timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Price Increases

Master

Re: Rolex Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

Seiko manufactures many millions of watches each year, all with the Seiko label on the dial regardless of price... With this strategy they will never ever appeal to the principal buyers of luxury watches.
    Seiko did in fact buy the Swiss firm Jean Lassale in the '80's with the idea of using the name to go upmarket. Watches with the name were produced but nothing really came of it IIRC.

Guess they should have hired Jean-Claude Biver! ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Seiko manufactures many millions of watches each year, all with the Seiko label on the dial regardless of price... With this strategy they will never ever appeal to the principal buyers of luxury watches.
    True.
    They will never appeal to label drinkers. Those go for the brand image, thus Omepanro.
    To mé, personally, this is a unique selling point for the Grand Seiko brand, but for the manufacturer it is a power of no good.

They will need a different stategy then the present one depending on the quality of the product.
    Yes, Mr.Biber or someone of his caliber (pun intended) might be able to come up with something.
    They will need to do something as the are now between a rock and a hard place.

The Bibers of the watchworld are howver mighty occupied with the general.... tightness of the market. I received spam from Amazon today about a 35% discount on luxury watches and a quick look revealed Omega high end too.

On topic quite a few western prospects are caught in the inverse situation from Seiko; floating between quicksand and a rising cloud. For the average potential Rolex customer the income is at most not getting any higher and the prices do go up.

Craftsman

Nor to WIS'es, it appears. If they were sold under Jean Lassale or some such name, most here would still argue that they are "Just Seiko with a different name". Actually some of those principal buyers might fall for it but according to the recent poll here, even the people who should "know better" have issue with the manufacturer.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift
    Who are all these people who are prepared to spend £4000+ on a plain steel watch (asian market or otherwise)? Surely sales figures must be right down (especially in a recession). Surely there is some merit in a brand going against the tide and allowing themselves to be cheaper (and make the competition look overpriced) - Rolex would certainly have far fewer detractors. Offering really good watches for less is how Omega have clawed their way back over the last 10 years - a strategy now being abandoned.

Such a move would utterly destroy Rolex. They are an aspirational brand. People look in the window, see Omega and Tag at £1,500-£2,500 and Rolex starting at £3K and going swiftly upward and they deduce from that that the Rolex is clearly the best, the most desirable.

Look at Rolls Royce, £250K, is it really worth double the very top of the range Mercedes S Class? Of course not. But what do you think would happen to Rolls Royce's image if they were cheaper than top end Mercedes...?

Rolex use their price point to set them apart, it's precisely because what they would like to regard as "lower end" watches (Omega, Tag etc) were encroaching on their price point that they re-positioned themselves.

And hey, if they sell half as many watches for twice as much per watch, happy days! They get to bring in the same amount of cash for much less outlay in materials and labour. Not to mention make their watches even more exclusive still.

This isn't about selling as many watches as possible, this is about selling a (relatively) few watches for a lot of money. Different thing altogether.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Such a move would utterly destroy Rolex. They are an aspirational brand. People look in the window, see Omega and Tag at £1,500-£2,500 and Rolex starting at £3K and going swiftly upward and they deduce from that that the Rolex is clearly the best, the most desirable.
    It's not so much about that. It's more about the name. Most of the luxury watch brands prices start from the point where you could already have bought 80% of Rolex models and they are in the same window displays.

Certainly they'd at some point look a little to the left or right and notice those Breguets, Pateks, Vacherons, AP's, Chopards, UN's etc. and gape at wonder thinking how many Rolexes could be had at price of those. Why stop at that cheapish Rolex when you could aspire so much more? Oh, right. No one would know what that is

Banned
    Blog Entries

If anything, it's impressive how many highgrade watches they are able to produce, and still keep quality at the absolute peak. Very very rarely do you hear of a "lemon" straight from Rolex...
    Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125019&p=1298556#p1298464 page 2.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    If anything, it's impressive how many highgrade watches they are able to produce, and still keep quality at the absolute peak. Very very rarely do you hear of a "lemon" straight from Rolex...

