closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex servicing - Bexley or an independant?

Rolex servicing - Bexley or an independant?

Guys,
    What's you views on servicing?
    What are the price differences between Rolex UK and good independants?
    Are there any Rolex authorised indys that can get/use genuine Rolex parts etc.
    Is the quality and level of customer service any different?

Chris

Craftsman

Re: Rolex servicing - Bexley or an independant?

The Watch Lab (http://thewatchlab.co.uk/) quoted me roughly TWICE what Rolex have provisionally quoted me for a Tudor service - can't comment on quality of service for either yet.

Andrew

Bexley every time (worth the wait IMO)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

Disagree with Chris on this one; I dealt with an independent Rolex approved repairer who has access to Rolex parts and works to the same standards (William Rice, based in Beverley). I`ve seen the case refurbishment work that he's done too and it's excellent. My watch was an 80s Datejust in mint condition which needed a movement service only. Charged me well under £200 and took 3 weeks. Big advantage for me was dealing face to face, I much prefer doing this.

To get Rolex accreditation and keep it requires a lot of committment; it isn`t earned easily and those who have it are capable of working to the highest standard.

As I see it, the only advantage with returning a watch to Bexley is the guarantee certificate it returns with. This is particularly helpful when the watch hasn`t got it's original papers, a bit like giving it a pedigree :)

Possibly, there may be an advantage with something rare and highly collectible (vintage Subs)....but I`m not sure about this. If you deal face to face with the guy who does the work there's more chance that your requests (ie 'don`t reaplace the dial or hands') will be followed.

Paul

I went down the Bexley route, you just can't cut corners with a Rolex. A Bexley service will ad value to a watch as they will not service a remake or a fake.

In a word Bexley

Tom

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MackThePen
    The Watch Lab (http://thewatchlab.co.uk/) quoted me roughly TWICE what Rolex have provisionally quoted me for a Tudor service - can't comment on quality of service for either yet.

Andrew
    I had a very bad experience with the watch lab, and personally won't ever use them again.

They fitted a new dial to an Omega, and put a scratch on it. Their case restoration looked like they'd given it a quick wipe with a cape cod cloth. Small scratches and dings were still visible, but the brushed finish was diminished.

They insisted that they service the movement at the same time, which was running fine. After the service it would only run a few hours, fully wound, before stopping. I took it back twice, and each time they kept it for 3 to 4 weeks and said it was working fine, although they didn't know if the workshop had actually done anything to it.

Before the service I was promised that they had the best available facilities and staff, and the watch would come back like new, but once they had my money, they didn't care at all. The conversations were like those you see with the cowboys on Watchdog. After 5 or 6 months, and several hundred pounds, I cut my losses. :x

The problem is that when the watch gets to about 30 years old, Rolex won't service it. Wife's Airking was sent to them as it was running like a bucket. They sent it back to the AD with a ...watch is old, buy a new one!!!!!!

Ended up I had to go to an independent watch repairer.

There have been a couple of older Subs I've been tempted by but they were over 20 years old and given the Airking experience, I passed on them.

Ultimately, I agree that Rolex can't keep spares for every watch for ever and buying vintage or keeping an "heirloom" has a price you pay.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
    The problem is that when the watch gets to about 30 years old, Rolex won't service it. Wife's Airking was sent to them as it was running like a bucket. They sent it back to the AD with a ...watch is old, buy a new one!!!!!!

Ended up I had to go to an independent watch repairer.

There have been a couple of older Subs I've been tempted by but they were over 20 years old and given the Airking experience, I passed on them.

Ultimately, I agree that Rolex can't keep spares for every watch for ever and buying vintage or keeping an "heirloom" has a price you pay.

Pete
    My sub is from 1973 and was serviced with no issues at all, bexley did a fantastic job but it wasnt cheap. Dont know why you got that response, makes no sense at all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

if its just a service, go independent but if its for a resale go bexley.

cheers
    mike

Journeyman

I looked into bexley got quoted around £330 by my local berry's and £350ish by goldsmiths :roll: or £325ish for the accredited man to do it for me for full service and case re finished and all and the cash is by no means a problem when you buy a rolex you understand that if it costs £330 to run it for 5 years thats fair enough but what did get me was the 14 week wait :shock: I can't bear to have the watch of my wrist for that sort of time and so am going to the aforementioned William Rice in Beverly tomorrow to drop my watch in for its service. £170 for the service with out the case over-haul (had one in the past six months) but would have been £230 for the case overhaul and a 2-4 week wait sounds good to me and i will let you know how i get on with them but i am expecting good things after all they are rolex accredited.

George

If you can take the wait then Bexley every single time.

If you can't then there are some good indys.

Bexley every time the service papers are worth the difference alone never mind the full service - there is very little in it pricewise - around £250 for quality independent and £295 for my last trip to Rolex.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by groach1234
    I looked into bexley got quoted around £330 by my local berry's and £350ish by goldsmiths :roll: or £325ish for the accredited man to do it for me for full service and case re finished and all and the cash is by no means a problem when you buy a rolex you understand that if it costs £330 to run it for 5 years thats fair enough but what did get me was the 14 week wait :shock: I can't bear to have the watch of my wrist for that sort of time and so am going to the aforementioned William Rice in Beverly tomorrow to drop my watch in for its service. £170 for the service with out the case over-haul (had one in the past six months) but would have been £230 for the case overhaul and a 2-4 week wait sounds good to me and i will let you know how i get on with them but i am expecting good things after all they are rolex accredited.

George
    I was impressed by him...and I`m a fussy bugger

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    ...and I`m a fussy bugger
    Agreed :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Cheers guys.
    Would be interested to hear a bit more about William Rice - feel free to PM me.
    Popped in to WOS lunchtime and they're currently quoting 16 weeks due to the service centre re-location.
    Not sure I want to wait 4 months!!
    Thanks again.

Journeyman

PM inbound.

George

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Bexley every time (worth the wait IMO)
    + 1

The wait is frustrating but the results are amazing.

They are also accomodating with your requests.

I think if you haven't got the papers for a vintage then Bexley is the only way. I also don't think you can make assumptions about which vintage ones they will take in; they took my 1961 Precision but they have rejected more recent vintage models from others on here. Now if only they would take in my bracelet; if you think Bexley is slow you should try sending something to Michael Young in Hong Kong though to be fair, I was fore-warned by Jed.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.