closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bank Vaults

Blog Entries

Bank Vaults

Hi - just wondering what your experiences are of keeping your watches in bank vaults? Does anyone do that? If so - how do you arrange this - it seems most High St branches are turning into coffee shops these days?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Re: Bank Vaults

Not something I would ever consider - even when I did work in a bank.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Perhaps given his other posts the OP has more than security in mind:
    The wife would never know exactly what was in there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stolid
    Perhaps given his other posts the OP has more than security in mind:
    The wife would never know exactly what was in there.
    Good point!

On topic though - I notice on US forums the guys talk about going down to their bank to take out a watch - but I haven't a clue even if that's possible in the UK?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Banned

course its possible my bank 'natwest' does it, speak to your bank manager. i think a small fee ,every time you want to deposit or access your valuables, is applicable

Master

Some people keep them in safe deposit boxes. They must live in some very tough neighborhoods :mrgreen:

Enquired at my bank about this a couple years ago - Bank of Scotland - they no longer have such a service here in Aberdeen! :(

Safe deposit boxes are commonly available in the US. I keep the valuable jewelry, watches and important papers there.
    Boxes run about $50-250/yr depending on size. I can go and get anything at any time during working hours for free. You go in the vault with a bank employee, you both unlock the box with your keys and you take the box to a private room. When you are done, you reverse the process. Easy, safe and cheap security for really high value items. I insure as well, but if I didn't, the item wouldn't leave the vault. If I had a 1000 kg safe in the basement, I might reconsider. My bank is only a couple miles from my home, so anything is always readily available.
    BTW, my neighborhood is about as far from shady as you can get. :wink:

Journeyman

If you have the room you can have a refurbished safe delivered for about £300.

http://www.atozsafes.com/safe/2398/D...ef.aspx?stat=r

Master

Most large high street branches do this, certainly HSBC, Nat West & Barclays (I have enquired at all of them at one time or another). Not like the US system where there are joint key holders, more like you present your valuables in a box of some sort, I use a mid size locking petty cash tin, and the bank keep them on a shelf in the main walk in safe.

Cost is around £40 year, with variable charges for access to the item removal/addition, typically around £10-15 a visit.

Not bad cost wise, if you have infrequent wearers or a bigger collection, even if just for going on holiday for peace of mind, if not on a more permanent basis.

Master

Also, I imagine in ther bigger cities there will be companies that provide the US style deposit box system

Bit of a pain in the arse if you change your mind on what to wear at the last minute :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman

Hi

I also use a box in the bank. The cost is around 65 pounds a year, and i have free and easy access to it during normal working hours.

I go into the bank, past all the people working there, and they give me a ok to proceed to the boxroom.
    Then i open a door with a keycard, go down the stairs, open another door with the keycard and a personal code, and then i am in the room where my box is located.
    I have my own key for it, so a guy from the bank is not needed in the room itself. (only one person can be in the room at all times)
    Here i have a box thats big enough to store plenty of watchboxes. (much more than i have) + my wifes jewlery.
    When we go on vacation, i also place laptops and stuff, that i would like to still have, when i come home, in there :P

And no, i do not live in a rough neigborhood. However, better safe than sorry.

Best regards.
    Kim

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Bit of a pain in the arse if you change your mind on what to wear at the last minute :lol:
    Yes :) - bit of planning required, but keep 4 or 6 out for regular wear and a visit 2 or 3 times a year for a shuffle round aint so bad.

Hassle is all relative to the size/value of your collection and required levels of peace of mind I guess, I started putting them in the bank when I went on holiday (not sure if more likley to get burgled if on holiday :?: , but if felt safer)

It's an option, as is a home safe or all the other tricks - leaving a "lesser" model on show and have the goodies hidden away for example.

