closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trouble removing strap from SB3

Apprentice

Trouble removing strap from SB3

How do you get the metal strap off the speedbird III? I've had it well over a year now. I got a few other straps when I bought the watch but loved the metal one it came with so much I haven't bothered with any of the other ones till now. Thought I'd have a change.

The metal pins on the watch I can move them inwards but it doesn't help the strap to come away from the dial... so how do you get it off? Anyone have any instructions/diagrams/photos of what to do?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Trouble removing strap from SB3

I used two spring bar tools at the same time. Once you have both ends of the spring bar pushed in, gently pull the bracelet away from the watch case (not up or down).

I have my SB3 on a Nato strap currently, looks great either way.

Just you wait to try and get the bracelet back on !! :? Sorry I can't be more helpful :D

Hi, It's not to hard. I use a screwdriver - very small one. Push one side of the pin in and pull the bracelet - that should be enough to "lock it in place". Then push the other side in. If you have the bracelet under tension it should come away fairly easily. With practise you can get it off quite quickly.
    As for putting it back on - that is easier. Place the bracelet back in the watch with the springbar above where it needs to go. Push one side in and move the bracelet down "to lock it". Then press the other side in. Job done.
    The key really is to move one side at a time into a position where the springbar is held in then you can work on the other side.
    Not sure if I've explained it too well but I hope you get the general idea.
    I use a 1mm screwdriver to push the springbar in.
    Nath

I've removed two this morning :D .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I've removed two this morning :D .

Eddie
    Why? Shouldn't you be getting the new Smiths up on the website for sale? :D

The first time I tried to get the bracelet off my SBIII I gave up after 20 minutes. I went back to it and hour or so later and relaxed and took my time. The secret is to use a small spring bar tool and push in one side whilst pushing the end piece to lock the spring bar out of position. You then use the tool on the other side, applying pressure at the same time to pop the link out.

Refitting it involves having the end link sitting about the lugs and using the spring bar tool to compress the spring bars so that one side, then the other drops down into position.

Both of these techniques take practice but I have got the knack now. Of course I've decided I like the bracelet now too :)

Craftsman

I must have been lucky; no fancy two-tooled mularky when I swapped the bracelet for the NATO... and the bracelet went back first attempt. I have retired; 2-0 up. The bracelet is great and it is staying.

[edits: spelling, grammar, sense, lager]

Apprentice

I've tried doing it on just one side and pulling on the bracelet at the same time, pulling out, up and down, and it just wont come away no matter which part I try so will have to have a go at doing both sides at the same time.

Apprentice

got it now!

Had to use a 1.2mm flat head screwdriver on the other side but it popped out quite easily!

Thanks.

Apprentice

Got the new strap on now. Its a grey/navy I like to think raf style strap.

The strap comes round quite a bit to the other side of the dial but I have pushed it slightly further up my arm on a lower down rung so it doesn't go onto dial and adjusted it slightly. Not sure what the metal pass through thing is for on rung side of strap below dial?

Can't believe how difficult it is to photograph a watch with all the reflections and lighting etc to get it just right.

Here it is though with some of my sub-par photos...