closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nato help needed

Nato help needed

I've got a Citizen diver that's been through the mill and has a fair amount of wabi. It's a 200m quartz that looks like this (no pics as it's away being serviced):

It's going to be my beater for the time being and I fancy trying it out on a Nato, but the question is which one?

I'm currently leaning towards a Bond from Eddie, but can't stop thinking about black or grey. Also, with the Bond, should I get RAF or normal (i.e. does the extra strap under the watch head make it sit too proud on the wrist)?

Any advice appreciated!

PS did a search but didn't come up with much... :roll: :lol:

Re: Nato help needed

Yes, this madness doesn't stop with watches. I've wasted more money than I care to think of on straps over the years.

However, NATOs are cheap so you can afford to make a few mistakes. If you really can't figure out what to get, try a few ultra cheapies from the bay of fleas - and then get stocked up with a few of the best - Eddie's. Black is classic.

Master
    Blog Entries

I'd go for RAF as I find a NATO makes every watch a bit top heavy, and with the RAF I can get the buckle exactly where I want, rather than forced off-centre due to the fixed part of the NATO.

I'd certainly get a black and either Bond or Bond with a Twist.

Grand Master

what size strap does the citizen take, i might have a few options for you....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    what size strap does the citizen take, i might have a few options for you....
    20mm. You're determined to bankrupt me aren't you :lol: :wink: .

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101

You'd need to be very skint or buy a huge amount before you go bankrupt on NATO's......

Grand Master

my spares are 22mm, but i notice someone has just listed some 20mm's in sales corner very cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon
    Quote Originally Posted by twhp101

You'd need to be very skint or buy a huge amount before you go bankrupt on NATO's......
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks for the advice chaps! In the end I picked up a standard Bond nato on SC. The watch arrived back from servicing this morning :D at long last :roll: . Here it is on said nato:

Although I've worn nylon straps before I've never tried a proper nato. I can't believe how comfortable they are! I'm definitely gonna get some more of these babies :D

Banned

love that glass :lol:

Good isn't it :lol: . When they sent back the repair quotation they included replacing the glass and bezel. I said no chance it's part of the charm :roll: 8)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    I'd go for RAF as I find a NATO makes every watch a bit top heavy, and with the RAF I can get the buckle exactly where I want, rather than forced off-centre due to the fixed part of the NATO.

I'd certainly get a black and either Bond or Bond with a Twist.
    I too prefer the RAF style, but I've never seen one in black. In fact I don't think I've ever seen any solid color NATO. Then again, i've only been at this watch thing for a relatively short time. I'm sure they exist somewhere, just not from Eddie?

Journeyman

Actually no, unless I'm reading the RLT website wrong, I didn't see any solid color NATOs in the RAF style (no extra piece of fabric underneath to keep the watch in place). Weird, you'd think this would be a prety standard thing.

Some good "Zulu" straps here: one-piece non-NATO in a variety of colours and widths. Also "Maratac Mil-Series" are non-NATO and look very nice.

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

HTH

Ollie

One of the functions of this forum is to direct people to my website, not the sites of my competitors :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Rev-O = EPIC FAIL :lol:

The best nato's on the net are here: http://www.timefactors.com/nato.htm

Err . . . well at least Eddie's honest about it!

I have to say that Eddie's NATOs are the best, but discgolfer was looking for a solid-coloured non-NATO (e.g. Zulu or RAF style without the "loop" for the watch).

Journeyman

I agree, I've found TF NATOs to be the best and I love supporting Eddie. And I think I prefer the RAF style strap...but he only has bond, bond variant, and speedbird RAF styles. I do have a 2 buckle green rhyno which is great, but it wears differently than the NATO.

The solid RAF style all started for me because I was trying to find more options for my 22mm skx007 and mako. For me those watches are on the slightly larger size and having that extra piece of fabric under and around my wrist was a bit too much. Got a 22mm bond from Eddie last week and it looks fantastic on the 007 and yello mako. I really enjoy being able to easy switch straps to suit my attitude, dress, or the weather...and a sold color RAF style NATO strap would help out in that department. Or maybe it would look really stupid...what do i know¿

I think sometimes people forget that Eddie doesn't get any advertising revenue from this great site, posting links to other sites that sell competing products...and even worse in my mind, flipping his products on the sales corner (when still avail for sale....ie not Dreads etc..) is IMHO very bad form...

Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond
    I think sometimes people forget that Eddie doesn't get any advertising revenue from this great site, posting links to other sites that sell competing products...and even worse in my mind, flipping his products on the sales corner (when still avail for sale....ie not Dreads etc..) is IMHO very bad form...
    I have several TF straps, all excellent . . . but discgolfer is/was looking for a solid-coloured non-NATO (e.g. Zulu or RAF style without the extra fabric under the watch) and Eddie/TF doesn't sell those. What should he do, not buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond
    I have several TF straps, all excellent . . . but discgolfer is/was looking for a solid-coloured non-NATO (e.g. Zulu or RAF style without the extra fabric under the watch) and Eddie/TF doesn't sell those. What should he do, not buy one?
    The Zulu is a copy of my Rhino, which is available as a 2-ring in black, grey, green and orange (solid) :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

Right! I have a green rhyno which is my only solid color (RAF styled) strap without the extra piece of fabric. It looks fantastic on the PRS-18. But is obviously a totally different feel than a NATO strap.

Bloody hell that Rhino is a strap and a half!

Hadn't seen that before. "Built to last". Like my wife. :lol:

I would go for the RAF

I have a mixture of Eddie's straps and Maratecs from Broadarrow. The $50 delivery charge from Broadarrow makes them expensive straps so I'll shop closer to home.

Does anyone have any update info on gasgasbones site? Some nice custom straps on there.

thanks

It seems that your watch has had a hard life! Looks the business on that nato strap though