closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales Corner

Banned

Sales Corner

How bloody slow has it gone of late :shock: Some great watches and great prices on there (including a nice Snowflake :lol: )
    Seriously though a few Months back these would have flown out the door

Mart

Master

Re: Sales Corner

I know. Glashutte Original, couple of lovely Blancpains the list goes on. Plenty of bargains to be had if you have the moolah. And yes the snowflake is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    How bloody slow has it gone of late :shock: Some great watches and great prices on there (including a nice Snowflake :lol: )

Mart
    You post that you've stopped buying and then complain that watches aren't selling. THAT'S BECAUSE YOU WERE BUYING THEM ALL!!!!!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Very true, I've got one up that I'd have thought would fly out....Sign of the times I suppose. What I do like though is that Eddie lets us sell various other bits and bobs, so it still makes the SC worth visiting, instead of seeing the same old watches just sitting there for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Mart
    You post that you've stopped buying and then complain that watches aren't selling. THAT'S BECAUSE YOU WERE BUYING THEM ALL!!!!!

Eddie
    :D

Mart

Eddie
    Good one Eddie. I await Mart's reponse :wink: :wink: :wink:
    ______

​Jim.

Master

Mart
    On the other hand, birchgra's APROO Scuba sold in a smidgen over 24 hours - not bad for serious bit of kit.

I think its down to the price, "cheap" watches seem to sell.

Over the last 3 years things got a little out of hand. My GMTII was just over £1500 in 2006, does a sevice really make it worth another £1000 now?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663

Mart

Eddie

There is no answer

Mart

Eddie

There is no answer
    I think that's best.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade

Over the last 3 years things got a little out of hand. My GMTII was just over £1500 in 2006, does a sevice really make it worth another £1000 now?

I think that's the problem, in 2007 i sold a GMT II for just a little less than you, it cost me £2350 and sold for about £1550, now it sells for £3900 and you'd get £3000 secondhand for it (going by todays Sub).

I think the high end stuff just isn't moving too well unless someone wants it, or it's a bit rarer than others, there seems to always be Rolexes for sale, GMT IICs, SD, etc and you know that if someone lists one for 3k you just have to wait until it comes down a bit, or just wait a week for the next one to come along.

There is no answer
    That's it, game over.

The first time ever that a Welshman has been lost for words.

:shock:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

There has been a slow down but I have a solution. My mint Longines Conquest with 15 months warranty was up at a bargain price but didn't sell. I sold it to myself once the next payday came around. Best purchase I have made yet. Loving wearing it at the moment. No delivery charges either! :D

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Close it, it doesn't work anymore

:lol:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    There is no answer
    That's it, game over.

The first time ever that a Welshman has been lost for words.

:shock:

R
    :lol: :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

Yea a lot of truth in what you've said. The Dreadnoughts went stupid for 18 months and now, they are falling well back to a more realistic price IMHO. I having never got caught up in the Rolex nonsense, just paying through the nose for a name? Just as good quality watches out there at a quarter of the price!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart

Yea a lot of truth in what you've said. The Dreadnoughts went stupid for 18 months and now, they are falling well back to a more realistic price IMHO. I having never got caught up in the Rolex nonsense, just paying through the nose for a name? Just as good quality watches out there at a quarter of the price!

Pay just for the name? You are confusing Rolex with Panerai ;)

Isnt it always like this when summer comes around, people need money for holidays etc rather than buy watches...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

Isnt it always like this when summer comes around, people need money for holidays etc rather than buy watches...
    No, you need money for the taxman when July 31st comes around :cry: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I don't understand why people flip these high end watches. I've only ever sold a couple in order to buy a grail but If you sell because you need the money, what were you doing buying in the first place?
    Is it the same vanity that sees people buying new cars because the neighbours might think they couldn't afford one otherwise? Or do these people see watches as fashion jewellery, constantly needing to wear the flavour of the month?
    Every watch over £100 I've ever bought, I've bought to keep, with money I've earned and with no intention of selling it and I find it hard to understand why I see so many so-called grail watches up for sale.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    I don't understand why people flip these high end watches. I've only ever sold a couple in order to buy a grail but If you sell because you need the money, what were you doing buying in the first place?
    Is it the same vanity that sees people buying new cars because the neighbours might think they couldn't afford one otherwise? Or do these people see watches as fashion jewellery, constantly needing to wear the flavour of the month?
    Every watch over £100 I've ever bought, I've bought to keep, with money I've earned and with no intention of selling it and I find it hard to understand why I see so many so-called grail watches up for sale.
    To be honest that's a bit unfair, be it greed or anything else, a lot of people has been earning a good salary in the last years and some have put their money into watches.
    These days, things have changed substantially for a lot of people and their assets have now to pay for their expenses.
    I have had a large number of people asking for advice as they have now lost money, houses and other assets, etc and have no idea of how to claim benefits or any help available.

