closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are there certain stages in regards to this hobby?

Grand Master

Are there certain stages in regards to this hobby?

I've started to think about how things have changed for me with this hobby, at the start i would buy anything that caught my eye, if it had one thing that made me like it then i'd more than likely get it, then of course flip it a short while later. Now i find myself looking at watches and basically trying to find something that i won't like, just to discount it from the list, i am currently saving up for the next watch, but have not got the faintest idea what to get because i have actually discounted every single watch i was after :lol:

So is this the final stage before going for a 'break', 3 months ago i had a list of watches that i was looking at getting this year, but now i have a list of zero and wondering if there's anything out there, the list i had was:

IWC 3227 - Lovely Genta designed IWC, then i saw the thickness and it's off the list.
    JLC Amvox - A real beauty, and again i saw the thickness and it's off the list.
    Rolex GMT - Something i've always liked, had two of them but after trying one on it didn't do it for me this time.
    Panerai 338 - Tried it on, looks very nice but the size was just off and the case too square.
    Omega AT - the 8500 movement inside, nice style but the shiny bezel ring and the stuck on dial markers put me off.

So have i just jumped a complete stage, i can't even be bothered looking at buying any of the above, because i'm thinking in the back of my head i'd just get unhappy with it and then flip it, my god this isn't right, flipping is part and parcel of this hobby :lol:

Blog Entries

Re: Are there certain stages in regards to this hobby?

All part of growing up :D
    I started out the same as you did, buying all over the place. But now I've got five watches I really like.
    So the next must be a real well thought-through buy, and my list is very short........... :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I started out the same as you did, buying all over the place. But now I've got five watches I really like.
    So the next must be a real well thought-through buy, and my list is very short........... :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Yeah, although my list is non existent :lol:

The other thing that i've noticed as well, i just don't have any real heart in selling either, i keep putting the AP up for trade, but when i get offers i go into panic mode :(

If that's true then I need someone to buy 15 watches from me.

Last month I decided to stop. Then I bought a Buler jump hour from the Bay and rousey's Stowa. It is true though that fewer watches attract me these days and I would like to rationalise down to buy a better one.

Hi guys. Daddel, what are your five current watches and reasons for buying them? I suffer from being unable to decide on the next watch to buy, always having the fear of discovering something I don't quite like about the piece after I've made the purchase.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

Cheers,

Daddel.

The other thing that i've noticed as well, i just don't have any real heart in selling either, i keep putting the AP up for trade, but when i get offers i go into panic mode :(
    If a watch, worn in rotation, still gives you a smile on your face when putting it on after a month or so, you'll know it's still a keeper. For me it's still like putting on a new watch.
    This sunday I'm going to switch from Milgauss to my Wempe Flieger, can't wait :) .
    If your AP still gives you that feeling, keep it.

Cheers,

Daddel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haarlem Chris
    Hi guys. Daddel, what are your five current watches and reasons for buying them? I suffer from being unable to decide on the next watch to buy, always having the fear of discovering something I don't quite like about the piece after I've made the purchase.
    Actually there are six, but one is sitting in my box, and nobody wants to buy or trade the beauty from/with me :cry:

One watch I'm still waiting for, the project Kingston I could take over from Dave, two are limited editions, Sinn U1 White and Wempe flieger, then there's the MM300 and a black faced Milgauss.
    The Ebel E-type chrono is the safe-queen :)

Cheers,

Daddel.

Journeyman

Send the fund my way and i will put it to good use :lol: :lol: :lol:

There will be something that comes along you have to have save up for something uber special there must be something :!: :?:

George

Thanks Daddel, nice variety there I must say

Panerai 338 - Tried it on, looks very nice but the size was just off and the case too square.
    Are these available yet or just the prototype?

Master

Totally agree with you about the stages, mine are as follows:-

Omega 2254 - my first good watch, bought as they WERE great value, and an overall quality item
    Omega 2599 - the 2254 isn't 'chunky' enough so decide to buy the beefed up Bond Chrono
    Omega PO 45 on rubber - Starting to get 'oversized watch fever' now and all Big watches look best on a strap
    Breitling Blackbird (original) - One of only 2 Blings I've ever liked, get the watch and find it is impossibly small on the wrist, DOH
    Omega 2254 - Get my original watch back and also add a Bond Co-Ax into the mix (now I have 2 watches that are essentially the same !) How much is this damn obsession costing me !!!
    Breitling Chrono Avenger - Swap both Omegas for one used CA (big watch fever strikes again) and I heap more dosh into the mix by buying strap after strap after strap etc. etc. etc.....
    Omega 2201 PO42 - 'Classic watch on a bracelet' fever strikes now and another PO is aquired - Being Co-Axial, this watch then decides to go doolally and after service it makes way for.....
    Omega SMP 2531 - Classic 1120 cal. SMP - the watch that kick-started my Omega habit 6 years ago. Aquired off The Bay and after a little TLC runs +1s per day.....

