closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three Amigos - Rolex Milgauss content....

Master

Three Amigos - Rolex Milgauss content....

Rather than Amigos perhaps it should be Brothers. The WIS sickness is alive and well in my world...

I didn't particularly like the Milguass when it was first launched. I started to warm to them when I tried one on at David Duggan's in the early days, and then a year later I picked up a BNIB GV - and bonded. IMO a watch that is both sporty and formal in a 21st century (i.e. relaxed formal) kind of way. The lack of cyclops and no date to muck up symmetry is nice. The second hand isn't really that noticeable, and is something a bit diferent. the green crystal is nice too.

Next came a white one - I thought I would flip this, but it quickly became a favourite. The white is almost ceramic/china like, and the orange is a great contrast.

...and then this week came a black dial one. I really like the clear dial, and the orange highlights add some character to the matt finish.

So here we go......... (not the greatest of pics, rushed and not great light):

Blog Entries

Re: Three Amigos - Rolex Milgauss content....

Very nice trio, at least you're not 'SUBmerged' into other models :mrgreen:
    Cheers Peter

When you handle a modern Milgauss it feels like what I thought a Rolex would be like before I had ever tried one on.
    It has real weight and prescence and really nice details like the easy link, engraved back and oversized twinlock crown.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Cheers Peter
    very nice collection.

Master

Lovely trio Alun..... :thumbleft:

One for every occasion I'll wager. :)

Cheers David

Jeez, and I thought I had a problem buying golf each model of golf shoes I had in black, brown and white :mrgreen:

Great collection, the green is my favourite. My mate has one and I've tried it on before and its a real beauty

Master

Very nice and great close up shots. The milgauss is my personal favourite in the current Rolex line-up.

Journeyman

All 3 - you couldn't make up your mind then? How much wear does each of them get?

I wasn't overly keen on the Milgauss when it was reissued but I've started to warm to them over the last year or so. I most like the black dial version, partly because of the luminous markers all being the same colour, and I love the 'half-second' marks: I think the Turnograph is now the only other watch in the line-up to feature these. They used to be common on Datejusts (1970s/80s?) and they add a bit of a retro feel and also a touch of 'precision', which I think is appropriate on what is (or originally was) intended to be an engineer's/scientist's watch. Even better would be the 1/5 second marks as on the 1019. Bring them back, Rolex!

Do you think the watch would look ok with the centre links brush-finished? If I did go for one, this is one thing I would consider having done.

The Bat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    When you handle a modern Milgauss it feels like what I thought a Rolex would be like before I had ever tried one on.
    Unfortunately, very few get to handle a vintage one and feel what a modern Milgauss is missing. 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bat
    Even better would be the 1/5 second marks as on the [s:1glkd4j5]1019[/s:1glkd4j5] few early 1019s that still have their original dial.
    Fixed that for you. :wink:

Three MG's, you weirdo! :lol: :wink:

I had the chance to try a friends and they really appeal to me. The second hand is a great touch.

White dial is my favourite. :)

Nice trio.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I assume there are no other colour combos left to try? :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    Blog Entries

Very nice photos. IMO I think the Milgauss GV is still one of the best watches Rolex makes and I don't see them on other wrists all that often. Definitely my choice over the new Sub.

Very nice. The green crystal version is on my grail list, but has always been out of reach price-wise for a single watch purchase. Surely Rolex make a blingtastic diamond version for you to add to the collection? :D

Master

Thanks for the nice comments guys :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Cheers Peter
    My Sub ND went towards the GV, and the Sub Date went to fund the white one, but at least I have an SD (my favourite Rolex diver) to make up for the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by secondhand
    Lovely trio Alun..... :thumbleft:
    One for every occasion I'll wager. :)
    Cheers David - Don't get to attend many occasions - however, the new job (finally clinched it!) starts in 10 days time - although I may find a GMT more useful for that...... or perhaps I put one Milgauss on BST, one on Riyadh/Manama and the other on UAE time :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by The Bat
    All 3 - you couldn't make up your mind then? How much wear does each of them get?
    ....I love the 'half-second' marks.....
    Do you think the watch would look ok with the centre links brush-finished? If I did go for one, this is one thing I would consider having done.
    Made up my mind on each occasion - no problem.