I've just had a fireproof safe installed - weighs 45 kgs, bolts to the concrete floor, and is in a very awkward-to-reach spot (took two of us an entire morning to instal, so it won't be going anywhere in a hurry). I prefer this option to a bank vault as - although not as secure - it is secure enough for my purposes, and I have access to my watches whenever I want. I would like a gun, a few piles of dollar bills, and perhaps some espionage photos in a manila envelope to go in the safe along wth my watches and passport though 8) .

Actually, I do keep photo negatives in the safe too - holiday/family shots etc - those are irreplaceable.

Master

Depending on bank, branch, location & bank manager safe deposit boxes can be an excellent idea.

Potentially great for the will + long-term valuables. You can even store watch cases/boxes/papers so they are not with your watches. Minimal cost for utter peace of mind IMO.

Well said Peter, but what has the bank manager got to do with it? :? :?

Cheers

Stern

Master

You wouldn't say that if you had met my bank manager :wink:

Oh well that explains it then :D :D

Master

A guy at our Edinburgh office who collects Pateks keeps his at the bank. Probably not worth it to store Monsters :D

Craftsman

I have my watches at the bank here in Oslo.
    A very cheap insurance...

/CJ-

Master

I have a safe deposit box, barely use it other than when going abroad for more than a weekend, although I have a few documents and some gold in there all year round. The day I opened the account I walked there from work with most of my watches and some bits and bobs, and would have made a mugger extremely happy if my bag had been pinched.

It's with this firm http://www.metropolitansafedeposits.co.uk/index.php - no complaints about them so far.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor
    I started putting them in the bank when I went on holiday (not sure if more likley to get burgled if on holiday :?: , but if felt safer)
    I would say that is a definite yes. My parents house was burgled twice, both times when on holiday. My own place later on was burgled at the weekend when everyone was out. Pretty gutting really as I have had my SLR gear nicked when I was 18 and I had to work in Tesco's in the evenings to save for that, then several years later my guitar was nicked.

What you need is one of these at home or in the office... plenty of room for all your precious things, can even accommodate the wife :lol:

Journeyman

Gunsafes are make very good safes for valuables, considering the general requirement that they be bolted to the wall/floor. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I have a safe deposit box, barely use it other than when going abroad for more than a weekend, although I have a few documents and some gold in there all year round. The day I opened the account I walked there from work with most of my watches and some bits and bobs, and would have made a mugger extremely happy if my bag had been pinched.

It's with this firm http://www.metropolitansafedeposits.co.uk/index.php - no complaints about them so far.
    I use the same people :thumbup:

I generally keep 5 or 6 watches at home, and the rest in the safety deposit box. It's not the most convenient way of doing it (I make a withdrawal and rotate the wearers every week or so), but a great deal cheaper than insuring the whole collection at home.

The other advantage is Mrs T doesn't get to see how many there are :D

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    Like it 8)

this thread has got me thinking, i have had a quick google and havn't found anything for my area.
    anybody know of any in the durham area??

cheers
    chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    Like it 8)

this thread has got me thinking, i have had a quick google and havn't found anything for my area.
    anybody know of any in the durham area??

cheers
    chris.

Can't help with that mate but you can always send a few of 'em over and I'll take good care of 'em for ya :P :D

How's married life treatin ya BTW?

Cheers

Stern

I keep mine on my wrist! if someone wants to take it they can try! although I am more expensive than a vault rent. still post your pride and joys to me they will be safe I promise

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Can't help with that mate but you can always send a few of 'em over and I'll take good care of 'em for ya :P :D
    what a very kind offer, that just shows how strong a community we have here at TZ-UK, every one is allways willing to help out. :lol: :lol:

How's married life treatin ya BTW?
    treating me!!, well put it this way i havnt had a new watch sine doom day (last tuesday)......well ok i have had 2 but they were ordered before the actual day so they dont count :wink:

apart from that its going ok, apart from the divorce next week when she takes all my watches off me and leaves me with the kids........there not even bloody mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop
    Gunsafes make very good safes for valuables...
    ...works for me too :wink:

jw