closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Seiko Monster

Craftsman

Re: Should I buy a Seiko Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A
    And does anyone know if this Marinemaster clasp will fit onto the monster bracelet (it's 18mm)? It's a bit pricy though.

There's a Seiko Monster bracelet going for £25 on the Sales forum atm. I assume the Marinemaster clasp isn't any cheaper?

Craftsman

The orange one arrived today from Ebay, this time on a steel strap :)

Looks good, not sure I will wear to work though as a bit bright :shock:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by nitram
    The orange one arrived today from Ebay, this time on a steel strap :)

Looks good, not sure I will wear to work though as a bit bright :shock:
    That's where the Black Monster comes in.

I purchased an Orange monster on a S/S bracelet, I got mine through a well known auction site, if it is allowed I will post the sellers name. I went to see him in person (lives about 90 minutes away from me) he has a associate who is a jeweller in Japan who sends him the watches over. I am very happy with mine and got a full reciept and the warranty card stamped by the jeweller it was from.

Baz

Craftsman

Well, my Monster arrived this morning from Singapore.

Overall it's a great watch and I won't be repeating comments already made above if I can help it.

The bezel spring is not very high tension, so I am glad for the modicum of protection afforded between 10:30-1:30 and 7:30-4 o'clock. It is nice that it is a 120 click bezel though, but as already mentioned it is a little misaligned with the indices, which is more noticeable on this watch than others, due to the alignment of the scalloped parts on the bezel with those on the case, if minor adjustments are made to the bezel in order to align with indices.

There is one thing that really irks me, however. I love the bracelet, except for a significant flaw in the workmanship, which is the safety latch on the clasp. I have added some iphone pics to illustrate. Because of this, I will have to wear my monster on my brushed lumpadoo, which of course has no diver's extension, or on one of Eddie's black rhinos (or a grey one-pice rhino I also have). It might also look good on one of plonky's extra long Calico Jack straps.
    Congrats!

I've had OM and BM, both from Singapore and each for about $150USD. Both were nice (in a monster sort of way), but had minor defects so flipped (with disclosure). In my case, both had slightly misaligned chapter ring markings. For the price I paid, I was not disappointed, and enjoyed wearing them while I had them. I've suspected that a lot of the ridiculously low priced Seikos on eBay from Singapore (and elsewhere) are QC failed pieces, but still 99% OK. They can't be sent to ADs, but still fetch a profit on gray market.

Both of my ratchet springs were poorly tensioned on arrival, but were easy to adjust. After that, bezel action was completely wonderful.

The monster's bracelet clasp is raunchy even when defect-free, but yours looks like something better fixed with a Dremel. Don't throw money at this particular problem (unless it's to buy a Dremel); just enjoy what you've got.

-O

Master

Sorry to siderail the thread... but the Night Monsters. Where is the best (i.e cheapest and most reliable) place to get one? Very keen on getting one with a white dial, but want to make sure I'm getting the best price :D

/a month ago I never heard of an orange monster, now I'm gonna get one.
    Glad to se that not all desirable watches cost€€€€

Overall it's a great watch and I won't be repeating comments already made above if I can help it.

The bezel spring is not very high tension, so I am glad for the modicum of protection afforded between 10:30-1:30 and 7:30-4 o'clock. It is nice that it is a 120 click bezel though, but as already mentioned it is a little misaligned with the indices, which is more noticeable on this watch than others, due to the alignment of the scalloped parts on the bezel with those on the case, if minor adjustments are made to the bezel in order to align with indices.

There is one thing that really irks me, however. I love the bracelet, except for a significant flaw in the workmanship, which is the safety latch on the clasp. I have added some iphone pics to illustrate. Because of this, I will have to wear my monster on my brushed lumpadoo, which of course has no diver's extension, or on one of Eddie's black rhinos (or a grey one-pice rhino I also have). It might also look good on one of plonky's extra long Calico Jack straps.

Here are the pics:

removed to save space.

You can see that the pin and holes are never going to align:
    Michael,

have a look at my old thread on the clasp problem, I took mine into a UK seiko dealer and they sent it away. 10 days later it was returned with a new clasp and pressure test cert etc. All carried out FOC! (had to take them the warranty card though)

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...sprained+clasp

Not had a problem with it since! :D

Apprentice
    Portugal, hopefully in Scottland any time soon

-Amazing bezel action;
    -Full stainless steel bezel (no inserts);
    -Incredible lume;
    -Drilled lug holes;
    -Bezel guards;
    -Domed crystal;
    -Day and date complications;
    -Full solid links bracelet;
    -Divers extension;
    -Tough, reliable movement, that can be regulated to +-5 seg;
    -Crown at 4h.

