closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone sold up and downsized to 1 watch?

Anyone sold up and downsized to 1 watch?

Just wondering whether anyone has sold a collection and put the money into one watch? When I tally up my watches it comes to a fair amount. Sometimes think it may be better ot have one 'special' regular wearer than 4 always sitting in the safe.

Re: Anyone sold up and downsized to 1 watch?

An often re-occuring moot point on here, if you trawl through some previous threads. I say do it, man. One watch is all the rage this season!
    What've you got to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    Just wondering whether anyone has sold a collection and put the money into one watch? When I tally up my watches it comes to a fair amount. Sometimes think it may be better ot have one 'special' regular wearer than 4 always sitting in the safe.
    Personally, that wouldn't work with me. I get so bored quickly that once i'd sold all my Watches and taken delivery of the 'one', I'd only end up selling the 'one' to buy another bunch of Watches again :roll:

You know this is an affliction, right?

Coupled with the fact that i dont think it's physically possible to sell all your collection in as short a space of time it would have to take to turn them into one Watch.

It would probably take the best part of a month to sell, and by that time i would have gone off the idea, back on the idea, off, and on to some new hair brained scheme and probably got bored with that too :shock:

It's not possible, and now i'm miserable......... thanks for that

For the first time Ithat I can recall I've been mulling over this idea.

The problem is: which one! (Actually another problem is: which ones to let go..........)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I'd probably get bored quickly but do worry that I'm not rational over buying watches - even get stressed over it. I wondered whether anyone had actually kicked the habit. Bought a 2254 a few years back which I thought was all I ever wanted. Then found this forum and it has been down hill ever since. However I do enjoy rotating watches and messing with different straps.

Well coming from someone who is still looking for their first, I say do it man! How many watches does one man need?! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Grantsteve
    Well coming from someone who is still looking for their first, I say do it man! How many watches does one man need?! :wink:
    Oh dear oh dear, you've so much to learn :roll:

Another two posts and you'll find the answer

I've done that - several times

Grand Master

1? , although having attained one grail, i can see three being my optimum number eventually.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_the_Builder
    I've done that - several times
    What?, two post's?

one watch? are you insane? :shock:

If we all got into that 'One Watch' frame of mind, we'd put folk's out of business don't you know :? Tisk tisk :D

i'm in the process, i have sold everything bar one, to chase the ultimate, i'm just going cold turkey waiting for it!

My collection went from this

To this

To this

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Nice place to stop! 8)

Master

not far away myles down to 4
    g-shock,
    sbbn007
    SS seawolf
    and a SD

Nice place to stop! 8)
    Coincidentally, Ben & I were having a conversation last night about how many have sold an SD only to buy one back again!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Nice place to stop! 8)
    Ah, there´s the catch, I´m not stopping, that´s just the current state of the collection, I´m saving for the GMT II 116710LN, and then I will gradually build up my collection again, until one day flog the lot for something else. Wibble!!!! :banghead:

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Nice place to stop! 8)
    Coincidentally, Ben & I were having a conversation last night about how many have sold an SD only to buy one back again!

R
    I was thinking about selling or part exing my SD for the GMT II, but, unusually, I was able to resist this time.

Craftsman

The one watch idea will only work if you can take up another obsessive hobby to divert your attention from the fact you have only one watch. Something like collecting Classic Italian racing bicycles might do the trick, you'll need a big shed to keep them all in however - probably better just to stick with the watches :lol: .

best of luck
    Grant

Master

I down sized from lots to 3: Breguet, Doxa and cartier, now I have 8 again! It's not me, honest! :lol:

Master

I love all my babies and they all get regular wrist time - howevr I must admit I love my SD and Milgauss the most.

Blog Entries

One watch :lol:

i have thought about this and i got down to three all vintage Rolex i am now back up to five with another one one incoming :roll: but if pushed and i had to live with only one then its the

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Yep, it would have to be an SD for me too...

"I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Yes. I've almost always owned pre-owned/pre-worn watches. However, I always wanted one from new that I could scratch and "wabi" myself for the next few decades.

