closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Credit Card Fraud

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Credit Card Fraud

A mate of mine forwarded this to me/.....

Be sure to read Scene 3 Quite interesting.

SCENE 1.

A friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker. After the workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open, and thought to himself, 'Funny, I thought I locked the locker.

Hmm, 'He dressed and just flipped the wallet to make sure all was in order.

Everything looked okay - all cards were in place.

A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of $14,000!

He called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that he did not make the transactions.

Customer care personnel verified that there was no Mistake in the system and asked if his card had been stolen.

'No,' he said, but then took out his wallet, pulled out the credit card, and yep - you guessed it - a switch had been made.

An expired similar credit card from the same bank was in the wallet.

The thief broke into his locker at the gym and switched cards.

Verdict: The credit card issuer said since he did not report the card missing earlier, he would have to pay the amount owed to them.

How much did he have to pay for items he did not buy?

$9,000! Why were there no calls made to verify the amount swiped?

Small amounts rarely trigger a 'warning bell' with some credit card companies.

It just so happens that all the small amounts added up to big one!

SCENE 2..

A man at a local restaurant paid for his meal with his credit card.

The bill for the meal came, he signed it,and the waitress folded the receipt and passed the credit card along.

Usually, he would just take it and place it in his wallet or pocket... Funny enough, though, he actually took a look at the card and, lo and behold, it was the expired card of another person.

He called the waitress and she looked perplexed..

She took it back, apologized, and hurried back to the counter under the watchful eye of the man.

All the waitress did while walking to the counter was wave the wrong expired card to the counter cashier, and the counter cashier immediately looked down and took out the real card.

No exchange of words --- nothing! She took it and came back to the man with an apology

Verdict:Make sure the credit cards in your wallet are yours.

Check the name on the card every time you sign for something and/or the card is taken away for even a short period of time.

Many people just take back the credit card without even looking at it, 'assuming' that it has to be theirs.

FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, DEVELOP THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH TIME IT IS RETURNED TO YOU AFTER A TRANSACTION!

SCENE 3:

Yesterday I went into a pizza restaurant to pick up an order that I had called in.

I paid by using my Visa Check Card which, of course, is linked directly to my checking account..

The young man behind the counter took my card, swiped it, then laid it on the counter as he waited for the approval, which is pretty standard procedure.

While he waited, he picked up his cell phone and started dialling.

I noticed the phone because it is the same model I have, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I heard a click that sounded like my phone sounds when I take a picture..

He then gave me back my card but kept the phone in his hand as if he was still pressing buttons.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking: I wonder what he is taking a picture of, oblivious to what was really going on.

It then dawned on me: the only thing there was my credit card, so now I'm paying close attention to what he is doing.

He set his phone on the counter, leaving it open.

About five seconds later, I heard the chime that tells you that the picture has been saved.

Now I'm standing there struggling with the fact that this boy just took a picture of my credit card.

Yes, he played it off well, because had we not had the same kind of phone, I probably would never have known what happened.

Needless to say, I immediately cancelled that card as I was walking out of the pizza parlour.

All I am saying is, be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Whenever you are using your credit card take caution and don't be careless.

Notice who is standing near you and what they are doing when you use your card.

Be aware of phones, because many have a camera phone these days.

Re: Credit Card Fraud

There's so much card fraud and cloning going on. I had one of those "Police, Camera, Action" type of programmes on in the background last evening, and they pulled two separate pairs of (Eastern European) fraudsters, who were cloning cards.

Never let your cards out of your sight, and use on-line banking to keep an eye on your transactions. Card fraud still appears to be too easy.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Forgive me if I am a bit cynical, but scene three begins 'yesterday'. I have read this story before and on this forum - though I cannot remember when or from whom. Are these real incidents or urban legends?

For what it is worth, and this I swear is true, an acqaintance of mine left his credit card in MacDonalds. He didn't notice until the next day at lunchtime when he went to pay for lunch, but still thought nothing of it, simply thought he'd left his card in his other jacket pocket. Finally realising his misktake he went back to MacDonalds but they didn't have it. By the time he called his credit card company (Visa) 8,000 euros was gone! He questioned why no check was made on abnormal card use; three visits to opticians in one day with a spend each time of a couple of hundred euros - sunglasses probably; a dozen visits to tobacconists buying cartons of fags, and the credit card company admitted they had been negligent and accepted to waive the amounts on the card.

