it. I tried on a white dialed one this afternoon and was strangely drawn to it. White orange and stainless steel works wonderfully. Robbie

:D The GV is lovely and one the select few rolex I actually like, the green glass is nice and I like that it is a little unusual, It's green and blue lume is rather special too, I think I like the white dial one the most though :D Congrats on an excellent new watch.

Banned

I sold mine unworn with all stickers on so I could purchase my AP. I needed a quick sale and sold it for £3350, wish now I had kept it.

Mart

It's a nice watch. I like it, but I don't love it

Mark

Love them - love the 2nd hand - but only the original had the lightning hand out of the 1st 3 series - totally fantastic watch AFAIC - great balance - as for the bracelet - does all it needs to and doesn't need to be same as the GMTIIC - I like both of mine - but then I like the old bracelets too even my older GMT's without the flip lock clasps :)

Looks great in the pictures and I hope you enjoy it and wear it more!
    It's just a matter of time...

Lovely watch - my mate has one and I've tried it on and it very nearly tempted me above the Sub ND I bought.

Can't help feeling this might be on SC in the not too distant future given your comments in your posts.. you don't seem over enthused at having bought one :mrgreen:

Master

lovely, in fact you have the only two rollies id want, lucky beggar :)

Saw this in person and much bigger than I thought..

Apprentice

I've come to this chat late... But I think it's a very nice looking watch in the pictures and could even be worn on a lady's wrist. But I'd prefer to have a date. Maybe because I grew up with date watches and regularly look at my wrist if I need to note the date down.

Master

Thanks again all.

I don't want to create the impression that I don't like it - I do. I knew what I was buying and am very happy with it (in fact it is even nicer than I recall) but IMO this isn't worth the money, but then again I had exactly the same feeling when I bought the GMTIIC.

Perhaps it comes down to this - I resent the inflated prices from Rolex more than any other brand and so it takes away some of the enjoyment until I have got over the shock to my bank balance.

I doubt that I'm the only person here that thinks that! :blackeye:

Blog Entries

Thanks again all.

I don't want to create the impression that I don't like it - I do. I knew what I was buying and am very happy with it (in fact it is even nicer than I recall) but IMO this isn't worth the money, but then again I had exactly the same feeling when I bought the GMTIIC.

Perhaps it comes down to this - I resent the inflated prices from Rolex more than any other brand and so it takes away some of the enjoyment until I have got over the shock to my bank balance.

If I didn´t had something to trade it against, I never would have bought it new :)
    But that also counts for my (now traded) PAM000, never in a million years I would throw 3000,- towards that watch.
    But I must say I´m glad I own the Milgauss now.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Looks fantastic and the itch for one is now getting stronger. For me the green glass is what sets this apart from other watches which is why I like it so much. Nearly dropped into Blowers to take a look at one in the flesh yesterday buri don't feel strong enough to resist yet :D

Master
    Lume
    Here's the lume shot of my Milgauss:

Remarkably even. :D

Craftsman

And here's mine -

Remarkably Funky!

Cheers,

Peter.

Master

Stunning lume pic :thumbright: Makes my attempt look like crap :(

As for your comments on trades/SH ones - I had a number of tempting SH offers (thanks to those members BTW) but in the end went down the new, shiny route with personalised paperwork for not huge amounts more.

If anyone is thinking of having a look at them then I would strongly recommend it. They are nicely different from everything else out there - a smart dress watch without being flash :)

Craftsman

It's a lovely looking piece!

I bet the polished parts of the case will be a nightmare for finger prints mind you.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Excellent Peter!

Thinking of one of those in New Yr to go with my Royal Oak. No messing with date (which is hard work on AP if it stops). Just wind set & go.

Enjoy.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

That's an eye-catching piece Peter, congrats 8)

Now get rid of that so-and-so bracelet and put it on a NATO - it'll be nicely de-blinged :D

Cheers

Stern

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pipedreamer
    And here's mine -

Remarkably Funky!

Cheers,

Peter.

That lume is seriously 8) I liked the watch anyway, but that might have just sealed it for me - I have to have one, but I have to be disciplined and save for it :evil: Maybe when I am over the pond next year, will get one on interest free and help get a credit history into the bargain :wink:

Thanks again all.

It's a tricky one - never thought I'd spend £2k on a watch never mind way over £10k - but I can't find many watches that cover as much for me as both the GV and the GMTIIC - as far as the Rolex modern line up goes they hit the spot perfectly and the price inflation is generally the same.

I first had the choice of an Omega Seamaster or Rolex EXPII (it was my ultimate watch at the time) the Seamaster was less than half the price RRP and coudl be had with a small discount on top. It's about the same difference now. Panerai and Cartier have probably moved much more.

I'm not selling either of mine- hopefully ever!
    It's just a matter of time...