Sounds more like user error to me. Automatics behave erratically if not worn enough. Also, that is one thread on one forum, and the first of its kind ive seen in yonks. I could link up all the threads of broken down Omegas, Sinns etc, but really cannot be bothered.

Rolex quality control is renowned, and has been for decades ;) Keep fighting your windmills, Don Quixotzilla

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ari

Look at Rolls Royce, £250K, is it really worth double the very top of the range Mercedes S Class? Of course not. But what do you think would happen to Rolls Royce's image if they were cheaper than top end Mercedes...?

Rolex use their price point to set them apart, it's precisely because what they would like to regard as "lower end" watches (Omega, Tag etc) were encroaching on their price point that they re-positioned themselves.

And hey, if they sell half as many watches for twice as much per watch, happy days! They get to bring in the same amount of cash for much less outlay in materials and labour. Not to mention make their watches even more exclusive still.

This isn't about selling as many watches as possible, this is about selling a (relatively) few watches for a lot of money. Different thing altogether.
    ´(relatively) few watches´ is euhm..... relative. They sell between 800.000 and 1.000.0000 watches annually. Which is only relatively few to relatively VERY few luxury brands. Seiko sells about 30.000 Grand Seikos per year and has a tárget of 1.000 for áll Spring Drive models. Thát is relative few :wink:
    Not bad if you can sell all you can produce for double the price :bounce:

Whatever Rolexes are ´worth´ they are appearantly worth that to the buyers; Rolex are doing :!: Thát is brand power.

Master

Sounds more like user error to me. Automatics behave erratically if not worn enough. Also, that is one thread on one forum, and the first of its kind ive seen in yonks. I could link up all the threads of broken down Omegas, Sinns etc, but really cannot be bothered.

Rolex quality control is renowned, and has been for decades ;) Keep fighting your windmills, Don Quixotzilla
    I must admit I have read about more issue with Omega than Rolex, but that doesn't say much I suppose. :?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Typical: freedom of expression only when expressed pro Rolex.
    In this case the more funny since I write nothing at all against Rolex :idea:
    That is illustrating a serious agresion problem. Why do you get so agresive concerning Rolex? Are you insecure about something??

If you feel you are overpaying then do not vent that in the form of name calling. That only shows poor manner.
    I am writing that you get a solid brand´s worth for your money :idea:
    If you think you should get more watch worth then you should have ducked for that windmill youself.

Whatever Rolex is or is not, the future looks solid. A brand new state of the art factory and a fresh growth market = lots of future for a streamlined production and annual price increases.
    Those increases will fill the room for that on the wold market irrespective of price moaners in the west, whatever the margins or wherever they go.

That is illustrating a serious agresion problem. Why do you get so agresive concerning Rolex? Are you insecure about something??

If you feel you are overpaying then do not vent that in the form of name calling. That only shows poor manner.
    If you think you should get more watch worth then you should have ducked for that windmill youself.

Whatever Rolex is or is not, the future looks solid. A brand new state of the art factory and a fresh growth market = lots of future for a streamlined production and annual price increases.
    Those increases will fill the room for that on the wold market irrespective of price moaners in the west, whatever the margins or wherever they go.
    I don't think it's anything about freedom of expression, it's just that you're usually (but not always) phenomenally boring. And, in some members, the frustration overflows. Furthermore, how is your freedom of expression being curtailed at all? No one is stopping you from posting - they're just not agreeing with it.

With respect to aggression, I personally believe there are few people here more aggressive than yourself; attacking others, shouting about Seiko from the highest rooftops and a complete lack of courtesy when dealing with other peoples' opinions. Indeed, although whilst I generally agree with the gist of your arguments, I think the manner in which you conduct yourself is frequently deplorable - some people probably feel the same.

Your opinions are valid, of that there is no doubt - but so are those of others. Why can't you just respect other people's opinions without having to shout them down all the time?

