closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Put every Swatch ever made in a kitchen blender

Master

Re: Put every Swatch ever made in a kitchen blender

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Is there a difference in quality - actual, not perceived - for Seiko made in Japan vs, I think, Thailand? I think I recall that some model codes specify where it was made and that J models have a premium. Is this justified, or just assumed that a Japanese Seiko will be better?

Seiko and Casio second hand values seem to be better on J models made in Japan, compared to the K for Korea. The movements themselves are all made in Japan but assembly is then in many countries depending on the models: Malaysia, Vietnam, China and Hong Kong, Korea, Thailand and Singapore. For the Japanese market they need the J as Japanese people don't like anything made in the other Asian countries. In my opinion there is no quality difference at all, you get what you pay for. The cases and bracelets are anyhow all made in Vietnam and China for anything but the very high end watches. The movements are Japanese so its in fact the same thing, only that labour is so much cheaper in the other countries.

Master

:thumbright: thanks for the info Dan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    is that G even made in japan? And where are those silly plastic swatch made too?
    Most G's are actually assembled in Thailand or China, with a select few being made entirely in Japan. The modules are made in Japan.

Swatch is a fully automated production line. They are made 100% in Switzerland. From the cases, straps to the movements everything is made and assembled there. The movements are all made by ETA and assembly is next door. But there are also factories owned by Swatch located all over Switzerland that produce parts.

One thing we need to remember is that there would be no Swiss Mechanical watches at all without Swatch the plastic watch.
    The Swatch success money was used to revive all the ailing brands and out of this success the other watch groups were able to build themselves up too.

Never liked any of the G or Swatch offerings as I just don't like plastic very much.

One thing we need to remember is that there would be no Swiss Mechanical watches at all without Swatch the plastic watch.
    The Swatch success money was used to revive all the ailing brands and out of this success the other watch groups were able to build themselves up too.
    I don't get that at all - if you do indeed mean that there wouldn't have been any Swiss manufacturers left.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info RE Japan vs elsewhere, interesting to know.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I don't get that at all - if you do indeed mean that there wouldn't have been any Swiss manufacturers left.

R
    Bar very few; Rolex, Patek, pretty much all watch companies were either bankrupt or on the verge when Swatch mania hit the world. Even IWC had to be sold to prevent closure..... Hayek used the funds from Swatch to revive the whole industry and all the companies the Swatch group now owns. The billions he spent in marketing and sales worldwide opened the market and created desire for Swiss Mechanicals again, only once the market was there again did the other groups start buying up too and saving what was left or buying brands that had vanished already to give them new life. No other watch brand in Switzerland will ever be as successful as Swatch in terms of numbers and profit. As Hayek said many times the money is not in Blancpain or Breguet, its in the plastic Swatch. ETA which is the heart of the whole Swatch group producing most movements has been the least profitable operation within the group until very recently. But then again I am sure that creative accounting for political advantages has always been practised within large groups of companies like Swatch.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here is the kit for the more romantic who want to involve the girlfriend and/or wife:

Banned
    Blog Entries

And there are very nice Swatches too btw.
    The creative art series had a neolithic cave art model that I VERY much would have liked to own but was too late to buy :(
    For the more classical art lovers Swatch makes an interesting series for the Vatican Museum. All limited production runs and gone = gone.
    Also I bought my wife a not at all bad looking Irony that is proving to be a really tough beater. It needs a new strap now and I have sofar not been able to find one as cheerfully coloured as the original one so I might end up replacing it with a cheerfull G-shock.

Master

anyone know where i can get one? assuming there not a stupid price.

Master

This is more like it, actually not too bad and for once real carbon fibre :lol: less than 47gramms in weight including strap:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bloater
    anyone know where i can get one? assuming there not a stupid price.
    In europe they are about 149 Euro for the ts set. You should have no trouble find one on-line allthough they áre getting thin on the ground allready.
    The exact model# is GA-110F-2JR.
    Success!

Master

A quick scan has found the for around £220 a bit more searching may be in order

Banned
    Blog Entries

A cheerfull chap from classic Swiss watches

Alain Silberstein Bauhaus Lemania 5100
    Priced at 2950,- Euro.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Dast
    Pack the bullying in chaps.

