closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pound for pound watch

Re: Best pound for pound watch

Although I wear a vintage JLC much of the time, the best watch pound for pound is the classic Casio digital. Back in fashion and £8.99 at Argos.

Master
    Blog Entries

Pre-owned Girard Perregaux are hard to beat for the money. Produced in limited numbers and with in house manufacture - most of the models are available under £3K warrantied and mint!

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Although I wear a vintage JLC much of the time, the best watch pound for pound is the classic Casio digital. Back in fashion and £8.99 at Argos.
    I paid £12 for mine about 18 mouths ago, not from argos tho. Still a good watch for work, looks and function wise.

As for the best pound for pound watch, my vote goes with the PO.

Totally agree with Vince - wrist time is the only thing that translates - my most worn watch ever was an Explorer II - now it's a Daytona 116509. Neither cheap and neither could be described as punching above it's weight - but they are the best watches for continuously keeping me interested in wearing them that I have owned to date.
    It's just a matter of time...

Nomos Orion for me. £900 invested and killed my desire for GO, Dornbleuth, JLC and Lange exotica.

I vote for my first 'decent' watch: Omega Seamaster 2254.50 second hand. I know Omega, like everyone else, has ramped their prices up massively recently, but they still offer good value second hand.

Journeyman

I'm maybe a little too experienced to answer this question.

I would agree on a personal level that the best pound for pound is the one you enjoy wearing the most.

However, pre-owned Rolex have great residuals, well built and you won't lose money on them so in that respect they are a safe purchase even if you don't like them, good chance you'll move it on for a similar price that you paid, same with SMP and Speedies from Omega - their reputation and branding gives them a good rep with excellent history behind them and they both Omega and Rolex seem very popular on this site.

Out of my own watches the citizen Eco-drive has the most features, perpetual date and has kept perfect time since I bought it but I just don't want to wear it any more (poor thing).

The Seiko Diver I own was considerably chaper than both of my Oris watches but I'm happy sharing wrist time with all three of these at the moment but I can't deny the build quality and time keeping of the Seiko makes it a little bit of a bargain even if I would argue the extra money spent on the two Oris was money well spent (to me).

Also, having looked at some very recently and hope to purchase one, the G-shocks look exceptional value, well built, loads of functions and always accurate and very well priced.

Looking around in my price bracket, Glycine and Ball both have a range of watches that appeal and some of the recent pre-owned prices in the SC for these make them very appealing.

Not an easy question to answer.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by proby24
    I vote for my first 'decent' watch: Omega Seamaster 2254.50 second hand. I know Omega, like everyone else, has ramped their prices up massively recently, but they still offer good value second hand.
    Agreed, as well as the 2531 SMP. About 5 years ago the 2531 and 2254 were selling for £1200 brand new. Fast forward to 2010 and used, you're looking at £850 - £1000 for a minty one. Not a bad investment IMO.

....until Omega started adding the Co-Ax to the Cal. 1120 (with varying degrees of success !) and started charging over 2 G's for the same watch that cost nearly half that 5 years ago.

Going the Rolex route, any Sub/SD/GMT/Exp II from the early noughties which can be had for around 2.5 G's are excellent value IMO, just I can't afford one and that depresses me somewhat :(

I agree with the Dreadnought as the best - it was certainly my best value watch however you cut it.

Three years of fairly constant wear (5 days a week on average) at a total cost to me of -£650 (yes that's a minus at the start).

That means that it paid me about 83p for every day I wore it - I've never owned anything better value than that and I doubt I ever will.

Cheers,

Seagull Auto for $125..

Master

Currently my Damasko DA37, it's an Automatic mechanical watch that keeps time to COSC standards, the legibility is amazing, it tells the day and the date, it's almost impossible to scratch (and if you do it could be re-finished), it's water-resistant enough for normal swimming, it has an easily-serviced movement, has great lume and you are never likely to meet anyone else wearing one (unless you go to one of the forum get-togethers) - for £700 that's a bargain in my book.

G-Shock GW-M5600-1ER (and similar)

Costs relatively nothing, accurate to the second (or +/-15 secs per month if you are in space), water resistant to 200m, no batteries, loads of functions and no moving parts so virtually unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The Best Watch In The Real World.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Seiko SKX007K.
    I'm with Mr Seamaster on this one too. For £100 (I paid less for mine) it's just superb value for money. Looks great on a nato too:

chrisc

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    a pre-owned sub date or gmt or Explorer bought second hand from the forums shouldnt really lose value as you should alsways be able to sell it for what you padied for it,so in real terms you havent really "spent"
    I hope so as i'm just about to purchase a Sub date....what's a decent price?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    a pre-owned sub date or gmt or Explorer bought second hand from the forums shouldnt really lose value as you should alsways be able to sell it for what you padied for it,so in real terms you havent really "spent"
    Try telling that to your bank manager/wife/starving children.

There is an ongoing convo in G&D about the use of phrase "I'ld like what i paid for it" in SC

For specification, I'd say the SBIII takes some beating.

In general, I'd say Longines makes some really nice pieces at very reasonable prices....especially on the secondhand market. I've owned various Conquest models, and hydroconquest and they really struck me as being very good value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

Rolex GMT 16750, purchased for £320 in 82, worn everyday for 17 years - one Rolex service £225 quid, before being sold for £1600 in 1999

Andy
    I don't think that, pound for pound, you can beat that!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drum2000

Rolex GMT 16750, purchased for £320 in 82, worn everyday for 17 years - one Rolex service £225 quid, before being sold for £1600 in 1999

Andy
    Unless you bought a Patek Philippe chronograph in the 40's or 50's, that is...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum2000

Andy
    Unless you bought a Patek Philippe chronograph in the 40's or 50's, that is...
    Or simply something pre-owned in gold.

Would have >tripled in value not 30 0r 70 years, no in just 10 :shock:
    Mind you that is cash in hand ánywhere.

At the moment you can find a surpising interesting variety of mayor brand quality watches for LESS than the gold value. It is not for nothing that scrapping them is not a rare occurance.
    The prices are fár from Rolex territory; you can buy an 18K Omega for prices I see being paid for eta engined divers!

Another vote for the PRS 17. In this case the auto.

Journeyman

Could it be this?

lol

Nice thread. Speedmaster is favorite 'cause every collector wants one and it's got everything you ever want in a watch. It's dressy yet casual. (I'm just a poor bugger with a seiko diver :-):-))
    Other watches that come to mind are the Seiko divers, the 007 and the good old monster. I'm also happy to see that Oris is being mentioned. Underrated but considering the build quality and overall looks, it could kick Omega's PO's @ss.