closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To fathers of teenage girls at Xmas

To fathers of teenage girls at Xmas

I'm just blowing off steam so apologies in advance, but are any of you buying/planning to buy/being hassled to buy UGG boots for your daughters?

I hate them, they offer no ankle support, they have a foam sole and they cost £150 in th High Street. Anyway, I have refused on value for money grounds and I am now more unpopular than usual. Daughter number 1 did try to make a comparison to my watch buying (straps actually) at which point I pulled rank. I suppose I am posting here partly out of frustration and partly out of guilt. Anyway, rant over and sorry for the crap content of this post. I have more chance of someone listening on here than I do at home. :(

Merry Christmas to you all.

Dave

Re: To fathers of teenage girls at Xmas

:D .......Brave man, I could not refuse the i-phone but did refuse the multiple, useless expensive fancy cover thingo's.

My missus has about seven pairs, not all Ugg mind. Very comfy and practical :D

Master

My daughter has got a i phone and Uggs! I must admit I hate the Uggs.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I did offer a non UGG version but couldn't break through the sulking....so I gave up!

christmas. dont you just love it ? :D
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

My wife has been pestering me for 3 pairs of thermal bedsocks, how very dare she!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    My wife has been pestering me for 3 pairs of thermal bedsocks, how very dare she!

Eddie
    Cor Eddie, they sound sexy! :mrgreen:

Dave,

Any relatives in Oz?

Much cheaper out there but still only worn as 'outside ware' by Boguns (Oz version of Chavs)

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    I hate them, they offer no ankle support, they have a foam sole and they cost £150 in th High Street.

Dave
    Me thinks that you're starting to sound like your dad.
    Bet you've started telling 'em that you can't hear the words that their fave pop singers are mumbling either!!! :D :D

Why not try the Fit Flop boots, very similar and supposed to be good for toning the legs so they should love them :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

Ugg boots - forty flavours of wrong in a single cone.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    I hate them, they offer no ankle support, they have a foam sole and they cost £150 in th High Street.

Dave
    Me thinks that you're starting to sound like your dad.
    Bet you've started telling 'em that you can't hear the words that their fave pop singers are mumbling either!!! :D :D
    I think you're right......its not like music in my day!

The Specials, The Selector, The Beat, The Bodysnatchers, Madness etc.....now, that was REAL music. :D

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk
    Dave,

Any relatives in Oz?

Much cheaper out there but still only worn as 'outside ware' by Boguns (Oz version of Chavs)
    I do and thanks for the tip.
    Cheers
    Dave

UGG boots - I think they look great

Banned

I'm just blowing off steam so apologies in advance, but are any of you buying/planning to buy/being hassled to buy UGG boots for your daughters?

I hate them, they offer no ankle support, they have a foam sole and they cost £150 in th High Street. Anyway, I have refused on value for money grounds and I am now more unpopular than usual. Daughter number 1 did try to make a comparison to my watch buying (straps actually) at which point I pulled rank. I suppose I am posting here partly out of frustration and partly out of guilt. Anyway, rant over and sorry for the crap content of this post. I have more chance of someone listening on here than I do at home. :(

Dave

you know full well your going to have to give in eventualy,do it now and have peace :lol:

I hate Ugg boots and my other half was always saying the same, but then she got a pair of Animal branded Ugg-u-likes as a freebie and now she wants the real thing in black :roll: The sad thing about your daughter wanting Uggs, is she's probably wanting them because her mates have them and above all have the branded ones. £150 (my other half wants the £200 ones...) is a complete none sense especially since if you get them wet they go really tatty. Not a problem the Aussies have, but in blighty :lol:

What about getting her a gift to open on Christmas day and then vouchers to half the value of the pair she wants. Make her earn/save/work for the other half and see if she wants them then. Or if she does buy, how well she looks after them. Just an idea

Shove them in the cupboard under the stairs until they're old enough to move out. Job's a goodun.

Last year, I got a bar of Tesco's milk chocolate from my parents. It wasn't even wrapped. Unless you include it being rolled up in a Tesco disposable shopping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    Shove them in the cupboard under the stairs until they're old enough to move out. Job's a goodun.

Last year, I got a bar of Tesco's milk chocolate from my parents. It wasn't even wrapped. Unless you include it being rolled up in a Tesco disposable shopping bag.
    I like your style! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja

they gave birth to you, anything else is a bonus
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I would have refused on grounds of sheer ugliness - the things are hideous :D

Oh and I must say I admire you for pulling rank on the watch buying issue :salute: :D

Cheers

Stern

Master
    Blog Entries

Top tip for anyone trying too buy UGG boots. The kiddies sizes are very generously proportioned. SWMBO is a size 5.5 but wears size 4 kiddies UGGs. The benefit of this is that the kids ones cost about £50 to £60 less than the adult ones. She has had 2 pairs from the UGG store in Soho, worth a call to the store before visiting though as they sell very quickly, mainly to cheapskates like me :P

Master

Uggs=Ugly surely?

