closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about Traser!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talk to me about Traser!

Hi guys, happy new year, hope everyine is having a lovely time.

I have a real hankering for a traser. A friend of mine is selling his 2004 Commander thats titainium with a stainles steel strap and a blue face (green vials). He wants a ton for it, which i was going to go for, but its not got sapphire crystal and the mineral crystal is marked. :-(

I didnt buy it, and im consideruing trying to find one here for less money than that. Only thing is, the models i see on here for about 85 -95 ish are only water resistant to 30m, which IMHO is pretty duff. The 200m resistant watch seems like a much better idea.

When actually trying teh watch on I found that i thought the screen was small for a pretty big lump of titainium. Im used to an Omega 2250.5 whichh has a large dial as im sure you know, and good lume, and i tink id really prefer someting with this sort of size dial. Any Ideas? Nite seem a bit pricey for what they are, Luminox just look like traser clones.

Any thoughts?

Re: Talk to me about Traser!

Don't know much about Trasers, but that one sounds a bit grubby. I do like the tritium watches, if I were you, I would save up for a Ball watch.

Trasers are said to be good for 200m. At one time there was a complex licensing agreement relating to the American market (involving mb-microtec/Traser and Luminox) that led to Traser under-declaring the water resistance. Apparently.

The models that have appeared in SC recently have all been 200m rated including the Super Sport I sold last weekend. I was planning on going for a Commander 100 Ti, which is 200m rated with sapphire crystal, but just couldn't justify the £250 price tag. The hands do glow in the dark, but in my experience not that brightly and they're just too thin for daytime legibility. The other option I considered was a TSAR, but it's just too much hassle getting a new one. I eventually opted for a PRS17q from Eddie, the same price as a basic Traser and twice the watch - 200m rated, sapphire with AR and 10 year battery. The lume even glows in daylight too.

Journeyman

The P6500 lacks the screw crown and has a mineral crystal.
    The P6506 (titanium) has a screw down crown and a sapphire crystal.
    Otherwise, they are literally made from the same mold.

I've had both models for a very long time (but they've sat mostly in the drawer for the last few years awaiting the tritium revival...my other watches just get the wrist time). Good daily beater watches and great for reading at night, no complaints there. Nice steady glow at 0300, where regular lume is long faded (yes, even on my seiko marinemaster).

If you were able to get a hold of a nice P6506, I think you'd be real happy with it. The problem is they cost so much brand new.

PS. models with the blue tubes are kind of cool. I gave one away (it was KHS branded), and regret it now.

Journeyman

I defintely rate Trasers, and currently own three, (Super Sport, Code Blue, and Black Storm Pro). Of the three, both the Super Sport and Black Storm are rated to 200m as well as having metal cases and screw down crowns. The Code Blue, (which is basically the original military model with the addition of blue tritium tubes) is only rated to 30m, is plastic cased and doesn't have a screw down crown.

As hinted at by tribe125, there is a military requirement in the US, as well as here, that the "issue" watches meet certain specifications. These include 30m water resistance, which is what Traser put on the case. You'll notice that the British issue CWC is only rated to 50m, (despite having two o-rings) for, presumably, the same reason.

I suspect the Code Blue could take more than 30m, though I doubt it would take the full 200m treatment.

If I were you, I would hold out for one of the metal cased models which were rated for the full 200m. They are very well made, and IMO glow perfectly well; they certainly glow well enough to illuminate whatever is near them at night!

I was able to pick the Black Storm up on the SC here recently for not much more than you are mentioning, and Trasers do seem to come up quite often.

As for the whole Traser/Luminox/Nite/Stocker and Yale etc brightness issue; the last I checked, they all use tritium vials made by MB Microtec in Switzerland. The same MB Microtec which owns the Traser brand!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    I do like the tritium watches, if I were you, I would save up for a Ball watch.
    This is lovely! If only they were similar to Trasers price-wise :)

Alex

I am an Army Officer and we get issued Nite watches. They are much better watches and have all the extras you could want. I bought from a friend who is an authorised dealer and he gives very good discounts if you ask. http://www.qualitytime.uk.com
    Have a look and you will see that they are better watches and cheaper than Traser, hence why the Special Forces have stopped being issued Traser and now get Nite.

Journeyman

So the Nite watches will glow like the Ball one's?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by cav1982
    So the Nite watches will glow like the Ball one's?
    It all depends on the size and amount of vials used ... I believe MB-Microtec own the rights to the trigalight technology, but then sell on the vials to other companies. Ball use the same tritium filled vials as Traser, but are a bit more imaginative with them ;) Although Ball are more expensive!

I was toying with the idea of a Traser Classic Automatic Pro with blue tritium, display back and ETA 2824-2 movement. However I'm weighing up my options and I'm tempted by a Ball Hydrocarbon Classic I. It's taking me awhile to decide though - Half the fun? :?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    The models that have appeared in SC recently have all been 200m rated including the Super Sport I sold last weekend. I was planning on going for a Commander 100 Ti, which is 200m rated with sapphire crystal, but just couldn't justify the £250 price tag. The hands do glow in the dark, but in my experience not that brightly and they're just too thin for daytime legibility. The other option I considered was a TSAR, but it's just too much hassle getting a new one. I eventually opted for a PRS17q from Eddie, the same price as a basic Traser and twice the watch - 200m rated, sapphire with AR and 10 year battery. The lume even glows in daylight too.

I have to agree with that one, the Lume on my PRS-17 glows very brightly indeed

I met a guy today that has quite a collection of G-Shocks that were issued to the COFUSCO in Lorient (France), which is the Commandement des Fusilliers Marins (French Commando Marines).

Im trying to save money and all these temptations keep popping up :shock:

I have worn Nite watches for a couple of years on operations all over the world and in all sorts of conditions and they have been the best watch for field conditions. The lume glows all night. The watches don't break and the glass doesn't scratch. What else can you ask for?