closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How does Wearing Affect Value

How does Wearing Affect Value

Funny one -

If I buy a nice (rareish) watch and wear it how will it affect it's value ?

It's currently worn but almost mint condition, no wear to the case back sticker.

It wont be my daily wear watch but will be used regularly.

How much will it affect the value if I ever come to sell it.

Or if I'm not planning on selling shouldn't I just get the new model (RolexRolex on the Rehault) for a bit cheaper.

Man, choice is a bad thing !

Cheers
    Neil

Re: How does Wearing Affect Value

What's the point of buying a watch if you don't intend to wear it?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    What's the point of buying a watch if you don't intend to wear it?
    Exactly! If I can't wear it as much as I like due to loss of value from wearing I'll get the new one.

I have a Breitling for everyday and this would be weekends and evenings (not at work watch basicly)

Master

If it's something new enough to have an engraved rehaut version of it then wearing it will make little difference as long as you keep it in good nick.

I'm assuming you are talking about a 2004 LV, based on your WTB post. I'm not sure what the "original different colour of green" bezelled ones go for, but on a normal LV you'd probably be looking at say £3,300-£3,500 for a virtually untouched example 2nd hand whereas you'd be talking £2,900-£3,250 for an excellent condition but used one. Hardly a difference worth keeping a £3k watch locked away for is it?

Master

I don't think so. There's always a depreciation hit once it leaves the AD's door. When it comes to reselling personally It's the condition that counts and if the watch is a bit older then take into account how often its been worn as that'll maybe impact when the service will be due.
    There's generally an accepted ball park value for each watch in the sales corner with little deviation depending on the condition. Doesn't really matter if i's nearly new or not unless you're wiling to provide a warranty for what yu're selling if you're trying to justify selling for just below new price

Master

Also, with the LV, you're speculating as to whether the original (if that's what you've been offered) will long term attract a significant premium over the regular one. If it does (signifying great demand) then your wearing it will have little effect on its desirability, if it doesn't you might be exposed to a greater loss due to people just plumping for a regular one and not bothering paying a premium. Either way, I think you'll be fine because I forsee a wee jump in LV prices once it filters through that the ADs aren't getting them in anymore. :)

yup - too hard.

I need someone to make the decision for me :wink:

Master

Ok, well a few questions then.

Why do you want the early one? Because (A) it's "the one to have", or (B) because you genuinely prefer it for whatever reason.

If A, then just buy a nice newish one for a bit less cash and wear with impunity knowing you may never make a fortune on it, but you're unlikely to lose much and you've got any extra 5 of so years before it will need it's first service.

If B, accept the fact you've got expensive tastes, buy the older one with the disadvantages it brings (sooner till first service, potential to lose a bit more money) and keep your fingers crossed that the demand for the model goes ballistic.

If it was me? I had the option of an M-serial LV and one of the first LV's for about a grand more. I went for the M-serial. I don't see value for money in paying the extra and actually prefer the newer bezel colour. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Ok, well a few questions then.

Why do you want the early one? Because (A) it's "the one to have", or (B) because you genuinely prefer it for whatever reason.

If A, then just buy a nice newish one for a bit less cash and wear with impunity knowing you may never make a fortune on it, but you're unlikely to lose much and you've got any extra 5 of so years before it will need it's first service.

If B, accept the fact you've got expensive tastes, buy the older one with the disadvantages it brings (sooner till first service, potential to lose a bit more money) and keep your fingers crossed that the demand for the model goes ballistic.

If it was me? I had the option of an M-serial LV and one of the first LV's for about a grand more. I went for the M-serial. I don't see value for money in paying the extra and actually prefer the newer bezel colour. :)
    But if the difference is only a few hundred

Master

Quote Originally Posted by njr911
    But if the difference is only a few hundred
    Buy the one you prefer and wear it. If that means buying the early one for an extra couple hundred quid then so be it. That way, in 3 months time you won't be sitting there "I wish I'd spent the extra £200 and taken the earlier service requirements cos that shade of green is soooo cool". Personally I'd still buy the newer one. Do you mind telling us what kind of price you're talking about so we can put all this into context? And can I make sure we are actually talking about one of the very first LV's here with the different coloured bezel here, or is someone trying to get you to pay more just for an unengraved rehaut?

Master
    So, we are talking about an LV?

A modern sapphire model which was released long after the internet had expanded knowledge and fueled the Rolex collector's market. A model which was anticipated and had waiting lists full of speculators. A model which was bought and quickly stashed in safe deposit boxes and vaults. A model which attracted a heavy premium initially and is now a discountable item. A model which, if you bought at the height of the mad acquisition phase, now delivers a loss. A model which you will be able to buy NOS examples of straight out of safe deposit anytime you want.

Buy the cheapest one you can if you must buy one at all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The more you wear it, the more valuable it will become to you.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    So, we are talking about an LV?