I see lots of sniping and downright animosity against hurtecilla expressed daily on this site, usually from ignorant and bigoted folk with no desire to learn from somebody evidently thoughtful and intelligent. It is part of a peurile and depressingly stupid faction of this community who have little love for watches but charge to the front to polish their egos whilst displaying the verbal diarrhoea that masks their mental constipation.

It spoils this site for those with a serious interest, which is why they soon leave.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    I see lots of sniping and downright animosity against hurtecilla expressed daily on this site, usually from ignorant and bigoted folk with no desire to learn from somebody evidently thoughtful and intelligent. It is part of a peurile and depressingly stupid faction of this community who have little love for watches but charge to the front to polish their egos whilst displaying the verbal diarrhoea that masks their mental constipation.

It spoils this site for those with a serious interest, which is why they soon leave.
    :shock: Once you have been around a while on this forum the drum he bangs sounds very old and very boring, if anything the comments against our Iberian friend are more out of tiredness than anything else IMHO.

I refer you to my previous comment.

I'm not sure how my post came across as "ignorant and bigoted" or demonstrated that I was "depressingly stupid". If you want to inform me how to improve, I'm willing to rectify it :).

On the other hand, "verbal diarrhoea" is something to which I'll confess :wink:

Master

You have complete freedom of expression, so expect your erroneus views and conclusions to be confronted. You are the most aggressive user to come on here in ages, deliberatly using expressions like "outdated technology" to describe the mechanical watches that the majority of users here are interested in. You seek nothing but confrontation and to lift your own twisted views of what a watch needs to be up as gospel, and force it on all of us. The latest idea that Hayek and Biver somehow created the entire worlds interest in Swiss mechanical watches is just laughable.

Dont try to put words in my mouth, and definitely dont talk about manners, since you dont know the meaning. I actually feel Rolex are extremely good value, compared to the competition in the same price bracket. I've made this view clear many times before. I dont think its possible to get more watch for the money than in a Rolex, especially second hand. The Sales Corner, eBay, craigslist, dealers, all agree with me, and has done for many many years....

To me, the problem alot of people seem to have with Rolex for no apparent reason is just as illogical as the unconditional love a few have of Seikos.

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM
    Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg
    I did not mention Patek or Chopard either because of ´cheapest´.
    Chopard do a wonderful LUC manufacture piece with twin stacked barrels, 65 hr reserve, and 22ct micro-rotor with exceptional finish in a steel case for £3800 or so. Hence their place in the under 4k manufacture list.
    Which model can be had for 3800£ retail? L.U.C's are almost always gold, Pro One in stainless steel retails at way over 5000£ on a rubber strap and I couldn't find anything cheaper than that...
    I was surprised too -- It's a new model, LUC Classic in stainless steel, ref. 168500 - 3002 with the 3.96 movement. There's one in the Chopard boutique in Selfridges with the silver dial.

Master

Master

Wind your neck in "newbie"....

Bye then... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master
    tom Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm Posts: 70
    Just how many people have you seen leave in the whole month you have been a member? Please list them for us. I'm sure that those of us that have been around longer than a fart stays in a high wind would find it interesting.

Oh, I'm sorry. You're no longer around to answer as the interests section in your profile shows: Unfortunately I have found this site to be boorish and insufficiently interesting and am therefore no longer interested in it.

Have a nice day and anytime you want to be in the kitchen and take the concomitant heat feel free to pipe up and regale us with your thoughts.

I'm amazed by the way this thread has gone !!

I'm a newbie too and the reason I joined TZ is the banter / the odd argument / the pro-Rolex, Omega, Seiko etc viewpoints / and the wealth of information that's available from the seasoned members on so many varied areas of horology :)

I may not agree with a lot of the viewpoints but I sure as heck learn a lot from them ... and the odd one has changed my perceptions completely (in particular on higher end Seiko - thanks Huertzilla / Debitu).

Can't help but think the chap above is the one that will be missing out !!

Unbelievable, I don't know how I managed to miss this :shock:

So I guess I'm one one of those depressingly stupid, peurile [sic], ignorant, bigoted, mentally constipated TZers then :roll:

Cheers

Stern