closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much less for incomplete?

Master
    Blog Entries

How much less for incomplete?

OK guys. What percentage reduction for an incomplete set? Watch and box are present. Missing, are the original straps and buckles, all the manuals and paperwork, COSC, and the individual SE parchment scroll, non of which can be replaced easily, or at all.

I think 30% below market price but would value opinions.

Re: How much less for incomplete?

I would think it depends on what the watch actually was... I'm guessing a Pam?

Given the difficulty in replacing some of the missing items, I would suspect that around the £300 - £500 mark depending which PAM it is..
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

30% sounds about the right sort of ball park to me depending on the watch.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    Blog Entries

An SE Panerai of just 300 pieces. I should have said

An instruction manual maybe findable, but doubtful. COSC can be replaced at cost, but not worth it based on other missing items. Parchment cannot be replaced other than a marked as 'Copy'

Straps and buckles could be replaced.

On a PAM I think completeness is all. So at least 30% IMHO

Grand Master

Got to be honest, with Panerai it kills the value, mainly because there are so many fakes out there, if there is absolutely no paperwork i'd definitely get it through Richemont to make sure it's real, i wouldn't even take a trusted members word on this as you know yourself the fakes are so good they can pass over a couple of times before someone realises it's a fake. I've seen this happen a couple of times now, so thought i'd point it out as it caused a lot of problems for both the buyer and seller as both were being upright and honest, but the previous seller wasn't!

If you can get it with the Panerai verification letter or even a service letter then that will make it a bit more, but without that it's a huge gamble for me, i'd steer well clear.

No provenance at all? That isn't incomplete.
    That's fishy. Don't touch it. Other than the oft faked watch, there is NOTHING to give it authenticity. The lack of original straps is the giveaway. Were these present, then the watch might be real but at the moment, you'll be taking a real gamble. If you want a Panerai, wait five years until they go out of fashion and buy it then.

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    If you want a Panerai, wait five years until they go out of fashion and buy it then.
    Please, not again....... :(

Master
    Blog Entries

FWIW, the provenance is not in question. A slightly eccentric collector is selling off some stuff, via a dealer. The watches were his 'thing' not the surrounding peripherals. It's literally a case of absentmindedness, (or stupidity) that the important paperwork aspects are to say the least, jumbled within the collection.

So you are doing business with a dealer on behalf of an eccentric who lost all the bits that make the watch authentic but was capable of removing the original strap and just looking at the watch head, presumably.
    Right.
    I think you might need more help than I can offer.

Master
    Blog Entries

So you are doing business with a dealer on behalf of an eccentric who lost all the bits that make the watch authentic but was capable of removing the original strap and just looking at the watch head, presumably.
    Right.

I thank you for your insight and judgement, when not in possession of the full details :roll:

The watch is kosher. What i sought was opinions on the reduction of value, due to it being incomplete, and/or compromised. Not a lecture, or opinions as to the validity or otherwise of the current owners status, or wellbeing.

Right.
    Is that not just a touch rude and presumptuous?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

If you're 100% sure then that's good, you'll get a nice watch at a bit of a discount, but remember if you come to sell it later it'll be hard to move, but forgetting that i'd say that without any paperwork or extras you'd be looking at a good 30% discount on the usual price, so if it's a 10k watch then 7k without paperwork from a private sale, it would be about 8k (20% discount) from a dealer but this is just being worked through a dealer.

That's fishy. Don't touch it. Other than the oft faked watch, there is NOTHING to give it authenticity. The lack of original straps is the giveaway. Were these present, then the watch might be real but at the moment, you'll be taking a real gamble. If you want a Panerai, wait five years until they go out of fashion and buy it then.

Just like to say, that Tom is not Captainhowdy under a different name :D, but 25% sounds about right without papers, also what is the condition\age of the watch? as this will affect the price to.

I think 30% may be a tad high if it is a popular SE. In an SE I would say the original straps ( if they are different from the standard straps), the scroll and box are the most important. To me it depends on whether or not it is a sought after SE. For example if it is a Pam 202 regatta chrono or a 249? If it is a reasonably popular SE I would think 15% plus the cost of replacing the parts. If it is a less sought after SE then 25% may be more appropriate.

It's difficult to assess how big a discount you should get for an incomplete set.The main questions are how much is it worth to you and what value would you get if you were to resell.
    Can't really see the market being that good for an incomplete set of an SE model,most collectors(IMO),would go for a complete set.(particularly of a modern watch-vintage excepted)
    If it were to be a keeper,then that may be different.
    Then theres the point of why is it incomplete?
    So all in all for me it would have to have a hefty discount and I mean HEFTY :!: to even consider it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy

Just like to say, that Tom is not Captainhowdy under a different name :D, but 25% sounds about right without papers, also what is the condition\age of the watch? as this will affect the price to.
    I know nothing about Pams but that ^^ made me laugh :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    It's difficult to assess how big a discount you should get for an incomplete set.The main questions are how much is it worth to you and what value would you get if you were to resell.
    Can't really see the market being that good for an incomplete set of an SE model,most collectors(IMO),would go for a complete set.(particularly of a modern watch-vintage excepted)
    If it were to be a keeper,then that may be different.
    Then theres the point of why is it incomplete?
    So all in all for me it would have to have a hefty discount and I mean HEFTY :!: to even consider it.
    +1

If you want a Panerai, wait five years until they go out of fashion and buy it then.
    :lol: :lol: