• France

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will win the World Cup?

Re: Who will win the World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
    england must surely be favourites now after beating the mighty Slovenia. Germany will be quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing them in the next round.
    England will play far better against an attacking team with quality, this i am sure. Germany may not be quaking...as they have'nt qualified yet.. but if they do, then England also have nothing to fear. Most teams are now at the same level, roll on Sunday!! :)

Master

I hope we'll get England vs. Germany.

Two brothers playing on opposing sides today, Kevin Prince Boateng for Ghana and his brother Jerome in the German squad. That must be a first.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Two brothers playing on opposing sides today, Kevin Prince Boateng for Ghana and his brother Jerome in the German squad. That must be a first.
    It is....

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10
    Germany may not be quaking...as they have'nt qualified yet..
    If they keep playing like they are in that first half they aren't going to qualify.

C'mon Germany, get the finger out.

Master

i have some money on Holland to win this year.... they are a bit overlooked, but have 6 points already and can rest players if they like... could go all the way.

England won, but it's not looking easy for them. The World Cup tree is very uneven... all the best squads are on the same side: Argentina, Brazil, Spain? (they have to beat Chile first of course) and Germany.

If England somehow, amazingly can win Germany, they'll most likely play Argentina... then comes Spain/Brazil. They need a friggin' miracle to go through these teams. Sorry but it's not going to happen. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... kout_stage

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JPE
    England won, but it's not looking easy for them. The World Cup tree is very uneven... all the best squads are on the same side: Argentina, Brazil, Spain? (they have to beat Chile first of course) and Germany.

If England somehow, amazingly can win Germany, they'll most likely play Argentina... then comes Spain/Brazil. They need a friggin' miracle to go through these teams. Sorry but it's not going to happen. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... kout_stage
    That's not correct. If Brazil wins their group they will be on the other side of the bracket. Likely along with the Netherlands. If England had won their's they would be too. Now, those teams may finish 2nd in their groups and have to face each other, but that's the price of not finishing 1st.

Interestingly, as of now, no South American team has lost and each sits a top its group. Considering this and how hard it was for Argentina to even qualify for the finals, they have been quite impressive.

Oh yeah... looked it wrong... true, Brazil goes to the easy side. They're not going to lose to Portugal... all they need is a tie.

Argentina team struggled in the qualifying but when you look at the roster you gotta wonder how it's even possible. Their offense is simply insane. People say their defense is bad but all those guys play in the European top teams... true, their coach is a proven loon, but who knows... maybe it's working for them.

Chile might still create a huge upset and kick Spain out of the tournament. Let's keep our fingers crossed. South American teams really seem to be strong this time.

Argentina-Uruguay in the final? How about that... it's about time to have a rematch. LINK.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    As a proud Scot, I really do wish the English all the luck in the world against Slovenia.

Really I do.
    Honestly.
    I swear it.
    I promise I mean it.
    Nothing could make me happier.

Aye. Right. :D
    Thanks for your support! It is refreshing to hear from a Scot who is prepared to 'AWA' the braw Sassenach footie team! :twisted:
    :lol:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    Any English gents voted against England?
    Yes, I voted Brazil as that is where my wedge was punted! :D

Heart=England, Head and pocket=Brazil!

Master

Well... Denmark is in serious trouble against Japan... 0-2.... Crap....

Grand Master

Could be anyones game at the end of the day,England certainly have not stood out from any other team as been unbeatable,and so for anyone to say they will win is purely a wish that may or may not come true.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cpys11688
    Could be anyones game at the end of the day,England certainly have not stood out from any other team as been unbeatable,and so for anyone to say they will win is purely a wish that may or may not come true.
    Is it ever any other way for anyone? Unless you've bunged the match of course.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

As more people see this thread, England are edging up on votes

Master

WTF.... England just scored to 2-2, but no goal :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tukjaer
    But remember the linesman didn't see it, it matters not if 30,000,000 other people saw it and it matters not that a goal was scored.

Anyone fancy the linesman's chances of being alive before bedtime if England don't go through? :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab
    But remember the linesman didn't see it, it matters not if 30,000,000 other people saw it and it matters not that a goal was scored.

