closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Audi A4 Convertible owners?

Any Audi A4 Convertible owners?

Im really fancying one of these (most likely the final edition), any reviews from owners on here? :)

Re: Any Audi A4 Convertible owners?

Really nice boot - tons of space for scissors, curlers and blue rinse lotion :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Really nice boot - tons of space for scissors, curlers and blue rinse lotion :lol:
    You've no use for any of the above mate, that why you've not got one :twisted:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

To give a more serious answer - A4s are damn good cars - my old boy has a 3.0 TDI quattro which has not had a single fault in five years. Plenty of poke but of course drinks a bit if you do that, I think the smaller 2.0 diesel or petrol would be more than adequate for a decent everyday driver. Great residuals too, esp. the drop-tops :)

Maybe I ought to have mentioned, I drive a Z4 at the moment :lol:

I had the 1.8T convertible for four years. Decent car: solid, well made, comfy, practical (relatively) and nothing went wrong or fell off. Good on long runs, pretty economical and still one of the best looking convertibles of that size I reckon: even the early ones haven't showed their age IMO. Not big fun to drive though: I had an S2000 beforehand, got the A4 as a stab at practicality and am back in a 2-seater now as I missed the ability to hoon about.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Missus had one, 1.8 I think. Was a bit sluggish but nice to drive. One with more poke would be 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Unless you really need the extra space, I'd stick with the Z4. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Audi (I've got a VAG 2.0L TDI lump in my car) but the Z4 is just much more driver focused.

If you're not buying brand new then don't buy a multitronic box if you get one. The reason - see here!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aud...I5y60gTOk_jmAw

My A4 Avant (04 plate) started to play up but managed to part ex before it got expensive. Now have a BMW 3 series but will go back to Audi ownership within the year.

Master

One of my (business) partners has had a 3.0tdi A4 conv. for the last 3 years

Minus points -
    1. The paint was a bit iffy when he got it (new)
    2. It eats tyres
    3. A bit thirsty for an oil burner

Plus points-
    1. nicely built.
    2. quite quick
    3. He's a cr@p driver - so it must handle and stop well :wink:

HTH - JP :D

I seem to remember Clarkson saying that no one could ever sit in the back for fear of it looking like a Nazi staff car :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    I seem to remember Clarkson saying that no one could ever sit in the back for fear of it looking like a Nazi staff car :D
    ha ha,my pals got a very nice specced one,all the bells and whistles,but somehow id rather have my golf.

This was famously the car that Diana PoW was forced to settle for after the Merc SL she was driving was deemed "too German".....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ceathreamhnan
    This was famously the car that Diana PoW was forced to settle for after the Merc SL she was driving was deemed "too German".....
    Except she died before the A4 cabriolet was released... :D

(I think you getting confused with the earlier 80 which was / still is a great car) :)

Yes that's the one :roll:

Craftsman

Hi

I had the older 80 2.6 v6 varient and it was an excellent car, the newer A4 cabriolet has addressed a few of the issue giving better boot space and more rear seat room, if anyone over the age of 5 sat in the back of mine it was like playing twister to get them in :D

Master

I had one for nearly five years and absolutely loved it! The best thing about it is how very good it is at not being open topped. With the hood up you could be in a high quality coupe, it's quiet, very comfortable, beautifully finished (the inside of the hood is fully lined) and very refined. Even the part of the boot that the hood folds into collapses upward so you get the boot back (although there's a fair bit of room with it down).

Top down it's just fantastic, still very refined, quiet and comfortable but proper open top (unlike these stupid CC tings where the screen goes almost over the front seat occupants heads).

Top tips are:

Avoid the 2.4 litre petrol. Has the performance of the 1.8T with the thirst of the 3.0 V6. Worst of all worlds.

Quattro makes a heavy car even heavier, probably worth giving a miss.

Get the wind deflector. It's available as a retro fit so the car dowesn't have to come with it, but it transforms the car with the roof down, absolutely brilliant.

Get the "Sport" version. The standard car rides on piddly 16 inch wheels and the suspension is too wallowy. Sport firms it up just enough to give decent body control without being harsh. Also the sport seats are more adjustable and far more comfortable. Avoid S-Line though, 18 inch wheels and harder suspension make it to stiff.

Desirable essentials are Bose if you enjoy your music (it's fab), heated seats (make driving roof down at night or in winter very cosy). Other than that it's very well equipped anyway.

As I say, I loved mine and would have another in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I think it is one of the best all round cars ever, it does everything well and nothing badly and looks a million dollars.

Journeyman

Good comments there Ari. Gives people like myself that have always considered an A4 convertible a bit more of an insight. I am looking to move house at the moment so all my cash is tied up, but after that :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Maybe I ought to have mentioned, I drive a Z4 at the moment :lol:

Get a 330 or 335 Convertible instead otherwise you'll be kicking yourself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Master

I looked at the BMW 3 Series (and Saab) before buying the Audi, I felt it wasn't in the same league regarding things like interior quality, style, seat comfort, ergonomics etc.

I know the magazine reviews bang on about it handling better and rear wheel drive etc, but quite frankly in the real world you just can't drive fast enough to exploit any real handling difference whereas you can appreciate the other elements every single time you use the car.