I have also noticed that shopping does cost more now, so at the end of the month there's less left to put in the "watch kittie".
    The good thing about this is that second hand prices have become more reasonable, although they probably will go up again when things get better...
    I also sold my GMT Master for 2,350GBP and now can't find it anywhere near that price anymore... :|

Master

Poor sales posts don't help either. Unclear or no pictures, linking to a previous sellers post, bumping instead of reducing the price. The markets falling yet sellers expect the same price they've paid.

Master

I've only ever sold a couple in order to buy a grail but If you sell because you need the money, what were you doing buying in the first place?
    It may seem strange but the amount of money I have available to spend varies (according to what other things may be happening in my life) and my tastes change (often with the additional knowledge that I have accrued).

I know, it sounds highly implausible.

I'm probably just a one-off to be in that situation.

.....I find it hard to understand why I see so many so-called grail watches up for sale.
    Because a grail is only such until you get it. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Unrealistic pricing IMO.

We are not dealers (most of us :wink: ) so we cannot sell at those sorts of prices.

Also the "I want what I paid" brigade. The watch has had an extra owner and it's still the same price?

If a watch is priced right it will sell fast.

The constant bumping up of overpriced stuff is frankly embarrassing IMO.

If you want to sell it reduce the price by a fair chunk and you will be rid.

If you can't afford to take a bit of a hit, you are flipping too much and can't really afford it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Unrealistic pricing IMO.

We are not dealers (most of us :wink: ) so we cannot sell at those sorts of prices.

Also the "I want what I paid" brigade. The watch has had an extra owner and it's still the same price?

If a watch is priced right it will sell fast.

The constant bumping up of overpriced stuff is frankly embarrassing IMO.

If you want to sell it reduce the price by a fair chunk and you will be rid.

If you can't afford to take a bit of a hit, you are flipping too much and can't really afford it.
    100%. Although there are rare and desirable items that will command the same figure as the sellers original purchase price or higher, but they are far more the exception than the rule.

R

R

Some of these high end watches are only available from certain dealers and sometimes not nationally. If it's at a good price; a price you can afford, it may be an option to buy, try it on and if you don't like it, flip it. I know i've been in situation where i cannot drive to Yorkshire to try a watch so i bought it, tried it, found it's not for me and flipped it. It's not greed or the fact i cannot afford it or vanity even. If you bought a watch, had it for a couple of weeks and don't gel, if it's in the same condition as when you bought it, then why not attempt to sell it without taking too much of a hit?

I may be opening up for trouble but i do think a lot of stuff is overpriced.

A B-1 just made £1000 dead on ebay the other day - seller would get about £920.
    Sub date (with a tiny chip on glass) made £1845.
    That is where the market is IMHO.

Sold 2 watches at the weekend to clear some finance - both made short of what i'd REALLY want - but they sold and i didn't lose anything.

The "asking what i paid for it" scenario is a difficult one.
    Constant "nice watch - if only i had the money" quotes are done to death - and have been mentioned prev.

Guy who took a Rolex off me at weekend gets 18% off at his AD - he buys top end for his wife, but used stuff for work etc.

You wouldn't get that at every AD - it's geography too.

The North South divide is still there - watches are cheaper IMO the further North i go - even 2nd hand.
    London prices are just that - London salaries etc drive the market there.

Anyway - i still look and barter on SC.
    OT stuff is always interesting too, some reasonable deals on 2nd hand electrical goods and phones, plus the odd quirky thing.

Ebay IS the place for exposure to a fuller more open market - but the pitfalls and fees are needing to be taken into account.

Good luck to all the sellers.

I feel the same. I still don't really get all this buying and flipping of high end watches and a lot of it seems like peer pressure or competition. I like watches and find it fascinating reading about them on this forum, but I don't feel the need to buy expensive watches. Part of this is because I'm trying to be sensible and putting money aside so that we can be mortgage free in a few years time but part is that I don't believe that the marginal pleasure I would gain from owning a £5k watch vs a £500 watch is worth the extra spend to me. Maybe in 5 years time when my mortgage is fully paid off I'll feel differently.

