closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 6309 Marinemaster mod

Master

Seiko 6309 Marinemaster mod

I have played around and made numerous mods on the Seiko 6309-7040 watches, but using aftermarket and genuine parts designed for the 6309 and 7s26 movements. But now I have a new plan and wanted to find out if anyone's done this before.

My favourite current watch is the Seiko MM300. However, I am planning to cut my collection down a bit, but still keep the same look. I love the 6309 cushion case look. So the plan is to fit the MM300 dial and hands to the 6309 movement. How easy (or hard) is this? I have an excellent condition base watch on which to carry out the watch, and super oyster with solid end-links on its way...

From what I've read I just need to remove the two locating pins from the rear of the dial and, maybe, the tab(s) from the edge of the dial to make it fit. I got the idea from seeing a 6105 mod with a similar look, but with unmarked chapter ring. Obviously the investment in a 6105 base watch is quite a bit more than the 6309, but it may be something I do if the 6309 works out.

Here are some (borrowed :wink: ) pics. If you know anyone who's done this mod before, or can offer any tips, please let me know!

This was an early PMMM (Poor Man's Marinemaster Mod) I did

This is a "photoshopped" 6105 with genuine dial and hands - looks good doesn't it!?

And this is how it looks in reality - not so good due to unmarked chapter ring

Re: Seiko 6309 Marinemaster mod

Quote Originally Posted by frp422
    From what I've read I just need to remove the two locating pins from the rear of the dial and, maybe, the tab(s) from the edge of the dial to make it fit. I got the idea from seeing a 6105 mod with a similar look, but with unmarked chapter ring. Obviously the investment in a 6105 base watch is quite a bit more than the 6309, but it may be something I do if the 6309 works out.

Here are some (borrowed :wink: ) pics.
    Yes, the middle photo is mine :evil: There are a few problems with your proposal: The MM dial has two tabs, one at 1.30 and the other at 7.30. The single tab on the 6309 dial is located at the 2 o'clock position and so the tabs on the MM dial are clearly incompatible with the 6309 chapter ring. If you remove the tabs on the dial then the chapter ring can move out of alignment. This is why that 6105 in your second photo has the 6105 chapter ring with no markings - but as you say it does not look so good. A work around might be to machine grooves in the 6309 chapter ring so the dial will fit but you would then need to make sure that the cut-outs in the case aligned with where the tab(s) are on the dial.

A second, possibly bigger problem is that the date window on the MM dial will not align correctly with the date wheel on the 6309 movement - you can see this in the third photo where the date is over to the left of the window.

The third problem is of course the dial feet. These would need to be removed and you would then need either to use dial dots to glue the dial to the movement, or glue/solder replacement dial feet in the correct positions on the MM dial.

Martin

Master

Thanks Martin

Didn't remember where I found the photo otherwise would have credited the source. Sorry!

You have obviously gone into more thought over using the MM300 parts in other Seikos. Think I can deal with most aspects but the rotating chapter ring was not something I had considered. So either a plain ring is neeeded or some fiddling which may be beyond my confidence level!

Since you've thought about this, do you think the Sumo dial will fit?

Anthony

I haven't given an MM dial mod much thought to be honest, other than knocking up that photoshopped 6105, but did have to overcome a number of similar problems in fitting a 6309 movement and dial into a 6105:

For me, the date window alignment problem would be the deal-breaker, although to be honest, I think the MM dial looks best in a Marinemaster :)

I think the Sumo dial could look quite good in a 6309 case, although not with the horrid Sumo hands. I don't know if the same date window alignment problems exist for dials made for 7S26 based movements - but you could give that a try by buying a cheap 7S26 date only dial from Noah. To get an idea of how your suggestion might look, you could take a look at Noah Fuller's hybrid Tsunami/Sumo watch:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/m ... -+Sumo+mix

Looks alright to me (hands apart)!

Martin

Thanks Martin

Didn't remember where I found the photo otherwise would have credited the source. Sorry!

You have obviously gone into more thought over using the MM300 parts in other Seikos. Think I can deal with most aspects but the rotating chapter ring was not something I had considered. So either a plain ring is neeeded or some fiddling which may be beyond my confidence level!

Since you've thought about this, do you think the Sumo dial will fit?

Anthony

Master

Yes I've seen Noah's hybrid watch and thought perhaps the 6r15 dial (as used on the Sumo) may be a closer relation to the 6309 dial size. Since the 6r15 movement is related to the 7s26, I just need to check, as you suggest, if the 7s26 dial will work/fit in the 6309 case. I note that Noah does dials for 6309 and different ones for 7s26 so there is obviously some difference.

