closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My New Arrival - Ball Hydrocarbon Classic I (Image Heavy!)

Craftsman

My New Arrival - Ball Hydrocarbon Classic I (Image Heavy!)

It's been a good few months of painful decision making, finding the next watch to add to my very limited collection. It started with an interest in Traser watches, which later transformed into an unhealthy lusting for a Stowa Seatime Blue (and an increase in budget), and progressed back to my need for a radioactive fix (and a bigger increase in budget!) in the form of a Ball :)

It's also been a difficult few weeks sourcing this particular model, although I'm happy to say that it is now here and on my wrist as I type, and I'm not disappointed!

Firstly, there is a fasinating history behind how Ball watches came to be; In 1891 there was a train collision between the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway trains at Kipton, Ohio, which occurred because an engineer's watch had stopped. The railroad officials commissioned Webb C. Ball as their Chief Time Inspector, in order to establish precision standards and a reliable timepiece inspection system for railroad chronometers.

This is the reason why all Ball watches carry the 'Official RailRoad Standard' and 'RR' markings across the range - There is also a few pages on the history of Ball in the owner's manual, which is a nice touch :) Right! Onto the Hydrocarbon Classic I:

The specifications include an ETA 2892-2 movement modified by Ball to endure temperatures as low as -40C, 16 tritium permanent light gas tubes, a shock resistance of 7,500G, anti-magnetic rating of 12,000 A/m, 300M water resistant, 4mm anti-reflective sapphire glass and patented crown protection system.

My first impressions focused on how solid the watch feels! It is a chunky piece of stainless steel, which wears on the wrist a lot larger than it really is - At 40mm in diameter the dial is fairly small, although the thick 180-click luminova-filled bezel, crown protection clasp and lengthy, aggressively curved shoulders add to the overall size :) It's also rather heavy weighing in at 203grams!

The sides of the case, sides of the links and crown protection clasp have a polished finish and beautifully contrast with the brushed finish of the bezel, shoulders and surface of the bracelet.

The curvature of the shoulders sit perfectly on my 7.5" wrist and prevent any slippage, as well as being extremely comfortable to wear. However when it is not on your wrist, the design on the case back can be admired ;) The EHC I receives an engraving of the Bathyscaphe Trieste, a Swiss-designed deep-diving boat, which reached a record breaking depth of 10,900 metres in the Marianas Trench. It is nicely presented and is supposed to symbolise the fact that this watch is designed for adverse conditions, but perhaps a bit overboard for a 300M rating? ;) It also states the -40C endurance that the movement is capable of withstanding.

Now for main attraction! ;) The radioactive tritium tubes! From some of the pictures shown on the Internet it looks as if they glow wildly in low level light conditions, and they may do with larger tubes or tubes with higher tritium content. However the slimline tubes on the EHC I are difficult to see if there is any ambient light in room ... It needs to be pretty dark for them to glow, but that said, when they do it's pretty damn cool! 8) The tubes are nowhere near as bright as super-luminova, but will continue to burn through the night when super-luminova has faded away.

I also seem to have an updated bezel in comparison to some of the other EHC's I've seen on the Internet. Mine has a bezel dot at 12, which has it's own tritium tube 8) Here are some badly taken pics with the help of UV:

The clasp is solid and fairly thick in size. It clicks tightly into place, as well as the fold over piece, which is just as difficult to open when closed! :lol: It is very secure and is finished with the 'RR' marking. The bracelet also incorporates a hidden fold out extension for wearing the watch over a wetsuit.

The level of detail on this watch is most excellent! I personally love the date being at 4:30, the intricate crown protection clasp, the text font on the dial and the guilloche finish on the dial, which no pictures can do justice and needs to be seen in real life to fully appreciate - Beautiful! I love the fact that the dial seems to subtly change in colour in differing light levels ...

I am well chuffed and can see why Ball is becoming increasingly popular - I'd definitely buy another, perhaps a Spacemaster next time :) However I quite fancy a Steinhart Aviation or Speedmaster Date next!

Some more pics to finish :D

Master

Re: My New Arrival - Ball Hydrocarbon Classic I (Image Heavy!)

Thanks for taking the time to write that one up. I've never really looked at Ball watches before, but there has been an elevated level of interest in them over the last few weeks.

Might just have to think about getting one of these in the future and I too am looking at the Steinhart Aviation :wink:

Good review, looks like it was worth the wait. :)

Now that is the way to present a new arrival.

The specifications include an ETA 2892-2 movement modified by Ball to endure temperatures as low as -40C, you say. I wonder what modifications Ball made in order for the movement to endure temperatures as low as that.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

The specifications include an ETA 2892-2 movement modified by Ball to endure temperatures as low as -40C, you say. I wonder what modifications Ball made in order for the movement to endure temperatures as low as that.

It's a secret. :P

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Nice write up..thanks for that.
    I think Ball have been sneaking under the radar for a while and deserve a bit more attention. I have a Engineer Master II Moonphase myself...one of my favourite watches.
    That's not to say that Ball are perfect-i've tried on some that seem a bit flimsily built-i think it just comes down to handling a few and forming your own decision.
    That Hydrocarbon is nice though :)

Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. As you say, nice profile. Love the lugs. You can see where the double lug-holes come from. Time to get rid of that nasty Omega too. :P

I keep saying it that I like Ball watches much more than I should. Here is a company that picked up the original Ball tradition and run with it, offering watches that are not copies of the originals but are inspired by them and brought to the present tastes. A couple of weeks ago I saw a very powerful gent from the far east, sporting a Ball (Engineer Master II Aviator). He is a mad WIS, who most of the time wears top-end vintage stuff, his latest toy is a VC 1921 (above). I surprised to see his wearing the Ball. Perhaps he was given it, perhaps he liked the ‘tritium’ tube effect. Whatever the case, the day after, he had the 1921 back on. I haven’t been to work for a couple of weeks … but I am dying to see if he wears the Ball again.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

It's a secret. :P
    ... something to do with a special oil being used. Sinn and Panerai use the same 'secret oil' in a couple of their models.

john
    Every watch a story.

Thats a Beauty!!
    Wear it in good health :)

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    ... something to do with a special oil being used. Sinn and Panerai use the same 'secret oil' in a couple of their models.
    john
    Aaaahh, that makes sense. Trust you to have the answer for that one. Now that you mention it, I remember Sinn used a special oil in some of their models, but it was new to me, that PAM also joined the club. Thx.

BTW That Tudor looks great. Seems to me, I have seen the design of the crown protector before, but I can not remember where.

Apprentice

Realy nice watch. Well done

Very nice, congrats :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Great review of a very interesting watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    Thanks for taking the time to write that one up. I've never really looked at Ball watches before, but there has been an elevated level of interest in them over the last few weeks.

Might just have to think about getting one of these in the future and I too am looking at the Steinhart Aviation :wink:
    Thanks all :)

I'm quite tempted by the PVD black Aviation with Havana Vintage strap ... Looks like a good colour combination! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonimouse

I'm quite tempted by the PVD black Aviation with Havana Vintage strap ... Looks like a good colour combination! :)

Careful, that's a big watch and being square it wears even bigger. I was tempted by the early ones without the seconds ... pity they discontinued them. If you ever get the chance check-out the case construction. It gives the Ananta a run for its money.

john
    Every watch a story.