And here we are. This hobby to me is a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', meaning if you have limited funds and can only afford one watch at a time, you suffer from flipperitus. If you have the wealth of the Duke of Westminster, you end up buying a squillion watches and then can't decide which one to wear.

While wonderful sites like TZ exist, there will be no end to the confusion for both the prince and the pauper !

Master

I'm in the trying to downsize my collection but every time I sell one I buy another two stage :lol: :lol:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    Are these available yet or just the prototype?

Not available yet, September is the date the ADs have for stock starting to turn up.

I must say that I am impressed with the folks who are able to refine their collections. I try to be choosy and follow a self imposed set of selection criteria. Trouble is that the criteria seem to change ( maybe that is something to do with having a beer and then visiting sites like this!) or I find a good reason to ..er; adjust the rules.

Result, I have a variety of styles and qualities. Still, I seem to like them all and all for different reasons. You know the drill... "that has a cal89 movement in it","they don't make like that any more","it's the only dress/gold/blingtastic watch I own".

Pack Rat. Moi? Guess so.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers

Omega 2254 - my first good watch, bought as they WERE great value, and an overall quality item
    Omega 2599 - the 2254 isn't 'chunky' enough so decide to buy the beefed up Bond Chrono
    Omega PO 45 on rubber - Starting to get 'oversized watch fever' now and all Big watches look best on a strap
    Breitling Blackbird (original) - One of only 2 Blings I've ever liked, get the watch and find it is impossibly small on the wrist, DOH
    Omega 2254 - Get my original watch back and also add a Bond Co-Ax into the mix (now I have 2 watches that are essentially the same !) How much is this damn obsession costing me !!!
    Breitling Chrono Avenger - Swap both Omegas for one used CA (big watch fever strikes again) and I heap more dosh into the mix by buying strap after strap after strap etc. etc. etc.....
    Omega 2201 PO42 - 'Classic watch on a bracelet' fever strikes now and another PO is aquired - Being Co-Axial, this watch then decides to go doolally and after service it makes way for.....
    Omega SMP 2531 - Classic 1120 cal. SMP - the watch that kick-started my Omega habit 6 years ago. Aquired off The Bay and after a little TLC runs +1s per day.....

And here we are. This hobby to me is a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', meaning if you have limited funds and can only afford one watch at a time, you suffer from flipperitus. If you have the wealth of the Duke of Westminster, you end up buying a squillion watches and then can't decide which one to wear.

While wonderful sites like TZ exist, there will be no end to the confusion for both the prince and the pauper !

It's interesting you mention the SMP, i just bought one last month and it is actually something that i can't find fault with, i haven't worn the AP since getting the SMP as well :D

It's my second or third SMP as well, last one i had was in 2005, then went on a bit of a rampage through the watches and now have a 2231 which really does tick all the boxes, just wish i could find something else that does that.

Grand Master

Cheers,

Daddel.

If a watch, worn in rotation, still gives you a smile on your face when putting it on after a month or so, you'll know it's still a keeper. For me it's still like putting on a new watch.
    This sunday I'm going to switch from Milgauss to my Wempe Flieger, can't wait :) .
    If your AP still gives you that feeling, keep it.

Cheers,

Daddel.

Oh i still love the AP, hence why i'm only looking at a trade on an all but identically put together AP, but i just can't seem to get into the selling mood just now, i must have been offered 30 or so trades against it, some really nice watches but this whole looking for a weakness thing stops me going any further. Anyway, it might be that i'm just in a bit of a rut, this time next year i might be going mental with the watches again :lol:

Blog Entries

this time next year i might be going mental with the watches again

Oh, that's allright then :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers

It's interesting you mention the SMP, i just bought one last month and it is actually something that i can't find fault with, i haven't worn the AP since getting the SMP as well :D

It's my second or third SMP as well, last one i had was in 2005, then went on a bit of a rampage through the watches and now have a 2231 which really does tick all the boxes, just wish i could find something else that does that.
    Yes, you can probably spot the recurring Omega theme through my post, great watch the SMP, better than the PO IMO (I've had 2 PO's, so I should know). The hardest thing to swallow is the fact that if I'd had a Rolex Sub/Exp II/GMT anywhere along the way, that's the watch I'd probably(!) still have today and the money I've thrown away swapping/flipping could have been frittered away on some other meaningless condumer item such as AV gear or the like.