As a postscript - the police weren't interested. He noticed a cctv above the counter in MacDonalds and asked to see the footage but they said, of course, they could only show the police. He asked at the local nick for someone to come and take a look, but they didn't want to - couldn't be arsed.

Master

Here's my tale of woe...

Last Year my Thomas Cook Visa credit card was somehow cloned/duplicated/whatever and fraudsters made off with over £10K in cash advances, purchases of goods and services over the internet and at the time the balloon went up they were using my details to try to get a £30K loan. All from an address in a part of London that I have never visited... at an address I didn't know existed and at a time when it could not possibly have been me.

During all this time Thomas Cook did not once call me to check any of this.... they did not seem to think it all odd that a card that I had rarely used suddenly became used so heavily in another part of the country. I only learned of this when they sent me a statement.... Now to cut a long and painful story very short, I was not believed. Fortunately at the time of one of the cash withdrawals I was in a meeting with several Customs officers, one of my customers and one of my main board directors so I could legitimately cast some doubt on the allegation. Eventually they turned up some CCTV footage of a chap using a card with my details on it - fortunately he was a good 20 or 30 years younger than me, a good six inches taller and to clinch it had a much darker skin tone than me!

After umpteen phone calls, letters sent recorded delivery and even finally a threat of legal action from me I finally got Thomas Cook Credit to accept that I was not responsible for the debt and issue me with a zero balance statement. It took a further four months to get the comments removed from my Experian records and my credit report corrected. The stress that this caused was unbelievable, especially for my wife and I would like to say that at the end of it I had a nice letter of apology/explanation from Thomas Cook... but you've guessed it, haven't you? Not a bloody word!

Somewhat naively I assumed that with all this evidence, the address that all the electrical goods (cameras, DVD, flat screen TCV) had been delivered to, handwritten loan application forms and so on it would be easy enough for the lads in blue to feel a few collars. Not so, apparently... and I never got to learn what happened in that respect. Certainly I have not been approached to be a witness in Court so perhaps they got clean away with it.

So following advice fromthe bank manager I now have one debit card and only one credit card, both issued by my bank. I have two security passwords on each and I feel a lot more secure.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    There's so much card fraud and cloning going on. I had one of those "Police, Camera, Action" type of programmes on in the background last evening, and they pulled two separate pairs of (Eastern European) fraudsters, who were cloning cards.

Never let your cards out of your sight, and use on-line banking to keep an eye on your transactions. Card fraud still appears to be too easy.

Regards

Ian
    Was one of these with the 2 incompetent fraudsters whos cards looked like a 10 year old made them with transfers for numbers instread of embossed numbers? :lol:

Had my card stolen last week.......Decided not to report it as the thief is spending less than the wife......

Regards Tim.

Craftsman

Very good Tim. I will be stealing this quote if you don't mind. ( as long as you don't report it )

Paddy

One of my areas of expertise is online and Credit Card fraud ( :shock: ) You wouldn't believe the half of it.
    If it is less than the magical 1million you really don't stand a chance, there is so much going on that the resources are stretched to breaking point.If you are lucky and the copper isn't busy it might get a coat of looking at.
    I had one instance where the card holder was actually on a transatlantic flight and the card was being used in Rio. Took months to sort out. It is the retailers who suffer most though. The customer stands a fighting chance and is likely to get the cash back. The retailer though, guys like Eddie here, have meanwhile supplied the goods and the banks merely reverse the transaction - without warning and little chance of appeal. So online retailers are now asking for copies of utility bills and driving licenses to prove identity.

These documents are then falling into the wrong hands and..... well you can guess the rest. "Chip and Pin" - license to print money. Driving license and a signature. The online one is the issue though.

I had my debit card cloned somehow and they used it twice on websites selling peoples details and once to buy a phone from carphone warehouse, weird. I now use my credit card for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Forgive me if I am a bit cynical, but scene three begins 'yesterday'. I have read this story before and on this forum - though I cannot remember when or from whom. Are these real incidents or urban legends?

That one's being 'doing the rounds' for years, IIRC it was on here back in 2007. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

"I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

I had a card stolen in France, they spent a lot on my card very quickly before I had a chance to notice it gone and cancel and carried on using it for autoroute charges even after it had been cancelled! I would have thought it would be easy to link the CCTV of the autoroute and get a car reg but no one was interested. I eventually got my money back after a lot of effort.