Should be banned. A nice pair of heels is far better :D

Just remembered that we are talking about your teenage daughter..... :lol:

The Specials, The Selector, The Beat, The Bodysnatchers, Madness etc.....now, that was REAL music. :D
    +1

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Well, thank God my seventeen year-old hates both Ugg boots and cell phones! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I also think they are gross - okay for ambling about the house but not for trudging around the shopping centre

Unfortunately, my daughter has a couple of pairs, one she got when we were in Oz a few years back (which I paid for but I also got myself a very nice RM Williams belt), the latest when she recently went to New York (which she paid for herself - the trip and the boots :) ).
    As has been said, resistance is futile :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I did offer a non UGG version but couldn't break through the sulking....so I gave up!
    Lost cause - been there, tried that.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Dave

Erm, I have to say I can imagine the response of a teenage girl when having the 'no ankle support' pointed out.......... :lol:

But if you do give in you'll find Ugg boots are available for less money in Costco. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Dave

Erm, I have to say I can imagine the response of a teenage girl when having the 'no ankle support' pointed out.......... :lol:

But if you do give in you'll find Ugg boots are available for less money in Costco. :wink:

R
    Thanks Ralphy. We will be visiting family over the holiday who use Costco regularly, so I could be "cool dad" for a change. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Thanks Ralphy. We will be visiting family over the holiday who use Costco regularly, so I could be "cool dad" for a change. :D
    Costco Aberdeen have never had genuine Uggs - but they do have Kirkland "homages" for £25 :D

(Makro had real Uggs last week, £145. Even Amazon has them at £150 nowadays)

Master

Uggs are especially attractive when paired with pajamas. I'm assuming this unsettling trend has taken root over there as well? I don't know when it became acceptable for a 16 year old girl to wear Sponge Bob Square Pants flannel pajamas out in public but I always get the urge to slap her parents every time I see it. I'm hoping the "I just escaped from the loony bin" look is a fad that dies quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    Uggs are especially attractive when paired with pajamas. I'm assuming this unsettling trend has taken root over there as well? I don't know when it became acceptable for a 16 year old girl to wear Sponge Bob Square Pants flannel pajamas out in public but I always get the urge to slap her parents every time I see it. I'm hoping the "I just escaped from the loony bin" look is a fad that dies quickly.
    Yep saw that down town last Saturday night, girls in PJ's and ug boots :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Kiwis must be laughing their socks off- when my sister went out to NZ a few years ago, she bought several pairs, because then Ugg boots were about £4- they're just slippers made out of a waste product...

Just get her some Valenki! (Google it)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    has she got 6 legs......or 2 nice friends!

Craftsman

Slugg boots. :pukeleft:

You can easily get around this nonsense by telling your womenfolk that the aforementioned boots make their legs look fat. Problem solved. :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by DMR
    Slugg boots. :pukeleft:

You can easily get around this nonsense by telling your womenfolk that the aforementioned boots make their legs look fat. Problem solved. :twisted:
    I'll tell them you said so. :D

I did actually say that when I was a lad they were old worn by short and hairy old women but this went down like the proverbial crap sandwich. :roll:

Quite like the look, but, WOW :shock: have you seen how badly peoples feet pronate when they wear them? Big problem if you wear them a lot, I reckon.
    Dave! you may as well stand on the end of Ryde pier and tell the tide not to come in, mate :wink:

The missus has a pair of Emu boots bought of fleabay for around £40. She wears them around the house to keep her feet warm. According to her they're better made than Ugg boots, still bloody ugly though.

Cheers,

Gary

Craftsman

When faced with the same request from my 16yr old daughter to buy her UGG(ly) boots, I reverted to my usual tactic when she wants something I either disapprove of or think is poor value for money. I offer to buy her something else and suggest that if she really wants the UGG(lies) she can buy them out of her allowance.

Needless to say she didn't buy a pair!

Craftsman

Found some children's ones (up to size 4) in Costco for £14.99 last year and told the kids that's all the Bank of Dad was sponsoring. Turns out they wear better than Uggs!

Problem solved...

Dave, do the decent thing and buy the little darling anything she wants. :lol:

You're her Dad aren't you?

Kids always need the right gear.

If I had a daughter she'd be spoiled rotten. (3 boys :? )
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Couldn't you two do a partial swap then? :P

Sounds a plan. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My girlfriend swears by "FUGG" boots - same look, same material, £4 a pair in Primark...

Quote Originally Posted by afroglives
    My girlfriend swears by "FUGG" boots - same look, same material, £4 a pair in Primark...
    Am surprised Panerai don't sue Primark.

Never expected this post to go on for so long....thanks to everyone commenting.

I have had quite a giggle at some of your responses, and those comments that have supported my case have been read out to my daughters with a fatherly "I told you so".... :D

Anyway, this is a fantastic forum, the guys I have dealt with, spoken to, emailed, met in the pub etc. have all been great and I wish you all a very happy christmas.

Thanks guys
    Dave

PS They will end up in UGGs.....I know when I'm cornered. One bloke and three women in the house - what hope do I have? At least the dog is male! Meet Floyd:

PS They will end up in UGGs.....I know when I'm cornered. One bloke and three women in the house - what hope do I have? At least the dog is male! Meet Floyd:
    Yep, at least you won't be sleeping with him for buying non-Uggs. :D

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

I could not agree with the OP anymore, my 15 going on 20 yr daughter has two pairs, horrible but what do you do, she wants them for birthdays etc so you cannot be harsh if thats what she wants.

Master

At least the dog is male! Meet Floyd:

Yeah, and just look at where the women keep him, out in the snow! :lol:

Better get your girls some of those fUGGly boots right quick!