It is for our host to take a view as to whether a particular poster may continue. It is a poor show to gang up on a poster because you don't like what he has to say. If you don't agree with him, just ignore him. There is a regular cycle here. H says something, people disagree with him, usually rudely, H defends himself (as, of course, is his right), this gives people the hump and the bullying begins. Break the cycle by not engaging with someone who winds you up.
    I agree strongly. H on the other hand should stop useing those dumb accents (apostrophes or whatever) on his words, obviously a lame attempt to provoke...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    :lol: wtf are you on about Daddel, wheres the swiss in this thread, why shouldnt the op post about the watches hes interested in?its just a bit of fun isnt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Another Japanese vs Swiss story.......... :roll:
    Fun is what it is about yes. The whole hobby. To mé at least but that seems to be not universal.

Another thing is that without different facets a diamond is just a lump of crystal. Same thing with a twist is the contrast between mountains and valleys, lasagna and fish&chips.
    Independant of the perceived or real qualities all Omepanro Wis-dom becomes bland selfcontented porridge.
    For the reading impaired: this porridge thing has nothing to do with Omepanro; it would be exáctly the same if Wis-dom would exclusively revere G-shocks or Poljot Chronos only. Wis-dom should be colourfull and diverse FÚN!

Besides being a bl@@!dy good watch the g-shock of the ts adds a bit of colour to the grey and is good medicine against taking it all too serious :bounce:
    I started out reading this, really, I did, but halfway I produced a big fart, and couldn't be arsed anymore.
    I wonder why :roll: :wink:

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

:lol: wtf are you on about Daddel, wheres the swiss in this thread, why shouldnt the op post about the watches hes interested in?its just a bit of fun isnt it.
    Another Japanese vs Swiss story.......... :roll:
    Isn't the title of this thread a give-away :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Craftsman

You must really seek contradiction if you thought like that :roll:

It's quite obvious that it's a reference to all colorfull swatches being blended to cause this multicolored horror. H even states that he likes Swatches too so there really should be no misunderstangin. Unless one wants, of course...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM

It's quite obvious that it's a reference to all colorfull swatches being blended to cause this multicolored horror. H even states that he likes Swatches too so there really should be no misunderstangin. Unless one wants, of course...
    Am I getting paranoid? :shock:
    No, no, you just have to read between the lines.......... :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Am I getting paranoid? :shock:
    No, no, you just have to read between the lines.......... :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Which means that you just read what you want to read which is what Pekkas wrote ín his lines :idea:

Here is another line for you: at the moment I am trying to re-encounter the watch I tripped over last night; a beaútifull gold 1956 Rolex that I would lóve to own and wear. That is pre ´superlative´ so my wife will not veto it.

Craftsman

Pléásé, cán't wé júst gét álóng? :drunken:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yep, that is pretty much how spanish is riddled with hyphens :idea:

Blog Entries

No problem Pekka, just a bit of harmless fun, IMHO :)
    After all they are just watches........

Cheers,

Daddel.

After all they are just watches........
    Surely this is the most offensive thing written in this thread!! Heresy!!

Straight Red! Early shower for you, my son!!

:lol:

I for one really enjoyed reading about plastic quartz watches for a change. I'd happily own some of these G-shocks, and even the toys that go with them are desirable in a pop art way: great marketing, G-shock. I wish the prices weren't quite so high, or is that just a reflection of my economic circumstances these days? Regardless, it would be nice if the Japanese didn't exclusively get all the nicest toys.

I think different forum members express themselves differently, we are all guilty of getting enthusiastic, obsessive, flamboyant, and sometimes even delusional about our particular likes and tastes. But if we think someone is boring (and in this case I don't) then we can always choose not to read. I can't see anything overtly rude in the OP's posts. However, I do think that some of the responses have been rude and bullying (and I have yet to meet a bully who ever apologised, so it is self-perpetuating). I think the OP has responded bravely and with dignity in the circumstances. I haven't found some of the above posts pleasant reading.

Sunnie

Am I the only one who has a fundamental problem with the concept of a plastic watch?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Am I the only one who has a fundamental problem with the concept of a plastic watch?