Anyone fancy the linesman's chances of being alive before bedtime if England don't go through? :D
    They didn't. We shall wait and see what happens.

It was not in. Proof: http://imgur.com/QxJvh

Cheers,

Deryck

Master

Quote Originally Posted by deryckt

Cheers,

Deryck
    :D :D :D

Grand Master

:lol:

I bet it seems, to some, like there are "forces at play". Uruguaian linesman and ref? Hmm. Still, the team got beat. It would still have been 4-2; I doubt allowing the equaliser would have made a difference.

Apparently the ref, on seeing the video footage at half-time, said "oh my God". It was tweeted by someone in the room and the mainstream press picked it up. I can't find the link presently but am sure it will come out in due course.

Master

Well my prediction of Argentina is still looking good. Still can't believe how bad England played, time to clear the decks I reckon, manager, senior players the lot, bin em and build it up again from the next generation this Gerrard/Terry/Lampard generation are spoiled goods now and will never win anything :(

Blog Entries

Cheers,

Deryck
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Well my prediction of Argentina is still looking good. Still can't believe how bad England played, time to clear the decks I reckon, manager, senior players the lot
    Why the manager? He has had stacks of success given the raw materials he was given to work with; four losses out of 29 games (including a win over Germany; shame it wasn't in a competition). Is England going to turn into a sort of international version of Newcastle United, with a new manager every two weeks?

Master

Because on balance the performance were the worst I have seen from an England next to the Graham Taylor euro championships disaster.

Master

My dream is to see Holland vs. Argentina. The first WC final I saw, was in 1978......

Germany-Argentina is going to be HUGE.

A bit of a nostalgia preview here. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk_MTuGk8VY

Master

Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    I think Spain will win it, and as England realistically have no chance, the team that I would like to win it would be Holland.
    Is my dream final on the cards ?

I wish I'd put a few quid on it now, but as I've never placed a bet in my life, I wouldn't know how to :lol:

Master

How satisfying was that!! Jogo bonita my arse... they only play the samba football against lesser opposition, as soon as they meet a team who hasnt mentally lost the game before its even started.... they struggle.

Bye bye brazil. Lets hope for a Holland-Germany final!

Master

Well done Holland. Brazil though talk about falling apart under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    How satisfying was that!! Jogo bonita my arse... they only play the samba football against lesser opposition, as soon as they meet a team who hasnt mentally lost the game before its even started.... they struggle.

Bye bye brazil. Lets hope for a Holland-Germany final!
    I have to agree with that. I only saw bits of the game as I was at the gym. But it looked as though a different Holland turned up in the second half. I can't see the Dutch beating Spain though, they were my tip at the start. Outside bet may well be Uruguay. :shock:

Blog Entries

Well, Our country got airborn when the Sneijder shot on goal and the Brazillian defender touched the ball (Juan). At least 2.0 on the Richter Scale!

Sneijder and the Brazillian goalie both play for Inter and on Dutch television Sneijder commented that he knew the goalie's weak point: high and curving shots on goal from the wings.

This game this afternoon was the 1974 game revisited: Holland - Brazil: 2-0. At that time, Brazil great in the first half like today. Holland picked up after the break, thinking: "This is our final 45 minutes in the tournament. Let's kick *ss!" And like then, they succeeded! A similar situation this afternoon: back then, a Brazillian defender was sent off too, after being nagged by the Dutch strikers! Mind you, I was a young boy back then and that game was the first game I remember very vivid!

I think Robben acted very professional this afternoon: first, his Brazilian opposer (is that the correct term here?) got the yellow card, his replacement was sent off with a red one after a charge on Robben! And changing Van Persie was a great move imho: Huntelaar is a local guy :D ! And he's more used to the Latin Football style (Milan and Real Madrid - so he knows what it's like to be against gangster-style defenders!)

Have a great weekend! Be sure to know I will have a great weekend!

Menno

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Well, Our country got airborn when the Sneijder shot on goal and the Brazillian defender touched the ball (Juan). At least 2.0 on the Richter Scale!

