closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's FRIDAY On My Mind ...

Master

It's FRIDAY On My Mind ...

Hi guys,

after more than one year joining the forum and more than enough posts I feel to "be member enough" to ask the FRIDAY question for the first time! :D

My FRIDAY watch: Poljot Navigator Alarm .

And what about YOUR Friday? :)

/ Hal

Nice!

Sinn 656 on bracelet, no pictures sadly :(
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Excelsior Park for me.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Sinn 142 but no pictures either (even though I've got a nice new camera :lol: )

Have a good day everybody

Alan

DN today. Sorry no picture but you try google :wink:

JP

Master
    Luminox 801

Have a great weekend, all
    Gert

Thomas Reid
    I'm going to be trying out my new flow enhancer today, so I need a beater watch, one which can do a bit of timing.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Friday watch

Sinn 142 just back from Sinn thanks Wolter & Simon i pulled the crown off (don't ask) has since been rebuilt serviced new crowns pushers dial crystal looks like new pics soon if the sun ever shines again.
    paul.

Seiko 007 left wrist

Seiko BM right wrist!!

:lol:

Rod

Master
    As it's Friday I thought I'd wear my new beater. The piccie is a bit naff, so please excuse. :-)

I'm working on the antenna field today so I didn't want to risk dinging my Damasko. :twisted:

Tra

JasonG

PS: well, actually, I'm wearing the DC56. Surprise. :-)

Started off with the trusty SKX007, then postie came:

As fake as an estate agent's smile, but well put together (ETA 2836-2) and cheaper and quicker than Yaoing something similar. Love the 60 hash bezel.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney

As fake as an estate agent's smile, but well put together (ETA 2836-2) and cheaper and quicker than Yaoing something similar. Love the 60 hash bezel.
    But there is a slight difference. A Yao'd watch doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Best wishes,
    Bob

As fake as an estate agent's smile, but well put together (ETA 2836-2) ..............

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

This one

While i am waiting to decide if I need a DC56 or Sinn 756 or 103 St Sa.

And of course the PRS-14 but i neeeed a new watch now!!

However i quite like this one until i decide what to get.

http://tinypic.com/1zuts5

sorry about just a link, couldn't figure out how to post at picture directly, even after reading the FAQ

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

But there is a slight difference. A Yao'd watch doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Bob

If you perceived this as being a dig at you it wasn't.

I'm fully aware that it's fake, but it'll never leave the house, wasn't bought with the intention of trying to con unwitting souls, and if I wanted to impress people I'd buy one of those ridiculous blinged-out Daytona copies you get these days. Or indeed a ridiculous blinged-out real Rolex. The Milsub is hardly an impressive looking watch to the average man in the street.

The Yao products raise interesting moral questions. How exactly don't they pretend to be something they're not?

They're obviously heavily based on other company's products, (Rolex, Benrus, IWC etc.) and the less charitable would say that they infringe the intellectual copyright of those companies. Some even have bogus military marks on them (the Circle T, the 3H etc.)

By adding these parts to a watch that in itself is heavily based on Rolex product (Sandoz, Invicta, O&W etc.) you get exactly the opposite of what you claim - it IS a watch that's trying to be something it's not.

Merely omitting/changing the name seems to somehow make it acceptible?
    The old "Homage" vs Fake argument, I guess.

Abraxas

What is your point? Your image suggests that you think that by my purchasing this watch I have become like a dog drinking from a toilet.

Explain.

Grand Master
    The Yao products raise interesting moral questions. How exactly don't they pretend to be something they're not?

They're obviously heavily based on other company's products, (Rolex, Benrus, IWC etc.) and the less charitable would say that they infringe the intellectual copyright of those companies. Some even have bogus military marks on them (the Circle T, the 3H etc.)

By adding these parts to a watch that in itself is heavily based on Rolex product (Sandoz, Invicta, O&W etc.) you get exactly the opposite of what you claim - it IS a watch that's trying to be something it's not.

I'd probably draw the line at the use of a registered trademark - the circle-T, and 3H, and even the Broadarrow (our view, not Omega's :wink: ) are not registered trademarks, the name "Rolex" is.

But that's just my two cents. Basically I am all in favor of having classical style elements in modern, affordable, serviceable, replaceable watches.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Sweeney, that is a nice looking watch, especially on a NATO.

Jim

Thomas Reid

Bob

If you perceived this as being a dig at you it wasn't.

I'm fully aware that it's fake, but it'll never leave the house, wasn't bought with the intention of trying to con unwitting souls, and if I wanted to impress people I'd buy one of those ridiculous blinged-out Daytona copies you get these days. Or indeed a ridiculous blinged-out real Rolex. The Milsub is hardly an impressive looking watch to the average man in the street.

Sure, I take it as a dig at me. Feel free. Dig away.

1. "Intellectual copyright" is a mix of ideas. In any case, if you mean things like a rotatable bezel, screw-down crown, military dial? Then sure, Yao, O&W and the like, use these ideas. That's no big deal, unless, of course the item is under some sort of legal protection, which they aren't. Patent's are meant to run out. All, or most, cars use wheels, steering wheels, etc.

2. A Sub type watch is taking many of the good design features of the Rolex Submariner and making them in a more affordable watch. Dial layout may differ, case shape may differ, but they are relying heavily on the work that Rolex did (or bought). Their Submariner (5513?) is a wonderful case/dial/bezel/ design. I thank them. That's progress. That's why we don't have to reinvent the wheel over and over and over.

