TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple have done it again - the iPad

Master

Re: Apple have done it again - the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Is there an app that allows you to play avi and divx files on the iPad anyone is aware of :?:
    If you download an app called handbrake it will convert any video for iphone or ipad :D
    Big shame, don't like the hassle of converting and an app that plays native is a must I think. Will have to see if Apple ever approve a native divx app :?
    You need to download an App called "Air Video". You run a program on your PC (works on Linux, Win, OSX) and it automatically converts and streams video in almost any format to your iPhone / iPad on the fly. I use it to watch movies on my iPhone - it will play dixv, other mpeg4, and even Bluray rips (.m2ts). You can seek in the stream as well. Streams over wi-fi or 3G, and it's like having your entire movei collection with you without the need to fill up your memory. Costs $3.99, and you can save the money and buy a smaller memory iPad. Highly recommended.

Master

Here's a link to their website : http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/in...D5712F42CE4414

They only talk about Windows and OSX server software, but there is a version for Linux (you download that from their forums)

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF
    Here's a link to their website : http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/in...D5712F42CE4414

They only talk about Windows and OSX server software, but there is a version for Linux (you download that from their forums)
    Hmm interesting thanks I'll investigate. I do travel a bit so would be nice to just drag and drop files to the iPad and just watch. Maybe one day

they are nice,basically an oversized itouch

Well, my case arrived from the good people at Sena. Just need something to put in it now. :lol:

^^^

A photo of Griff? :lol:

The data deals seem to be something of a moving feast, certainly as far as Vodafone is concerned. They've changed their tariff three times in as many days. But there's very little to choose between them, and coverage is the only real differentiator.

Current offerings:

Interestingly, Three UK look likely to join the fray, which might shake things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The data deals seem to be something of a moving feast, certainly as far as Vodafone is concerned. They've changed their tariff three times in as many days. Current offerings:

Interestingly, Three UK look likely to join the fray, which might shake things up a bit.
    I don't think any of them can be too far out of kilter with the others any more though.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thenakedchef
    they are nice,basically an oversized itouch
    Nope, more like a crippled oversized iPhone.

Thomas Reid

One good thing about watching the iPad developments was that I now have a pretty clear idea what I want in the way of a tablet/netbook. Whether or not anyone ever makes one to suit me at a price I'm willing to pay is a very open question, however. (So, now I've got that sorted, I think that I'm losing interest in the iPad. :) )

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    One good thing about watching the iPad developments was that I now have a pretty clear idea what I want in the way of a tablet/netbook. Whether or not anyone ever makes one to suit me at a price I'm willing to pay is a very open question, however. (So, now I've got that sorted, I think that I'm losing interest in the iPad. :) )

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I'd be interested to hear of your criteria if you'd care to share it, please.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thomas Reid

Sure, Ralphy. But it is what I want, not what I think the market wants.

Size: min. 4x6in (100x152mm); max 5x7in (127x177mm); max. thickness .8in (20mm)
    Weight: no more than 250g.
    Display size: 6in (152mm) on the diagonal.
    Screen resolution: min. 800x600 at 160dpi.
    Display type: Transflective TFT, with the ability to manually control the amount of backlighting transmission.
    Input: Touch screen (I don't know what technology), ability to use a keyboard via USB (or whatever the new general purpose technology is)
    Connections: wifi/bluetooth/usb (at least 3, preferably 4). (Again, if newer, general purpose, technologies supersede these, fine.)
    1 GHZ CPU.
    1 GB DRAM.
    32 GB internal storage, configured as a standard disk drive.
    Operating system: General purpose.

It is a modular system. If you want to use it for mobile surfing, etc., you tether it to a phone. If you want external storage, you hook something up via usb. If you want GPS, you get a GPS dongle (if *real* GPS were easy to integrate to the base system, that would be okay).

Ideally, I would like standard size USB dongles for such things as memory sticks, GPS etc. These would fit into the case, with only an end grip exposed. But, I suspect that this would be difficult with a 20mm case thickness. I'm not sure about video out. I suspect not, unless it is easier than not to add, or via USB.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Actually, I could live with the bluetooth/wifi being handled via USB dongles.
    RLF

PPS Power: External, and batteries, giving 48 hour use when not using the screen lighting. (Actually, I need to think about the power more carefully.)
    RLF

Think I would try to cut up a tesco mobile sim to micro-sim and take advantage of unlimited for £2 a week before shelling out on the bigger contracts

I've continued the preparation for my iPad arriving by stripping the DRM from the eBooks I bought to read on my Sony PRS-505. It took some experimentation but I think I'm good to go now. I also ordered a DODOcase and a Booq Boa sleeve yesterday.

