closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Domestic drill advice.......

Domestic drill advice.......

.......I am looking for a battery powered drill for home use that has hammer action, doesn't necessarily need to act as a screwdriver.

I have a battery poewered drill and a corded one - the battery one is a Bosch and it is a bit pathetic really the powered one is very bulky (quite old) but does the job.

I know there are loads on the market, just not sure which are the good reliable brands with good battery life - So anyone in the know? or experienced with a good battery powered drill.

Many thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch
    .......I am looking for a battery powered drill for home use that has hammer action, doesn't necessarily need to act as a screwdriver.
    Find one that's appropriately adjustable, comfortable, grunty, holds a good charge and you will want to use it as a screwdriver. Thus, add that requirement to the list now rather than later. :)

Re: Domestic drill advice.......

I've been looking for a new drill recently also and have noticed that there is a change happening with the batteries, moving from Ni-cd towards Li-ion - the main differences being that Li-ion batteries are much lighter, they last longer and charge quicker.

Another factor to consider is speed, if you get one with 2 gears it will give you greater flexibility and the loads on the drill won't be as severe (I think!).

A few brands to consider, Erbauer, Ryobi, Site (made by Makita but cheaper), Makita and DeWalt. These are all available from Screwfix and they have some reasonable deals, it just depends on the version you go for . If you can afford it, get one with 2 batteries, and probably a minimum of 18Volts if you want it for masonary work (Hammer action)

I saw this one a few days back and thought it wasn't too bad with good reviews

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74113/Pow ... ombi-Drill

or if thats a bit too pricey, try this one

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47418?cm_ ... s&ts=78925

I know this one has the old style battery, but you pays your money......

Hope this helps a bit........ :D

Cheers guys, the DeWalt in your first recommendation has some very good reviews, looks a good price too

I said to my wife I am going to pop a thread on the forum about advice on a drill and she replied "For goodness sake, is their a drill forum" :D

There is a reason why DeWalt and Makita are the trade favourites.

Grand Master

Don`t be tempted to buy a cheap one...and definitely get one that'll work as a screwdriver too. The lithium ion battery sounds like the best option but it'll cost more.

I`m still using a mains-powered drill........won`t buy a cordless because I`m too tight-fisted :)

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort
    There is a reason why DeWalt and Makita are the trade favourites.
    Have to agree with my learned friend. I've a bunch of dewalt and makita gear and it's all been pretty reliable and durable. Also have some bosch (blue) gear which I rate highly also. Whatever you choose battery wise make sure you have more than one (so you can always have one on charge) if you intend doing anything lengthy, otherwise you will be constantly waiting for the one and only battery to charge up.

Nearly all are also suitable to use as power-drivers (unless you're looking at the larger sds cordless stuff which tbh are too heavy for screwdriver use). I can't remember the last time I did a screw up by hand :mrgreen:

jeff

Master

Have a look at next day tools. co. uk (not sure of the website exactly)

I got an 18v Dewalt from there and it was delivered next morning...

Superb drill/driver and last year they were by far the cheapest compared to screwfix etc.

Tips...
    research the model number you want, there's a vast range just in the Dewalt 18v never mind any other make. Then do a google for the model number.

I would also consider Ryobi, Makita & Hitachi as decent quality and reliable. Snap on are good but silly prices.

Don't go for less than 18v

Li ion are "better" than Ni cad, but a lot more expensive so not really worth it for occasional domestic DIY etc.

ps. look at the combination sets - compared to the drill alone, some of the offers including a jigsaw or circular saw etc are only £20-£30 more.

My brother employs lots of tradesmen and from what i've seen they almost all use either DeWalt or Makita. Based on that observation, whenever I've bought power tools it's been Makita (purely because they've been cheaper than the equivalent DeWalt!) and I have to say they've lasted me longer than anything else (previously my first choice was B&D).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Bit of a Makita man myself, but also use Metabo which are tough as you like and Festool which are VERY good but a bit costly, don't personally rate dewalt very highly.
    Don't be seduced purely by voltage if going for rechargeable... the better brands use properly engineered gearboxes to give the torque you need,, for any screwdriving I use an age-old Makita 9.6v, and its brilliant.
    Goat

Thanks for all the top tips :cheers:

As this will be a birthday prezzie I will be able to give a much more confident suggestion as to make and model.

:wave:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... ll&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&ts=1275402712051&isSearch=tr ue

I bought this, and it seems excellent so far.

Another vote for Festool - I think these are 'required' for all contractors working in hospitals due to lower noise they generate (or at least they used to be). T15+3 is the one to have. Don't worry that it's 14.4V either, it's all about how that power is used (God, I sound like a car reviewer :lol: ). £500 quid well spent.