R

Craftsman

Probably. That can be remedied though. I used to have a problem with those Canon EF L series lenses cased in plastic until I got one. Only then I learned that it was lighter, tougher, more resistant to heat variations and cheaper to manufacture. Cannot see anything wrong with it now.

I think plastic goes in same category as carbon fibre and rubber when it comes to watches. All three are fine if used correctly.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Probably.

probably not ralphy, there are a few of us on here :wink:

R
    I could never wear one at my advanced age. :lol:

They look to me like the sort of thing a 12 year old would wear. :wink:

Are people really kidding themselves that these look alright?

If you are on some kind of expedition, military operation etc they are fine but to wear for everyday use???

I suppose you youngsters can get away with it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    No, they mean it.

I imagine a taste for bronze things lingered into the iron age. :wink:

If you are on some kind of expedition, military operation etc they are fine but to wear for everyday use???
    Count me out of any op were they're wearing one of the ones in the OP's pic. :wink:

R

Craftsman

The original topic of this thread? I don't think anyone honestly liked that in this thread. Perhaps as a curiosity.

Or did you refer to plastic watches in general? :shock:

The original topic of this thread? I don't think anyone honestly liked that in this thread. Perhaps as a curiosity.

Or did you refer to plastic watches in general? :shock:
    Plastic watches in general.

They just look so naff to me.

I can understand the utility of the things but could never wear one.

But then my life isn't one adventure after another. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A fun design, obviously not to everyones taste, but so what, I sill think it has it's place.

R

It is certainly a matter of to each his own. Quite okay to loathe them.

This plastic fantastic G is certainly not beautiful by any means. It is how ever one of the most durable and toughest watches out there and I like it for that. It s also from the mid nineties and has been worn and abused, but still has all functions.

I use it when rowing, roughing it in the outdoors and for when I have to do maintenance chores around the home, bike etc. It works fine for all of the above mentioned activities.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

R

It is certainly a matter of to wach his own. Quite okay to loathe them.

This plastic fantastic G is certainly not beautiful by any means. It is how ever one of the most durable and toughest watches out there and I like it for that. It s also from the mid nineties and has been worn and abused, but still has all functions.

I use it when rowing, roughing it in the outdoors and for when I have to do maintenance chores around the home, bike etc. It works fine for all of the above mentioned activities.
    I don't loathe them, they are simply not for me.

As I said a utilitarian design for you adventurers. :)

The most adventure I get is taking the dog for a walk or going to the paper shop so durability and toughness is not that important to me, although I will wear a divers watch if it looks like rain :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

[quote=Neil.C]
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":2pvaxrwe

R

It is certainly a matter of to wach his own. Quite okay to loathe them.

I don't loathe them, they are simply not for me.

As I said a utilitarian design for you adventurers. :)

The most adventure I get is taking the dog for a walk or going to the paper shop so durability and toughness is not that important to me, although I will wear a divers watch if it looks like rain :lol: :wink:[/quote:2pvaxrwe]

Some of the places i've lived, taking the dog for a walk or going to the shop to buy a paper was a tactical mission through the urban jungle all on its own :blackeye: :shock:

Sunnie

Banned
    Blog Entries

The original topic of this thread? I don't think anyone honestly liked that in this thread.
    Well, I do actually and so do several more. I would wear it without hesitation. It´s fún!!

For me G-shocks come in two categories which overlap/combine. They are thé rugged watch and you can make just about any kind of flippant or conforming statement you like with them.
    If you visit a sex convention make sure you wear the both flippant and conforming :mrgreen:

There are several ones with a donation to charity or nature conservation but brighly coloured space approved too if thát scratches your itch.
    If you are a hard core Manga fan you nééd a

See:

Durable fun :bounce:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Speaking of durable fun.
    We have:

http://watchgeek.blogspot.com/2009/10/c ... overs.html
    in the Devil & Angel. Exactly the same save for the backlid figures.

We take our relation serious, not ourselves so we will wear it if we feel like that, whatever the occasion or dress code.

Almost as durable as diamond, a dimension more romatic and a lot cheaper :idea:

There a very few dedicated lover´s watch sets about actually. Dedicated his & her´s are scarce enough but the lover´s set is something apart. Casio use to keep up this tradition for Valentine´s day.