closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So you thought the PAM 317 was expensive

Master
    Blog Entries

So you thought the PAM 317 was expensive

This has a basic Unitas movement and was £5700 new. Not a bad return for storing it in a safe for a few years :wink:

I'd love one and it's for the correct wrist, in my case. The price though is a bit of an issue.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/t ... 8Markus%29

Re: So you thought the PAM 317 was expensive

I agree Baz, but it's what they fetch now and there will be no more 8)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries

official watches have had one up at £14K for a while now, no takers yet.

I prefer this to the 127 'Fiddy'. Shame us lowly individuals cannot get a 47mm 1950 cased watch without spending an arm and a leg :( (and the 305 doesn't count :wink: )

Ouch

Let's be fair here, it's well above list but it is a limited edition that's no longer in production. To get a 127 / 217 now you need to spend £12k or so, minimum. You might think that's madness when list was less than half that just a few years ago, but this is what they cost because others are prepared to pay it. Simple economics.

Panerai don't have a monopoly on this though, do they? We see the same thing with lots of other watches / brands (including the PRS2). Desirability & rarity drives prices, and while there are still some who will pay them they will stay high.

For me a bigger question is what will these watches be worth in 5 years time. I don't think I'd ever justify spending £12k on a single watch TBH, but if I ever contemplated it I would always buy something classic. In my opinion, watches like the 127 will always benefit from high demand because of the simple styling.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    Let's be fair here, it's well above list but it is a limited edition that's no longer in production. To get a 127 / 217 now you need to spend £12k or so, minimum. You might think that's madness when list was less than half that just a few years ago, but this is what they cost because others are prepared to pay it. Simple economics.

Panerai don't have a monopoly on this though, do they? We see the same thing with lots of other watches / brands (including the PRS2). Desirability & rarity drives prices, and while there are still some who will pay them they will stay high.

For me a bigger question is what will these watches be worth in 5 years time. I don't think I'd ever justify spending £12k on a single watch TBH, but if I ever contemplated it I would always buy something classic. In my opinion, watches like the 127 will always benefit from high demand because of the simple styling.
    Simplicity is the essence of Panerai. The problem for Panerai in 5 yrs is they will have to start releasing simplistic 47mm again so people remain interested in the, probably in larger quantities. Wouldn't this piss of collectors?

Another thing I have thought about are the SEs in recent year. Is it just more or have they been a bit meh? Could Panerai be realising they can't have all their nice simplistic watches as SE? I've not seen anything 'wow' must have since 232/249 release. I'm sure you guys will correct me :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi

If i had a spare £15K, i'd be showing you my pictures of it :) It flashed through my mind when i first saw it, but common sense and reality quickly returned, sadly. Buying it as a want is not an issue, however, justifying buying it is another matter :(