closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used watches in London

Used watches in London

Hello,

my name is Timur and I'm from Germany. I will be in London next month and I wanted to know from you locals, where I should look for used watches?

I'm looking for plexi Rolex Datejust/Longines Conquest/Omega Speedy MKII ect.

Thanks for your tips.

Timur

Master

Re: Used watches in London

Well, there is Austin Kaye on The Strand, Watches of Switzerland on Oxford Street have a small collection of used watches and Burlington Arcade (seriously high prices)

For brand new - Harrods, Selfridges' Wonder Room, Jura Watches on Burlington Gardens. Just around the corner from there is the flagship stores of both Rolex and Omega. Wempe is walking distance from there heading back twds Bond Street.

That is just off the top of my head and I'm not local to London, but I'm sure that some of our other members will add some more suggestions.

Have a good trip - hope you have good weather 8)

Hi,

Austin Kaye was a good tip. Already found something an their site!

There's secondhand watch shop at the Oxford St end of Bond St that always starts my Bond St Watch Staring Tour....not sure of the prices but it always has a good stock of stuff in the window.

thanks. But oxfordstreet sounds expensive...

And don't forget Gray's Antique market off Oxford St (right beside Bond St tube).

Say Hi to Paul in watch2watch if you go there. That guy seriously knows his stuff!

thanks.

How about flea markets? Any recommends?

Master

This should help you:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98924&p=1030894

Enjoy!

For those items, check Burlington Arcade and Gray's Antique Market. Also try Princes Arcade near Jermyn Street. Of all these, I think Gray's Anique Market will likely have the best prices. Watches of Switzerland on Oxford Street is better for NOS and brands other than Rolex/Omega. Austin Kaye on the Strand is a very good choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    This should help you:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98924&p=1030894

Enjoy!
    the link is great. Thanks alot.

Nice to see my original tour guide is still proving useful.

One place I did not list was Spitalfields Market.

This is a general antiques* and bric a brac market held on a Thursday and located near Liverpool Street station.

There are just a few watch guys with mainly middle of the road items and most of them are also at Covent Garden on a Monday.

Enjoy your trip. Jack

* I use the term 'antiques' but most is bordeline junk.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by jfoxx
    thanks.

How about flea markets? Any recommends?
    Portobello Road ....thursdays I think...opens around 5 am

Ivan
    iwcforme

Does the place near Spitalfields market have much recent stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadecrab
    Does the place near Spitalfields market have much recent stuff?
    There are very few watches at Spitalfields.

One stall has boxes of broken watches mostly quartz or middle of the road but past being saved - but at a £1 each sometimes have a useful strap or clasp.

Maybe the odd nice watch but not worth going out of your way to get there.

Yesterday the best was an over-polished Omega Cosmic at £295 but was on a very nice Geneve Chronostop mesh bracelet.

Jack

PS. My 100th post :lol:

Popped in to Austin Kaye today, and very impressed with the range of stock available, and the knowledge of Mr Kaye himself :) . I shall be returning some time when my pockets are more appropriately lined with cash :D !

Also had a walk along Burlington Arcade, but the prices are :shock: in comparison. A lovely place to browse, but not to buy, methinks ;) .

Phil

thank you, Phil.

I think that the best option for you...is PORTOBELLO MARKET STREET..!!

You can find anything there.....good luck :P

yes, already wrote down on my list. It's every thursday, right?

Not quite central London but Chiswick High Road, the Swiss Watch Co. Call then first and make an appointment, and get directions, easy to walk by and miss it!
    http://www.watches.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by jfoxx
    yes, already wrote down on my list. It's every thursday, right?
    Saturday is the best day for Portobello. Some out on Friday but not as many as Saturday and I think you will be disappointed if you went on a Thursday which is a very quiet day.

thanks. got that.

This is very useful info, thanks!

Forget portobello market for watches. You'll be wasting your time (pun intended :D ).

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe
    Forget portobello market for watches. You'll be wasting your time (pun intended :D ).
    Any reason why?

I know a few dealers who stall out there with decent stuff a realistic prices.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

this place is often overlooked, in clerkenwell.

http://www.antiquewatchcouk.com/

in my experience burlington arcade is lovely for a browse but prices are truly shocking. the vintage rolex shop wants well over £2k for a vintage air king, while the vintage omega shop at the other end of the arcade was charging at least £4k for SM300s.

austin kaye is much more reasonable and has a decent selection, and as the previous poster said, mr kaye is a gent.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68

...........and also shockingly expensive. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68

...........and also shockingly expensive. :wink:
    i havent really browsed through their catalogue so apologies if so! the watchmaker there did a good job servicing a vintage rolex for me though.

To me the whole point of touring the London vintage watch shops is to see watches in the 'metal'.

I have been able to see (and try) watches that I have only ever seen in pictures and have also seen watches that I had never heard of before.

As most of you will know some watches look far better than they show in pics whilst others are a let down.

It is also very interesting to see the variations in the conditions of the watches on offer from the various dealers.

If you choose the right day you can see many, many watches in a short space of time - probably only at a watch fair would you see more.

Window shopping can be a very useful excercise and at the prices most watches are being offered at it is not too difficult to keep your hands in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe
    Sorry Steptoe but I have to disagree with you on this.........I ended up down Portobello Road today as we had a friend over from Cyprus who had never been there. Whilst my wife and friend looked at jewellery I did the watch tour.

Half an hour later I was the proud owner of a really nice and very original 1969 Omega Seamaster 200 (AKA Banana dial) complete with box. Another half an hour I could have been the owner of an early 1970s Omega Seamaster 120!!!!! As my wife had willingly offered her credit card up for my first purchase I thought it better not to push it.

I have never actually bought from Portobello before but visit quite regularly - must have been my lucky day.