Mart
    My girlfriend has told me that if we get married she'll buy me a watch as a wedding present. That Snowflake has severely tested my resolve!
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    My girlfriend has told me that if we get married she'll buy me a watch as a wedding present.
    :shock: Stay single and buy yourself ten watches...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip
    I feel the same. I still don't really get all this buying and flipping of high end watches and a lot of it seems like peer pressure or competition.
    Total claptrap! There are loads of us that buy a high end watch thinking it is a grail, then get bored of it and flip for money for the next grail. I justify my hobby spending in that if I buy a luxury secondhand watch, generally I only lose about £50-£100 if I decide to sell it on...effectively like "renting" the pleasure of owning/wearing that watch. I'd much rather have secondhand high end watches in the safe than cash in the bank - I get more pleasure from them than seeing the extra £10k on an account balance. In the 10 years of watch collecting, I have probably been through a good £25k of watches but have actually spent well under half that. The buying and selling of watches has allowed that turnover.

So no, I suspect many of us on here buy watches with the intention of keeping but deep down know we will end up getting bored and move on. Thats why SC is such a great place....it is the hub of the hobby for me.

Perhaps some watches on SC are overpriced. I can't say I really understand the market that well. But to me if there are loads of a particular watch in circulation and there were loads made when it was in production it has no rarity value. In my book that equals a more realistic value 2nd hand.
    I have wondered a few times in sellers are taking their cue from London dealer quoted prices which are ridiculous and way more than you can buy the watches for if you walk into the shop with a wad of fifties.
    Certainly I struggle when I can get well over 10% off new from an AD to see how quoting the "list price" in a SC post helps anybody. I would like to buy a Rolex( Pepsi GMTII) but the market seems crazy. Unrestored examples of the watch seemingly selling for more than well maintained ones because of their "wabi" I simply don't see it, inevitably I read beautifully faded bezel as worn out bezel. This might sound harsh but Rolex GMT's with stretched bracelets and faded bezels are barrow boy watches IMHO. Much like knackered Subaru Imprezza's are the preserve of spotty oiks.

There are definite oversupply issues- a Rollie or a Breetling seems to come on pretty much every day, so if you're thinking about it you may as well wait. On the other hand today's PRS5 was gone in less than an hour.

I suspect a lot of us are somewhat more insecure in our jobs than we were a year or two ago -well ok, I am- and the exposure on a £3k timepiece can be a bit nervewracking. I also agree with the comments above about obstinate "I want what i paid for it" posts. Looks like a market with defiant sellers who may have bought high and are unwilling to take a hit meeting price sensitive sellers who know there's always something similar round the corner.

By the way if you have a PRS5....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip
    I feel the same. I still don't really get all this buying and flipping of high end watches and a lot of it seems like peer pressure or competition.
    Total claptrap! There are loads of us that buy a high end watch thinking it is a grail, then get bored of it and flip for money for the next grail. I justify my hobby spending in that if I buy a luxury secondhand watch, generally I only lose about £50-£100 if I decide to sell it on...effectively like "renting" the pleasure of owning/wearing that watch. I'd much rather have secondhand high end watches in the safe than cash in the bank - I get more pleasure from them than seeing the extra £10k on an account balance. In the 10 years of watch collecting, I have probably been through a good £25k of watches but have actually spent well under half that. The buying and selling of watches has allowed that turnover.

So no, I suspect many of us on here buy watches with the intention of keeping but deep down know we will end up getting bored and move on. Thats why SC is such a great place....it is the hub of the hobby for me.

Well said, that. A certain amount of flipping is necessary if one wants to keep the hobby alive. There comes a time when the novelty wears off and you need to try something new. It doesn't really matter if you flip expensive pieces or moderately priced ones, it's the same principle.

I suspect that if I were in the UK and had RMSD to count on, I'd be flipping Rollers and Omegas like crazy

Cheers

Stern

Reading this thread has made me realise that WISdom comes in different forms. :idea: Startling and obvious to most of you already I know.

I am a collector not a flipper. I'd only be motivated to flip a watch if I had bought a better example of the same. Sad but true.

I think the serial flippers must get a buzz out of buying and owning a watch for a period of time? Not that I understand why that would float your boat. Anybody care to explain?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort
    I think the serial flippers must get a buzz out of buying and owning a watch for a period of time? Not that I understand why that would float your boat. Anybody care to explain?
    Similar to me keeping a car for 10 years, whereas my brother in law changes every 1-2 years? Neither of us fully appreciates the other's point of view.

Reading this thread has made me realise that WISdom comes in different forms. :idea: Startling and obvious to most of you already I know.