I'll be very keen to hear how the Dodocase stands up to the rigours of daily use.

I'll be very keen to hear how the Dodocase stands up to the rigours of daily use.
    I'll be sure to post back on the subject. I am normally very gentle on kit so am sure it will be fine for me.

Sure, Ralphy. But it is what I want, not what I think the market wants. ........
    Thanks for that. I have to say if such an animal was produced I'd have one like a shot!

R

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    I am normally very gentle on kit so am sure it will be fine for me.
    I'm most certainly not - so I'll post back too! (Actually it's more the environment than me).

R

I hope some of the early purchasers here post some first impressions when they get their hands on them - I'm interested to hear if any of the wi-fi issues reported in the USA are real or imagined. Also, the browsing speed with 3G connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    I hope some of the early purchasers here post some first impressions when they get their hands on them - I'm interested to hear if any of the wi-fi issues reported in the USA are real or imagined. Also, the browsing speed with 3G connection.
    Yes, I'd be interested to hear (and see) how well (or not) iPhone apps scale up to iPad size.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    I've continued the preparation for my iPad arriving by stripping the DRM from the eBooks I bought to read on my Sony PRS-505. It took some experimentation but I think I'm good to go now. I also ordered a DODOcase and a Booq Boa sleeve yesterday.
    How did you do this i have loads on my 505 about 130 books granted i may never read them again but i've paid for them do it'd be nice to have the choice.

If I'm not mistaken I think Jake Humphrey's on the BBC F1 is sporting an iPad this weekend... wonder how he's getting on with it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    If I'm not mistaken I think Jake Humphrey's on the BBC F1 is sporting an iPad this weekend... wonder how he's getting on with it?!
    Yep, he has a wifi model. Here's what he tweeted about it:

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Humphrey
    You lot like me rocking an iPad! I use it to keep the script on, sometimes in the sun it is like looking in a mirror though! Enjoy the show?

Thomas Reid

Trouble sleeping? Maybe it's your iPad.

I've slept better and more productively since I've introduced some sleep discipline into my life: no watching backlit screens in bed, or for about half an hour beforehand; no listening to the radio or music in bed; and making an effort to get at least 7 hours. I generally drop off after about 30 seconds, and sleep for 7 hours, alarm or no alarm.

Best wishes,
    Bob

^
    Age. :)

Master

Still enjoying mine, although it seems to have been adopted by my 9 year old daughter, so I only get to use it once she's gone to bed! I posted a mini review earlier in this thread.

Not had any problems with wifi - from what I read, it's under a certain set of circumstances with dual-band routers, which isn't an issue for me. Apple are apparently issuing a fix anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcbull
    Yes, I'd be interested to hear (and see) how well (or not) iPhone apps scale up to iPad size.
    iPhone apps look pretty ugly when scaled up. The iPhone apps have a little "x1" or "x2" button (for regular iPhone size or upscaling). Upscaling apps fills the screen, but the text and graphics are a bit blocky. iPad HD apps are the way to go!

I saw my first one on the tube this morning. Absolute classic, the dude was using the iPad as an iPod to listen to music (Rolling Stones :D ) and was typing away furiously on his iPhone :D Says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice
    I saw my first one on the tube this morning. Absolute classic, the dude was using the iPad as an iPod to listen to music (Rolling Stones :D ) and was typing away furiously on his iPhone :D Says it all.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

:lol: :roll:
    can't wait......

Quote Originally Posted by NickyW
    :lol: :roll:
    can't wait......
    I couldn't!

(Sorry, crap pic )
    R

Master

How do you like it Ralphy?

Ralphy, you swine! :twisted: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    +1 - Looks like you can connect :)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    It's very good indeed. I had a play with one abroad a couple of weeks ago & was sold on it then.

Took it out of the box, switched it on & it found my wireless network, synced everything off my MacBook then connected to my .me account and this reply is being typed on it.

Only downside is that there are no accessories available in the Apple stores as yet - and that took me a 60 mile drive to find out - so I'll be trawling t'internet later to get the camera connector & a case for it.

R

Ralphy - is it 3G or just wifi? I can't make my mind up but I just don't see myself using 3G much. Also, is the camera connector just for convenience or is it a pain loading photos via synching?