This idea also stemmed from Rob (Monsterwatches) who has fitted the MM300 dial and hands inside the SKX007 watch and used the chapter ring. So, thinking out loud :lol: maybe the SKX007 chapter ring is a good fit with the MM300 dial tabs? This could provide a solution, but not sure about compatibility with the SKX007 chapter ring and 6309 case. The easiest answer would be to find someone with a whole bag of parts and play round with them. I think I have some redundant 6309 parts to play with, but none remaining for 7s26 movements.

Having just had a look at Noah's site I noted the 6309 dials have a tab, but the 7s26 dials do not. Maybe that's why the MM300 dial fits easier in the SKX007 case just by removing the tabs...

Thinking of all the potential permutations is making my brain hurt :?

Anthony

PS Your 6105 mod looks very impressive, don't see many people brave enough to mod the infamous 6105!

This idea also stemmed from Rob (Monsterwatches) who has fitted the MM300 dial and hands inside the SKX007 watch and used the chapter ring.
    That suggests that the date window on the 7S26 dials is in the same position as the MM which would then imply that 7S26 dials may not align with the date wheel of your 6309!

So, thinking out loud :lol: maybe the SKX007 chapter ring is a good fit with the MM300 dial tabs?
    The trouble is the chapter ring from an SKX007 may not fit a 6309. The 6309 chapter ring is not the same size as that used in the 6105 for example!

PS Your 6105 mod looks very impressive, don't see many people brave enough to mod the infamous 6105!
    Thanks. Not so brave though because I only had the case, with no movement or dial, and therefore no sacrilige to commit.

Cheers
    Martin

Banned

One of the best seiko mods I've ever seen..
    I just wish they make 6309 cushion case today.. It would be a best selling diver methinks..

Master

Diaboliq - Noah Fuller at 10watches.com has developed a modern homage to the 6307-7040 which he has called the "Tsunami" and uses the Seiko 6r15 movement. It looks pretty impressive, but not sure when it's due to be released. Early indications were that price would be $750, which is starting to sound a lot these days.

Anthony

Master

Here's an update on where I'm up to. In the end I discounted the Marinemaster dial on the basis of mods needed to get it to fit and the cost of the dial itself (circa £50 which may either end up damaged or an unsatisfactory fit). I then toyed with the idea of fitting a Sumo dial which would only need the dial feet relocating to fit. But I couldn't get hold of one from the usual suppliers.

Finally I opted for one of Noah Fuller's "Soxa" dials which has the applied lume with polished metal dial markings. Having had one of these before I knew the lume was next to non-existent. So I contacted Jake Bordeau who now works with Noah and who is gettinga growing reputation for his re-luming skills. Jake removed the original lume and re-applied lume which he assured me would be comparable with original Seiko lume. I ordered original Marinemaster hands from Rob at Monsterwatches.

The parts arrived soon after New Year, and I got to work. I'm pretty pleased with the result - a classic watch design updated with classic-looking mods. What do you think?

Oh, it's got lume alright!

And a wintery wrist shot...

Craftsman

Cogratulations on the watch, that is THE best looking mod for a 6309 I have seen.

Master

Cheers MattP, what a compliment! :D Am very pleased with how it's turned out.

Anthony

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattP
    Cogratulations on the watch, that is THE best looking mod for a 6309 I have seen.
    that looks pretty awesome i really really like that......

Like it,a very stylish look,wish all after market dial and handsets had decent lume.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69
    Like it,a very stylish look,wish all after market dial and handsets had decent lume.
    Me too. The hands are original Seiko, only the dial is aftermarket. But I have now found a solution to get the lume to match after many disappointments using aftermarket parts in the past. Jake has done a fantastic job on the dial lume I'm sure you'll agree!

Anthony

Well, I spotted this thread very late, but can I just add my congratulations to all the others.

What a fantastic combination of parts, to produce a watch that (to me) looks totally consistent in it's styling.
    I think Seiko should do a re-issue of the original watch, with your updates.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gren
    Well, I spotted this thread very late, but can I just add my congratulations to all the others.

What a fantastic combination of parts, to produce a watch that (to me) looks totally consistent in it's styling.
    I think Seiko should do a re-issue of the original watch, with your updates.
    Thanks Gren, am pretty chuffed and I think this is now going to be a keeper. Too much time and energy invested so far to merit selling it. Now waiting on a domed sapphire to arrive and contemplating fitting a Marinemaster clasp to the bracelet to finish it off. Have been looking for a new watch, but so far keep returning to this Seiko and prefer it.

It's certainly a talking point with non-WIS when they ask what it is and where all the parts came from!

Anthony

Craftsman

My 6309-729 PMMM...