closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Seiko Monster

Banned

Re: Should I buy a Seiko Monster

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart
    Issued to the Aussie Army so they do the job.

Really??? :shock:

This one is a variation of, surely. The bezel and crown are not standard Monster.

Craftsman

Well after all the recomendations I decided not to buy one, but two

A Black one from SC and an orange one from Singapore.

Like the Blue, Red and Yellow, but cant justify premium, maybe I will buy a white one instead. :D

I think I just like unwrapping the boxes :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for all the advice and hope you all have a great Xmas.

Regards

Martin

Can't go wrong with a monster I have the orange model it looks great never thought I would buy any watch that was orange,also comes on one of the best bracelets Seiko do, though I do have mine on a Watchadoo.

Banned

BLAST YOU GUYS, now I'm considering getting one as well! Especially after this photo of yobokies mod! (And I deliberately erased all monster photos from my thinkpad so I wouldn't be tempted again!)

Have you bought one yet? :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by johnfoxllb
    Have you bought one yet? :)

Yes 2

A black and an orange 8)

I'm a Monster fan as previously stated but that Yobokies mod looks the business. I've been on an incredible journey this last twelve months, i started with a fixation on my Rolex and Omega models, became attracted to Sinn's and Damasko's and now have come full circle to enjoy the style and cost benefits of certain Seiko models! Now I feel a leaning towards some modding. I wonder what the New Year will bring??

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Diaboliq
    BLAST YOU GUYS, now I'm considering getting one as well! Especially after this photo of yobokies mod! (And I deliberately erased all monster photos from my thinkpad so I wouldn't be tempted again!)

Me too, Diaboliq you've got me thinking now :evil: :D , having owned 2 , that mod looks so cool 8) .

Jez

Craftsman

Well my first Monster (Black) arrived today.

Purchased from Tuna1138 on SC, paid Friday, thats quick service :shock:

Thanks Ian and RMSD :)

The orange one from Singapore will take longer and will have to see if I get hit with import charges :(

I like the knurled crown I saw on mod, anyone know whether you can buy on own and will it fit standard stem/tube?

Regards

Martin

I think they're ugly. Get yourself an SKX007, 9 or 11. Much classier looks and I believe the same movement, although I'm sure someone will tell me if it's not.

Craftsman

Sorry, I forgot to say, I really like it, came with rubber diver strap and black Nato.

Dont think it will get any diving action, unless it falls off my wrist when Im over water :lol:

First impressions very good, would prefer hand wind facility as well, but happy to shake it round a bit :bounce:

May not wear it just yet as still in love with my new old stock Zenith El Primero HW

Quote Originally Posted by jez

Me too, Diaboliq you've got me thinking now :evil: :D , having owned 2 , that mod looks so cool 8) .

Jez
    Deal with Harold in confidence the guys a true star. You won't get a one off but near as. He will make the watch as individual as you want it. The finish on his watches is superb. On a Toshi the Monster looks the 'Dogs'. Beware though that you won't get the same Seiko lum on a mod :( But one hell of a good unique looker! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring

This one is a variation of, surely. The bezel and crown are not standard Monster.
    The Seiko SNZF47K1 is known as the Neo Monster or Baby Monster, the finish is as good as its older brother.
    The Neo Monster offers the white face that the original never did.

This watch however is what I would love, but resides the USA far to expensive to import :(

More pic's

Quote Originally Posted by jez

Jez
    Deal with Harold in confidence the guys a true star. You won't get a one off but near as. He will make the watch as individual as you want it. The finish on his watches is superb. On a Toshi the Monster looks the 'Dogs'. Beware though that you won't get the same Seiko lum on a mod :( But one hell of a good unique looker! :mrgreen:

Hi Paul

Believe me mate,this guy don´t need a Toshi(ordered one myself & worth every penny) because he´s doing much better ones.
    Better because Unique!!!!!
    got today 2 straps from joe(diaboliq) & i am :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Ordered 2 straps from him for my 50Le,& this one still @ the watchmaker :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
    So have to install them on my "Only Nato watch",the Stingray & post some pics later.

cheers
    Miro

Master

Definately.

