closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Next generation WIS??

Next generation WIS??

Hi guys,

This is a bit unusual... In more than one way - female watches, and small kids with an interest in watches...

I have a small girl that is developing a liking for watches. Every time we pass a watchshop she wants to stop and look - and almost every time she is on dad og moms arm, she starts touching our watches - followed by her pointing at her own left arm and saying watch! So I have decided to feed that interest at a comming birthday...

She - like her mother - has a interest for divers. But since she is a small kid, I think a small "ladies diver" would be at it's place. It obviouse needs to be manual (why make it easy) - and it obvious needs to be low price, as she would probably use is as at hammer at some point - or forget it in the kindergarden - or something similar.

Now - ladies divewatches are not the most common in the SC or similar places - so do you have any ideas on how to get hold of one - other than the bay?

Re: Next generation WIS??

Yea...manual winding is cool.....but for a fairly young gal....Casio Baby G it'll take a playground beating and keep on ticking

Master

8) if she's that keen let her choose what she wants i say. Dont forget she'l be needing a beater too!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have this one:

Extremely rugged mechanical fullsize 2409 movement filling the case to the max
    Small ´lady´ diver with amphiban type case back sealing
    Complete with dolphin and whale motif

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    8) if she's that keen let her choose what she wants i say. Dont forget she'l be needing a beater too!
    I don't have that kind of wallet... So I think we will only go for the beater - and it will be used to beat things, I'm sure,
    so the baby-g could be an idea. Forgot that they make watches with hands as well.

Sure that she would like the whale and dolphin - worried that it would be to big - what's the diameter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    I have this one:

Extremely rugged mechanical fullsize 2409 movement filling the case to the max
    Small ´lady´ diver with amphiban type case back sealing
    Complete with dolphin and whale motif

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer
    so the baby-g could be an idea. Forgot that they make watches with hands as well.
    Several Bay-G´s came with rubber insulated crash bars over the window.

Don´t remember one of those with an analogue dial though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

...and unfortunately rather large is:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sure that she would like the whale and dolphin - worried that it would be to big - what's the diameter?
    33 mm.

They are not that expensive but there áre pretty rare.
    A pristine one would be senseless money spending and a bit of a waste to let a child loose on. If you buy one with a bit of wear and tear it will be cheaper still and no loss to mankind if it would get destructed.
    It has a thick acrylic window which is quite rugged and easy to polish.
    The bay is a good source.

That's the thing - I do not want to spend a fortune - and since it is not normal to see small divers, I easily get asked a "fortune" to get hold of one - so what I'm after is a cheap beater - but it has to be small.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's the thing - I do not want to spend a fortune - and since it is not normal to see small divers, I easily get asked a "fortune" to get hold of one - so what I'm after is a cheap beater - but it has to be small.
    What´s your not a fortune if I may ask?

The snag is that a diver watch apart from being water tight, needs to be easy to read. That makes small - diver a bit of a contradiction in terminus.

There máy be a slution though.
    There is a very cheap quartz replica/fake of the US navy UDT ´canteen watch´. Just type some keywards on the bay and it will pop up.
    Zeno did a very neat ´homage´ and there is now a fake of that too.

Thomas Reid

Why not let her decide between some reasonably price options, perhaps with a discussion of the various pros and cons of the options?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Why not let her decide between some reasonably price options, perhaps with a discussion of the various pros and cons of the options?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Good idea Bob. Care to add some options too then?

Thomas Reid

Best wishes,
    Bob

I don't have any offhand ideas. I've only been involved with one child's acquisition of a watch. I made that one. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I would guess that a 50-100 quit would be my max for that watch. Cheap enough for me to accept that it could be lost or smashed - and expensive enough to learn her to look after something valueable...

What´s your not a fortune if I may ask?

The snag is that a diver watch apart from being water tight, needs to be easy to read. That makes small - diver a bit of a contradiction in terminus.

There máy be a slution though.
    There is a very cheap quartz replica/fake of the US navy UDT ´canteen watch´. Just type some keywards on the bay and it will pop up.
    Zeno did a very neat ´homage´ and there is now a fake of that too.

That would be a nice option as well - there she could have a look at the movement - have not thought about that - just noticed that she was very fascinated about the bezel on the diver - it can move and it makes noices...
    Do you remember where you bought it - and brand/model?

Best wishes,
    Bob

I don't have any offhand ideas. I've only been involved with one child's acquisition of a watch. I made that one. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Journeyman

I'd let her choose her own or at least get an idea what she likes when next on a shopping trip.

By the way I think its great that your kids are interested in watches, and that you're encouraging that interest. Be careful though - she'll want a Rolex by her teens!!

Thomas Reid

That would be a nice option as well - there she could have a look at the movement - have not thought about that - just noticed that she was very fascinated about the bezel on the diver - it can move and it makes noices...

Brand: f&j.
    Model: Dennis's nephew's watch, Mk I. :

:)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

maybe a bit too large but what about one of those quartz clear plastic sub-like things i'v seen on here. Not sure of the price or even where to buy but someone should know what i mean.

I'll try and learn how to read Still a nice watch. Guess that I will not chose that option then...

Brand: f&j.
    Model: Dennis's nephew's watch, Mk I. :

:)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Not with that mom. She is a serious Rolex HATER... On the other hand daugthers often make a point of beeing the exact oposite of their mom - so who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by northpole
    I'd let her choose her own or at least get an idea what she likes when next on a shopping trip.

By the way I think its great that your kids are interested in watches, and that you're encouraging that interest. Be careful though - she'll want a Rolex by her teens!!

Craftsman

My eldest daughter (11) chose one of these (and she had to put £14 towards the £27 it cost!)

http://www.fhinds.co.uk/Watches/Watches ... 33397.html

Can't go wrong!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here is the latest I.C.E.R.C. (Save the Whale) Baby-G.
    It´s the Frogman series.

p.s. Casio send a portion of the proceeds to the ICERC. I have no idea how much but anything is more than nothing and the link has existed since 1994 so it must be satisfactory enough to continue.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by northpole

Yes, be very careful... :)

Hmm...(scurries off to surplus to requirements watch store)... some rummaging later.

Ok, it isn't a diver. It is 31mm without the crown, manually wound, clean (The dial script is fine, just a trick of the light), very legible numbers and tough as an old Vostok. It is also hers if she would like it. I've laid it against a 16mm white strap to give you an idea. PM me your address and I'll give it a polish and stick it in the post.

My youngest son who is 6 bought a great little watch the other day for six pounds new, it is a small analogue quartz, looks really robust with nice numbers and cute monkeys on the dial and strap.

I have been trying to get a picture of it but he is rarely still for long and you can not get it to take it off.

He always likes to hold my hand with the watch on and loves watches. His older brother who is 10 is keen on watches but when i was looking at getting a SD I took him and he said he did not like the rolex it was not that good looking :shock: , where as my omega SMP 2254.50 is very cool apparently .

He is more in too his G-Shocks.

seiko snk803k2?

Around 40 squid of the Bay. I find it hard to imagine something that's better value.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by IVK
    seiko snk803k2?
    These really are excellent watches. We have 2 young nephews and last Christmas bought one of them the blue version SNK807K2 & the other the green SNK805K2. The lads wear them every day & think they are fantastic. Apart from a couple of small dink the watches still look in great shape.