Gary

I'm a bepoke joiner and my choice will always be Festool and Makita.......forget Dewalt, it's overrated,over priced and not very robust.

Master

I picked up a Makita 18v li-ion from Screwfix on special offer about 18 months back for £99 - theyre about £250 now so its worth keeping an eye on their promotions. The great thing with li-ion is they hold their charge when not in use, and they keep going so much longer. So much better than the 12v Bosch's I had before it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP
    I'm a bepoke joiner and my choice will always be Festool and Makita.......forget Dewalt, it's overrated,over priced and not very robust.
    I agree, before Elu became Dewalt they were totally bullet proof, routers were very good and the other stuff really well made, the dewalts stuff now is cheaply made and not very nice, I like Makita or Bosch pro range, i still have and use a corded bosch SDS drill 14 years old and works like new and a 12 years old elu cordless

Elu bought out Black and Decker, and then became Dewalt, nuff said :wink:

Another point worth concidering,most hire centers tend to use Makita Power tools which speaks volumes for their gear.

Master

Mate Makita - I swear by them.....they are on a good deal at B&Q at the mo....

Has anybody had experience of the "Site" branded tools Screwfix sell that are made by Makita?

Well, I have a good look round, taken most of the advice and I want one of these :) i like the colour

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bhp...h-bitset-p4032

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP
    Elu bought out Black and Decker, and then became Dewalt, nuff said :wink:

Another point worth concidering,most hire centers tend to use Makita Power tools which speaks volumes for their gear.
    I heard something similar, effectively the DeWalt stuff is not what it used to be.

The Makita drills sold in B&Q are the lower end DIY models.

The Makita professional line, Bosch professional or Metabo all get my vote.

Master

Festool and blue (pro) Bosch gets my vote as well.. Bad tools cause their weight in gold worth of damage unless you die of high blood pressure and ulcers first :D

Master

We use mainly Dewalt for cordless drills, I used to prefer Porter Cable but Dewalt bought them out. Bosch has great cordless tools as well but they are more expensive and when buying with employee abuse in mind Dewalt comes out on top because of cost. We also buy 14.4V because of the weight and balance, try using an 18V all day long.

For the basic homeowner there are plenty of low end cordless drills for use because abuse and extreme usage don't come into play. Remember, the batteries only have a life of about 5 years so spend wisely.

Oh.. and for those %$#@! crappy lithium ion battery tools, save those for the wife hanging pictures around the house.

I am fortunate that I have and use both Makita and Dewalt drills everyday in my job.

I use the Dewalt primarily for drilling and the Makita for screw driving and a bit of drilling, both are excellant. I think the Makita is better quality and better value for money.

Although in the last six years I have had the same Dewalt drill and I am on my third Makita in that time, but the Makita gets far more load and use, so I am not surprised at this.

My old DeWalt tools have outlasted my newer DeWalts so there may be something to the stories of reduced quality in recent years.

Don't forget that Li-Ion batt stand up to occasional use better than N-Mh and Ni-Cad

Craftsman

Hi,

I also need a domestic drill and was looking at two particular brands on offer at B&Q at the moment. One is a Black and Decker for 50 quid and the other is the Makita for 120 quid.

Just wondering how Black and decker is rated - it comes with a 2 yr warranty. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

I see you want hammer action Derek so I assume to put up shelves etc ?

TBH around the house I use a corded old hammer B&D, plenty of power for drilling holes in walls etc and you can pick up a decent new one cheap.

For screwdriving I use a 14.4 v with a couple of batteries.

Unless you are a tradesman I find two drills for specific jobs are far cheaper and more efficient than an expensive poky cordless.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by PS
    Hi,

I also need a domestic drill and was looking at two particular brands on offer at B&Q at the moment. One is a Black and Decker for 50 quid and the other is the Makita for 120 quid.

Just wondering how Black and decker is rated - it comes with a 2 yr warranty. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks
    I bought the Black & Decker last week. Its great value. 18V, 2 batteries, hammer action, variable speed and 2 gearbox settings. 20 odd torque settings and 150 bits and pieces. Only drawbacks that I can mention are a 3 hour charge cycle with no automatic charger - so you need to time it, and a lack of case.

Great VFM in my opinion and glad I bought it.

The Makita 18v Combi is £99.99 on screwfix at the moment. If that's too much then try searching eBay for AEG. I got mine for about fifty quid on an auction brand new and couldn't really be happier. Not quite as well balanced as the Makita but with a bit more oomph.