closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like my new piece?

Banned

How do you like my new piece?

Everyone who read my intro topic knows what my hobby is ---- strapmaking.
    So I guess I could give some intro into what I do and this being the topic where you could say what you think about latest straps I made.. Pros / cons and generally - something of a market research.
    Since I find my strapmaking as something I really like doing, I don't want to charge mad prices on my work. I guess my regular customers realized that and now I already know what they like and straps I make for them are never in my sales threads but go straight to their addresses. What I get from the straps is what I use to fund watch parts for my other hobbies - strapmaking and guitars.

I love history and my military / ammo straps bear names of famous WW2 operations. I find it amusing sharing something I love with other people so every strap sale thread is also a history lesson for those who would like to know more. Well.. as I said, I will post photos of my straps here and I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Few I made before - Operation Market Garden

Operation Market Garden (September 17–25, 1944) was an Allied military operation, fought in the Netherlands and Germany in World War II. It was the largest airborne operation of all time.[nb 3]

The operation plan's strategic context required the seizure of bridges across the Maas (Meuse River) and two arms of the Rhine (the Waal and the Lower Rhine) as well as several smaller canals and tributaries. Crossing the Lower Rhine would allow the Allies to outflank the Siegfried Line and encircle the Ruhr, Germany's industrial heartland. It made large-scale use of airborne forces whose tactical objectives were to secure a series of bridges over the main rivers of the German-occupied Netherlands and allow a rapid advance by armoured units into Northern Germany.

Initially the operation was successful and several bridges between Eindhoven and Nijmegen were captured. However the ground force's advance was delayed by the demolition of a bridge over the Wilhelmina Canal at Son[7], delaying the capture of the main road bridge over the Meuse until September 20. At Arnhem the British 1st Airborne Division encountered far stronger resistance than anticipated. In the ensuing battle only a small force managed to hold one end of the Arnhem road bridge and after the ground forces failed to relieve them they were overrun on the 21st. The rest of the division, trapped in a small pocket west of the bridge, had to be evacuated on the 25th. The Allies had failed to cross the Rhine in sufficient force, and the Rhine remained a barrier to their advance until the offensives at Remagen, Oppenheim, Rees and Wesel in March 1945.

and Operation Torch.

Operation Torch (initially called Operation Gymnast) was the British-American invasion of French North Africa in World War II during the North African Campaign, started 8 November 1942.
    The Soviet Union had pressed the United States and Britain to start operations in Europe and open a second front to reduce the pressure of German forces on the Soviet troops. While the American commanders favored Operation Sledgehammer, landing in Occupied Europe as soon as possible, the British commanders believed that such a course would end in disaster. An attack on French North Africa was proposed instead, which would clear the Axis Powers from North Africa, improve naval control of the Mediterranean Sea and prepare an invasion of Southern Europe in 1943. American President Franklin D. Roosevelt suspected the African operation would rule out an invasion of Europe in 1943 but agreed to support British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Operation Goodwood was an attack launched on 18 July 1944, during the Second World War, by the British army to the east of the city of Caen. British VIII Corps led the attack with three armoured divisions, supported by British I Corps on the eastern flank and the Canadian II Corps on the western flank, who were launching their own attack codenamed Operation Atlantic, to capture the remainder of Caen.
    When Operation Goodwood ended on 20 July, the armoured divisions had broken through the initial German defences and had advanced 7 miles before coming to a halt in front of the Bourguébus Ridge, although armoured cars had penetrated further south and over the ridge.
    There has been controversy since July 1944 over the objective of the operation: whether it was a limited attack to secure Caen and pin German formations in the eastern region of the Normandy beachhead, preventing them from disengaging to join the counterattack against the US Operation Cobra, or a failed attempted breakout from the Normandy bridgehead.
    At least one historian has called the operation the largest tank battle that the British Army has ever fought.

I made a strap this weekend when I had some spare time / my snow trip was canceled so I made the OPERATION PARAVANE (it's been sold today so I can freely put it here)

History fact / why the name?

Operation Paravane was the attack carried out by RAF Bomber Command on September 15, 1944 against the German battleship Tirpitz at harbour in the far north of Norway. The Tirpitz was a major threat to the convoys supplying the Soviet Union. Flying via a Soviet airfield, two squadrons attacked. A single bomb hit the ship, disabling her and causing the Germans to tow her south to Tromsø where she would be sunk in Operation Catechism a few weeks later.

