closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona - any experiences of current wait from AD?

Rolex Daytona - any experiences of current wait from AD?

Anybody had any success with a SS Daytona from an AD (UK) - stupid wait times excepted :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Re: Rolex Daytona - any experiences of current wait from AD?

Obviously I don't know about UK ADs but over here a colleague of mine bought a black-dialled one a few weeks ago, and he had to wait about three minutes.

I don't dislike the Daytona but I still can't see what all the fuss is about

Cheers

Stern

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Same thing here with all Rolexes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Same thing here with all Rolexes.....

Is that so? Jeez 'Cilla, I hadn't noticed :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries

i asked my friend after xmas how long the list was
    and he said do you want one and brought me one out
    this was goldsmiths he rang a few on the waiting list and they had no money
    remember when they left depos it was prob around Ł3500-4000 now its nearly Ł6500 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grand Master

If you want one and hunt it down then i'd say you wouldn't have a long wait, but for all the talk not a lot of people actually do the hunting.

If you've got the cash then i'd stick a few threads up on here, TURF, rolexforums and see what info comes back, i've seen a couple of people do this in the last year or so and both had watches within a month.

Master

Would have to check with my local AD.

I have seen a lovely black dial, red font Daytona i(first daytona I have really liked) In a magazine ad only to find it was a white gold model :( It would have been a lovely tool watch in SS. Not that I could afford it.

Dave

Didn't you buy one of those before Chris ?
    :lol:

Pretty sure Ernest Jones and WoS in Brum have both got Daytona's in the windows.

It only seems to be the SS ones that are difficult to get hold of, most of the others are available ex-stock. My local EJ has 3 or 4 in the window.

Pretty sure I saw a white and black-dialled SS Daytona in the window of Carr's on Liverpool Street...
    M

Master

Never had problems buying new Rolexes. Just let my fingers do the walking and phoned around. Admittedly, never bought a Daytona, but have bought plenty of others, including so called rare models, after no more than half a dozen calls.

About 4 weeks for me, but I jumped the queue (or so I was led to believe). I suspect it was more a case of others not having cash (only last Spetember), plus I had built up a relationship with the AD. This is for a black face SS Daytona.

Banned

I spoke with my AD last week and asked where I was on the list, he told me 20th :lol: I asked what the wait was he said 2 years :lol: :lol:

I love mine though and wear it daily 8)

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx
    Didn't you buy one of those before Chris ?
    I did Jon - it was my long time grail but it just never hit the spot. The one I had was the black dial version but I have a friend who has the white dial version which I have tried on and it is far nicer (IMO of course :) ).

As regards the 'fuss' comments - no fuss in my house, Rolex are a firm favourite and will always remain so. Each to their own chaps :wink:

Craftsman

Available from my local AD :)

Journeyman

A French guy did a thread concerning that "Must have" Daytona, to prove the long wait was a joke, brilliantly created by the Rolex foundation.

http://forum.chronomania.net/mix_entry.php?id=103388

To sum up, you will not ever find a Daytona by calling the watch stores.
    But if you simply enter the shop, and ask politely, you might find one sooner than expected. :mrgreen:

For the story, the guy decided to buy one, just to prove he can find one in a day.
    He's entered two different shops.
    The first one claimed that there was a huge waiting list...blablabla... :roll:
    The second one did not have any "in stock", but called him 2 hours later to tell he can come the next day to pick up the watch.
    He came the next day, took the daytona, and sold it at the rolex price.

I also do not understand all that fuzz about that watch

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    A French guy did a thread concerning that "Must have" Daytona, to prove the long wait was a joke, brilliantly created by the Rolex foundation.

http://forum.chronomania.net/mix_entry.php?id=103388

I read the French, but Google's Translate service was its usual humorous self:

"I turn a good five minutes in the store almost empty before a "seller" freshly formatted deigns interested in me."

Interesting shots of his car's formed-plastic steering wheel boss. Why? It's VAG diesel.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Anybody had any success with a SS Daytona from an AD (UK) - stupid wait times excepted :wink:
    8 days

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124379

:D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Artificial scarcity is one of the standard ploys in the manual. The trick is not to get caught out lying.

My wife is a fair bit younger than me and her father had a successfull advertising agency that did the campaigns of some world renowned top end brands and is enjoying very early retirement to the full.
    He drops by to see his daughter and grandson a lót. Since that means staying over a few days we see a lot of him and it is amusing to no end to hear his background stories about the totally unfounded hot air and embellished lies that gets devised into high profile júst not conning campaigns.
    The yarns spun are absolute. Integrity is no issue. Not even if it is legal. ´Can we be caught out on that´ is the only boundary.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

You need to buy the White dialled version with pink pounds
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    You need to buy the White dialled version with pink pounds
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

From my experiences it is still difficult. If you have a good relationship with you AD that will change things however most stores have cold callers and people going in asking and they have a list of excuses! Fantastic watch and definitely one I'll go back to fund permitting...

Grand Master

The trick is to enter the AD's wearing a sheepskin coat, oversized gold bracelet and pork-pie hat, talk in a cockney accent and explain that you are just passing on route to the car auctions to collect more stock!

Once they realize your profession they will issue you with one free of charge
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    The trick is to enter the AD's wearing a sheepskin coat, oversized gold bracelet and pork-pie hat, talk in a cockney accent and explain that you are just passing on route to the car auctions to collect more stock!

Once they realize your profession they will issue you with one free of charge

ouch :blackeye: just need a sheepy a gold bracelet a pork pie hat and a change of accent :D

my AD has asked if I want one without telling me he had it 'a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat'

100thmonkey Wrote:The trick is to enter the AD's wearing a sheepskin coat, oversized gold bracelet and pork-pie hat, talk in a cockney accent and explain that you are just passing on route to the car auctions to collect more stock!
    Not as difficult as it used to be, I put my name down on a list at an AD last year and got mine within 4 months. It does amuse me how many people love to hijack these posts with derogatory comments aimed at Daytonas and their owners... is there any other watch that brings out such negativity? :blackeye:
    The irony about the above comment is that a steel Daytona is a long way from the type of person desrcibed, a Gold rolex maybe, but a regular daytona in steel... I don't think so. It's not everyones cup of tea without a date but still a very, very nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Artificial scarcity is one of the standard ploys in the manual. The trick is not to get caught out lying.

My wife is a fair bit younger than me and her father had a successfull advertising agency that did the campaigns of some world renowned top end brands and is enjoying very early retirement to the full.
    He drops by to see his daughter and grandson a lót. Since that means staying over a few days we see a lot of him and it is amusing to no end to hear his background stories about the totally unfounded hot air and embellished lies that gets devised into high profile júst not conning campaigns.
    The yarns spun are absolute. Integrity is no issue. Not even if it is legal. ´Can we be caught out on that´ is the only boundary.
    I used to be in outdoor advertising before I enjoyed very early retirement to the full :wink: and I don't know what the rules are abroad but the advertising standards are pretty strict here.

Whole campaigns have been ditched at the last moment when an irregularity has been found although TBH I can only remember two watch campaigns, both for TAG
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    You've seen me out! :lol:

Especially the cockney accent bit. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

I got mine within two days from an AD for list price...phoned about 30 AD's all over the UK and must have got lucky.

Worth phoning around though...

Who'd want a steel Cosmo when there's a chic new Tudor on the block..?

:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

I'm stuck on a waiting list and have been for over a year :evil:

Was told to start with by various people it would be less than a month but I'm still waiting, cash in hand :cry:

I did try Mike's theory and started phoning round a few AD's at Xmas but after about half a dozen I was bored of the same old shite spouted about 3 years blah blah and gave up.