closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arrival - SM300

New arrival - SM300

I've been meaning to try and get an Omega SM300 for some time now but unfortunately the watch pot seems permanently empty these day. So a plan was hatched, why not try to trade in a lesser worn watch.

The only candidate I had of roughly equal value was the Omega SM200 SHOM and although it's a fantastic and unique case its very rarely worn. If I'm honest it's just a tad too big for my wrist. This was probably due to the case shape which sort of perched on top rather than wrapped around. Plus I'm really going off flat sapphire crystals and much prefer the warmth and life that a good plexi brings.

So a few WTT ads were posted on the UK forums and I sat back and waited, not with too much hope it has to be said.

Then I had a PM :). From Tekkno (Graham) saying he might have the perfect watch for me and that he'd had a SHOM in the past and always regretted selling it. A few emails and pics were exchanged and the next thing you know he's sending me his SM300 on approval.

On arrival although it looked perfect I though it wise to get a professional to check it out, so off to my watch guy I go. Good job I did too as the movement had some issues and definitely needed a service along with a few parts. A quick email was sent and Graham immediately agreed to pay for any work needed.

As a precaution I got my SHOM checked out too as I'd never had the back off it, fortunately it's in good health, phew!

So last Thursday I picked up the SM300 and what a watch. I originally wanted a Watchco version as that I could use as an everyday watch i.e. go swimming, see at night etc, etc. However although my example is a Watchco case with a refurbished movement the dial and handset are perfectly matching tritium. So although it doesn't glow hugely it's a bit more authentic and covetable I guess, plus I love the ageing rich cream colour.

Anyway enough waffling here's a few pics.

It came with a 1171 bracelet with 633 end pieces but I prefer the khaki nato for the time being, much to the annoyance of Mike my watch guy.

A big thank you to Graham for agreeing to let this beauty go and being such a gent throughout our trade. Thanks for reading and I hope you like it, I certainly do :).

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman

Re: New arrival - SM300

That looks absolutely fantastic. Congratulations!

Craftsman

Very nice. :thumbup:

Looks great. Perfect photos as usual!

Blog Entries

That's a very fine example, lovely piece that SM300!
    Great shots as well.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Very very nice.
    Colin.

Congrats!
    Beautiful watch and really nice photos.
    Like the strap on it too...

Very very niffy indeed. Contrats however a SHOM for a 300M is a very tough call - very difficult choice indeed.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master

very very nice that gary, great pics too! :)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Great pictures of a great watch - well done on both counts!

I've had the last two incarnations of the Seamaster, but this watch is easily the best looking, a classic watch imo. :)

Master

Very nice.
    That is an incredible condition SM300!!

Flipping gorgeous, congrats 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Very nice. I think I need one. Wait, I have one incoming 8)

Grand Master

Lovely, something i definitely want to get in the near future.

Thanks guys, it's a lovely example and the tritium dial and hands really make it imho. OK the lume dies very quickly but lets face it who really needs to know the time when they're asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    Very very niffy indeed. Contrats however a SHOM for a 300M is a very tough call - very difficult choice indeed.
    Tell me about it Andy, it took me about three months make my mind up and finally decide that I wanted a SM300 more than the SHOM . Glad I went for it though as I know I'll wear the SM300 far more.

Cheers,
    Gary

Really nice watch with some excellent photos. What vintage is this one?

Quote Originally Posted by rutteger
    Thanks Rutteger :) . The Seamaster 300 line was first introduced in 1957 but I think I'm right in saying the cal.565 date models were launched in 1966. A brief history of the SM300

http://www.chronomaddox.com/seamaster_3 ... story.html

My example originally came from Watchco in Australia who use refurbished movements and either NOS or Omega replacement parts to re-assemble some of Omegas iconic models. The movement on mine dates from 1969. I'm guessing the dial and handset are from the 80's when tritium was last used before being superseded by superluminova.

Cheers,
    Gary

Very nice Gary, congrats on such a fantastic looking watch

Mark

Stunning Gary, love the trit patina.... Best of both worlds on that one...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Thanks Rutteger :) . The Seamaster 300 line was first introduced in 1957 but I think I'm right in saying the cal.565 date models were launched in 1966. A brief history of the SM300

http://www.chronomaddox.com/seamaster_3 ... story.html

My example originally came from Watchco in Australia who use refurbished movements and either NOS or Omega replacement parts to re-assemble some of Omegas iconic models. The movement on mine dates from 1969. I'm guessing the dial and handset are from the 80's when tritium was last used before being superseded by superluminova.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks for that link. Very informative. Any idea when watchco would've reworked your SM300?

Master

That is a heart-wrenchingly beautiful watch and wonderfully photographed.

Looks fantastic Gary :thumbright:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Any idea when watchco would've reworked your SM300?
    No idea I'm afraid. So far I've traced its history back to 2005 when it was sold by a forum member here (Si), who in turn remembers buying it off another forum member but through ebay. Unfortunately he can't remember who though or who he sold it too. If anyone reading knows anymore about this watches history I'd love to hear from you.

You can still buy them from Watchco but they're not cheap, $3,500 last time I looked.

http://www.watchco.com.au/A_index.htm

Cheers,
    Gary

That's absolutely lovely Gary, and some great photos.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Beautiful, wear it in good health

Banned

mines a watchco [so glows like mad] same style as yours
    imho the perfect watch 8)

[s:3gb3axz5]Absolutely Fabulous[/s:3gb3axz5], sorry TV programme. Very nice, enjoy on good health.