Do you like the concept? So.. all your opinions are welcome... Best regards, Joseph

Re: How do you like my new piece?

Lovely work and an excellent naming convention, just reading about Operation Torch in a book called Masters and Commanders as it happens :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    Blog Entries

I think its an interesting touch quoting a back story to the strap, and one which WUS would no doubt applaud if you were a sponser, lots of watch companies use events in history as inspiration for their watches with very little if any genuine connection.

Banned

Did it once again just to see if that was a joke. Guess it wasn't:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    You have been issued a one week ban for the reason that we asked you not to include back stories to your sales posts two weeks ago yet you feel compelled to ignore our request. Further failure to follow any of the rules may result in a full ban.
    Date the ban will be lifted: December 22nd, 2009, 10:00"

Sweet :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Diaboliq
    Did it once again just to see if that was a joke. Guess it wasn't:

You have been issued a one week ban for the reason that we asked you not to include back stories to your sales posts two weeks ago yet you feel compelled to ignore our request. Further failure to follow any of the rules may result in a full ban.
    Date the ban will be lifted: December 22nd, 2009, 10:00"

Sweet :bounce:
    Oh no not a back story, you really were asking for a ban there! :roll: :drunken: :lol: :drunken:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    Oh no not a back story, you really were asking for a ban there! :roll: :drunken: :lol: :drunken:

I guess I did, did I? :roll: Oh well, I won't compete there, only 5% of my straps are sold there anyway, others have my e.mail.
    Thank you on your comments guys, I appreciate it.

Grand Master

Cool looking straps (although the one on the Hamilton does tend to overpower the watch) & I like the fact that you include the inspiration (back story) .. although how that constitutes a banning order (on WuS) beggars belief ..
    /vince ..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Cool looking straps (although the one on the Hamilton does tend to overpower the watch) & I like the fact that you include the inspiration (back story) .. although how that constitutes a banning order (on WuS) beggars belief ..

About wus mods .. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.. but to each his own. 8)
    I agree on the strap overpowering the watch but I wanted to get that rugged military WW2 look -- strap is off the wrist so lug allows some play of the strap. Once it's tighter, looks legit.. Looked great on my diver.
    Thanks again ;)

Quote Originally Posted by WUS in 2012

You breathe too loud.
    Date the ban will be lifted: December 22nd, 2012, 10:00"
    Haha that's just..... great, isn't it? So many things going wrong over there, a shame, really. It used to be a nice place... quite some time ago.
    Love your straps btw, but as others have said, not on this watch ;-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Journeyman

Lovely work, real craftsmanship in those!
    Cheers Jules...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WUS in 2012
    You breathe too loud.
    Date the ban will be lifted: December 22nd, 2012, 10:00"

A punchline indeed :D

Actually - for this Hamilton I made a Jaguar leather (car company - leather sample fresh from the factory) factory waxed (like riding boots) and contrast stitched..

Ooooh, that's nice!!!!!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Ooooh, that's nice!!!!!
    When I remember how much it took me to make it and what kind of precision, trust me, I hate it :bom: :bom: :bom:
    Then again, every strap I make, I'm making it as for myself every single time.. I wouldn't sell something I wouldn't like to wear on my wrist. :drunken:

Banned

Anyways.. this still remains my hobby.. no matter what.. :idea:

The straps are frankly amazing - i couldn't make ANYTHING - and have great admiration for anybody who has time and patience to do it.
    They look fantastic.
    Love the naming too.

Hello Guys
    this is what i got yesterday,sorry for the crappy pics,obviously need a new cam.
    almost better than a new watch! :wink:

cannot wait to get my 50le back,the bright one is crying out for her. :lol:

cheers
    Miro

Miro, Is this thing for your key-ring?

I'd love one of those.

Cheers

Stern

it is,another shot from the whole package :drunken:

& a wristshot

reverso :lol:

cheers
    miro

Craftsman

Some great straps there - keep up the good work. I wish I had your skill and patience.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldpunq
    it is,another shot from the whole package :drunken:

& a wristshot

reverso :lol:

cheers
    miro
    They look amazing. :drunken:

Keep up the good work.

Journeyman

Wow, some nice looking pieces here!

Master

Very nice.wouldn't mind one myself.

