closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My First 'Proper' watch from the '60's...

Craftsman

My First 'Proper' watch from the '60's...

I came across my first 'Proper' watch yesterday, bought new by my Mother
    way back around 1965 ish, it has never been seviced, nor had the back off.
    It still keeps good time, chrono works as it should. Has anyone got any
    information on the brand (Craftsman), or what it maybe worth please?
    John

Master

Re: My First 'Proper' watch from the '60's...

I've no idea what it is worth, but that would look stunning with a tidy up.

I'd guess that the movement was probably a valjoux.

Twenty minutes with some Polywatch and a Cape Cod and the addition of a NATO would really turn that around although you know that you need to get it serviced . When I first saw the picture I assumed it was a Wakmann. Very nice and not bad at all for a first watch!

Master

Craftsman was owned by SH De Roy and co. Pittsburgh USA. Name was registered in 1924

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RQpS ... an&f=false

regards

tim

Looks nice, generic case and movement.

Possibly a Landeron.

If the first button starts and stops chrono = Valjoux

If first button starts and second button stops chrono = Landeron.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Neil gave a good answer - just a little addition. generic in this case means case and movement bought in and put together - under many different brand names.

Mostly here, it would be Landeron in the 48/48 serie - or Valjoux 7733 - and the difference is found as described by Neil. The guess on those specific movements for me come from the text on the back-case - Stainless steel back. This would indicate that the back is stainless steel, and the rest of the watch is then chromed. The use of that combination, in most cases indicates the use of a cam switched movement - as opposed to the more expensive pillar wheel movement (referring to the start, stop and return method of the chrono-hands.

Polywatch can clear the glass best, but you do not have to go out to get that in the first place. Take some good toothpaste and rub it dry, around and around on the glass in cirkular meovements for 3-5 minutes. Make it a bit wet and continue a minute, and then wipe of with cloth of toilet-tissue. Just use wet cloth there, do not hold if long time under running water, as gaskets may have (will have) dried out - so it is not really water proof. If you need to wash a little under hot water, do short with crown and pushers turning down.

Consider giving it a new band - same style I think, but new, and in full with (this one seems to have been 1 mm to narrow - but that can also be time and wear)

I LOVE those 1960th chronos - they look great. My older son of 33 is very often, when joining me to the bank to swap watches "diving down" in my case and picking just such a 60 thing - and leaving Rolex or other fine (more expensive) things behind - he enjoys it so much

Something like this:

br

Journeyman

Great find. I 'found" a Zodiac Seawolf recently, new crystal and service and it is a joy to wear.

That's right up my street :) Looks like a Landeron to me as well. If the pusher by the 4 is slightly further from the crown, thats a sign of a higher grade mov't [as used by Rolex Breitling Nivada etc] I would'nt go mad with it, just a quick clean up with a bit of toothpaste as suggested, and a bit of silvo on the case.
    An old 20mm Tropic/Rally type strap would really light the fuse.
    Value wise if that was mine I would'nt take less than £250 for it.

Very educational gents.

Is the 45min subdial register (ike on the Rotary Aquaplunge) normal for the Landeron or is that not an indicator at all?

I would say yes
    br

It's an indicator it is a Landeron 148.

The 48 has a 30 min register.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

The 7733 has a 45 min subdial sometimes - I have an O&W like that.

Totally agree about 60s chronos generally... very stylish and usually a very wearable size.

Master

Hi,
    That is a very nice watch. If that was mine I would clean up the crystal as described above with either toothpaste(for light scratches) or polly watch for more serious scratches. In the past on some crystals that really needed replacing I have used 600 grit wet and dry (using the 600 dry, rub the crystal very lighty all over with the 600 grit, this will highlight any deeper scratches, keep rubbing gently until they dissapear, wipe clean with a damp clean cloth, dry it and then either polywatch the crystal or use solvol. The case is chromed so I would just use a tooth brush dipped in warm water that has had a small amount of "squirty" hand wash added to it, shake off the excess water and gently scrub the case, once clean wipe with a clean damp cloth and then dry it with a micro fibre cloth, put a nice strap on it and wear it with pride.
    All the best
    Steve

All good advise from Revolvingjones - just to add - do NOT use a machine for polishing the acryl/Hersalith "glas". It will heat it up and result in a point of the glas coming down in a "vally". It is only hand job, but you can absolutely follow Revolvingjones way - hand-job, and it can become very clear and nice. Why not let us the before and after shot to convince all

br

Lovely watch that, i've picked up a couple similar style ones off eBay. As mentoned, a little bit of work polishing and a new strap and that will come up lovely, a very nice heirloom :)

that's a nice example of a very common generic dive chrono case from the '60-'70s. you'll see them sell on ebay for anything up to $750, depending on condition, brand name, stainless or chrome case, and aesthetic. unless its got an Aquastar Deepstar dial in which case it'll go for $2k+.

get it cleaned up and serviced, you'll have a nice one to wear and enjoy. yours looks like it's a chromed case, so go easy on the case polishing. they look good on a variety of straps. got a few myself:

Rotary Aquaplunge with a Landeron 154. I'm not familiar with other Landeron chronos, but this one starts/stops with the top pusher, resets with the bottom.

this caribbean 200 has a Val 7730 with a similar layout as yours with a 30 min sub dial.

best regards

Craftsman

My First 'Proper' watch from the '60's...New Pix

Thanks to everyone for your comments, thoughts, opinions
    and mainly, Advice. I have used the toothpaste on the glass,
    and a polishing compound that I use on my knives for the case.
    It has come up a treat. Tried the black NATO (18mm) and the
    Bond NATO (22mm), I will have to buy a 20mm Nato now, as
    I think it does suit this type of strap, better than leather.
    See what you think.......

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvingjones
    Hi,
    That is a very nice watch. If that was mine I would clean up the crystal as described above with either toothpaste(for light scratches) or polly watch for more serious scratches. In the past on some crystals that really needed replacing I have used 600 grit wet and dry (using the 600 dry, rub the crystal very lighty all over with the 600 grit, this will highlight any deeper scratches, keep rubbing gently until they dissapear, wipe clean with a damp clean cloth, dry it and then either polywatch the crystal or use solvol. The case is chromed so I would just use a tooth brush dipped in warm water that has had a small amount of "squirty" hand wash added to it, shake off the excess water and gently scrub the case, once clean wipe with a clean damp cloth and then dry it with a micro fibre cloth, put a nice strap on it and wear it with pride.
    All the best
    Steve
    Thank you for the tip Steve,just tried on one of my manky ones works a treat,not sure about the pride bit though!