I am a collector not a flipper. I'd only be motivated to flip a watch if I had bought a better example of the same. Sad but true.

There are a number of reasons why people flip.
    Finance: Watch is flipped to provide cash for something else, could be higher or lower value, might not even be a watch.
    Disappointment: Sought after watch obtained & doesn't float the boat as anticipated.
    Shiny/new: The I've got to have..." syndrome.
    Box ticking: Had everything by manufacturer X? Here's a new model.
    There are probably a hundred other reasons. I know that I have flipped because I simply couldn't
    afford to keep buying without selling. I'd also have far too many watches & I like to wear what I've got.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

I wondered when i'd read that. Took a bit longer than i anticipated :D

Don't forget after the summer holidays it's the christmas lull, then it's the easter break.

Lot of people living in a watch price fantasy world at the moment hoping to cash in and trouser some readies.
    IMHO (worthless i know), prices will drop further. That's why i'm not buying anything yet. :D

I agree with Steptoe.

In the real world most consumer items depreciate in value with age. Only rare items increase in value.
    The coming budget is going to make a lot of people think about luxury purchases and that can only push prices down. My advice to those selling on SC at the moment is price sensibly and listen to offers as those offers might look really good looking back a month from now.

Master

....... My advice to those selling on SC at the moment is price sensibly and listen to offers as those offers might look really good looking back a month from now....
    Agreed.

However, if VAT goes up to 20 + % and / or we get a bit more inflation , then perhaps SC asking prices of "previously enjoyed" high end stuff may look (even) better value against RRP.

Meantime, as with other markets, it may be the "uncertainty factor" which is keeping prices down just now

Clearly the wrong time to post up a Zenith Daytona then :?

There are probably a hundred other reasons. I know that I have flipped because I simply couldn't
    afford to keep buying without selling. I'd also have far too many watches & I like to wear what I've got.
    I think that pretty much sums me up too. If I had limitless funds and no guilt of having 50 watches sat in the safe, I'd just keep buying.

My collection now stands at:

Speedmaster Moonwatch
    Seamaster Americas Cup
    Seamaster AT
    Breitling Navitimer
    Breitling Aerospace
    Rolex GMT-IIc
    Longines Conquest
    Longines Master Date
    Omega Dynamic
    PRS-5

All except the Navitimer purchased from SC.

I can't see me flipping or selling any of the above, but to reach this collection, I have tended to buy watches in the £200-500 range, get bored of them, sell them and trade upwards eventually arriving at the Omega/Breitling which becomes the keeper.

I've flipped through PRS-14, PRS-50, PRS-22 (x2), Hamiltons, Seikos, Archimedes, three Omega Seamasters, two other Rolex, two Longines, Omega Speedmaster....etc...

I also find myself flipping then coming back to a watch at a later date. I flipped a Moonwatch then about 6 years later bought another. I've also flipped 2 Speedbird III's. In fact, I can see myself buying another PRS-22...almost as mad as the redmonaco and his Longines Conquest flipping!

Not sure why I have to flip really...part of the WIS madness! :drunken:

Banned

If you have a watch that someone wants you will sell it buddy. A Zenith Daytona struggled to sell on the Rolex forum a while ago if I remember? He got around £5700 for it and it was a minter.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats

I suspect a lot of us are somewhat more insecure in our jobs than we were a year or two ago -well ok, I am- and the exposure on a £3k timepiece can be a bit nervewracking. I also agree with the comments above about obstinate "I want what i paid for it" posts.
    That certainly true. I've not got tenure, just came up for my tri-yearly renewal, and was worried about the financial situation of the college. But, I wasn't worried about a £3k exposure, more like a £3 exposure.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries

Doesn't it also have a lot to do with the 'buzz' of negotiating/awaiting your new aquisition..?

However once arrived and spent some time on the wrist, something else, more desirable is the new 'grail' ??
    Cheers, Peter

I wonder if flipping affects other collectables as much as it does watches?

I'm sure it does. And the costs involved in watches pales into insignificance when I consider my pal who's 'flipped' 3 wives so far. :wink:

R

Master

But to count as a collection, does he not have to have them at the same time? ( in which case his troubles may be more than financial :wink: )

Blog Entries

Well I'm not too good at hanging onto my chariots for too long

I've always found the big ticket stuff easy to choose , I'm 48 and so far i've have flipped; 1 house, 4 cars and 1 Rolex.

It's the beater watches I have a problem with, must have bought and sold 100 under £250. At a loss of, say, £25 each thats the Sub date I tell myself I can't afford.