closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Weekend 2+2 - any ideas?

Weekend 2+2 - any ideas?

Hello all

Thinking of a weekend 2+2. Budget is limited to around £11k.

Two contenders are a 4.2 Cerbera or an 80s 911 - is this a wise idea?

Wondering whether it's too big an ask for the money but I'd appreciate any thoughts. :wink:

Master

Re: Weekend 2+2 - any ideas?

Hmmm... NOT the Cerbera, unless your idea of a weekend runabout involves running about trying to fix stuff!

What do you want it to do with it? Is the +2 bit essential?

Have you thought of going "Classic"? say a '70's Merc Panzerwagen?

Mike.

Master

thats unfair to TVRs...not that bad...but +2 is pushing it a bit ...

Master

The XK8 is gorgeous. Amazing what you can get for small money & great to drive :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Hmmm... NOT the Cerbera, unless your idea of a weekend runabout involves running about trying to fix stuff!

What do you want it to do with it? Is the +2 bit essential?

Have you thought of going "Classic"? say a '70's Merc Panzerwagen?

Mike.
    I can second the R107, mine has cost me ~£500 per year in servicing over ~20K mls in the last three years. I think I'd get back the perchase cost if I sold it, no many non classics can say that in the current economic climate.

The 300 is fast enough and has supprising good road holding for a 70's design. pleanty of good Merc indy's to chouse from to maintain it for you too.

You might tell I'm very happy with mine!

Thanks chaps - some good ideas there. Thought the Cerb might be a bit unreliable as well... :D

Master

I guess it depends on what you want from it - are you after a lightweight sports car, or something a bit special/different for a wind down. Are the +2 for children or adults.

A 911 is certainly a consideration, but it'll be pretty darn old and the + 2 are kiddies only.

Had you considered an E46 BMW M3 - you could get a reasonble one for around that budget.

Also, how about the BMW 840 on sales corner - almost half of budget and it'll hold it's value - somethinga bit special about that for anyone who grew up in the 80/90s viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117365 - albeit that it's a GT as opposed to sports car.

I was looking at a Ferrari Mondial a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1
    I guess it depends on what you want from it - are you after a lightweight sports car, or something a bit special/different for a wind down. Are the +2 for children or adults.

A 911 is certainly a consideration, but it'll be pretty darn old and the + 2 are kiddies only.

Had you considered an E46 BMW M3 - you could get a reasonble one for around that budget.

Also, how about the BMW 840 on sales corner - almost half of budget and it'll hold it's value - somethinga bit special about that for anyone who grew up in the 80/90s viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117365 - albeit that it's a GT as opposed to sports car.
    The '+2' bit is for just the one toddler. :P

On my budget, there just don't seem to be that many choices of out and out sportscars if you have to cater for a little one on the back seat.

An M3 or even an 840 is tempting but I'd rather not go for a supersaloon.... :|

Master

I think you'll find 944 cab's and posably 968 cab's in the 11K area. Might be better bet than a 11k 911. and fit the +2 bill

You'd be lucky to get a 911 3.2 ('83-'89) for £11K, if so it would probably need a fair bit of tlc. You could pick up a reasonable 3.0 SC (the previous model), but as mentioned above an immaculate 944 or decent 968 (something like this - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1146950.htm ) could be had for that money. Old 911s can be money pits, and you'd need to budget a good £1K a year to maintain it.

Journeyman

Some good suggestions

For a bit of class how about this Fulvia?