Banned

Thanks guys you're really kind

looking good

Quite amazing lovely work ! :D

Banned

I made 2 more pieces for a new baby below :)

Banned

Caught a cold this weekend so I was busy :D

Named "FORCE 136" or Group 136

Force 136 was the general cover name for a branch of the British World War II organization, the Special Operations Executive (SOE). The organisation was established to encourage and supply resistance movements in enemy-occupied territory, and occasionally mount clandestine sabotage operations. Force 136 operated in the regions of the South-East Asian Theatre of World War II which were occupied by Japan from 1941 to 1945.

Although the top command of Force 136 were British officers and civilians, most of those it trained and employed as agents were indigenous to the regions in which they operated. British, Americans or other Europeans could not operate clandestinely in cities or populated areas in Asia, but once the resistance movements engaged in open rebellion, Allied armed forces personnel who knew the local languages and peoples became invaluable for liaison with conventional forces. In Burma in particular, SOE could draw on many former forestry managers and so on, who had become fluent in Burman or other local languages before the war, and who had been commissioned into the Army when the Japanese invaded Burma.

"FRECCIA" or "Arrow" named after 'Freccia' Engineer battalion of the Decima MAS

"LA SPEZIA"; one of the most important Italian harbors of the WWII

And finally "SILURE" named after Siluri Lenta Corsa or Maiale subs used by Italian frogmen in WW2.

Enjoy the photos :)

Banned

enjoy the photos ;)

Banned

"Tesei" strap :-)
    I named it after Teseo Tesei; famed Italian inventor of Siluri Lenta Corsa (Maiale).

Journeyman

Nicely made straps, leatherwork takes time to do well and these look the part!

Barry

Very nice!
    Got three veg tanned shoulders in the garage, must get some tools next.
    Any suggestions for suppliers?

Cheers,

Gav

Master

That's beautiful that is. :)

Banned

Thanks mate, I appreciate it :wink:

20mm HEYERDAHL I made for Fred's KonTiki :)

The straps look great and I loved the ammo straps. Each time I notice you have some for sale, they are always sold out :(

Journeyman

Diaboliq,
    Very impressive straps and thanks for the back stories - they were a great read and I really enjoyed reading this thread.

Take care

Very, very nice straps
    "A man of little significance"

Banned

Thank you guys, I really really appreciate your comments.

Banned

Strap I'm currently making for a buddy of mine.. 24mm officer's satchel leather; 24 mm

Still needs some stitching ;)

Banned

WOOOHOOO! Fred put my Heyerdahl strap on Mark XVI
    Thanks Fred! :bounce:

WOW, fantastic craftsmanship!! Hats off to you sir!

Force 136, FRECCIA, La Spezia are all stunning. If you happen have a spare one, just let me know :)

Banned

Just finished few more 8)

1. ABWEHR strap [SOLD]

The Abwehr was a German military intelligence (information gathering) organisation from 1921 to 1944. The term Abwehr (German for defence) was used as a concession to Allied demands that Germany's post-World War I intelligence activities be for "defensive" purposes only. After 4 February 1938, its name in title was Foreign Affairs/Defence Office of the Armed Forces High Command (Amt Ausland/Abwehr im Oberkommando der Wehrmacht).

Despite its name implying counterespionage, the Abwehr was an intelligence-gathering agency and dealt exclusively with human intelligence, especially raw intelligence reports from field agents and other sources. The Chief of the Abwehr reported directly to the High Command of the Armed Forces (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, or OKW). Intelligence summaries and intelligence dissemination were the prerogative of the Operations Branch, (as distinct from the Intelligence Branch), of the OKW, and through it to the intelligence-evaluation sections of the Army (Heer), the Navy (Kriegsmarine), and the Air Force (Luftwaffe).[1] The headquarters (HQ) of the Abwehr were located at 76/78 Tirpitzufer, Berlin, adjacent to the offices of the OKW

2. OBERKOMMANDO strap

3. LANGSDORFF Strap

Hans Langsdorff - Kapitän zur See Hans Wilhelm Langsdorff (20 March 1894 – 19 December 1939) was a German naval officer, most famous for his command of the Panzerschiff (pocket battleship) Admiral Graf Spee during the Battle of the River Plate. On 21 August 1939 Admiral Graf Spee left port with orders to raid enemy commercial shipping in the South Atlantic following the outbreak of the Second World War. For the first three weeks of the war the ship hid in the open ocean east of Brazil while the German government determined how serious Britain was about the war. On 20 September 1939, Admiral Graf Spee was released to carry out its orders.

