closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sell many to fund one??

Sell many to fund one??

Guys,
    Having a bit of a dilemma.
    I currently have 15 watches :shock: (well it's about 20 total but there's a few that don't count....)
    Now why we need more than one is a question I stopped asking a while back!

But the thing is there's one watch that I've always wanted - a Rolex Sea Dweller (annoyingly.......)

Now with a few things that have happened this year (health and personal issues) I'm thinking "sod it, life's too short - I'll get one". To do this I will need to sell a big chunk of my collection - out of the 15 I've earmarked 5 that are 'keepers'.

Has anyone else done the 'sell many to fund one???' and am I mad :drunken: for even considering getting an SD??

Thanks!

Re: Sell many to fund one??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W
    Has anyone else done the 'sell many to fund one???' and am I mad :drunken: for even considering getting an SD??
    Not quite "many to fund one" but I sold a bunch earlier this year, and replaced with one or two I really had my eye on, and feel better for it.

As for wanting an SD, not mad at all.

TT

I've done it many times (as a few people here may have guessed from my sales posts :lol: ), and am currently selling off a number to fund one.... Porsche 911 :D

Still flipping watches though - that will never stop! I go through cycles though - sometimes I want many, sometimes just a few...

I think the key is to price them sensibly and be very open to offers particularly in the current climate - which to be honest is a bad as I can remember it in years...

Best of luck!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Only you can decide wether óne watch gives you the same as the fifteen.

The market mechanism determains the price based on general appreciation but not yoúr appreciation of any particular watch.
    The general public appreciates what it knows best and cannot appreciate particular watches they do not even know the existance of.

If I were to compare a Rolex SD with Vostok Amphibians, than an Amphibian 300 would be a lot more ´worth´ to me than a SD even though the latter costs about 15 times as much. What do Í (or you) care about the general perception?

You may already have several watches that are thus grossly undervalued on the market whereas the SD may be overvalued for that same reason.
    YOU decide.

Whilst I do not neccesarily agree with the choice of watch you contemplate, you get a resounding "YES" from me; sell them all in order to get the watch you really crave. You only live once and you owe it to yourself to try out the watch you have your sight set on.

You can most likely buy similar watches like those you sell anyway in the years to come, should you so desire. Chances are that you will move on though.

Do it!

It is better to have a small collection of watches that you love and wear, as appose to a large selection most of which you never look at let alone wear!!

Depends on what you are think of selling - if nothing rare or easly replaced then do it.

As for getting a SD irrespective of what some might think :roll: - its a great watch for everything and will cost you very little in ownership.

Look for a 16660 if you can find one as they have the look and feel of the modern SD, but retain a bit of vintage as well.

Sound investment in my book and if you decide its not for you easy to flip if you buy at the right money (arround the £3.3K-£.3.5K) mark.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman

I recently did just that :)
    Sold all (not that many) my watches to fund a "grail" piece.
    Also its worth mentioning, that the watches i sold would all be easy to get back if i decide it was a wrong decision.

I have no regrets (so far) and i´m very happy with my decision.
    I you feel that way about the SD, then go for it.

Best regards.
    Kim T.
    Denmark

Yep. I also have a small collection of less than 10- you definitely feel the pain when a small collection gets smaller. I recently sold 2 to get a new Stowa- the regret was palpable, but when when the Stowa showed up :love4:

Personally I beleive I'll eventually end up with with just a Rolex, a Seiko (done), a dress watch (see above) and a G-Shock (done). I'm just taking my time getting there. Losing a load in one go will hurt, but sod it, they're only watches :blackeye:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    You can most likely buy similar watches like those you sell anyway in the years to come, should you so desire.
    That depends on what he has. There are quite a few little known gems that are pretty hard to find yet are worth very little on the open market becaúse they are unknown.
    This means you have come up with a neat extra criterium; time and effort to possibly find one again. It it worth thát?

The good thing about some Rolex models is that when bought with forethought you can safely buy and flip later without loosing a bundle, so if you are sure about the above, then it is not an expensive learning experience when you would happen to find you want to move on. Selling the well bought Rolex would liberate the budget again instantly.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    Depends on what you are think of selling - if nothing rare or easly replaced then do it.
    Ah, you already noted it down. Quite!

Banned

Yep!

A post such as this can not slip by me :roll:

As SC has seen, I've had a mass cull to get my hands on my grail and am very, very happy.

All I would say on a point of caution is, sell your least favourites first.

