closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1 Cal 911 Flightmaster = 1 Happy Camper!

Craftsman

1 Cal 911 Flightmaster = 1 Happy Camper!

Evenin' All

After a several false starts and the invaluable advice of fellow TZer Jack Norman (who really has proved to me what this community is all about); I finally got my paws on a very nice Flightmaster with the original box.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... G_1740.jpg[/img]
    Everything present and correct and unusually it came with the correct period strap and buckle rather than the 1162/172 bracelet. The case finish is still very crisp with just a few hairlines that aren't really notcable on the wrist. It is an absolute monster on the wrist, not to the point of looking like you've got a dinner plate attached to your forearm, but it certainly makes it's presence felt. I'm in 2 minds about whether to get hold of a bracelet for it, I'm currently leaning towards a nice padded rally style strap - maybe with yellow stitching to match the hands - I'd be grateful for views on a suitable strap.
    Dial and hands are spot on with none of the discolouration or smudged lume on the batons that you see in many examples

Even the pushers seem to have their original enamlling in place

Chuffed -Moi? Yup! :D

Re: 1 Cal 911 Flightmaster = 1 Happy Camper!

Very, very nice - but I must admit I was expecting the primary Blue, red and green!
    It's just a matter of time...

Nice pick up, especially the box what a great design... Omega really did go that extra mile with everything in those days 8)

Great watch! Contratulations!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM
    . Omega really did go that extra mile with everything in those days 8)
    +1, the late 60s was Omega's best period when they made some excellent stuff.

Great example of an all-time classic watch.

Paul

Absolutely stunning, so nice to see the amazingly cool box as well :D one of the best by Omega ever IMO.

Craftsman

Thanks for the replies chaps, my poor photos really don't do it justice. Now that the daytime crowd up and about, i would appreciate some suggestions (with photos if poss.) on bracelets and straps. While while the original strap is very nice, it's a bit too flimsy after nearly 40 years to cope with the weight of the watch itself and I don't want any expensive accidents!

Cheers

Ian :wink:

I think FM's rather like the mark series of Speedy have to be on the bracelet, they look a bit queer on a strap because of the case shape.

Not great pics but....

Close up..

movement shot...

and a bit of original ad..

Well that's my pics all used up. :lol:

Welcome to the potty world of FM.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Absolute beauty and with the box too 8)

BTW are there several different versions of these with different dials and hands ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Lovely condition - congratulations!

The chronograph hands were red on the standard watch, but as a special request, Omega would supply yellow hands to allow for aircraft cabins lit by infrared light such as yours.

Picked this up as a trade on the forum recently and I have to say they are amazing in the flesh. Wore mine at a party on Friday and I've never received so many comments from all the blokes asking what it was. Real eye catchers!!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I can understand why you are a happy camper, that's a great catch :)

love colourful watches

faz

i know its far from vintage correct or anything, but I used to wear mine on a brushed watchadoo lumpy quite a bit.

The heft of the watch really worked well with the chunky, non tapering braclet IMHO................

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock

The chronograph hands were red on the standard watch, but as a special request, Omega would supply yellow hands to allow for aircraft cabins lit by infrared light such as yours.
    Not altogether sure I believe that one.

There seem to be rather too many yellow hands around for a special request job. :wink:

And what about the GMT's that were often worn with the red hand?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Thanks Neil,

Think you're probably right, the bracelet just looks 'right' I suppose now I'll have to start another long hunt to find a 1162/172 bracelet. Anyone any ideas onewhere to source one? Cousins website is saying it's obsolete and there aren't any alternatives.

Cheers

Ian :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    I think FM's rather like the mark series of Speedy have to be on the bracelet, they look a bit queer on a strap because of the case shape.

Not great pics but....

Close up..

movement shot...

and a bit of original ad..

Well that's my pics all used up. :lol:

Welcome to the potty world of FM.

Very nice watch, congrats!

One of Omegas best the Flightmaster,looks superb :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock

Not altogether sure I believe that one.

There seem to be rather too many yellow hands around for a special request job. :wink:

And what about the GMT's that were often worn with the red hand?
    Omega produced two versions of the cal.911 Flightmaster.

Ref: 145.0026 was the orange hand version and had a crystal that fitted into a groove in the case body. This was aimed at 'hobby' pilots.

Ref: 145.0036 was the yellow hand version which had a crystal that was pressure fitted to the case with a gasket which prevented the crystal popping out if rapid decompression was experienced. This was aimed at professional pilots. As already mentioned above the yellow hands where more visible with cockpit lighting.

Some owners choose to change the hand colour when having a service but Ian's example has the correct ref no. for yellow hands which look to be the originals.

How very interesting.

Mine is a "professional" Ref: 145.0036 but the dial and hands were all replaced.

The originals were orange too.

Knowing vintage Omega as I do I am not sure such clear cut descriptions can be readily made but interesting all the same.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Knowing vintage Omega as I do I am not sure such clear cut descriptions can be readily made but interesting all the same.
    Hello Neil,

I agree that with Omega the minute you think you have a definitive viewpoint on something up pops a watch that defies the conclusion just reached.

The Omega website just states that 145.0026 replaced 145.0013 (cal.910) and in turn 145.0036 replaced 145.0026.

I am also sure that when Omega were originally putting the watches together hand colours were often mixed up if watches very similar. I requested a set of yellow hands when having a cal.910 restored in Switzerland and the watch came back with orange ones......so nothing much changes!!!!!

Regards, Jack

That flightmaster (set) is an amazing find. The box appears contemporary - not as if were from the 70's.

It'd be nice if Omega re-released some of their older designs - as their current designs do not inspire parting of money. Speedy Pro doesn't count.

[quote=Jack Norman]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":1p45e29f
    Hello Neil,

I agree that with Omega the minute you think you have a definitive viewpoint on something up pops a watch that defies the conclusion just reached.

The Omega website just states that 145.0026 replaced 145.0013 (cal.910) and in turn 145.0036 replaced 145.0026.

I am also sure that when Omega were originally putting the watches together hand colours were often mixed up if watches very similar. I requested a set of yellow hands when having a cal.910 restored in Switzerland and the watch came back with orange ones......so nothing much changes!!!!!

Regards, Jack[/quote:1p45e29f]

I think that is pretty much it Jack.

The moment we think we have something pigeon holed ................ :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Nice minty 911 you have got there and you are very lucky to get it with box and papers.

Welcome to the Fightmasters club, my 910 says hi...

Craftsman

Mine is one of the "transitional" type c911. It originally came with yellow hands, and the c910 type case/crystal!

Mine was sent to Omega Bienne for full refurb, and they confirmed its originality. Hadn't been opened before the refurb.