closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airport security

Grand Master

Re: Airport security

Quote Originally Posted by Jovial Joe
    Flying from Jersey to Bristol last year in front of me was a 89yr old lady that had been to visit her sister.The jobsworth numbnuts insisted on her removing her shoes and then giving her clothes and handbag a thorough going over despite the fact she could barely stand unaided.When I moved to complain I was informed that I'd be considered a 'risk' to passenger safety.
    Utter,utter mongtards.
    Be careful what you say. At least one sentinel from The Project is on this forum, and you don't want to anger The Project. A little light investigation, and they'll have your address. And the next time you fly, well...

*P'tang p'tang*

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

LMAO! maybe it was their first week on the job.

maybe after another 6 months on the job that they won't be so baffled. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos
    Catching a flight from London City airport this morning, the security lady picked up my watch (DC56) from my tray just as it came out of the X-ray machine.

Security lady: <Looks at the watch extremely suspiciously and says> What is this?
    Me: <Struggling to keep a straight face> A watch
    SL: <Turns it over 2-3 times> Why is it so big?
    Me: It's really not - only 40mm. You should see some of the larger watches out there
    SL: <Holds it to her ear> Why is it not working?
    Me: It's not that type of watch - you can't hear it
    SL: <Stares at the dial> Why is it not working?
    Me: Of course its working
    SL: <Doesn't look convinced)
    Me: The little seconds hand is moving and if you press the top button for the chrono function, the big seconds hand will start to move. <I press the button>
    SL: <Not looking convinced, turns to her colleague> Can you check this for me?
    <He stares at it, then at me, then at the watch again>
    Security colleague: Why is it so heavy?
    Me: Because it's very expensive

That satisfies them and I'm allowed to proceed!

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I work at Heathrow they have never gone into such lengths with me when i wear my Marcello C Tridente it does tend to set the Metal Detector off, they just look at it though and use the hand held on it.

I think the LCY Security lost the plot with you, if it happens a lot ask for their names and to speak to a Supervisor, or put your watch with your other items on the tray, just remember to pick it up as without wishing to cast aspersions on others honesty it will more than likely not be there should you return.

Security are very hit and miss in what they focus on and find from week to week, sometimes an item one week they get excited or concerned about the following week will go through unhindered without comment.

At the end of the day they are there for your security and the security of the aircraft as well as peace of mind but sometimes the Customer Service Training/Discretion and Common sense leave a lot to be desired, i have seen it all in the 10yrs at LHR. I don't work for Security but do something similar and the things i have seen in bags that have passed through are truly astonishing if not at times quite concerning, this is not just a problem here other so called Developed and Advanced Countries have made some shockers, thankfully without disastrous consequences.

At least they didn't try and confisticate it or open it as another poster mentioned.

Regards

Ben

The wife had to explain away a 14" black knobbler at Preswick once :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts
    How times have changed. I can remember flying over to Belfast some years ago, and on putting my loose change keys etc on the tray I saw that it also included my Swiss army knife... the REALLY big one. The guys face was a picture. I said something to the effect that it was amazingly useful for all sorts of things, he basically agreed and gave it all back to me.

I think you'd struggle taking a toothpick now.

Nice Leica by the way...
    Ah, yes, the good old days. I always carried with me my swiss army knife. Nowadays....not even a toothpick as you say....

And yes, nice Leica (mental note: I have to repair my IIIc)....

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by kll
    Oh, how I hate airports...
    I'm down with that :)

Used to fly for a "living", always via LHR. The misery was unbounded. Put me off travel until the end of my days. Now I go by car or train if at all possible - at least no-one asks me to get partially undressed en route.
    I agree, having worked out of Heathrow for thirty years I'm now based at Larnaka Airport Cyprus, other than for the job I avoid flying at all costs. Friends and family who know that I get flight concessions cannot get their heads around me preferring any other alternative form of transport to flying.

Master

Passed through Heathrow yesterday. Had a bit of an argument with them about them wanting to put my passport and wallet through the x-ray which has never happened before and a prime place for theives. They had 10 people maning the 2 machines and not one would I employ on racial profiling grounds. However the Manchester and Heathrow out and in security was reasonable the Washington security cursory at best.

Master

I was hunting for an old post I reada where somebody recounted a story about a pilot. The pilot was so peeved when a security person prevented him from taking a pen knife on board his own plane, that he ran up to the cabin, grabbed a fire axe and slammed it down at security asking if they'd like to confiscate that too.

simon

Master

You could take up to a 4" blade on at the American end.

[quote="hannover_dkA narrow belt - string belt, can hide a cheese-cutter string to take around the head of the stewardess. [/quote]

...but string is allowed on the plane, hence my comment about security not being applied intelligently...

[quote=gunner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "hannover_dkA narrow belt - string belt, can hide a cheese-cutter string to take around the head of the stewardess. [/quote

...but string is allowed on the plane, hence my comment about security not being applied intelligently...
    Depends much on the type of the string. A string strong enough to cut through the skin (chop the head half of) and long enough for the purpose, would be confiscated in 98% of all airports. And thanks for that by the way
    br

I don't mind answering silly questions when I'm actually with my property.