I have let a few go which I regret, but hey, there's plenty of time to get them back I suppose.

Guys,

Yes

and No.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Look for a 16660 if you can find one as they have the look and feel of the modern SD, but retain a bit of vintage as well.
    a triple-6 is gonna be significantly out of his reach.
    as for the OP, quality generally trumps quantity most every time. without knowing what you have now, you may find that you might have to unload a lot more pieces than you envision to get to the goal.

Master

Providing that you have actually seen and tried on the object of your obsession in the flesh, then I'd say go for it.

If you haven't physically handled one before, I'd say don't do it.

Craftsman

Hi, I regularly part with one to justify to myself buying a new one, what are you saying ?

Regards

Mark

If you've always wanted a Dweller go for it, you're right life is too short.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    a triple-6 is gonna be significantly out of his reach.
    as for the OP, quality generally trumps quantity most every time. without knowing what you have now, you may find that you might have to unload a lot more pieces than you envision to get to the goal.
    Done a bit of research and a triple-6 is way out of my price range!

Got a rough idea that what I'm selling will cover the majority of the cost.

That depends on what he has. There are quite a few little known gems that are pretty hard to find yet are worth very little on the open market becaúse they are unknown.
    This means you have come up with a neat extra criterium; time and effort to possibly find one again. It it worth that?
    There are 2 or 3 that I would be hard pressed to re-find, but the problem is I'm not wearing them - they just sit in the safe (well I wear one of them.....).

At the moment I don't see the point of having a couple of K's worth of watches sitting there doing nothing - better to get something I might wear lol

Thanks for all the input guys.

Master

I had about 17 a couple of years ago, nothing worth more than about £600 then slowly got fewer but more 'upmarket' brands, I now have the same amount of money invested in 3 main watches; Breguet, Rolex GMT2c and a Cartier-plus a couple that don't count :wink: .

I say go for it!

Whats the old expression "Quality not quantity".

I recently sold about half a dozen watches to fund my Sub and have no regrets

Master

I recently sold a few 'keepers' to fund my GMTIIC.
    Don't regret it at all.
    Go for it, but as has been previously mentioned - make sure you try one on first.
    I was originally after a Sub but it just didn't do it for me when I tried one on.

I'm in the process of selling my whole Lemania collection and reducing down to just 3 watches I have always wanted - de-clutter and renew my soul in the process!!! Feels bloody marvellous by the way!!!!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    Providing that you have actually seen and tried on the object of your obsession in the flesh, then I'd say go for it.

:shock: Can't say as I know anyone or any local dealers that have one I can try.

Does it wear massively different from the many 'homages'??

Journeyman

HA! - You think you know about sacrifice!? :P

- I own 5 fairly cheap watches right now. (from 150£ - 600£)
    When I want to get something new, I have to slaughter most of my "whole" collection to put a better beater in the box!! :confused3:

..... Damn I am looking forward to be through school... :wink:

But even if I eventually got to the point where I would have to sell of everything in order to get a grail I believe I could do it.

I think I am able to survive on only 2-3 watches, but they have to be magnificent! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Whilst I do not neccesarily agree with the choice of watch you contemplate, you get a resounding "YES" from me; sell them all in order to get the watch you really crave. You only live once and you owe it to yourself to try out the watch you have your sight set on.

You can most likely buy similar watches like those you sell anyway in the years to come, should you so desire. Chances are that you will move on though.
    Could not have said it better - I've done it (never 10 for 1 but 5 for 1 in the past) and have seen others do so as well. Most often its a big step up and that's a good thing. The best part of your choice is that it holds its value well so you won't loose much when you flip it. :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by catflem

:shock: Can't say as I know anyone or any local dealers that have one I can try.

Does it wear massively different from the many 'homages'??
    I wouldn't have a clue, Seikos are more my thing.

Like many on the forum I've lusted after a particular watch. Fallen in love with the style, and then hunted one down, to only be bitterly disappointed when it arrives because it didn't look or feel right in the flesh. And then bitterly regretted flipping the watches that paid for the incomer :cry: .

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    Whats the old expression "Quality not quantity".

I recently sold about half a dozen watches to fund my Sub and have no regrets
    +1 :)

Bests,
    Krit

Journeyman

I think its important to go for the watch you really want and will wear, rather than several watches ( many of which will probably spend more time in a draw) that you like but are probably tired of or that no longer 'do it' for you.

I sold several watches last week to fund this one, and don't regret or miss any of the ones i've sold.