Over the next ten weeks, Langsdorff and Admiral Graf Spee were extremely successful, stopping and sinking nine British merchant ships, totalling over 50,000 tons. Langsdorff adhered to the Hague Conventions and avoiding killing anyone; his humane treatment won the respect of the ships' officers detained as his prisoners.

However Langsdorff's luck ran out on the morning of 13 December 1939 when his lookouts reported sighting a British cruiser and two destroyers. 'Admiral Graf Spee' now suffered engine fatigue that reduced her top speed to 23kn. After Langsdorff had committed his ship to the attack it became apparent that the destroyers were in fact light cruisers (HMS Ajax and HMS Achilles) in addition to the heavy cruiser HMS Exeter. Naval analysts claim that Langsdorff then committed a grievous tactical error. His ship outgunned all his opponents, having 11 inch (280 mm) main guns, to Exeter’s 8 inch (200 mm) and Ajax and Achilles’ 6 inch (150 mm) guns. They say he should have concentrated his fire on Exeter first, before Admiral Graf Spee came within range of the lighter ships. Instead, it seemed that Langsdorff split his fire between the three targets. In fact, Langsdorff attacked Exeter with all main guns but a minor fault in the forward turret caused a brief interruption. Exeter was severely damaged and forced to withdraw within half an hour. But she had sent an 8-inch shell into the German warship that won the day. This shell destroyed steam boilers needed to operate the ship’s fuel cleaning system. Langsdorff learned that he had 16 hours of pre cleaned fuel in his ready tanks—with no hope of replacement or repairs to the system at sea. Soon, the two light cruisers got into range and scored 20 hits on Admiral Graf Spee, including the food stores and bakeries. Simultaneously, Langsdorff and the British commodore decided to break off the action, Langsdorff heading for the neutral port of Montevideo in Uruguay to make repairs.

The Uruguayan authorities followed international treaties and, although granting an extra 72 hours stay over the normal 24 hours, required that Admiral Graf Spee leave port by 20:00 on 17 December 1939 or else be interned for the duration of the war. Langsdorff sought orders from Berlin, and was given instructions that the ship was not to be interned in Uruguay (which was sympathetic to Britain); he could try to take the ship to the friendlier Buenos Aires in Argentina although it was thought that the channel was not sufficiently deep for the ship; he could take the ship out to sea to battle the British forces again (though British propaganda was trying to persuade people that a large British force already lay in wait for him—though in fact it would not be able to arrive for five days); or he could scuttle the ship. However, on reaching the limit of Uruguayan territorial waters she stopped, and her crew was taken off by Argentine barges. Shortly thereafter, planted charges blew up Admiral Graf Spee and she settled into the shallow water (today she has settled in the mud and lies in 7–8 meters of water, depending on the tide).

He lay on Admiral Graf Spee's battle ensign and shot himself forestalling any allegations that he had avoided further action through cowardice. Another motivation was Langsdorff's desire to go down with the Graf Spee. He was talked out of such an action by his officers, who convinced him that his leadership was still needed in seeking amnesty for his crew. Once the fate of the Graf Spee's crew was decided, Langsdorff killed himself over her ensign as a symbolic act of going down with his ship.

Hans Langsdorff was buried in the German section of the La Chacarita Cemetery in Buenos Aires, Argentina and was honoured by both sides in the battle for his honourable conduct.

Fantastic, I love the LANGSDORFF; that a great talent you have.

Master

helping to make the watches look very unique

Banned

Thank you guys; you give me the fuel to continue ;)

This is the new one I made for Mike.. I called it The Pacha

(no back story here ;)

amazing straps,wonderful storys,i need more watches :lol:

& love your signature :D

cheers my friend
    Miro

Banned

Hvala prijatelju ;)

THE NOTTURNO

(Made for Anthony [MN])

Banned

Strap I'm currently making for a buddy of mine.. 24mm officer's satchel leather; 24 mm

Still needs some stitching ;)

And it arrived to the States! :)

Yeah, it's a homage allright..

Banned

JBT | BROZ strap

THE MUTT

Banned

(Thank you J.M.)