Sneijder and the Brazillian goalie both play for Inter and on Dutch television Sneijder commented that he knew the goalie's weak point: high and curving shots on goal from the wings.

This game this afternoon was the 1974 game revisited: Holland - Brazil: 2-0. At that time, Brazil great in the first half like today. Holland picked up after the break, thinking: "This is our final 45 minutes in the tournament. Let's kick *ss!" And like then, they succeeded! A similar situation this afternoon: back then, a Brazillian defender was sent off too, after being nagged by the Dutch strikers! Mind you, I was a young boy back then and that game was the first game I remember very vivid!

I think Robben acted very professional this afternoon: first, his Brazilian opposer (is that the correct term here?) got the yellow card, his replacement was sent off with a red one after a charge on Robben! And changing Van Persie was a great move imho: Huntelaar is a local guy :D ! And he's more used to the Latin Football style (Milan and Real Madrid - so he knows what it's like to be against gangster-style defenders!)

Menno
    Well, I hope the final will be Argentina vs. Holland, like in '78.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster

Menno
    Well, I hope the final will be Argentina vs. Holland, like in '78.....

We still have to settle a score with these guys. Back then, a lot intimidation form the Argentinian officials had a great impact on the Dutch team. And the Argentinians had Mario Kempes in there team... So it was Passarella who got to shake the hands with bad guy & convicted mass murderer Videla!

I'll post some details about that 1978 game when the 2010 final wiil be a game between Argentina and Holland.

Menno

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Well done Holland. Brazil though talk about falling apart under pressure.
    Melo stamping Robben's leg - it doesn't take much for Brazil to revert to type. A good thing there was no inappropriate gunfire involved.

In a stupidly ill-considered press conference after, own-goal-tastic Melo had this to say:

"It's tough now to call home and hear your son crying. Robben kept playing up. If I meant to hurt him, he would have left the pitch. I have enough strength to break his leg."

I think Robben has more than enough in his tank to put you in traction too, Rambo ;)

So screw Brazil - happy to see them out. International football doesn't need this sort of shit.

If Germany donīt win the tournament after todays performance my name is Beckham! Superb display, clinical finsihing. Absolutely outstanding.

If Germany donīt win the tournament after todays performance my name is Beckham! Superb display, clinical finsihing. Absolutely outstanding.
    Andy do you want to be called Becks or Golden balls :shock: Germany won't do that to Spain. 8) Mind you my wifes German, so its wunderbar here!! :D

Master

Deutschland.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart
    Andy do you want to be called Becks or Golden balls :shock: Germany won't do that to Spain. 8) Mind you my wifes German, so its wunderbar here!! :D
    Golden Balls sounds good. :D My Wife is also German, so Iīm duty bound to support them, although I will chuckle ever so slightly if Spain or Holland win.

Master

+1
    Superb play.

Don't Cry for Me Argentina :D :D :D

Even iron Miss.Merkel was all in smile 8)

Master

I hope for Spain-Holland in the final now......

Journeyman

I made a bet before the World Cup and Germany was my winning team.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tintinoman
    I hope you did not bet too much then :lol: Germany can't beat Spain AND Holland..... I hope :shock:

HOLLAND!

I hope you did not bet too much then :lol: Germany can't beat Spain AND Holland..... I hope :shock:
    Mate, I never support the Germans in football, mainly as I never hear the last of it from German friends and family when they win, so Iīve adopted a sort of Anti German footie attitude over the years. But the football Iīve seen the German team play against Argentina was sublime, and I have to admit that they are the only team that look like they could take this cup with ease, even against Spain (who I would like to win) and especiall Holland.

Master

Well, they can't beat both at the same time. :lol:

But one after another, oh yes, they will :D

Holland

Journeyman

They will. But only 50 Dkr........ Just wait and see. If not I will spend you a cup of coffee next time you come to Copenhagen.....

Torben

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Well, they can't beat both at the same time. :lol:

But one after another, oh yes, they will :D
    Just my words.........

Germany all the way - Argentina are still crying......

Torben

holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland hollan holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland

We're in the final!!

Holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland holland