I'm more concerned for the future, when you have to put all your bits and bobs in the tray for X ray, then you troop off to stand in a box while the security staff X ray you and have a laugh at your winkie.

Who will be making sure no one 'accidently' puts on the wrong watch in an overcrowded security area and wanders off with your pride and joy?

I'll bet the security people's insurance policy covers you for loss or damge up to about £17.50, so make sure your own is well up to date.

If you wear an original Rolex Milsub, strap it round your 'family jewels'.

:roll:

Master

I just put my watch in my jacket pocket along with everything else most of the time; avoids any concerns about theft, pretty much.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I just put my watch in my jacket pocket along with everything else most of the time; avoids any concerns about theft, pretty much.
    What I do too.
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best really....

Alex

Blog Entries

Whilst fully understanding the need for airport security, I fail to understand the 'retard' behaviour of some 'security' personell. Due to the abysmal salaries offered I understand that the job does not always attract the brightest of bods but if some 'security' iDckhead picked a wristwatch of mine up and asked what is was, I doubt I would make the flight. :x

Anywaysround, I only bloody well fly when I absolutely have to nowadays! :evil:

:roll:

Master

Same here. When I was a kid flying was just about the most exciting thing I can remember doing, but the transformation of airports into seatless shopping arcades staffed largely by half-witted petty Hitlers (and the UK isn't the worst for once in that respect - the countries who dress their security staff as though they're special forces rather than in cheap nylon tend to be the worst in Europe from my experience) and populated mostly by the type of people you'd cross the road to avoid means all the pleasure has been taken out of it.

I'll need to fly a few times over the next couple of months, but for the two breaks lined up over the summer I'll be taking the train for the first and driving to Italy for the second. Having said that, I drive an Alfa so it could still all end in tears.

Master

When I was a kid flying was just about the most exciting thing I can remember doing
    Too right - remember if you asked nicely they'd take you up to see the pilot and he's show you the controls.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    When I was a kid flying was just about the most exciting thing I can remember doing
    Too right - remember if you asked nicely they'd take you up to see the pilot and he's show you the controls.
    The first flight I went on I got to sit on the pilot's knee as we were flying over the Atlantic - that would probably get the pilot arrested and sacked for about a dozen different reasons these days.

Craftsman

That's what I do too - along with keys etc. Alternately put it in a pocket of my laptop bag. Bizzarely in this instance, that was what attracted the 'attention' of the security folks. They said that I should put it in the tray direct... When they decided to rummage through my coat pockets I pointed out that my watch was in there and they should be careful not to drop it.

Given that this was my only issue in over 25 flights in the last 6 months, I'm guessing there was an element of 'operator error' here :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    remember if you asked nicely they'd take you up to see the pilot and he's show you the controls.
    One week before 9/11 I was on a flight back from San Francisco on United and was 'bumped' to Business Class up in the hump!

The cockpit door was open for the whole flight :shock: and when I got up to go to the loo (located behind the cockpit door) the Pilot asked me if I wanted to 'visit' a while! When he saw the expression on my face he told my to "Relax, I don't watch Gladiator films" :lol:

Also the crew left a 12" kitchen knife on the bar behind us,in case anyone wanted to cut up the fresh fruit :shock:

Those were the days, oh yes......

Master

Same here. When I was a kid flying was just about the most exciting thing I can remember doing, but the transformation of airports into seatless shopping arcades staffed largely by half-witted petty Hitlers (and the UK isn't the worst for once in that respect - the countries who dress their security staff as though they're special forces rather than in cheap nylon tend to be the worst in Europe from my experience) and populated mostly by the type of people you'd cross the road to avoid means all the pleasure has been taken out of it.

I'll need to fly a few times over the next couple of months, but for the two breaks lined up over the summer I'll be taking the train for the first and driving to Italy for the second. Having said that, I drive an Alfa so it could still all end in tears.
    Sorry to go off topic here but are you going for Alfa's 100yrs jobbie?

Master

Sorry to go off topic here but are you going for Alfa's 100yrs jobbie?
    No, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the cars, although a friend who's massively into vintage Alfas is going down for some sort of 100yr thing. We'll be making our way to Corsica or Sardinia to meet a mate on his boat - god knows if the car will actually make it, but it sounds good and is a dream to drive (not the fastest car in the world, but good fun), and taking it over the Alps into Italy is just too tempting to pass up rather than being crammed in a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s
    What I do too.
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best really....

Alex
    +1 same here. And after security and before leaving the area I put the watch in my wrist agai (just in case it went missing.......)

Craftsman

I fly most weeks through Glasgow or Edinburgh to any of the London airports and have come to the conclusion that my Panerai does not get picked up by any of the airport machines. I have been experimenting overthe last 6 months and certainly I have had my fair share of few random seaches and making the right noises to the secutrity staff normally confirms that. Instead a pair of Barker shoes I often wear seems to be what can trigger the security machine especially at City airport.

My experiment continues......