closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suggestions for my first Rolex

Suggestions for my first Rolex

So I am buying my first Rolex and i'm thinking it's either going to be the sub date or GMTIIc. I am still undecided as to which I want to buy as I've come within seconds of buying both :lol:

So basically my question to you guys is, which would you recommend for me as a 19 year old student :)

Alternatively suggestions of any other Rolexes are welcome.

Banned

Re: Suggestions for my first Rolex

GMT II - older style for me. Timeless watch and a shrewd investment if bought well.

Otherwise, what about an explorer II ..... lovely watch too although the bezel is susceptible to light scratches.

The rough prices i'd be looking at would be 4.05k for the GMTIIc and 3.4k for the Sub date.

Never really liked the look of the explorer to be honest. I've always tended more toward dive watches :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sea Dweller (not Deep Sea).

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi all,

I would go with a 14060 non date Submariner a future classic and so so cool 8)

Cheers,
    M

GMT IIc? I always found that watch to be untruthful to its roots.

Why not get the original Pepsi, which is synonymous to Rolex? 1675 or more advanced 16710.

agree sub no date non cosc........19yrs old with 3-4 k to spend on a watch wow! :shock:

Vintage GMT!
    Much more versatile than a sub :)

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    agree sub no date non cosc........19yrs old with 3-4 k to spend on a watch wow! :shock:
    I've tried on the sub no date before and it just doesn't feel right on my wrist. Plus without a cyclops it just feels too similar to my Omega SMP. Obviously most dive watches do look the same but I dunno, the cyclops is growing on me :lol:

Master

Well I was eating beans on toast in a hall of residence not much better than a hovel as a 19 year old student. How times have changed :D

Depending on budget, I'd go for a Sub (NOT the date version) or a Seadweller - both very iconic and will hold their value well. Just try not to spill lager all over them at the Friday night Student Union disco :wink:

I would go..for a 14060...

Master

Welcome to a student, I guessed as much when I noticed you pushed the first 6 buttons on your keypad for a username. My suggestion, since you are 19, would be to ask other people what time it is and spend your money on wine and women. As for Rolex, any of the Submariners are great so choose one of those that makes you happy when you look at it. Maybe leave it at home if you are out on a bender as it makes for a severe panic attack in the morning if you can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    Another vote for an SD :thumbleft:

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS
    Welcome to a student, I guessed as much when I noticed you pushed the first 6 buttons on your keypad for a username. My suggestion, since you are 19, would be to ask other people what time it is and spend your money on wine and women. As for Rolex, any of the Submariners are great so choose one of those that makes you happy when you look at it. Maybe leave it at home if you are out on a bender as it makes for a severe panic attack in the morning if you can't find it.
    What can i say, we students are just struggling with keyboard letters. I'm making progress though, i know about 10 more letters now!

Seeing as i've had a job full time since I was 16 I think I'm allowed a luxury, or maybe a few more luxuries :). There's no way i'd be taking this out to a club, i'm thinking this is more for civilised usage. I've tried on all the submariners and to be honest only the black bezel sub date has interested me along with the GMTII, leaving the problem of deciding between the two, the part i need help with.

The Seadweller (non deep sea) I think is a bit beyond my reach due to my wrist not really being able to support its size. Tried on a DSSD out of intrigue and let's just say that it engulfed my wrist lol.

Craftsman

I'd say SD or DSSD... you'll grow into it :drunken:

Good Luck!

Suppose it depends if you plan to do a lot of travelling? If you do then the GMT, if not then the Sub, but I'd go non date - I have a Tudor with a cyclops and can't really get on with it.

SD.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Have you actually tried on an SD? - really not that much bigger on the wrist than a Sub.

Also to consider...are you bothered about the new ceramic subs or not?

Master

Top marks for persistence, forgive me for not spotting the only teenager in Britain who has worked hard and saved his money. I think that you will find the old model Seadweller to be a lot less of a "wrist dwarfer" than the DSSD which is a bt of a monster. If you are not wearing it every day then the non date is an option as you will probably know the date anyway and it is a lot quicker to set the time when you pick it up rather than the date and time. I am into subs so I cannot say anything about the GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W
    Suppose it depends if you plan to do a lot of travelling? If you do then the GMT, if not then the Sub, but I'd go non date - I have a Tudor with a cyclops and can't really get on with it.
    Isn't that like saying you need to do a lot of diving to get the Sub?

The GMT function can be very useful for a student.
    Too much studying (PARTY), and you might need it just to tell if it's day or night :D

i think if i were you id probably buy a sub date.
    if you have a smp (depending on what size you own) you should be used to the size on your wrist.
    its funny how quickly you adjust to larger watches,suddenly they arnt a "big" watch anymore.

Apprentice

Another Seadweller vote
    Classy, understated and a future heirloom because you sound like a thoughtful guy.

The SD is definitely proving to be quite popular. I'm only really hesitant to get one mainly as I'd rather have one brand new from an AD unless the offer is too good to refuse and obv you can't get SD's from ADs. As for the sub no date, I tried one on and it just really didn't feel right, felt like I didn't really have anything on my wrist, though I don't deny it does look nice.

I'm slightly tempted to add a bit and get a second hand SS Daytona though i'm not sure, I think that may be going a bit far :(

Craftsman

Get a birth year sub. Once you start looking at Rolex it's only a matter of time before you end up looking at vintage. Do it now before it's too late.
    I started with this

then added this

then thought this would do it

but the vintage pull is strong.......help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master

+1