Master

Thanks Ralphy :)

Have a feeling I'll end up with one of these sooner or later :roll: :D

Ralphy - is it 3G or just wifi? I can't make my mind up but I just don't see myself using 3G much. Also, is the camera connector just for convenience or is it a pain loading photos via synching?
    64Gb WiFi only. I've no need for 3G, got a dongle-thingy for my MBP but tbh I rarely find I need to use it.

Synching photos is fine, but for my particular requirements I'd like to be able to have the iPad in the camera bag as I want to be able to review images 'in the field' without the laptop.

R

Thanks Ralphy.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice
    How about this guy, spotted using his MacBook as a stand for his iPad, while listening to music on his iPhone? :lol:

Local versions of the iPad store went live this morning so all you guys who already have an iPad can log out of your US accounts and login with your usual accounts now.

One of the Mac forums reckons Apple have pre-sold more than double (114% to be precise) iPads in the UK than they forecast for, but the precise number is not in the public domain AFAIK.
    If one doesn't make one's predictions available before the event, .... If so, the UK is a big market. A sizable number of the ones sold in the US (10%, by looking at the orgins of the signals from them) have made their way to Europe, with many of those in the UK.
    Apple is selling more than 200,000 iPads per week. Which means, according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky, that sales of the company’s new device have outpaced those of the Mac in the United States and are closing in on those of the iPhone 3GS. “Checks indicate that US iPad sales remain strong post-launch, driven by rising consumer visibility to iPad’s user experience, sustained PR/word-of-mouth marketing, 3G iPad launch, and broadening iPad apps/content,” Abramsky wrote in a note to clients this morning. “We believe Apple is now selling >200k iPads/week, greater than US Macs (est. 110k Macs/week) and just below US iPhone 3GS first quart (246k/week).” With that in mind–not to mention the device’s forthcoming international launch–Abramsky raised his global iPad outlook for 2010 from five million to eight million.

Source: Wall Street Journal

One of the Mac forums reckons Apple have pre-sold more than double (114% to be precise) iPads in the UK than they forecast for, but the precise number is not in the public domain AFAIK.
    If one doesn't make one's predictions available before the event, .... If so, the UK is a big market. A sizable number of the ones sold in the US (10%, by looking at the orgins of the signals from them) have made their way to Europe, with many of those in the UK.
    Apple is selling more than 200,000 iPads per week. Which means, according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky, that sales of the company’s new device have outpaced those of the Mac in the United States and are closing in on those of the iPhone 3GS. “Checks indicate that US iPad sales remain strong post-launch, driven by rising consumer visibility to iPad’s user experience, sustained PR/word-of-mouth marketing, 3G iPad launch, and broadening iPad apps/content,” Abramsky wrote in a note to clients this morning. “We believe Apple is now selling >200k iPads/week, greater than US Macs (est. 110k Macs/week) and just below US iPhone 3GS first quart (246k/week).” With that in mind–not to mention the device’s forthcoming international launch–Abramsky raised his global iPad outlook for 2010 from five million to eight million.

Source: Wall Street Journal
    I'm glad I have shares in them, then!

I've noticed a marked increaase in the number of photographers who have changed to Mac's over the last few years; I think they, like me, just prefer the simplicity of the OS. Perhaps a case of simpler is better?

R

R

I was in Cambridge this morning looking at cameras (met a salesman in John Lewis who really knew his stuff - first time for everything) and I popped into the Apple Store in the Grand Arcade. They have a big sign inside saying come early on May 28th, Ipads are available on a first come, first served basis. I suppose they're hoping for some queues for the Press, probably get them too.

Craftsman

Just received an email from Apple stating that my iPad has been shipped.

So I should receive it on or before 28th :D

Anyone know who Apple uses for shipping?

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Anyone know who Apple uses for shipping?
    Usually UPS. But some iPads are reportedly shipping via TNT.

My iPad is being shipped by UPS.

Master

Mine is UPS too.

Master

Mines TNT i'm actually hoping it doesn't some until friday as i'm offshore till thursday and 710 will have it opened and re-arranged ownership on it if i'm not there :lol:

Master

I would be surprised if any of them arrive before 28 May as no doubt Apple have given set instructions to the delivery companies about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    Mines TNT i'm actually hoping it doesn't some until friday as i'm offshore till thursday and 710 will have it opened and re-arranged ownership on it if i'm not there :lol:
    SWMBO has commandeered mine, says it's "much nicer to use than that heavy lumpy laptop" (my MBPro!!!) :shock:

R