closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How many G-Shocks have you managed to destroy?

Craftsman

How many G-Shocks have you managed to destroy?

As far as beater watches go, G-Shocks have a reputation of being the ultimate.
    That said, I've just binned my third one (albeit over the space of a decade).

One was demolished in a car accident when the crystal collided with a sharp edge and probably saved my arm from being broken.
    Another earlier model was retired after the plastic strap housing cracked. The last one, a Mudman, demised when I submerged it in cold water and then restored it to the ambient 45 Deg C heat. It looked fine afterward but, the next morning, condensation had built up inside and the LCD was buggered. I tried to revive it but half the digits were missing.

Not to take anything away from the brand, I'd happily (and will) buy one again, I'm just curious to know how many others have managed to destroy their G-Shocks.

Re: How many G-Shocks have you managed to destroy?

I've had the hot/cold condensation issue in one fairly recently, and I chucked away a Riseman (don't ask me why) so one of Nottingham Council's finest bin waggons has probably thoroughly destroyed that! Do they count?

Sadly one of mine bit the dust about five years ago, as I broke a connector during fitting a battery, which I have to blame myself for this rather than the watch as it was operator error.

It was a nice Red and Black LCD display duplex that where you could select the colour and layout of the display. It was great while it lasted, but every cloud has a silver lining, I could buy another G-Shock as a replacement.

Master

Yesterday I noticed the first scratch on mine, very small but its still there, after 4 months of hard wear, it took me less than an hour to put a decent scratch in the last watch before it

Not completely destroyed one yet but I do tend to find it is the straps and plastic surrounds that suffer and can come apart. However, as these can be replaced leaving you with a virtually new watch I don't suppose this really counts as destruction.

I tend to keep one G-shock around for days when I'm working in the garden, doing DIY etc and they are always faithful. Having said that I'd rarely wear them at other times.

Apologies for going slightly OT but I am about to drop a lot of cash (to me) on my first automatic watch, and I want to get something like a G Shock to wear as a beater.

What models should I be looking at?

:)

Craftsman

None.

Quote Originally Posted by ock1f
    None.
    :lol:

What would you suggest as a similar alternative then?!

Quote Originally Posted by Grantsteve
    Apologies for going slightly OT but I am about to drop a lot of cash (to me) on my first automatic watch, and I want to get something like a G Shock to wear as a beater.

here is three to look at
    Gulfman,
    MudMan,
    M5600,

In my opinion they are all good, you need to just chose one from the whole range of G-shocks (there are hundreds) you like the look of and then you can not really go wrong.

I have quite a few and can see myself getting a couple more over the next few years as there are some interesting ones on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72

here is three to look at
    Gulfman,
    MudMan,
    M5600,

In my opinion they are all good, you need to just chose one from the whole range of G-shocks (there are hundreds) you like the look of and then you can not really go wrong.

I have quite a few and can see myself getting a couple more over the next few years as there are some interesting ones on the horizon.

Great, thanks very much :)

Master

A G is the perfect beater imo. Wearing mine today :)

Never managed to destroy one, although this is only my second. I've never destroyed any watch!

I had a Mudman Solar Atomic that was filled with Silicon oil by Maser of G-Shock Adan in Spain. It passed easily a pressure test by Bry for 1210 metres if I recall correctly and as it's filled with silicon oil there was never any fogging and the face was very readable at many angles, but not aswellas a Sinn Hydro as because of the digital display at angle would be difficult to read due to the outline of the other numbers.

I coud destroy every single one with a large hammer :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I own one, but I never even tried it.

rombo

Over more than 10 yrs I did not manage to destroy mine - but the LCD display is not what is used to be - no seconds!

Not broken any - wear one most days for more or less everything.

A friend gave me his G-Shock to change the battery, the watch stayed in a drawer for a couple of years and when I picked it up again the plastic came out into pieces.... :shock:
    I don't have respect for the G-Shock since then :?

Quote Originally Posted by Labros
    A friend gave me his G-Shock to change the battery, the watch stayed in a drawer for a couple of years and when I picked it up again the plastic came out into pieces.... :shock:
    I don't have respect for the G-Shock since then :?
    Some of the casio resin is prone to rotting. esp on the bezels for some reason. Some models more than others and also depending how and where it is worn. Have a 26 or so year old g-shock on what I believe to be original strap and bezel. Have some half this age whose bezels have crumbled. Casio supply replacements for most.

I have had the same one now for about 5 years and it's still going strong. Not sure what it's called but it has a dual face (anologue/quartz) and is black. Surprisingly it's still on the same battery too which is pretty impressive. True beaters, I even wear mine playing squash and 5 A-Side football, can't imagine anything damaging it. :?

Craftsman

Have mine since about two years, it has seen some action skiing and hiking in Sweden and Norway. Not broken yet :D

Try a search on YouTube. There you will find many videos of people with too much time on their hands destroying G-Shocks in a variety of interesting and creative ways.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

My oldest one is about 15 years old now, has been through the washing machine on a full cycle a number of times and generally treated with no respect at all and is still absolutely fine. :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ock1f
    None.
    :lol:

What would you suggest as a similar alternative then?!

But thats my point-i havent managed to break or destroy any in about 4 years of ownership that includes dropping one accidentally from quite a height twice, a fair bit of manual labour, getting it covered in Avgas and jet A at various times and generally having a hard life. I dont see a need for an alternative but if needs must then eddies PRS 18 is excellent plus almost anything from the broad casio range!

Grand Master

Great watch to wear whilst running, gyming, mending cars and gardening :)

Paul