We can't go wrong with this guys :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy

Here are the pics:

removed to save space.

You can see that the pin and holes are never going to align:
    Michael,

have a look at my old thread on the clasp problem, I took mine into a UK seiko dealer and they sent it away. 10 days later it was returned with a new clasp and pressure test cert etc. All carried out FOC! (had to take them the warranty card though)

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...sprained+clasp

Not had a problem with it since! :D
    Thanks for that. I heard from Skywatches and they wanted me to send the whole watch back to them for repair, registered post. Since a new clasp from chronograph.com was less than US$30, I just ordered a new clasp from them instead, since postage wouldn't have been much less. Here's to hoping that clasp is okay.

In the meantime I think it looks good on one of Plonky's "Calico Jack" straps (flags removed).

Craftsman

Further to the earlier reports about safety clasp problems.

I checked and mine is the same.

Contacted Ebay seller Timeparadise and they advised:-

"can offer 2 solutions

1. Get it to any watch store and they can fix this very quickly and it will also be very cheap. I will refund you for this.

2. Send it back to us and once you have got it in the mail, let me know and I will get my office to send you a new one.
    Of course we will refund you the return shipping fee too."

I would have preferred they sent me another clasp, I cant get under warranty in UK as no warranty card with watch.

Does anyone know what the fix method is?

Not an expert but assume it involves bending clasp or drilling bigger holes?

Any other thoughts?

Resin strap? Looks good on a OM

Nitram,

I took mine to the Seiko AD and they tried bending the clasp and it was a little better but still not right. There was also the problem in my own mind that I knew it had been tampered with. The only solution as far as I was concerned was to have it sent back to Seiko. The clasps are not unique to the Monsters and whilst mine was away, it was pressure tested and sampletime tested which was a nice bonus.

Depending on the age of your watch, you might be as lucky as I was and get a replacement clasp for free. The AD quote me circa £70 for a new bracelet :shock: . I would expect the clasp alone to be conciderably cheaper though.

I would suggest that this is a common fault with these though and I think you should be able to argue that the work should be carried out at no charge to yourself.

Might be worth a phonecall to Seiko UK?

I bought a monster, but never where it.
    It is not comfortable compred to my other watches

Just buy a monster bracelet on here (often come up on SC) or ebay for not a lot of dosh.

Craftsman

I had a close look and the alignment is only a fraction out.

Saw that if the outer clasp moved along slightly, the holes would align.

The clasp has 2 inner hinged plates, 1 with a folded edge and the other without.

Applied very gentle pressure to the plate without folded edge to straighten it slightly, thus making it slightly longer and the holes now line up perfectly.

I stress it was only finger pressure without using a tool.

Safety clasp now snaps into place as it should :)

Master

Just pushed the button and ordered an Orange one. A mate at work has one and it's just been preying on my mind...

Craftsman

Just received a new clasp from chronograph.com in Singapore and the safety latch works perfectly!

Master

i,m having a similar problem with the clasp on my om,does anyone know if this is a easy fix for a watch repairer or will it have to be a new clasp

Master

Get a Seiko 5 mini-Monster.

Love mine although I am getting rid as it's a touch too big for me!

Master

Does anyone else find there Monster runs really fast ? Anyone had it regulated and recommend anywhere to do it ?

Master

Mine is pretty good, keeps time with my Breitling Auto's and they are all within COSC limits. I have the same movement in a Seiko 5 but that runs slow and definitely doesn't keep up with the rest! Very surprised with the Monster though given it's price.

I guess any watchmaker/jeweller could regulate it for you?

Stef

Apprentice
    Portugal, hopefully in Scottland any time soon

I've had a few Seikos with the 7s26 and I belive that the fast/slow problems are more a lack of factory regulation than of capability of the movement.
    In other words, is a matter of accuracy, not precision. The proof is that a 5 sec fast 7s26 will keep that deviation stable for a long time. Once you regulate it you'll get a quite precise and accurate watch.
    At least this is my experience.
    :wink:

Craftsman

Just picked up a Black monster yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Its a heavy well built chunk of metal on the wrist but quite comfy on the Nato it came on, I also have the rubber strap for variety.

Glad to have another Seiko in my collection but its a million times better than my old Seiko 5.

Love it :lol:

Craftsman

SWMBO kept pestering to 'borrow' (i.e. have) my OM and when i finally relented she managed to 'misplace' it within a couple of days!

