closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decisions....Decisions

Decisions....Decisions

ok chaps, advice time :roll:

I currently have a Panerai 111 and 24 and an Omega Planet Ocean. I have developed a strong liking for the Panerai 312. As the handbrake has used her power of veto i.e. watches must go for watches to come in scenario it looks like I will have to offload the 111 and the PO.

My question to this brand neutral forum is should I do it, or am I being silly?

Re: Decisions....Decisions

I would go for it personally but then I am not particulaly a fan of the PO so I guess I would say that :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Why not suggest the same rule should apply with respect to (dare I say) "her" shoes/handbags? A couple nights sleeping on the couch showing "her" what "she's" missing out on should recind that agreement pdq!!!

I always seem to have more come in than go out...I'm not against moving a few to bring in a more favorable watch...but if your tastes are revolving around the Pan keep it sell of the PO

I'd do it! The 312 is lovely.
    Fiddy case, in-house movement... nice upgrade from the 111.

Master

Personally I wouldn't do it.
    As it stands you have a lot more variety and balance

Alex

Master
    Blog Entries

Unsurprisingly, i would say yes. The 312 is a nice watch like the 111 and PO in their own ways, but both are easily replaced should you change your mind at a later date.

It's up to you, but don't over pay, there are plenty of these around, and with a bit of haggling £3.5ish should get you a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    It's up to you, but don't over pay, there are plenty of these around, and with a bit of haggling £3.5ish should get you a new one.
    £3.5ish for a brand new one? So that's 1k off a brand new Panerai? Could you please tell me where I can obtain it?

I would - in a breath :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

I wouldn't. The 312, whilst lovely, isn't enough of an upgrade/different enough from your 111 to make it worth going from two very different watches to one.

Hang on to both and ride the storm. I had a similar problem, but now some of those watches are worth several times what I paid. And wouldn't you know it...she's more in favour of them now!

I never got the reply about where I could pick up a new 312 for 3.5k but I think I'm going to stay with the 111 and the PO. The PO is just such a versatile watch. I know I will regret it if I let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice
    £3.5ish for a brand new one? So that's 1k off a brand new Panerai? Could you please tell me where I can obtain it?
    I think you'd do very well to find a used 312 for £3.5k TBH.

Re your dilemma, I would, but then I've never really liked the PO.

Master

You might take a hefty hit with the price of the 111 and PO. I'd be able with the diversity with your current collection and not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi

Right here gents, I did say £3.5ish so it's on for £3700 new, but you can always haggle. :)

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/index ... results=14

I'd be more inclined to let the 111 go and get the 312. Aside from the obvious mechanical differences, the 312 is visually quite similar to the 111 and you would have two similar looking watches.

If you still like the PO its a great watch and offers variety to the rest of the collection.

Right here gents, I did say £3.5ish so it's on for £3700 new, but you can always haggle. :)

That's not a great example as it's in Switzerland, Paul. By the time you've paid your bank fees to transfer Swiss Francs, paid the courier fee, and added approx 20% on for VAT, duty & the couriers handling fee when it enters the UK, I would guess it would cost around £4350

Also, unless they're an AD it's not actually "new" (and I doubt they are if they're advertising on Chrono24). Might be un-used, but not new. Of course this is just my definition of "new", but I assumed when you said "new" you were talking about a purchase from a Panerai AD.

Point taken though, if you want to buy from a non-AD trader based outside of the UK you'll probably find them cheaper than UK list.

That's not a great example as it's in Switzerland, Paul. By the time you've paid your bank fees to transfer Swiss Francs, paid the courier fee, and added approx 20% on for VAT, duty & the couriers handling fee when it enters the UK, I would guess it would cost around £4350

Also, unless they're an AD it's not actually "new" (and I doubt they are if they're advertising on Chrono24). Might be un-used, but not new. Of course this is just my definition of "new", but I assumed when you said "new" you were talking about a purchase from a Panerai AD.

Point taken though, if you want to buy from a non-AD trader based outside of the UK you'll probably find them cheaper than UK list.

Rich, your correct, I made a mistake and clicked the wrong one, there are so many for sale on that site. This one might be better, and is offered new 2010 going at the same price, but from the Fatherland.

I've been offered a fairly good deal on a brand new 312. I think the problem I'm having is that the rrp on what I've got, 111, 24 and PO is considerably more than what I would end up with i.e. 24 and 312.

Come on PO lovers, tell me I'm doing the wrong thing by thinking of selling it :?

Hi!

I guess the answer depends on whether you'd be happier wearing a watch that the forum convinced you to keep (PO) or one that you decided to buy (312).

Only you can really decide, a difficult choice but I think you're in a no lose situation.

F

The thing is you'll need a 233 in your life once you purchase a 312 :lol:

So save yourself some hassle and keep the 111 which I think is asthetically more pleasing than the 312. Then save up for whenever in the future you can get a 233.

Damn you Toshi alll your bloody pics are very persuasive :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp

So save yourself some hassle and keep the 111 which I think is asthetically more pleasing than the 312. Then save up for whenever in the future you can get a 233.

Very wise words. I'd love a 233 but that would open a real can of worms :D

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp

Why do I always get the blame? :D

you're not wrong about the 233 though......

;)

Grand Master

The 233 is the best PAM for me, hands down it beats the likes of the 312. The only thing i'd change on a 233 is the power indicator, i'd move that to the back like on new PAMs, but apart from that the 1950s case, the domed crystal, the large clear sandwich dial and the whole look is just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    The 233 is the best PAM for me, hands down it beats the likes of the 312. The only thing i'd change on a 233 is the power indicator, i'd move that to the back like on new PAMs, but apart from that the 1950s case, the domed crystal, the large clear sandwich dial and the whole look is just perfect.
    It is a beauty but these babies cost nearly 9k new now :cry:

a nice pre-owned one will be around £6k. When you consider that's only £1500 more than the list for a 312....... 8)

a nice pre-owned one will be around £6k. When you consider that's only £1500 more than the list for a 312....... 8)
    Can you please stop right there? I've been trying not to consider that :D

:lol:

:lol:
    But now you have........I'm in action mode :wink:

Journeyman

So long PO So long...
    PAM 4 EVER :wink:

Craftsman

Don't do it. Going from two watches down to one is heading in the wrong direction. Wait a year. Secretly keep a running total of shoes, handbags, skin care products and other non-essentials purchased by wife during that period. Then broach the subject with your spouse again. If she continues to object present her with an invoice for all her purchases and insist that, since she is so concerned with unnecessary expenditures, she reimburse the household budget for these items.

Or just go out and buy the damn watch. Remember, it is always better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :D

You see, I told you Toshi was a bad influence :lol:

I'm now swaying between a 233 or Big Pilot for this year. I was wanting a Big Pilot but Toshi's pics is clouding my judgement :lol:

Have you tried a 312? I think the in-house automatics add some thickness heft to an already substantial watch.

PAM 111 is classical, and although the PO is not my cup of tea, I would go for classicism and diversity over a 312, and I quite like the 312