closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: a few pictures I would like to share (My friends Patek)

a few pictures I would like to share (My friends Patek)

I took these last weekend, My friend bought thais watch last saturday.
    If I had the money I would buy one too. I love Patek , their finishing is the top (case and bracelet and movement)
    But I'm affraid my budget doesn't allow me to buy one ... maybe one day ;-)

Hope you like the pics (and the watch :-) )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: a few pictures I would like to share (My friends Patek)

H.M.G

Simply to die for 8)

Thats it, nothing else to say
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master

I have to say the Nautilus range is something that i do love, as well as the Aquanaut, maybe one day i'll get one, when i win the lottery of course :D

Grand Master

love the back and the movement detail, excellent dial,not sure about that bezel though.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Great watch and great pics. thanks for posting!

Sorry guys - do not like the Nautilus range one bit
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Super pics and an impressive watch. Must admit I preferthe reverse view - which is mighty fine!

Absolutely fantastic, great photos too 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Can someone explain how the chrono dial is read, please?
    Seems to be the equivalent of three subdials in one.
    ______

​Jim.

beautiful

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663

The chrono sub-dial at 6 o'clock does the 60 minute and 12 hour counters, the centre second hand (main one) is the seconds counter for the chrono. So you reset the chrono and that centre second will reset to 0, start the chrono and the second hand will go round and every minute that passes the minute hand on the sub-dial will move, every hour and the hour hand on the sub-dial will move.

It's used on a few different chronos these days, i'm unsure of it myself as i prefer the centre seconds hand to be for watch seconds, but i guess it makes it a lot clearer to read and use the chrono. The two hands on the sub-dial is also something that seems to be getting used more, be it for GMT or chrono.

Not a fan at all, sorry. Not a very masculine watch.

Grand Master

Oh yeah, and at £26,000 it isn't the cheapest of chronos :shock:

Master

Ok, its 26k, but it seriously oozes class!
    My grail ever since I first saw it....

Alex

Yup. That's it. Love it, had one on my wrist for a few minutes some time ago, fell in love with it immediately.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

One of the coolest watches imo.

That really is lovely. Very classy. Unfortunately also very expensive.

regards,
    Nick

Craftsman

What can I say - there is no finer watch manufacturer and as I love sports watches, the Nautilus line is for me the ultimate wearable Patek.

Your friend has great taste, £26k well spent IMHO :lol:

Oh, stunning photos as well BTW.

Michael.

I never used to like the Nautilus, but it's definitely grown on me and that's the PP I'd have.

Unlike another poster though I think this is definitely a man's watch and suitable for every day wear (an upmarket alternative to a sports Rolly), but the rest of their range is far too dressy and dare I say old, or indeed old school, for me. There's absolutely no doubting their quality though.

And I might go as far as to say it seems pretty good value to me, compared to say some of AP or Hublot limited editions.

One day, when the mortgage is paid off and one pops up on SC, I might be seriously tempted :D

Craftsman

Dont like it I think its the shape that puts me off.

But great pictures.

What a lovely watch, but think of the vintage watches you could buy with £26k...

Will spend the evening dreaming about what I would buy with the money!

Doesn't do anything for me, and at £26k it's a good job.

Neil

The photos are great, and the innards are marvellous I'm sure, but the big fat bezel, the odd shape and the small dial aren't my cup of tea. It looks retro, but accidentally retro to the sort of thing that is best forgotten rather than something cool that is being reinterpreted.

Master

I love this Patek so much :love4: - the quality of the finished item is just exquisite.

Sorry to say this, but without the view of the back, it looks like a £50 watch to me.
    I do like some of the Pateks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Sorry guys - do not like the Nautilus range one bit

have to agree I am afraid

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master

The Nautilus and the Aquanaut are about the only Pateks i like, i find the others are all either 'old man watches' or too olden days for me. The Nautilus is something that doesn't look Patek, mainly down to it being designed by Gerald Genta, so for me it's a fantastic watch because it's designed by the guy who i think is the best and made by the company who are the best.

Journeyman

The Nautilus range are the only Pateks I like Cracking pics too :)

Master

Of Gerald Genta's most famous designs, the Patek Philippe Nautilus, Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak, the 1990s' IWC Ingenieur and his own company's Walt Disney series, the only one that makes sense is the Mickey Mouse.

The Nautilus is just silly money, the RO is a dink magnet (and the slotted bolt heads in the bezel are just downright illogical) and the IWC's bezel never aligns (which is why they put fake tool holes in the unmoveable bezel on the most recent version).

The Mickey Mouse, however, is a triumph of fun over form or function.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Of Gerald Genta's most famous designs, the Patek Philippe Nautilus, Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak, the 1990s' IWC Ingenieur and his own company's Walt Disney series, the only one that makes sense is the Mickey Mouse.

The Nautilus is just silly money, the RO is a dink magnet (and the slotted bolt heads in the bezel are just downright illogical) and the IWC's bezel never aligns (which is why they put fake tool holes in the unmoveable bezel on the most recent version).

Did I read somewhere he was responsible for the Omega Constellation pie-pan? Probably incorrect...but beautiful design.

Grand Master

He has done several, the Nautilus is silly money because it is a Patek, they are all silly money and the starting prices of around £12000 for a basic calatrava tell you that.

The RO is a dink magnet in the same way that all watches are, the slotted bolts in the bezel aren't illogical, they aren't bolts, at the back you have them, at the front it's more about design and look. The ingy again does exactly what it says on the tin, with the redesign doing what it needed, i.e. to sell the watches. He also did the likes of the VC Overseas, again another huge success.

You could go through every watch and find faults, it's simple to do, but the main thing about the likes of the Nautilus, RO, Ingy and Overseas is that a generation after they were designed, the designs are still being used and they weren't based on basic designs from that time. It was also designs like this that helped keep a lot of companies afloat during the quartz revolution, when several companies went out of business.

Master

Aha! The VC Overseas. I'd forgotten that was a GG design, too. Another dink magnet, of course. (And it also has the 'unresolved' (designer language, Luvvie, designer language) flats at the corners above the lugs.)

Master

Beautiful pictures of a gorgeous watch!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

He has done several, the Nautilus is silly money because it is a Patek, they are all silly money and the starting prices of around £12000 for a basic calatrava tell you that.

The RO is a dink magnet in the same way that all watches are, the slotted bolts in the bezel aren't illogical, they aren't bolts, at the back you have them, at the front it's more about design and look. The ingy again does exactly what it says on the tin, with the redesign doing what it needed, i.e. to sell the watches. He also did the likes of the VC Overseas, again another huge success.

You could go through every watch and find faults, it's simple to do, but the main thing about the likes of the Nautilus, RO, Ingy and Overseas is that a generation after they were designed, the designs are still being used and they weren't based on basic designs from that time. It was also designs like this that helped keep a lot of companies afloat during the quartz revolution, when several companies went out of business.
    Real or pretend i think the slots in the bolt heads are just cheap and stupid looking. Why would you have them in a bolt thats recessed and so couldnt be turned anyway? Just that small detail ruins the looks of the watch and gives it a 'toy' toolwatch look. What year did the nautilus first appear..

How much can these be had pre-owned please?

Journeyman

Very nice pictures, although I do not really like the Patek. If I had so much money to spend on a watch I would prefer a more dressier Patek

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    List price plus 10 or 15%, as there is a waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663

The chrono sub-dial at 6 o'clock does the 60 minute and 12 hour counters, the centre second hand (main one) is the seconds counter for the chrono. So you reset the chrono and that centre second will reset to 0, start the chrono and the second hand will go round and every minute that passes the minute hand on the sub-dial will move, every hour and the hour hand on the sub-dial will move.

It's used on a few different chronos these days, i'm unsure of it myself as i prefer the centre seconds hand to be for watch seconds, but i guess it makes it a lot clearer to read and use the chrono. The two hands on the sub-dial is also something that seems to be getting used more, be it for GMT or chrono.
    Thanks.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    List price plus 10 or 15%, as there is a waiting list.

Cheers mate :)

In fact, a basic Nautilus (automatic - there is a quartz version) starts at about 6000 pounds in coin of the realm. I don't think you'd get the one in the picture for under 25,000.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Karl

Real or pretend i think the slots in the bolt heads are just cheap and stupid looking. Why would you have them in a bolt thats recessed and so couldnt be turned anyway? Just that small detail ruins the looks of the watch and gives it a 'toy' toolwatch look. What year did the nautilus first appear..

I don't think they're cheap or stupid, they just aren't functional, i guess at the time it looked good to give it the appearance that the bolts were going through the front and then hiding the bolt heads at the back as they didn't line up. I can see why they did it, although it doesn't really do anything for me personally one way or the other.

The Nautilus came into production in 1976, a year later Genta helped design the Vacheron Constantin 222, but before that in 1972 he created the Royal Oak for AP. I know they're not everyones cup of tea, but i do feel that watches like these and others designed by Genta, or imitated in certain ways helped keep the Swiss watch market open during that rough period, so for me there's a lot of history in there for me and i guess that's why i'm a huge fan of this type of stuff.

I simply do not understand, I have yet to 'get' Patek Philippe. I don't even know how to pronounce it properly. They just don't float my boat and I was reasonably neutral about them but then I read Mandy has one and, well, that was that. Perhaps I'll change my mind when Chuck Norris buys one?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ricdil
    I simply do not understand, I have yet to 'get' Patek Philippe. I don't even know how to pronounce it properly. They just don't float my boat and I was reasonably neutral about them but then I read Mandy has one and, well, that was that. Perhaps I'll change my mind when Chuck Norris buys one?
    Patek Phillipe is all about the movement I guess. There's nothing special about their designs, and the lack of Nautilus inspired watches probably shows the design isn't all that popular.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex
    Quote Originally Posted by ricdil
    Patek Phillipe is all about the movement I guess. There's nothing special about their designs, and the lack of Nautilus inspired watches probably shows the design isn't all that popular.

Yeah, i have to say that even with a divers watch Patek still appear to go a bit upper class as they don't want to be associated with other brands, the nautilus isn't a favourite of mine, but i would have one if i was offered it :D

As for Patek themselves, i honestly believe there are a few other companies out there who are just as good, in all fairness there isn't much separating the top ten companies, their finish is the same, movements are all good and so on.

Craftsman

Genta had such fabulous designs before he started working on those retrograde Mickey Mouse watches!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Rumex
    Nautilus is part of a group of watches with notable similarities in design. You might as well say there are no Ingenieur, Big Bang, Royal Oak or Overseas inspired watches and thus they are not special designs :D

Apprentice

Great watch & pictures.

The way the case is built is quite unique and a very clever design. Something I am sure not many people are aware of at all because of how rare these watches are (owners included).

I wouldnt have any idea how they are put together except I saw one for sale that had been through a serious house fire and the watch had been taken apart to show the extent of the damage. Extremely unique in how the movement comes out through the front after the 'bezel' is removed. Similar to how some Seiko japanese mono case watches are serviced through the front, except the PP has that great glass back view.