closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Custom brushed PRS-50 A (Loads of pics)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Custom brushed PRS-50 A (Loads of pics)

Hello all,

After successfully restoring a number of watch cases during the last couple of months I thought I should try something different.
    I love my PRS-50 but I always thought that a less bright finish would be more suitable for such a massive and chunky diver’s watch. I know that the original Fifty Fathoms and Tornek Rayvilles had polished cases. Nevertheless I decided to apply a nice and even satin finish to the case sides, the back, and the bezel, while leaving the upper and under sides of the lugs polished.
    In order to do so I had to remove the bezel. This was fairly easily done with the help of a brass blade. I guess with enough attention any small blade would be suitable. ( Those of you who are brave enough and have substantial fingernails might try it with their bare hands…) But I wanted to make sure not to scratch the case.
    As brass is a bit softer than 316L (160-180 Vickers vs. 210-230 Vickers) it’s a good choice for a one-time tool. I took a piece of 2mm thick sheet metal and roughly cut out the blade profile of a “Victorinox Swiss Army Knife”. The “cutting edge” was sanded down and gently rounded. Et voila`!
    The blade was carefully inserted between case and bezel (at 1 o’ clock position). After a little pressure was applied the bezel easily popped off. The brushed finish was done on my mini lathe at very low revs. I used 800 grid sanding paper and almost no pressure. The whole procedure took me 2 minutes. I did the same thing with the back.
    In order to achieve a satin finish on the case, the watch was disassembled. I removed the bezel, back, and crown, took out movement and dial (on the PRS-50 with AS movement all interior parts are basically one unit held in place by a very solid retaining ring).
    The next step was to carefully mask the parts of the case that should keep their polished finish. I used clear adhesive tape to do so and it took me almost half an hour until everything was right. It was especially difficult to follow the rounded AND squarish profile of the lugs (rounded on the underside, angular on top). Once everything was right I applied a brushed finish by using a motor driven soft brush. It’s the type of brush that professionals use. Even at high revs it’s not harmfull to your fingers and it leaves all edges sharp and crisp.
    I think the result is quite stunning. It really turned out much better than I thought! The watch remains quite unchanged in appearance if you look at it from above due to the polished lugs and the big poly resin insert. But a side shot shows a big change in appearance. What do you think?

Thanks for reading,

Jan

Re: Custom brushed PRS-50 A (Loads of pics)

That seems like a neat job....couple of q's:

Firstly, any chance of a "overview" photo showing the whole watch...your close ups are great but an overview would help me put what you've done into context

Secondly, when you pinged off the bezel is there any obvious spring etc to tighten up the ratchet...mines just a wee bit loose but as I'm clearly not as brave as you I've resisted fiddling!

Many thanks

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Hobbes, sorry no "overview" shot as there is not much difference to the serial model. The bezel action can be stiffened by carefully raising the prongs of the spring. Make sure to insert the spring properly before re-assembly!
    Jan

Thanks...I might give the bezel tightening a go (but only if and when the action works a bit looser, I can live with it at the mo ) :)

That looks fantastic, really good idea, it's the finish that has made me hesitate over getting a PRS-50 :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Cool... wrist shot please :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Cool... wrist shot please :)
    Check out the 4th picture down :roll: :lol:

Well its definitely well brushed and really quite pretty but I cant help but think the 50 is best looking in it's shiny state, I don't like many fully polished watches but the 50 is one and along with a couple of dress watches are the only polished things in my collection, good work though, I wouldn't try to do anything like that myself. :D

Master

Interesting - I'm planning on something similar for my 50, but bead blasted instead of brushed. I do like the finish of the 50 but I'd like something to distinguish it a little more from the 50B, and maybe make it a little more toolish into the bargain. There's a precedent for blasted Fifty Fathoms, although I suspect it's probably an after market finish: http://www.watchdeco.com/fiftyfathoms/index.html

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Seabadger, I don't see too much of a problem in beadblasting the case. On the PRS-50 all parts are basically screwed together. Even the crystal is a screw down part.

quite an interesting project to get that brushed finish. i would love to see a wrist shot or an 'overview' picture of the entire watch to gauge how it looks.

i generally do not like polished finishes on anything other than dress watches but i tend to agree that the 50 looks best as polished. but i would love to be proved wrong. :wink:

hopeful you can post some more pics here or on a future Friday thread.

cheers.

Brushed finish looks good, I don't think I could be that brave :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

wow..
    looking good & very nice pics!!

May I suggest a plan B. Wear the watch as new, enjoy that "new car/motorcycle/watch feeling" , when you become more accustomed to the watch, or should it pick up a scratch or mark you cannot live with. Beadblast. Enjoy the "new watch high" all over again.

I think beadblasting rather than satin is the finish I would prefer.

How about some pics from different angles so we can see how it blends with the dial, etc. And put a strap on it, please. :D

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Craftsman

Looks good for me :lol:

Wow! nice work :cheers:

Looks very good indeed

Master

The finish looks great, but I agree we need to see more of the watch.

Yes please, post pics of the whole watch.

Andreas

Looks good, would also like to see a few more pics.

Master

Definitely looks good, though I prefer the original look. I'd be interested what Eddie thinks

Nice, I have been thinking about doing the same, except circular brushing the lug tops and top area of the bezel. So it is brushed from a top view.

Any chance of some more info about the "motor driven soft brush"...? I have only brushed by hand or with a drill + padding to rotate the watch case...

Apprentice

Nice :wink: Good pictures too