Brian :)

Just wonderful Gary. Whilst I wouldnt have swapped a SHOM for a Watchco SM300 with new dial and hands I reckon this was a sensible deal, that dial is just amazing!

As many of you know I really like the sm300. I have owned many... too many of these now and find the watchco version gets used as my beater (tho i never beat up my watches) as its basically a brand new watch with good seals and easily replaceable dials etc. The prices have gone up recently as the parts have gone up in price with Omega's new regime of trying to keep the lower end of the watch trade away from their brand. The case set price has more than doubled the past year and shows no sign of slowing down. This has had the effect of raising the price of the watchco's and also the used market.

FWIW for those that dont know a watchco sm300 is an all omega sm300. Its made of spare parts and a used serviced omega movt from another vintage Omega. There is nothing thats 'non omega' about it, its just been put together recently. Pros: its very usable and looks new (cos it bascially is), Cons: the purists dont like the fact its made of parts. My view: its a great everyday watch, treat it like you would any brand new Omega :)

Graham is a great bloke it has to be said.... stop blushing mate! :D

Beautiful patina on that one Gary and since I agree about the wearability of the SHOM. I probably would have made the same trade. My SHOM sits in the box in favor of other Omegas :roll:

One other thing: I believe Omega used tritium into the 90s. I've seen some Bond SMs with beautiful dial patina, similarly the SMP Chronos. Most brands phased it out around 2000-2001.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Very very noice 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Craftsman

Fantastic watch! I have a non-date version from Watchco too. I'd probably like to get a dated version in the future if at all possible. The prices of these lovely watches have sky rocketed over the past 18 months or so as noted in an earlier post. I think it really is the best of both world as what we have is essentially a 'brand new' vintage watch. I have mine on a lovely black padded authentic gator strap and vintage omega buckle and it looks great. I'd recommend trying the combo out.

Thanks Andy and I agree completely about them being the best of both worlds. I know it annoys the purists but, I'd far rather have a aesthetically pleasing watch that can be treated as a modern watch than some beat up example that you have to treat with kid gloves. Or even worse just sits in a safe deposit box somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by andytyc
    I have mine on a lovely black padded authentic gator strap and vintage omega buckle and it looks great. I'd recommend trying the combo out.
    Got any pics of your combo at all?

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman

Will try to take some photos and post tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    One other thing: I believe Omega used tritium into the 90s. I've seen some Bond SMs with beautiful dial patina, similarly the SMP Chronos. Most brands phased it out around 2000-2001.
    That's interesting info Nalu thanks :) . For some reason I got it into my head that Omega phased out tritium in the mid 80's. Don't ask me why, I probably read it on some forum or other ages ago.

Cheers,
    Gary

Congrats Gary... that's a little cracker and I feel the need for another meet-up soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Congrats Gary... that's a little cracker and I feel the need for another meet-up soon!!
    Thanks Jon :) . Strange I was thinking about another GTG just the other day, especially with the lighter evenings. It would be good to round up a few Cheltenham/ Gloucester/ Bristol guys.

Cheers,
    Gary

Wow that's a stunner; excellent photos too!

Craftsman

Really beautiful. Having only been on here a few weeks i am just loving all the vintage watches... looking, lusting and researching on the web!

Master

I've been toying with the idea of buying one of those for the last few months so big congratulations on a great watch in superb condition. :D

Master

8) as a cucumber in the freezer.

Great pics too

Master

I love these, IMHO they are massively undervalued for what they are

I used to have a lovely early example but foolishly let it go, lucky I have a couple of these to keep my spirits up:

Well done gary, she's a gem

Craftsman

Here you go Gary:

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's a stunning piece, but the pictures are incredible. What are you using to take those? That lume shot is something else!

Great watch and great pics, congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andytyc
    Here you go Gary:

Now that does look good, I can feel my wallet's in trauma already :lol:

Thanks for the pics Andy, much appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Gary

There were a few things here that all happened at the same time - the moons aligned :shock:
    First off, i was offered a watch i really regretted parting with and now i have again I enjoy. Secondly, i knew it (the SM300) was going to a good home. Finally, I had one of these in the cupboard (pic nicked from a bloke called Timefactors):

However, the lume, as Gary points out, is really, really smooth and creamy. Hard to photograph but Gary's photographs are superb. REALLY nice, a credit to you and show the watch well. I enjoyed wearing the watch and i will have another (if anyone knows where there is an issued Seamaster - let me know!) but the most memorable occassion was at a function where I sat next to a rather distinguished gentleman and he noticed the Seamaster 300 at the same time as I noticed he was wearing the solid gold version!!!!
    He had been given the watch by Margaret Thatcher. The only one I have ever seen and believe me, it did not look out of place on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    That's a stunning piece, but the pictures are incredible. What are you using to take those? That lume shot is something else!
    Thanks :) . I use a Nikon D50 with a Nikkor 60mm macro lens, so nothing really expensive or flash. I keep threatening to trade up to a D200 but those pesky watches keep eating my savings :wink:

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

That looks well swell! :lol: Any size comparison shots next to a Rolex Sub?