A modern sapphire model which was released long after the internet had expanded knowledge and fueled the Rolex collector's market. A model which was anticipated and had waiting lists full of speculators. A model which was bought and quickly stashed in safe deposit boxes and vaults. A model which attracted a heavy premium initially and is now a discountable item. A model which, if you bought at the height of the mad acquisition phase, now delivers a loss. A model which you will be able to buy NOS examples of straight out of safe deposit anytime you want.

Buy the cheapest one you can if you must buy one at all.
    That's the one ;)

And were talking about £3 to £3.5 ish.

Master
    And were [sic] talking about £3 to £3.5 ish.
    I don't know why you're concerned. If you want to be a Rolex collector then £3 to £3.5 up or down can be the daily fluctuation in price for the models which truly command Rolex collector attention. An LV is just a plastic Swatch by comparison.

Again, buy the cheapest one you can find.

Question: How does Wearing Affect Value

I am not sure, but i DO know that not wearing them certainly spoils my enjoyment. And if i'm not having fun, I ain't doing it!

Grand Master

Same sketch here, get it on your wrist man and enjoy it.

Had a fella enquire about a Mountain Bike of mine and he said that he didnt like the look of it and the stickers were a bit worn!!!!!

Its a Mountain Bike, its designed to be ridden hard not looked at and he was more worried about a sticker than the engineering of it!!!

I wear my watches, and I ride my bikes! Which is better than riding my watches and wearing my bikes!! (although I have woke up in a bush wearing a Mountain bike before now)
    RIAC

I'm an accountant - I like my stuff to go up in value ;)

Always looking for an angle

I made the same mistake with my first Daytona - waited too long for it and worried about wearing it - I never did - but the re-sale for lightly/carefully worn was negligible and if you are talking about a 7 years old Rolex a service being in order would clean up any marks - simply buy a spare bezel (keep the original 2003 if that's what you are worried about in a box) and wear it to death!

Bloody accountants - ah my first ever job and the good old days of PE1 and PE2 exams!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    The more you wear it, the more valuable it will become to you.
    Indeed- life is too short!

Buy a watch that you love and that you will wear. It's crazy to buy a watch and put it in a safe, there are much better ways to make money.

No point having them if you don't wear them imo, just make sure you take it off before reaching into an engine bay :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

get the older LV you wont regret it!

Check this out!
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...ary+Submariner

Wearing a watch= down in value unless you're a mega celeb or something! I wear all my watches, expensive or not. Before I used to worry about the smallest scratch, now
    I dont worry about them, they are one of life's little luxuries! There is no point of buying it to lock up and ogle at once in a while.

Journeyman

I have to say i'm firmly in the 'just wear it' camp!

Wear a watch? WEAR a watch? Are you mad?

Just leave it in its' box! Take it out occasionally, as long as the weather isn't too cold/warm/damp/dry and just gaze at it and give it a very gentle wipe with a very soft cloth. Then just gently return it to its' box. Winding it occasionally is acceptable, but be careful to remove any fingerprints.

It's a rough, dangerous world out there. Far too hazardous for anything as precious as a watch. Anything could happen. :wink:
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    Wear a watch? WEAR a watch? Are you mad?

Just leave it in its' box! Take it out occasionally, as long as the weather isn't too cold/warm/damp/dry and just gaze at it and give it a very gentle wipe with a very soft cloth.
    Ebay.de has quite a range of AD shop displays and shop window decoration on offer for about all Swiss luxury brands including Rolex. No problem at all to build an original watch maquette; a beautifull display. Even when only to be visually enjoyed only, they will still at least be out of the closet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty

Check this out!
    Agreed on getting the older one if he really likes it better, but not based on that link...

Don't you think stuff like that creates the problem the OP is facing though? Oooh, it's the "true" one. :roll: Yeah right. Lets stick them all in a safe and wait for them to become the next DRSD. Yawnsville.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Same sketch here, get it on your wrist man and enjoy it.

Had a fella enquire about a Mountain Bike of mine and he said that he didnt like the look of it and the stickers were a bit worn!!!!!

Its a Mountain Bike, its designed to be ridden hard not looked at and he was more worried about a sticker than the engineering of it!!!

I wear my watches, and I ride my bikes! Which is better than riding my watches and wearing my bikes!! (although I have woke up in a bush wearing a Mountain bike before now)
    Would love to have seen your face when he said that mate!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty

Check this out!
    Agreed on getting the older one if he really likes it better, but not based on that link...

Don't you think stuff like that creates the problem the OP is facing though? Oooh, it's the "true" one. :roll: Yeah right. Lets stick them all in a safe and wait for them to become the next DRSD. Yawnsville.
    well I'd say it depends on how far he wants to take it, I'm totally against sticking stuff in a safe, but he now can pick one to aim at. That link is only for the truly anally retentive!