I think the moral should be, find the one watch that you admire the most and if it's too expensive, save and save until that 'grail' watch becomes a reality.

Well in the 15 years I've been into it......

I've now given up on "what I want next".

Around 2005 it was crazy. I was shelling out way more than I earned, just to always have the "in" thing.
    Luckily I didn't start taking pictures of watches until recent. ;-)

It all got to a point where I was asking myself... Was I buying because I liked it, or because I thought other people would be impressed by it.
    Well I've learned 99% of the people who are impressed by you because of your watch, aint worth talking to.

These days I don't give a rats ass. I buy and wear what i like.
    Bang Tidy.

I only buy a watch if I have the cash sloshing around; it seems sods law always prevails, when I come across a watch I realy like or want I haven’t got the money, seems to limit things quiet nicely :(

I am now down to two watches and they are both Breitlings, a B2 on bracelet and calf and a Superocean Steelfish on a bracelet and Croc. The Irony is i had the same models before and sold them only to miss them and after a lot of other brands buy the same two Breitlings all over again. Am i going mad :lol: I guess i 'm a Ling!! man at heart

I was wondering what watch you were currently wearing and I honestly believe I'd be happy with a 2254, 2531, SD /sub / gmt or explorer - we are for the most part spoilt and the over exposure a site like this give you is incredible - I've bought so many watches since joining here it's incredible!

I still want to get down to 10 or less and 5 or less would be amazing - maybe one day - but they are few watches that appeal - ti SMP is an amazing watch and feels like nothing else on the wrist.

Going back to the original post - I think there are many levels / stages and a lot depends on disposable cash and opportunity when something you think you like comes along to try.

I've tried most brands now and I think I know what I like - psychologically I think it's true that the brands you held dear in youth stay with you and I still find myself drawn to the two biggest names - the marketing and exposure has no doubt worked and I am sure I could have had a spare house if I'd diverted money to a different cause all those years ago ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

I've got the AP ROC and the Ti SMP just now, to be honest i mainly wear the Ti SMP and leave the AP for special occasions. I guess i do feel guilty not wearing the AP that much, it's a lot of watch to be sat in the cupboard, but the Ti SMP does exactly what i need just now, it's a watch i don't worry about hitting off a door and fits the wrist perfectly, plus i love the dial and the sword hands.

Master

Im similar. I've had sooooo many watches in the last couple of years, since joining here, there's really virtually nothing left I actually want enough to bother buying. Its sad. Very, very sad.

Grand Master

To be fair Cliff i've not had nearly as many as you :lol:

Master

Sales Corner, oh how I love thee! Letting me try beautiful watches I have never heard of, enjoy them for a while and then offload them without losing money. Splendid. :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Sales Corner, oh how I love thee! Letting me try beautiful watches I have never heard of, enjoy them for a while and then offload them without losing money. Splendid. :D

Watches of Switzerland have a smaller turnover of watches than you these days :D

Hobby? A lifestyle actually!!

Grand Master

I need a better job to have it as a lifestyle, I do have some watches I'd love to get but they're all expensive, such as the iwc 1832 and the vc 222, I might get a lottery ticket!

I only buy a watch which will give me pleasure - and one I can't afford will just cause me worry.

I started all of this about 3 years ago.
    My son bought a fake GMT II. I borrowed it a couple of times and then started to look in the local Ernest Jones window at the sports models. I had seen pics of the Sub LV and had chatted about it with my wife. One day she was going past the AD and there was one in the window. I went for a look and loved it but it had a slight scratch. I was then on a hunt for a perfect one and so I visited lots of ADs.
    Eventually bought one and then started to research other models.
    4 months later I picked up one of the last UK GMT II black/burgundy models. Then there was no stopping me as I needed to keep on searching!!
    Next was a TT blue Sub followed by an SD. I really liked the GMT II Pepsi and so I found a mint example.
    Seemed a shame to only have 2/3 of the GMT II SS models and so I bagged a mint black/black.
    Crikey, I needed to slow down but the thirst was still there.
    I needed a pinacle model and the watch I had looked at many times in awe was the DSSD.
    One arrived and my Rolex collection is now complete.
    Nothing else floats my boat from Rolex at the moment and there is no way that I want buyers remorse.
    So the CWC G10 quartz collection is a refreshing diversion, I look for variation in my collection, no 2 watches are the same and it does not seem to matter if there are a few marks on the case.
    Where will it all go from here???