3. For the Yao on the Sandoz, in particular, the circle T is silly. Granted.

Let me use an analogy. Paintings "in the style of" some artist, but signed by the actual maker, may be derivative, but that is at best an aesthetic fault. Paintings "in the style of" some artist, but signed as if it were done by the artist it is in the style of is a different kettle of fish.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Dig all you want. Perhaps this should be in a different thread.

PPS If I had plenty of extra money, I would certainly get a Rolex Submariner, just for the case/bezel. I would be sorely, sorely tempted to have it redialed so that all the superfluous writing is taken off. ;)

Abraxas

What is your point? Your image suggests that you think that by my purchasing this watch I have become like a dog drinking from a toilet.

Explain.
    My reference was to the watch being toilet water ... and it is. I thought the lug angle was a bit off (before I noticed you saying it was a fake) ... Rolex also chamfers the outer edges.

I am sorry if it offends but I don?t like copies with company markings. You did say it will never leave the house but it?s already on the Net with your name on it.

john

Stowa Seatime today. DN tomorrow.

Master
    Seiko Orange Monster, and talking of Submariners; when I was in Whistler, Canada, in January, there were loads of Subs in evidence on the skiers wrists in the Restaurant on the slopes. Plenty of mixed metal ones etc. I was pleased to see several of the watches cowering under their owners sleeves when they spotted my OM!

Martin :naka:

Casio Wave Ceptor at work :( (cos I thought I might be going fishing after work).

Longines Record tonight :) (cos I'm not)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Stick with the 007. :wink:

Sorry can't be doing with fakes. :(
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm wearing this SM120 from 1972.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Have a top weekend, people. I'm off to see the Australian Pink Floyd tonight. Don't know how I got roped into that..... :roll:

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Abraxas

Explain.
    My reference was to the watch being toilet water ... and it is. I thought the lug angle was a bit off (before I noticed you saying it was a fake) ... Rolex also chamfers the outer edges.

I am sorry if it offends but I don?t like copies with company markings. You did say it will never leave the house but it?s already on the Net with your name on it.

john
    To all. I think this is beginning to get out of hand. My post was in no way intended to cause offence to anyone - it was only answering the question "what watch are you wearing today". I love this forum because it is such a friendly (unlike some!) and knowledgeable place. If I crossed a line, I apologise.

1. John

I'm not offended, merely seeking clarification.

I was just amazed that fakers in the Far East are beginning to mass-produce watches like this - which I would have thought must surely only be of interest to a minority of people. It begs the question - what's next? Fake mass-produced Benrus Type I & IIs or Tornek Rayvilles?

My post was an attempt to highlight the fact that these are out there, although as you rightly point out it's a thin line between information and endorsement. If I didn't make it clear enough that it was a fake, I'm sorry. In no way am I condoning such reprehensible practices. I've taken steps to ensure that people viewing the post are aware that it's wrong to illegally copy.

2. Bob

If it caused offence, I apologize - I only realised after seeing your reply to my initial post that you were wearing a Yao-ised watch. I have nothing whatsoever against Mr Yao's products, I even contemplated buying some for my SKX007 before concluding that the watch was fine as it was.

My reply to your reply was (perhaps clumsily) an attempt to understand the ever shifting boundaries between homage and copying/faking.

Unfortunately the written word can become dangerous and unpredictable in a web context and re-reading the post I can see why you thought I was being less than charitable about your choice of watch.

I agree about the current Sub, BTW. I wonder if they plan to do to the Sub what they did to the GMT Master - the ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX chapter ring? God help us!

One good thing to come out of all this - I've decided to start saving my pennies to get a lovely old 5512/5513 Submariner.

I now know it makes sense!

Journeyman

Wearing Black Chronosport UDT

Just picked up an ALL Black Chronosport UDT,yesterday...Wearing it Today........

Still has the Plastic Sticker on the back !!!

Looks like it's almost NEW!!!!

Take care,
    Dale Arnold
    Spokane, Wa.

wearing the SMP as I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a shiny new Doxa Divingstar and drooling at the Flying Dr's photo of his.

You wanna come up and see my etchings, sweetie?

john

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    wearing the SMP as I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a shiny new Doxa Divingstar and drooling at the Flying Dr's photo of his.

I'm wearing my SMP today too (just love the little bit of red on the seconds....)

Master
    DN on a grey Rhino at work

Sub 300T Pro at the flicks to see Sahara this evening :wink:

Ok guys, own up. Who wrote the message over that lovely (read: not) clone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

john

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisholm
    Seiko Orange Monster, and talking of Submariners; when I was in Whistler, Canada, in January, there were loads of Subs in evidence on the skiers wrists in the Restaurant on the slopes. Plenty of mixed metal ones etc. I was pleased to see several of the watches cowering under their owners sleeves when they spotted my OM!

Martin :naka:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Ok guys, own up. Who wrote the message over that lovely (read: not) clone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

john
    If you're referring to the R*l*x 5517 further up this thread, then it was me.

john
    :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizzo

Have a top weekend, people. I'm off to see the Australian Pink Floyd tonight. Don't know how I got roped into that..... :roll:

Jim

I've seen that watch somewhere before :shock: :D

Journeyman
    Hello,

Today I wear my Seiko MarineMaster on the original rubber band.
    Great watch!

Best
    RAF

john
    That's cool, and funny :lol: . Thanks.

john

Quote Originally Posted by endure
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizzo

Jim

I've seen that watch somewhere before :shock: :D
    You have indeed, Richard, and many thanks again. I put it on a Darleena "carbon" strap from Eddie yesterday (thanks Eddie, very speedy delivery), and it looks fan-bloody-tastic! 8)

Jim