In a word, yes!!

Got mine through at the weekend !Am very pleased with it! I have the orange face on a bracelet.

New member to the forum, although a long time lurker! Look forward to picking a few people's brains over the coming weeks as I am looking to add to my very small collection of two watches!!

I currently have a Black Monster winging it's way to me as I type. Should arrive tomorrow hopefully. Can't wait to see it in the 'flesh'.

Master

You will not be disappointed with any of the Monsters actually, very good value for money :thumbright:

Craftsman

I have three of the brutes, just love em! There as hard as nails. Issued to the Aussie Army so they do the job.
    As everyone is saying you just cant lose, these watches are winners. :lol:

I've only ever seen the Army here issue G-shocks. I'd be surprised to see the Australian Army (or any other) issue a mechanical watch these days.

Monster is good value for money :!:

I've had 4 now: every time I let on go I end up missing it, get another then repeat the process. :roll:

I think it's one of the best value & robust diving watches around; some non-divers have grumbled about the bezel being relatively easy to turn, but I've not heard any diver saying so. Stick it on just about any of Eddie's straps and you'll have a great beater.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The only Sekio diver I have had, is the one below. But my question would be "do you see yourself using it as a diver, as it seems to have a poor WR rating at only 100M, surely if they can make my chrono 200WR and standard single crown diver should at least match this.

Craftsman

Decided to go ahead and purchase Black monster from SC.

Very pleased with its looks and feel.

Didnt like the rubber strap due to ridges it left on wrist :twisted:

Using it with black nato which is much nicer.

However, the lack of manual wind has meant that where I switch from another watch to wear this over night (like lume on monster) despite shaking it about it stops during the night.

Maybe I dont move around enough :)

Dont want to bother with auto winder.

Am I unusual in wearing watch to bed?

Still waiting for my orange dial steel strap version to arrive from Singapore :(

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    The only Sekio diver I have had, is the one below. But my question would be "do you see yourself using it as a diver, as it seems to have a poor WR rating at only 100M.....
    The Monsters are rated at 200m. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    The only Sekio diver I have had, is the one below. But my question would be "do you see yourself using it as a diver, as it seems to have a poor WR rating at only 100M.....

I have ckecked (see below), some are 100WR and some are as you say. Why is there a difference? it does not help the unwary buyer.

http://www.masoportunidades.com.ar/avis ... r-snzf47k1

I have ckecked (see below), some are 100WR and some are as you say. Why is there a difference? it does not help the unwary buyer.

http://www.masoportunidades.com.ar/avis ... r-snzf47k1
    That's not a Monster, it's a neo-Monster; Seiko 5 sports model that's smaller than a Monster. And not rated so deep.

R

Master

I love these, going to buy one methinks. Are we still saying that Ebay is the best place to buy? I've checked around the web a bit and can't find any better deals?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen
    I love these, going to buy one methinks. Are we still saying that Ebay is the best place to buy? I've checked around the web a bit and can't find any better deals?

I try to stay away from FleaBay. The Asian sellers have a good reputation, of course, and then there's this guy, who has been recommended on this forum before: http://www.monsterwatches.nl. RLT Watches had a bunch of Monsters a while ago; unsurprisingly, they've disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Stern

Craftsman

This forum is evil (at least, my wife thinks so).

I just bought a Black Monster on New Year's Eve (having seen it on the "what are you wearing into the next decade" thread and then read this thread) from sky watches in Singapore. It arrives tomorrow.

I had seen them many times before online, and even in the flesh once, but until now I had completely ignored them.

Will post pics tomorrow.

I'm just planning some mods to my latest Monster. Problem is, the choices are endless!

R

Craftsman

I'm just planning some mods to my latest Monster. Problem is, the choices are endless!