Peter

Craftsman

For me it's not really stages. It's manageable since I plan buying carefully and do not make impulse purchases (the buy may be impulsive but the decision of getting that or that kind of watch has been done long before). I tend to like the watches I have more and more over time and don't feel any need to flip any of them :)

Master

I tend to go for quantity rather than quality :lol: :lol: I hang around eBay looking at watches that go for the £20 mark as I am skint. Blurry pics and unknown makes are my thing. Then if I see something I like I put a low bid in and hope I get it for next to nothing. For example this little 1930's Chronometre was a tenner.......

and on arrival is really nice with the ETA 717 movt keeping good time.

Won this weird looking thing today.....

cheap pallet pin diver from the 1970's but the colour scheme looked interesting and who knows what it will be like when it comes?? Sometimes they are crap when they come but I don't mind as its all part of the game.

I have a sub for my daily wear and the rest are for when I fancy a change. Am not particularly bothered by how accurate they are as I mostly only wear them for a day or even a few hours. I have about 80 watches, with perhaps only 10 in a regular rotation that would pass muster from the "WIS inspectorate for decent watches".

God knows what would happen if I had any money :confused2:

regards

tim

Its a thought provoking post.

I have gone through many stages!

Started off by just "liking" watches. No particular brand. Bought what I could afford then, I wasnt in the Rolex type price bracket. Had a quartz Zenith as a birthday present.

Then developed into a "brand" snob. TAG at that time was the "in" thing - had one from the lovely (and long suffering now) wife as a wedding gift. Its a obviously a keeper. Hankered after Subs and Omegas.

After a while I got to grips with what the internet had to offer. I lurked for a long time on sites like this (back in the days when you didnt need a certain number of posts to view sales corner!). Got into a position to purchase a watch of choice. After considerable deliberation it was a Brietling Navitimer. Wanted a chrono, and it fitted what I saw as an aspirational watch. Still love it :) , and the next major purchase was an IWC ingenieur. A hunk of a watch.

However, I began to understand what made some watches more expensive than others apart from just the case material. Things like in house movements, COSC quality movements and so on. Different functionality also got my attention. Developed into the next stage of "movement snobbery". JLC became the object of desire, and at various times I have almost pulled the trigger on an ultra thin, a grande date reverso and a GMT reverso. Not sure why but never quite got there. Instead, I have bought things of,to me, interest, that arent particularly expensive, - for example a Stowa MO (the back is as attractive as the front!) poljot mechanical alarm (sounds like an angry wasp), a couple of modded seiko's (a 5 and a SKX007) and a solar powered radio controlled G-Shock. I feel like I need to own a BHI tourbillion, and a watch with a colour face and matching stitching on the strap (gutted I was too slow on WorkSimon's PRS3!).

The current focus is on what to buy for a big birthday this year. I have a decent budget but I am lacking a grail. Maybe a sub, a panerai or a FM. Or maybe not. The new Tudor Heritage Chrono is a must have.

I suspect that the next stage maybe some focus on a particular type of watch - vintage 1930's tank style cases, millitary whatever. Who knows.

I also seem to have a mutant gene of the flipperitus disease - plenty incoming over the years but I havent sold one.

Whatever, I am enjoying myself! :D

The

Master

Im going through a certain stage with my watches at the moment!
    My plan is to have the following;
    DSSD
    Rolex Explorer
    Omega Railmaster
    PRS17Q
    DA36
    Sinn U1.

Now the hard part, I will have to be strong and sell the rest of my collection but im not sure I can do it!
    I would like to think that I can survive with only 6 watches but im not sure.
    I would have to sell;
    PRS14
    PRS20 Italian
    PRS3 LE orange
    PRS53
    Sinn 556
    Lum-Tec M17.
    Very hard decision as I love them all, and I mean I LOVE them but I feel I have too many.