closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much?!

How much?!

First off, this is a joke thread. We are all walking around with watches worth hundreds or thousands of pounds when a 10 quid Casio is (probably) more accurate and more robust. Anyway, please name your 'how much' moments when you come to watches or more likely accessories for these watches.

I thought IWC had set the bar when I walked into their service centre in Singapore (to have my Mark 15 serviced) and gently enquired about the cost of a metal bracelet for the 15. A cool one thousand pounds. Not surprisingly it is still on a leather strap!

However, this Saturday Patek saw IWC and re-raised. Having just bought a Calatrava 6000G which comes on a deployant clasp, I asked how much a pin buckle would be as I prefer that style for comfort.

The answer: a cool 1500 Singapore Dollars. That is north of 700 quid for a buckle! I'll stick with the deployant I think...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: How much?!

:shock: stick them both on a nato :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pam243
    :blackeye:
    Looks like someone is eager to get into Sales Corner. Youve spammed alot of threads with your smilies, something to sell hmmm?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Skool
    Looks like someone is eager to get into Sales Corner. Youve spammed alot of threads with your smilies, something to sell hmmm?
    How perspective... good catch.

It would appear a strategy is in the works... an intro may be in order I would assume soon....

:idea:

Quote Originally Posted by chrono24seven
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool
    How perspective... good catch.

It would appear a strategy is in the works... an intro may be in order I would assume soon....
    No point in commenting, as he is gone by now ... we'll catch him in the SC. :twisted:

john
    Every watch a story.

Sad that companies find it neccessary to do this. But £700 plus for a buckle is OTT. Mind so is £1k for a SS bracelet But at least their watch prices reflect this diference to a large extent. :(

Blog Entries

No way, even if they are beautifully crafted, a stainless steel bracelet is worth over a 1000,-GBP!

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It's to keep out the riff-raff doncha know :wink:

I quite fancied a DLC'd PAM, and was fairly familer with the cost of the historic models, so a, 'how much!?' moment was definitely in order when scanning blowers for a DLC'd model.

My wife still reminds me that I spent the heady sum of 400 British Pounds on my last watch. She's convinced the watch counter at Tesco is good enough. :(

As much as I'd love a nice, shiny new Breitling or Omega, I could never bring myself to spend more than £500 on a watch.

Leather straps cost £400 or so for some Rolexes. Go straight to the source, Camille Fournet, who make them for Jaeger, etc. (I think) and the same strap might cost you £130 (which is still very expensive). But it doesn't have the watch manufacturer's stamp on the back.

None myself, as i also acomodate the value-end of the watch-buying spectrum.

However my uncle a few years ago decided to get his mid-60s oyster pereptual fixed- the crown had snapped. Now bear in mind he bought the watch from new some 40 years previously and had never bought another watch since...the look on his face when Selfridges told him what the cost could be.... :bom:

Journeyman

When I got my first big purchase I enquired about the cost of a rubber strap for my Planet Ocean to go with the bracelet that it came with, and when I was told the price I nearly fell off the chair that I was sat on. :lol:

There is a watch producer in the states who will remain nameless here who uses the same supplier as I, he charges in excess of $750 for a bracelet that i sell for €75,

As much as I love some of the IWCs I don't think I could ever spend more on a bracelet than I would for an actual watch. Seems some companies are making some very easy profit on straps and bracelets. As has already been pointed out, kind of seems like a rip off when they are only buying from another source and selling them on. On the flip side I guess this is the case for many many consumer products.

Master
    Blog Entries

My divorce settlement a few years ago. How fcuking much :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:

£1k would be cheap for a bracelet for some watches - Rolex are approaching that!

Surely the £700 includes the strap - looking at Patek prices. The one that gets me is the price difference between the Jumbo's on leather strap or steel bracelet - which means you get to take off the price of the leather strap and work out how much you are paying for the bracelet which must be well over £2k!
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    £1k would be cheap for a bracelet for some watches - Rolex are approaching that!

Surely the £700 includes the strap - looking at Patek prices. The one that gets me is the price difference between the Jumbo's on leather strap or steel bracelet - which means you get to take off the price of the leather strap and work out how much you are paying for the bracelet which must be well over £2k!
    Tell my grandma about it she needs to replace the strap on her gold date just :shock: think they want more than she paid for the watch but if she doesn't have it done its not insured :roll:

Also i dropped my watch in with William (bill) Rice and he seems a very nice and genuine guy but goes on holiday on the 14th of july and has promised me it will be done by then at latest 8)

George

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    My divorce settlement a few years ago. How fcuking much :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:
    Why does divorce cost so much?

Because it's worth it!

When the engine in my 911 went pop, and Porsche Bristol quoted me £18k..that was a real how f**king much moment I can tell you :cry:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    When the engine in my 911 went pop, and Porsche Bristol quoted me £18k..that was a real how f**king much moment I can tell you :cry:
    :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Taz666
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    :shock:
    Exactly, although I did manage to get some of the labour costs reduced so it came in at a shade over £15k :drunken:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60486&st=0&sk=t&sd=a