closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: U-Boats - too big?

Journeyman

U-Boats - too big?

Being a country bumpkin, I jumped at the chance of ogling Selfridges watch department this Saturday when I was in London and finally saw the U-boats in the flesh.

The 55mm face one is IMMENSE!! I like big watches, but anyone else think that these would be too much like having a dinner plate strapped to your wrist? (Made my Super Avenger look small)

Craftsman

Re: U-Boats - too big?

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbillon
    U-Boats - too big?
    yup

IMO yes - and too ugly too. :cry:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Too:-

Big
    Ugly
    Expensive
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    IMO yes - and too ugly too. :cry:

R
    +1 :lol:
    Was just about to say that.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

if your a big lad not to big i have the 53mm :wink:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbillon
    The 55mm face one is IMMENSE!! I like big watches, but anyone else think that these would be too much like having a dinner plate strapped to your wrist? (Made my Super Avenger look small)
    It's all about proportion, and if you're about nine feet tall with a wrist featuring a foot's cicrumference, it will look fine. If not, you'll look like a schoolboy wearing his daddy's bedside alarm clock for a joke. Well, you asked ;).

FWIW I quite like their plain 43mm "Flightdeck" chrono (although perhaps "Flightdesk" would be more apt). Only the plug-ugly canteen-style crown grates (could it be changed/removed?).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. The steam-punk bit has something so if that rocks you (U-)boat...
    The nimbleness is however fairly objective and no, it is not a nimble thing.

Strange too. What is the reasoning behind those things anyway?
    In contrast to the watches the real things are too small rather than too big. I doubt wether one would choose or ever has chosen to wear something clumsy in the confines to the U-boat. It only had to be showerproof as water tended to be kept outsíde of the U-boat and if it wasn´t, the survival of the watch had little priority.
    Just have a look at the masterpiece ´Das Boot´ to see what those guys wore. Just thinking of the scene of the boat appearing out of green water gives me goose bumps. The music too is briljant.

Anyway, yes too big. Not many realy big lads in U-boats either...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

too big, too tacky IMO

cheers
    mike :wink:

Have owned two of these in the past, 43mm chrono and a 45mm AB4 carbon dial.

I can tell you that they were good watches and well put together, as for the size, the 45mm was as big as I could get away with, but you might carry off the larger size.

Many folks here don't like them, but if it's a watch based on a Italian WW2 design, that's still put together today in Italy, it's the only way to go, this might be the cause of some the bitterness aimed at U-Boat. :lol:

They don't do it for me. See a lot of them on the arms of 'media-types', which pretty much sums them up.

Journeyman

I do quite like the Classicos with the Cream face though.

Horrible ugly ungainly abominations IMO

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    but if it's a watch based on a Italian WW2 design,

come on, you have to show me that one :shock: i didnt know they did anything like the panerai??

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408

come on, you have to show me that one :shock: i didnt know they did anything like the panerai??
    I think he was referring to Panerai. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Google is your friend, look it up. While your at it, pls check where these big ugly pam's are put together, I'm sure it's nowhere near Italy. :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Google is your friend, look it up. While your at it, pls check where these big ugly pam's are put together, I'm sure it's nowhere near Italy. :)
    again, no need to be up your own arse, i asked a simple request, if you cant be bothered then, of course i will google it, as for where panerai are put together/made, i have no idea.

Many folks here don't like them, but if it's a watch based on a Italian WW2 design, that's still put together today in Italy, it's the only way to go, this might be the cause of some the bitterness aimed at U-Boat. :lol:
    For what it's worth, I don't think many people are "bitter" towards U-Boat. I think it's more that the brand struggles to be taken seriously. As for the history of U-Boat, the watch the brand is built around never actually existed except in design. It was a design that was rejected by the Italian Navy (during WW2), and never went into production. U-Boat was formed in 2000 by the designers grandson. Not really a huge amount of history there, IMO, but then that's not really important to me. I myself don't like the styling of the watches (the canteen crown mainly), but I have nothing against the concept (Ennebi did the same thing with the Fondale - the brand began with another watch that wasn't picked up by the Italian Navy).

