closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: World Cup v WWII

Journeyman

World Cup v WWII

It appears the World Cup now resembles WWII.

The French have surrendered, USA has come in at the last minute and England are facing off against Germany.

:D

PMcK

Banned

Re: World Cup v WWII

The Yanks will I guess sit on the bench throughout the whole next match then.......................

Thomas Reid

You forget about Russia (even considering just the European aspect).

Best wishes,
    Bob

Will Italy change shirts with the other team at half-time?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

:D :lol: :lol:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    The Yanks will I guess sit on the bench throughout the whole next match then.......................

Don't read much?

Journeyman

following this analogy, the usa will come in and kick major butt. one can only imagine the game when they come in and drop the bomb.

as for the french, there is joke about them. for sale, french rifle. never shot and dropped only once.

So, aside from the tens of millions who died during the 2nd World War, the millions more whose lives were devastated and the large portions of the worlds political map redrawn I still cannot see how a football game can be seen as a allegory for a war.

As for the French, did all of the several hundred thousand French military die without firing a shot

*rant over*

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson
    As for the French, did all of the several hundred thousand French military die without firing a shot
    which ones are we talking about, the ones on our side or theirs :wink:

and as for the analogy, its a football joke thats all. chill dude.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    which ones are we talking about, the ones on our side or theirs :wink:
    I think the figures are roughly 120,000 'allied' French and about 20,000 'axis' French soldiers died, I cannot remember how many 'resistance' fighters died

...and as for the analogy, its a football joke thats all. chill dude.
    You are correct, my sense of humour seems to have disappeared. My apologies to all.

Master

So, aside from the tens of millions who died during the 2nd World War, the millions more whose lives were devastated and the large portions of the worlds political map redrawn I still cannot see how a football game can be seen as a allegory for a war.
    It's tiresome, but for a country with little else to celebrate in the last century it's unsurprising that matches against countries we've fought against recently fit the bill of war minus the shooting - at least from the perspective of a tabloid editor.

*rant over*
    No, but their mostly supine performance (as armies in possession) facing numerically smaller and technologically equivalent forces in that war is a matter of record, and their failure of morale, training and leadership equally so. That doesn't mean at all that the French are cowards, but as far as the fall of France goes, it was a catastrophe with few parallels that reflects poorly on their leadership and forces at the time and their resilience.

I'm running the risk that this post looks as humourless as yours, but I've had a fairly catastrophic day myself and my sanctimony tolerance has been temporarily weakened.

...and as for the analogy, its a football joke thats all. chill dude.
    You are correct, my sense of humour seems to have disappeared. My apologies to all.
    If it helps:

-My wife, a true Frenchwoman, takes every opportunity to out that the French were actually in the two recent World Cup Finals and were European champions within recent memory whereas England, like a deranged old man, still coos over something that happened over 40 years ago.

-I point out that these "French" teams were actually Arsenal.

-She points out that the the French (as usual) have stood up for themselves and refuse to take any sh*t while the English, being overpaid spineless and lazy, are only good when they follow orders from foreigners.

-I point out that England are still in South Africa and that the French aren't. Moral victories are good but not as good as real victories.

-She points up that the English have successfully set themselves up for epic fail and she looks forward to the Fabio dealing with a sympathetic and understanding press when he flies home.

-I point at certain sections of the French press bemoaning the lack of white Frenchmen in the team as an excuse for failure... which is a bit different from '98.

...this continues for usually about 3 hours until we run out of groundless stereotypes.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    -She points up that the English have successfully set themselves up for epic fail and she looks forward to the Fabio dealing with a sympathetic and understanding press when he flies home.
    Did you counter with "they set themselves up for an "epic fail" in the 2nd and all subsequent rounds of the World Cup Finals, after having qualified in the group stages?" ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Fuck me.

I was at work in the Solomon Islands when I posted this, came home to find there had been a coup in my country and we now have a female Prime Minister.

Meanwhile, both the Socceroos and NewZealand have bowed out of the Cup.

Oh,by the way, Italy has now surrrendered as well.

I should have posted this on Boys Room, obviously a bit highly strung on G & D.

Also I worked for a French company for 7 years and love the place.

PMcK