**cue the sappy music**

And as cheesy as it sounds, I like the idea of being associated with one watch, i.e. McQueen's Sub or Newman's Daytona (not that I'm well known enough to warrant that kind of association )

Anyway, as watch lovers we often hear stories about "Dad's watch". Well, I have two sons and I'd like for them to remember fondly their Dad's watch when I'm gone (hopefully not too soon).

Well, some of you may have seen it in my latest reveal post, but here it is, the one.

May I add that I find it extremely boring, owning just one watch. It really sucks, big time! :D

I'd love to be able to - but I would either need therapy to enable me or require therapy after all the watches were gone!
    It's just a matter of time...

I only wear one watch...
    ....at a time. :lol:

-flugzeit

I have done this once when I really wanted to have a Panerai Blackseal. Sold almost everything that I had outside of a couple that were gifts from people close to me. Bought the PAM, wore it about 3 weeks, sold it and started buying vintage stuff. I personally would not do something like that again as I really like to rotate watches, which I did not really recognize before. Live and learn I would say.

didn't dave in wales (where is the good man?) consolidated his collection to 1 (very nice) patek?

Master

It wouldn't work at all for me, I enjoy collecting :mrgreen:

I don't have a 'grail' & there is no 'ultimate one watch' as far as I'm concerned :D

In 2005 I sold 12 of my watches leaving me with two. Rolex's, Tudors, Omega's, longines, Breitlings, vintage Heuer's went but the money went into a start up business! I'm now just about in the position to start buying again. It was tough to see some of those watches go but after a long hard think I got my priorities in order and instead of going for a bank loan and keeping the watches let them go.

Boy was it a tough decision though.

Master

To this

To this

+ A pile of this I hope! :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    LOL :lol:

I think this is a really tough debate! Personally I am a hoarder by nature, and just cannot part with anything I have bought so far, even though some of them dont get much wrist time. The trouble is, chasing down the next must have timepiece (research, saving, searching around the dealers etc) is all part of it for me. Whilst I have many grails I aspire too, and might be able to stretch to one (breguet related) if I sold everything and then added some, I am realistic enough to know that I'd be buying again shortly thereafter! Also if something is your grail, do you really want the stress of having it as your daily wearer....but hey its nice to contemplate with what you might have if you did do this :D

Grand Master

Done it last year, i do tend to keep thinking about selling it and buying two or three watches instead, but then just withdraw and keep it as it's a lovely watch.

To this

To this

A very similar journey to the one that led me to the SD!

Which was intended to be my one watch in fact. But then I thought that a flieger chrono might be useful and hey, Damasko are really good value for money. Then I basically got wood over a JLC. :lol:

Currently talking myself down from a Monaco, although it might be good because it's, erm, square?

Master

I consider myself far less afflicted by the bug than most of the regulars on here but thinking about the OP's question, I think my absolute minimum would be 4 watches:-
    1. Dress watch to go with the suit at work every day.
    2. Ultra-thin dress watch to go with dinner jacket or white tie. (Or possibly a JLC Reverso, which I know isn't a 'proper' dress watch but I really, really want one and this is the only category I can shoehorn it into :wink: )
    3. Smart sports watch for weekends and holidays.
    4. Beater for gardening, washing the car, etc.

Oh, and I'd also have to keep the Dornblueth 99.1 I'm keeping for my son...

I don't think I could do just one, but maybe three if I really tried. (Sports/diver, dress, beater, chrono. Oops, that's four. )

I am seriously thinking of it right now. The numbers have become silly again and the watch box is well past overflowing.

Master

One watch is an anathema to me. It is not easy to live with no choice IMHO and although I have been tempted to 'sell up' I quickly get my thoughts in order and go and peruse my watch box, then I'm in love all over again.

Grand Master

Looking at the initial collections I think you made a good downsize decision with the exception of a couple of pieces.

I sold 3 to buy one expensive one, then brought a few more mid priced, then sold them to buy a pricey one and have ended up just having the same amount but worth 3 x the price. Its madness but the kids will have something to sell / remember me by
    RIAC