R
    Are you doing the mods yourself or is somebody doing them for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex

R
    Are you doing the mods yourself or is somebody doing them for you?
    I'm getting Bry (Bry1975 on here) to do it for me.

R

I've had a Black Monster for about a week now and I absolutely love it.

I got mine from creationwatches and the service was top notch. Good price too.

Journeyman

I've had mine for four months, and I love it. At +1 a day it's more accurate than my SAR or my Hammy, and it's never been adjusted.Tough as anything. Wouldn't wear it with a suit, but any other day absolutely. It still feels like a guilty pleasure, cuz to me it just ain't pretty, but it's soooo much fun :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen

I try to stay away from FleaBay. The Asian sellers have a good reputation, of course, and then there's this guy, who has been recommended on this forum before: http://www.monsterwatches.nl. RLT Watches had a bunch of Monsters a while ago; unsurprisingly, they've disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with lots of sellers on ebay, got mine from justseiko.

Stern

^ ^

I never said that there was something wrong with them, just that I do not choose Ebay when there are other options :)

Cheers

Stern

Looking at the Monsters on creationwatches.com - They say they don't ship to the EEA, though I'm sure I've seen some on here have Seiko's from Creation Watches.

Can anybody clarify this?

I don't get it, Doctor :D

They ship to all European countries: http://www.creationwatches.com/products ... ages_id=33

Cheers

Stern

Yeah, this is what's befuddling me presently. :compress:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...x779-1106.html

When you look at a particular Seiko Watch it says in big red letters that they don't ship Seiko's to EEA.

Well I can't speak for anywhere else but they definitely deliver to the UK. They'll also mark it as a low price horology gift so you don't get bothered by Customs.

Bonus.

Good enough for me - Cheers!

Erm... EEA as in European Economic Area? That term is so antiquated it's almost archaic - I'm sure they mean something else :wink:

The previous poster has a point. No harm in asking them to declare a slightly lower value - be sure to opt for registered mail shipping though. As has been said often on this forum, with the courier companies you get nailed... every... time :evil:

You could of course wait a while and grab one off the SC. They come up for sale fairly regularly 8)

Here's a Q&D pic of mine while you're contemplating your options:

The lume is bombastic :D

Cheers

Stern

Haha - No I wasn't going to order one per se... Just, you know, checking... ;)
    Might wait and see what's going on in SC.

As regards to the price, my Steinhart came from Gnomon watches and that was declared considerably cheaper on the paperwork and so far nothing else has dropped through from the friendly folks at Customs and Excise. :D

Craftsman

Can`t see why not?As long as it doesn`t interfere with your homework I`m fine with it. :D

had 4 of them prefer the orange ones myself

I opted for the black one but they're just so cheap I might have to get an orange as well. :D

Craftsman

Well, my Monster arrived this morning from Singapore.

Overall it's a great watch and I won't be repeating comments already made above if I can help it.

The bezel spring is not very high tension, so I am glad for the modicum of protection afforded between 10:30-1:30 and 7:30-4 o'clock. It is nice that it is a 120 click bezel though, but as already mentioned it is a little misaligned with the indices, which is more noticeable on this watch than others, due to the alignment of the scalloped parts on the bezel with those on the case, if minor adjustments are made to the bezel in order to align with indices.

There is one thing that really irks me, however. I love the bracelet, except for a significant flaw in the workmanship, which is the safety latch on the clasp. I have added some iphone pics to illustrate. Because of this, I will have to wear my monster on my brushed lumpadoo, which of course has no diver's extension, or on one of Eddie's black rhinos (or a grey one-pice rhino I also have). It might also look good on one of plonky's extra long Calico Jack straps.

Here are the pics:

This is how the safety clasp ends up for most of the time on my wrist unless sitting still:

You can see that the pin and holes are never going to align:

Craftsman

And does anyone know if this Marinemaster clasp will fit onto the monster bracelet (it's 18mm)? It's a bit pricy though.