One month on and still no sign of it so a good excuse to pick up a Black Monster instead i think ...

Master

Great functional watches, although the looks of it may not be to everyone's taste....but I suspect that every WIS will want to try one at some point. I had seen mine as a keeper, but the dreaded flipperitis has finally afflicted me, so I've just put my BM on SC....although I'm very eager to try another Seiko and could see myself trying out an OM before too long :D

Master

Took delivery of a BM today. Great watches, but I already knew that. The Seiko on the dial was a giveaway :D

The Monsters are a classical for a (or many) reason(s) :wink:

I would advice to get it beadblasted - my OM looks amazing without the shiny surfaces. Although in the future I may get a BM on a bracelet, for those more blingy moments...

Master

Here's mine

Craftsman

I borrowed my brothers OM to go away with work about 2 years ago and still have it. I have forgotten to give it back to him when I have seen him but everytime I go away with work, which is often, it is the first watch I look for to take away. It is on a rubber strap, has been battered about a lot, by me and him, and you would hardly know the age of it. It is a superb watch.

Paddy

Master

Recently taken delivery of a Black Monster and my verdict is that I will be wearing this A LOT.

buy one. I've had a black one with different hands, those of the mapmeter, and that was a great one. Also had an orange one and that's fun! I still fancy a orange one, beadblasted and with sapphire. It's an Bargain. They look great on all kind of straps. Regret selling them .

Master

I didn't buy one for months and months of people saying how great they were...

Then I bought an Orange, Then 3 days after a Black.
    Want a Purple next. ;)

You have to have at least one. And on a NATO.
    It's the law.

Mine's on a DiModell Jumbo Aviator. The thickness of that suits the weight of the Monster. I took it off the rubber that came with it.

Craftsman

After my original post I bought a black one on Nato from SC and then an Orange one on bracelet from Singapore dealer.

Havnt worn the orange yet, but just got a new mesh bracelet, with Omega style ends for the black one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20mm-SHARK-MESH-B ... istwatches

Very pleased with it, especially as I got a second chance offer on my lower bid :)

Its back on my wrist again, only complaint about monster is lack of hand wind facility which is more of an issue if you dont wear regularly and means alot of wrist shaking :shock:

Just got rid of mine today and I miss it already :(

Cheers
    Ryan

Journeyman

almost got rid of mine the other week - cleaned it right up, not a swirl in sight on the bracelet - and have worn it ever since :)

at least if you do get rid of one and regret it, it's easy enough to get another!

Might be a repost but... YES! :D

End of thread!

Master

Recently taken delivery of a Black Monster and my verdict is that I will be wearing this A LOT.
    Liked it so much have now ordered an Orange

For me, this is probably the ugliest watch on the planet. Except you're 14 years old.

I'm waiting for a "Godzilla vs. Seiko Monster" film....

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

Yes you should. I now have four. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Yes you should. I now have four. :)
    4! :shock: Thats just greedy! :D

Go on then, I'll bite, any limited editions in that collection, or is that a daft question? :)

Master

No limited editions, no.

They are:
    A standard Orange on bracelet
    A standard Black on standard bracelet
    A Black on a brushed bracelet, alternates with a TF Bond NATO
    A Frankenmonster bead-blasted one that I will collect from the sorting office tomorrow! :D

Master

as a freindly meerkat once said

simples YES

Craftsman

As a result of all the positive comments I now have a black one and an orange one, now I want a white one

Mind you the black with shark mesh does look really good, havnt stopped wearing it since I fitted it :o

I hope my other watches dont gang up on it :)

Just to offer my own perspective... I bought one new, kept it in the box for a month or two and then flipped it. Build quality is certainly excellent, but I guess you either like the dial or you don't. In hindsight, I didn't.

Edit: An example of when "better late than never" makes no sense at all :)

Master

just received my orange one from Ronin(cheers mate), on a genuine Monster bracelet, proper piece of man jewellery

Craftsman

Thought you may like pics on mesh

2010_0902monster0004 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2010_0902monster0001 by nitram2010, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    It's a pretty safe purchase in that you can always flip it for (most of) what you paid.
    As for myself, I've got the blue one. It looks nice, but I rarely wear it due to the weight and (relatively) low power reserve. That said, I still can't imagine ever selling it. Go figure.

Edit...Pretty interesting that all four watches have (basically) the same movement.
    Nice looking Samurai :wink:

They are cheap, good quality, whats not to like and if you don't they are easily sold on. :P