By what you fancy - it will only eat away at you if you don't.

Craftsman

I do this about once a year.
    Problem is that every watch I own or have owned, has something about it that is special
    The problem I have is that after I have selected the ones to sell, I don't completely follow through with selling them all.
    I tend to falter on the last one, but by that time I've already bought the watch I hankered after.
    I console myself with the thought that if the last one is worth £xxx today, it won't go down in price much, if at all, if I put off the sale for a few days/weeks/months. :lol:

After all, it's quite tiring, selling watches. :(
    You have to:
    take pics,
    add descriptions,
    price them,
    post the ads,
    reply to potential buyers' questions,
    resist trade offers,
    sell it,(or drop the price)
    wrap it up,
    make sure you included everything,
    put the right address on it,
    post it,
    email tracking number,
    wait......
    get a reply saying thanks (if you're lucky)
    clear down your messages.
    Then do it all again.
    Don't forget the mental stress involved when parting with some of your collection!! :twisted:

I'm knackered now just thinking about it. Buying is soooo much easier.

All in all, you DESERVE to buy your latest grail before selling ALL the selected watches, because of all the effort you've put in lately!!
    Then get on with the serious task of enjoying the lastest purchase... that's much more important, you can sell that last one anytime.... :wink: in a few days..maybe.

That's the way it goes for me anyway.

dg

Quote Originally Posted by dogboltt
    I do this about once a year.
    Problem is that every watch I own or have owned, has something about it that is special
    The problem I have is that after I have selected the ones to sell, I don't completely follow through with selling them all.
    I tend to falter on the last one, but by that time I've already bought the watch I hankered after.
    I console myself with the thought that if the last one is worth £xxx today, it won't go down in price much, if at all, if I put off the sale for a few days/weeks/months. :lol:

After all, it's quite tiring, selling watches. :(
    You have to:
    take pics,
    add descriptions,
    price them,
    post the ads,
    reply to potential buyers' questions,
    resist trade offers,
    sell it,(or drop the price)
    wrap it up,
    make sure you included everything,
    put the right address on it,
    post it,
    email tracking number,
    wait......
    get a reply saying thanks (if you're lucky)
    clear down your messages.
    Then do it all again.
    Don't forget the mental stress involved when parting with some of your collection!! :twisted:

I'm knackered now just thinking about it. Buying is soooo much easier.

All in all, you DESERVE to buy your latest grail before selling ALL the selected watches, because of all the effort you've put in lately!!
    Then get on with the serious task of enjoying the lastest purchase... that's much more important, you can sell that last one anytime.... :wink: in a few days..maybe.

That's the way it goes for me anyway.

dg

Oh god no!!!! :lol: I really need to sell them before I buy - otherwise I might have to sell a kidney or something instead.....

I did exactly same to fund this a year or so ago.

I sold 15 watches, which at the time I had a few regrets about it must be said, to build up a war fund. Then posted a WTB and within a week I had the 14060. Unfortunately, although I was initially very taken with it, a few things began to annoy me so it was flipped a while later. In hindsight I should have stuck to plan A and bought a 5513 instead of compromising, oh well you live and learn.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

Been there, done that, no regrets :)

Go with your heart, like you said "Life is too short"
    In the past I have bought, flipped, bought and flipped again. So go for it.
    I honestly believe that the hunt for your next watch, very nearly brings the same pleasure as wearing it.

Journeyman

I would say do it if it's what youwant but defo have a look and try one on first before making a decision.

However, I don't see such a problem with you just selling the watches if you have no sentimental attachment to them, which can be the biggest regret.

So far I've found that trying the watch on has been the biggest test, sounds obvious I know but several watches I've liked on the internet and in the shop window just didn't do it for me when it was on my wrist.

Master

I think that personal provenance is key in the matter. I have toyed with the idea of mivuf a few on to fund a grail but I can't let go as each piece has its own little slice of my life attached to it. If you have no connection then it'll be easier to move them on without regret in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog
    I think that personal provenance is key in the matter. I have toyed with the idea of mivuf a few on to fund a grail but I can't let go as each piece has its own little slice of my life attached to it. If you have no connection then it'll be easier to move them on without regret in my opinion.
    There is one that has some sentimental value - but think I need to move it on to close a chapter if you know what I mean.
    The others - apart from the search for them and finally owning them there isn't really any attachment - yes I'll be sorry to see them go, but if not being worn why keep them??