closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommended RC watch/clock?

Recommended RC watch/clock?

It may be a little OCD, but I think I need a radio controlled watch or clock so that I can check the time accurately. My autos are not the most accurate pieces out there but it would be nice if I could get them right occasionally.
    Do I just go and get a cheapo Casio that'll do the job or is there something with a little more 'cred' I could look at?

Craftsman

Re: Recommended RC watch/clock?

Have a look at the Roberts Radio range, I have a Roberts Milano clock radio and cant fault it.

I've got one of these:

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/ ... /index.htm

And also a weather station with a clock which uses a radio time signal:

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-L ... ation.html

Haven't checked to see if they both show the same time, though!

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by lordgrover
    Do I just go and get a cheapo Casio that'll do the job or is there something with a little more 'cred' I could look at?
    GW-M5600, aka best watch in the real world. 8)

I have the PVD version of this Seiko Power Design. Comfortable and of course atomically accurate.
    http://kseiya.zoovy.com/product/S-SBPG0 ... PG001.html

Thanks for replies thus far.

Hadn't thought of a clock radio, may have some mileage...
    I'm leaning towards the SBPG001 just mentioned, retro-chic I think is the term.

ETA. Apols, should've said not so keen in the G-Shocks - I drive a desk for a living and do nothing more exciting than drink beer and schmoke tabs so I think the rugged look is a little incongruous on me. More the lumberjack/climber/ATB type person I think.

I agree with Glamdring, here's a link to few pics of my my non PVD version.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87684&p=904455&hilit=seiko#p90 4455

Great watch with all the functions you need and easy to understand.

Cheers,

Gary

Alarm clock would be the cheap option, and perfectly fine as a reference - I have a couple and they agree to within a second as you'd expect.

But I've always fancied an RC watch... I put a WTB up not long ago for an SBPG001, but fat chance, these guys are hanging on to theirs!!! So earlier today Seiya got my money, and I'm now impatient to get it, like a child looking at presents under the tree on Christmas eve :lol:
    So that's not exactly a recommendation, but I'm very confident I'm going to be happy with it when it arrives :D

Please read the description here: click.
    Raised a smile here.

I'm sorely tempted to buy another one of those.

Omegary has kindly offered to bring his to the local TZ-UK meet tomorrow night so I'll get to see one 'in the metal' before I cough up me hard-earned on an LCD quartz. 8)

The believe the first radio controlled watch was introduced by Junghans in 1990.

Had a few of their Mega 1 digital watches which was their first offering.

They now do a range of digital and aanalogue models.

Not the cheapest but well made.

I have a Junghans radio controlled watch (Spektral) and I can't fault it.

Now I have a couple more watches in my collection I will use it to set them, since in the six years I've had it it has always been spot on with the speaking clock (when I get OCD and call to test it is still accurate) and the pips on R4.

I also got a £10 white plastic radio controlled wall clock from Argos a few years ago and that has performed well too. Not as stylish as the Junghans, but fine on the kitchen wall. It goes haywire when the batteries are running down though.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Here's a thought: could you use a GPS unit for this purpose. I was listening to Radio 4 earlier and these seem to use highly accurate time stamps to calculate where you are. You may want to factor in latency (600 millisceonds?) I suppose.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    Here's a thought: could you use a GPS unit for this purpose. I was listening to Radio 4 earlier and these seem to use highly accurate time stamps to calculate where you are. You may want to factor in latency (600 millisceonds?) I suppose.
    I thought the latency was less than that, and the unit could correct for it... however, comparing TomTom to RC clock, the TomTom does appear to lag a little, possibly just a delay in updating it's screen since it only redraws about twice a second.

Anyway, yes you can, if the unit displays the time somewhere with seconds. TomTom shows it on it's satellite info screen:

Shortly after posting I did a litle search. There is apparently several issues with the concept; the first one being that the devices do not have processor priorities assigned for reporting the correct time on the user interface.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    I'm sorely tempted to buy another one of those.
    Same, I had one and flipped it the day it arrived, but I think it will be a current/future classic... :)

Mate i have a Casio EQW-M1000 Edifice watch and it syncs effortlessly every morning plus it can pick up a signal in virtually every part of the World.Junghans range is also exceptional or You could check out the newest Citizen Chrono-Time AT range as advertised by South African Cricketer,Kevin Pietersen(I'm sorry but he ain't an Englishman and no amount of England tattoos will convince Me).All depends on what Your budget is.

He's an England (as opposed to English) cricketer born in SA. I do note he performs badly every time he faces SA. We have an Irish born player in the team too.

I think the OP has quite a few options now. No reason not to buy one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    I think the OP has quite a few options now. No reason not to buy one of them!
    Yep.
    So many in fact it's probably made it more difficult than when I started. :lol:

Thanks TZ-Massive.