closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is your must have top 3, 5 or 10?

What is your must have top 3, 5 or 10?

I am trying to be rational and and slim down the remainder of my collection to a level I don't feel guilty over and slowly add to if needs be in the future - my tastes have changed a little of late and I am finding it difficult to decide.

Do I keep my older watches - or my newer watches for example - has anyone gone through this process and come up with a decent way of deciding? I thought restricting myself to dive watches would do it - but I still have far too many and keep adding more - HELP! :drunken:

My top 10 out of what's at currently at home.

1) SD all versions in my collection.
    2) 2254
    3) LV

4) GV
    5) 116509

6) GMTIIc (although to be honest numbers 3-6 are interchangeable dependant on the time of day for me :roll: )

7) 2531
    8) Anonimo Millimetri
    9) GMT 16750
    10) SMP Black Bond

I would seriously like to some input into must haves - I won't buy any Breitling (I like the one have), IWC (love them but don't want to collect another brand), same with JLC.

I am determined to reduce my overall collection to about 10 watches in total this year and I know it is going to be hard.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

Re: What is your must have top 3, 5 or 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    1) SD all versions in my collection.
    2) 2254
    3) LV

4) GV
    5) 116509

6) GMTIIc (although to be honest numbers 3-6 are interchangeable dependant on the time of day for me :roll: )

7) 2531
    8) Anonimo Millimetri
    9) GMT 16750
    10) SMP Black Bond
    That just looks like a list of popular watches amongst WIS rather than someone's collection (I don't know what all the numbers mean though - throw us a bone, manufacturer-wise?).

Collections should reflect one's individuality to some degree. They're nice watches, but there's not a lot in there that gives away your personality, I'm afraid :(. Therefore, no such thing as something that someone tells you you must have, because you aren't them, and it doesn't follow that you must have it. Unless you are seeking some form of acceptance.

Nothing in my list would be mass-market mass-produced, with the possible exception of a B&R that 99% of B&R buyers don't even know exists.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

These watches are all fairly similar. I'd keep the few that you have most bond with or wear most frequently. Given that some of them are interchangable I doubt you'd miss some of them too much

:idea: @ Omegamaniac - send the two you like least to me. I will love and cherish them for you! :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

Just to stir the mix. It could be argued only one is a must have, more are unnecessary to us all :!:

Master

I wouldn't say must haves but the list of stuff I keep looking at is chrono's from the late 60's early 70's and the Seiko MM300, none of which looks like it would fit in your list though apart from perhaps the MM300. Collections are a difficult thing to pin down in terms of theme, I don't really see myself as a collector hence the urge to thin down to maybe 2 or 3 watches, having said that recently I realised that every watch I have has a different movement and tbh subconsciously this was a factor in why I ended up with such a set so perhaps chronographs from the 70's with different movements as a theme? :? I hate this stuff just buy what you like.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Just to stir the mix. It could be argued only one is a must have, more are unnecessary to us all :!:
    Thats just crazy talk :lol:

I cant help OP... I had 1 then 5 was the limit then at 10 I was buying no more and I think al least 10 have come in since then :shock:

My problem is when rare or interesting or great deals come up I cant help but convince my self that I have to buy it

Banned

Top three

Family
    Health
    Wealth

1) something "do it all" - Rolex Sea-Dweller
    2) something vintage and hard to get - perhaps Doxa 300T Divingstar
    3) something dressy and exclusive - e.g. Richard Mille (one day :wink:)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    1) SD all versions in my collection. Rolex 1665, 1665 and 16600,older and current Sea-dwellers.
    2) 2254 = Black Omega SMP with sword hands
    3) LV =Green Sub

4) GV = Rolex Milgauss
    5) Rolex 116509 = White Gold Daytona

6) Rolex GMTIIc (although to be honest numbers 3-6 are interchangeable dependant on the time of day for me :roll: )

7) 2531 = orginal Omega auto Blue Bond SMP
    8) Anonimo Millimetri
    9) Rolex GMT 16750
    10) Omega SMP Black Bond
    That just looks like a list of popular watches amongst WIS rather than someone's collection (I don't know what all the numbers mean though - throw us a bone, manufacturer-wise?).

Collections should reflect one's individuality to some degree. They're nice watches, but there's not a lot in there that gives away your personality, I'm afraid :(. Therefore, no such thing as something that someone tells you you must have, because you aren't them, and it doesn't follow that you must have it. Unless you are seeking some form of acceptance.

Nothing in my list would be mass-market mass-produced, with the possible exception of a B&R that 99% of B&R buyers don't even know exists.
    I take your point Andrew - the list of 10 is my usual rotation or my favorite watches out of a collection of now over 40 watches and listed to give a flavour of what I am wearing and don't really want to let go; rather than some of the rarer or more exotic pieces, which to be honest I'm not wearing or don't favor anymore.

I am slimming down a lot of areas of my life and watches are jsut one - I am trying to get some ideas and canvass other people's view to try and make soem kind of informed decision - Rational is not something I have ever been with watches before. I have got all the watches out on many occassions and it really is difficult to even put soem to one side to be culled, never mind actually puttign them up for sale!

Granite Quarry - looks like the most sensible list - but I don't think I coudl get down to three - maybe with baby steps I'll get their one day - but at present it looks like a level of enlightenment that is beyond meagre comprehension.

taffytoon - of course - my family come first and Health and Happiness are the number one priorities - wealth would be nice too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Now thats just plain heresy! Build the wicker man, I feel we may have a sacrificial lamb!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Apprentice

My top 3 wannahaves:

1. Oris TT3 - 7589
    2. Glycine - incursore 44mm
    3. Oris F1 - 7613

Master

Top 3:

1. A Chrono with a Lemania 5100 movement, preferably in Titanium - my Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut LE, 644.27.142, will do nicely, thank you. At least it will, once I can get it serviced and back to reasonable accuracy.
    2. A do it all quartz, as a timecheck, travel watch, etc - an Omega X-33 Gen 2 would do nicely.
    3. A beater of some sort. Currently, a Revue Tommen Airspeed Classic chrono - also with a Lemania 5100 - which I like enough (though not quite as much as the Fortis) to wear it even when I don't have to. If I had enough money, I'd have a Planet Ocean 42mm as my beater.

Make it 5 and I'll add
    4. A desirable classic of some sort - Rolex GMT Master II, Speedy Pro, or a Rolex Sub / Milsub
    5. A watch with some sort of sentimental, personal attachment - my old, issued CWC W10 Navigator, though I'm also fond of its unissued big brother CWC Quartz Chronograph

Not sure about the other five, though - almost too much choice...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Top three

Family
    Health
    Wealth

+1

1; Breitling for Bentley GT with white face
    2; Seamaster Bond
    3; Breitling Colt II automatic
    4; Audemars Piquet ROO (dunno which version, will take a couple of years i'm afraid)

But it never stops i guess