closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aerowatch

Aerowatch

Took a couple of pictures to illustrate the sub dials on this wonderful little watch and just kept taking pictures. I've been aware of these of a while, had WTB's over the years and finally found one. I originally rejected it because of the daft cathedral hands and the coin edge, but over time they grew on me and now i see that they give the watch real character.

More than what I'd planned to spend but now I have it I'd happily have paid double.

Re: Aerowatch

Thanks for posting. Not seen one before.

Chris

Cathedral hands and coin-edge bezels are real 1930’s period details as you can see in this IWC from the vintage collection. The Aerowatch is great piece of kit and of excellent quality for the money.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Took a couple of pictures to illustrate the sub dials on this wonderful little watch and just kept taking pictures. I've been aware of these of a while, had WTB's over the years and finally found one. I originally rejected it because of the daft cathedral hands and the coin edge, but over time they grew on me and now i see that they give the watch real character.

.................................................. ..............
    More than what I'd planned to spend but now I have it I'd happily have paid double.
    I think these look nice too. I also like the cathedral hands and coin edge bezel and wonder why more people don't.

Not counting IWC's recreation of their (first?) all-out c.1935 pilot's watch that Abraxas put up above, the only other early "Flieger" style chronographs having good quality like your discontinued Aerowatch that I can think of are the much more expensive vintage 1940s style twin 3-9 register/hand wind Tutima I believe they still make and several similiar Hanharts, including the single pusher Primus model. As you mentioned, though, you would have had to pay quite a bit more for not all that much if much of any at all more in specifications or in the type of quality that is of the useable sort(i.e. more substantive than fineness of cosmetic finish, etc.), I think.

The photos are a little dark, but they do show the depth of the subdials well. How thick is the watch?

An I like cathedral hands. I nearly bought one of these a year ago. I should have....

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    The photos are a little dark, but they do show the depth of the subdials well. How thick is the watch?

An I like cathedral hands. I nearly bought one of these a year ago. I should have....
    Seems to be 12-13mm high. The only other mechanical chrono I've had is the PRS 5 and that was appreciably thicker and less balanced. This wears much more like a standard watch especially with the flat crystal. The one disappointment with this one is that the movement (78/100) isn't decorated, but i can live with that.

very nice

That's it! Resurrecting posts from the crypt with one word (or one punctuation mark) replies.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Short stay - shame :wink:

Master

Lovely looking watch, congrats :)

I too like the Cathedral hands, beautifully evoking a lost era...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    That's it! Resurrecting posts from the crypt with one word (or one punctuation mark) replies.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Eddie

anyone remember that old TV series "No Hiding Place"??? :lol:

Sadly I am old enough... Loved the show.

Heck yes, Inspector Lockheart, called Snuffy 'cause he took snuff. I think a young Mike Baldwin from Corrie was his Sergeant. Anyone remember Gideon's Way?

I think so but the next show I really remember was Z-Cars partly because my dad had a MkIII Zephyr 6.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco

Longines was making a watch just like that recently but i cant find a photo of it, quite a large watch with a black dial, same shape case and hands but with a center seconds. It looks like it is no longer made though

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco

Longines was making a watch just like that recently but i cant find a photo of it, quite a large watch with a black dial, same shape case and hands but with a center seconds. It looks like it is no longer made though
    Yep -- it was part of the Spirit collection, option of white or black dials on chrono or non-chrono with center seconds.

Spirit that was the one

Very nice but i could never bring my self to buy one €900 plus i think

Very nice the coin edge really makes it.

Journeyman

The Aerowatch does look very interesting.

I agree with the OP about the hands - certainly do fit there and as PP said, the coin edge makes it nicely.

BUT, I personally would love to see a mock up of one with an onion crown - nothing too large.. but nevertheless onion style :P

really nice - I came very close to pulling the trigger on one of those several times. Not sure why I didn't. Regret not having done it now. (Sighs)

I really like cathedral/mercedes hands. (sighs again)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren
    Spirit that was the one

Very nice but i could never bring my self to buy one €900 plus i think
    I used to have one of those and it was very nice. Oddly, the aged look lume was superb.

I was tempted by the Aerowatch when Eddie was down to his last one, I think someone just got to it before I finally gave in.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Just out of interest is there a log of owners of the Aerowatch? I have 79/100

Craftsman

no 60 over here and sticking to it....