Panerai of course are now made in Switzerland (shock horror!) and owned by Richemont. We know this. While some would have loved Panerai to remain independent and in Florence, the reality is they would probably not be in business today if it wasn't for Richemont. Moving the manufacturing to Switzerland where they had the facilities and skills base to manufacture in volume was essential in making it the brand it is today - and like it or not the quality of modern Panerai are far superior to Pre-Vendome watches.

Personally I don't buy a watch because of where it's built, or the history of the brand, but I guess for those that feel it's important to buy an Italian watch there is always Anonimo or Ennebi - both are my preference to U-Boat TBH

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

thanks for the info rich, i have had a google and come up with some good info on the original designer, quite an interesting read and the uboat u42 which is based on his original plans from 42 sure has a unique crown arrangement :shock:

if anyone else wants to google the original designer his name was ilvo fontana.

cheers
    mike

Craftsman

Big?

I'll give you big!

enormous,too expensive,ugly !!!!

(I almost forgot the worse) FASHIONABLE :?

Whatever blows your hair back. If you like something the size of a set of bathroom scales on your wrist so be it!

Check out this little beauty!

again, no need to be up your own arse, i asked a simple request, if you cant be bothered then, of course i will google it, as for where panerai are put together/made, i have no idea.

Er sorry, I think I know who around here is "up their own arse" a quick look in the mirror will confirm this for you also.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Er sorry, I think I know who around here is "up their own arse" a quick look in the mirror will confirm this for you also.
    back to normal for you then?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Too:-

Big
    Ugly
    Expensive
    +1

Panerai: Italian design - Swiss made.

[quote=seadog1408]
    Quote Originally Posted by "captainhowdy":3a95jt8u

back to normal for you then?[/quote:3a95jt8u]

You bring the best out of me, I don't know why, but you just do.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Big
    Ugly
    Expensive
    The Holy Trinity then :lol:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Have owned two of these in the past, 43mm chrono and a 45mm AB4 carbon dial.

I can tell you that they were good watches and well put together, as for the size, the 45mm was as big as I could get away with, but you might carry off the larger size.

I quite like them, out of my price range currently and I have not handled one.

If I was going to buy an Italian designed watch I would prefer to buy one that was authentic and made in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by nesima

If I was going to buy an Italian designed watch I would prefer to buy one that was authentic and made in Italy.
    What like those Getats? :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

[quote=captainhowdy][quote=seadog1408]
    Quote Originally Posted by "seadog1408":38trvw82
    Quote Originally Posted by "captainhowdy":38trvw82

back to normal for you then?[/quote:38trvw82]

You bring the best out of me, I don't know why, but you just do.[/quote:38trvw82]

There, there capn. We talked a bout this. Deep breath. It is just watches :laughing6:

In my honest opinion, yes they are too big.

Journeyman

Not my first choice... and probably last either... Too Tacky

Might look alright strapped around the outside of the arm of a flying jacket like a navigators watch. :D But the appropriate B-uhr might look better.

I have a 45mm classico AS2 and love it. It is well made, very cool and it almost never comes off my wrist. I would recommend them to anyone!

I would say yes.

gozarin

I own a 53mm Beige Classico and I really love it. Too big? I'm 1,90 meters tall and I think it suites me much better than a 38mm one.

Quote Originally Posted by gozarin
    I own a 53mm Beige Classico and I really love it. Too big? I'm 1,90 meters tall and I think it suites me much better than a 38mm one.
    Well, I am four centimetres taller and absolutely loathe the abominable things :D

Welcome to the forum BTW :P

Show us those watches - those that are not made by 'U-Boat', that is :wink: :lol:

Master

I am in Munich today and I have seen three on people since leaving the airport.......they look a bit "trendy".....a bit like the fake multi-coloured Chanel-a-likes!!

A bit too big for me... I like them though.

Journeyman

Horrendous watches

They are much better quality than most here will give them credit for and I doubt if you'll get many here that like them, good watches if it's what you fancy. That being said I bought my 53mm when the weren't to expensive.

It's not that big, this is big :D

They do look a bit over the top, makes my Tunas look small and when the fashion for oversized watches passes by they'll be very hard to sell-on..
    Steve

Master

I Own a Breitling Super Avenger on my moderate size wrist and thats as big as i would like to go!