Re wearing time, the GV and white are about equal, and I've only just got the black, but that I think will be similar to each. TBH Having both GV and black is a complete indulgence, to a non-WIS they are the same, but the green glass does change the look quite a bit, plus the lack of numbers on the black make it a bit cleaner to look at.

I hadn't noticed the half second markers - a nice little feature (not that it's really of any use).

Re brushing the centre links, I wouldn't recommend it. The reason this is OK (if you want to do it) on a GMT is that the lugs on the GMT are brushed. The lugs on the Milgauss are polished (ala Yacht-Master and DJ and having an all brushed bracelet would look wrong IMO - there are no brushed surfaces on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Three MG's, you weirdo! :lol: :wink:
    Perceptive :lol:

Craftsman

I'm more of an Ingenieur person myself but I like the looks of the Milgauss. They are probably the most appealing Rolex to me.

One thing I don't get is the green crystal version. What is the point? Was there a "real" reason for that model (like the crystal has some metal in it to further reduce the effects of magnetism or such)? In all the pics I've seen, it takes away from contrast and legibility and gives dirty overall feel to the dial.

Blog Entries

FFS :lol: all three of them!

A very nice trio I'd say.
    I'm glad to own one Milgauss, but three might come in handy when one has to go for service :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

hmmmm....

I love the GV...the green around the edge gives some contrast against the dial, almost like a bezel.

I would not be suprised if they brought out a bi-colour version with yellow gold.
    I would say the Milgauss is a real "gentlemans" watch.... 8)

but too "scratchtastic" in the outside world... :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    FFS :lol: all three of them!
    So that makes three trios of variations on a theme among recent posts.
    Jepser´s 3646 Italians, these three and my set of 9F61 GS´s .
    Any more?

Journeyman

Wow, an expensive obsession. Although I think I would if I could afford it.

Master

Nice trio, I think the Milgauss will be my next Rolex 8)

Thats just greedy :)

Still may chop in my Seahawk II to get one of these.. they are still on my wanted list... but torn now.. black or white face.. both which I seem to prefer over the GV !

Very nice set !

Cheers

Matt

Master

Stunning trio - I have a green crystal version - but the other two are just as stunning. 8)

Master

Very nice. I have a growing attraction for the plain black one. I have read on the net that Rolex might discontinue this model as it hasn't been that popular. Is this typical WIS wishful thinking hype to get everyone jumping on one? I don't recall it ever being mentioned on here.

Journeyman

Nice trio, beautifull pics and consistent choice!
    Congrats!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM
    I'm more of an Ingenieur person myself but I like the looks of the Milgauss. They are probably the most appealing Rolex to me.

One thing I don't get is the green crystal version. What is the point? Was there a "real" reason for that model (like the crystal has some metal in it to further reduce the effects of magnetism or such)? In all the pics I've seen, it takes away from contrast and legibility and gives dirty overall feel to the dial.
    :bounce:

Anyone who can explain the history of the green crystal to me? Or is it just for looks?

Master

:bounce:

Anyone who can explain the history of the green crystal to me? Or is it just for looks?
    I think it's just for looks, also it's the only modern crystal without the laser etched coronet.

The Milgauss are getting more popular

The milgauss is the only rolex I like, nay love, and it's on my wish list for sure..

Maybe next year.

T

Craftsman

Lovely trio. I think if I ever entered the world of Rolex it would have to be with one of these.

Fantastic trio.

Nice collecting :D

Nice trio - thanks for posting.

Nice collection! Now you just need another arm. Must be tough to decide which one to wear!

Why have I got the feeling that I'll have to pop into an AD to have a closer look at one of these. The design is really growing on me. I'd go for the black.....no the white....hang on the green crystal looks good too. I can see why getting all three makes sense :)

F.

I think they're lovely but am always put off by the second hand. :|

The white one will be a classic... you heard it here :wink: !