closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Kinetic Diver Question ?

Seiko Kinetic Diver Question ?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what is wrong with the newer Seiko Kinetic Divers, Model no SEIKO SKA371P1 and several related models with different coloured dials and pvd cases ?

I really like the look of them and the "chunkiness" of the case, and the semi Monster style dial and chapter ring, nice clear easy to read bezel too :)

It's just that tons of them seem to appear on SC, and they are quickly flipped on a regular basis too :shock: ?

Is it the fear of the reliability of the kinetic system, or something that is only apparent when they are handled and used ? Do they wear a lot Bigger / Smaller than they look otherwise ? Or are they just one of those pieces that looks a lot better in photos than in the flesh ?

I'm puzzled :? Richie :)

Re: Seiko Kinetic Diver Question ?

They are great, love my two.
    I think the main problem is the kinetic movement as you say, if it was an auto it could be a future classic.
    Dont be put off by all the sales (i noticed them too) they are a good weight and have a very good bezel action and well worth the money they go for now.

Thanks Mike,

Great Pic ! You don't by any chance have a pic of your black dialled one next to an SKX007 or 009 do you ?

Richie :)

Afraid not Richie, comparing the two online, the kinetic looks almost as if its been squashed from the sides so it looks narrower but thicker (makes sense to me :? )

Craftsman

I think they are somewhat flashy compared to the normal diver style of Seiko like the Skx 007 and 009 which is a style handled by seiko for a lot of years, more classic and loved

The colours of the dial, strange hands, the form of the chapter ring at 6,9 and 12 and the shape of the case at the lugs is a bit strange to me.
    The Seiko monster is one of the divers which came with a new style, although rather "easy" for the eyes. After that a whole bunch of newer style divers appeared. Most of them hyped but are forgotten fast...who remembers the "atlas" ?

Quality of the kinetic movement is without discussion, very early kinetics had some problems with the capacitor which is an easy repair and todays watches don't have the problems.

Let's not forget we are WIS..we have to many watches and are easily bored. Most people buy a Seiko diver and wear them for a lot of years.

Master

I have a Pepsi bezelled blue one of these. It does wear pretty big but it's a very comfortable watch to wear.
    I bought mine from SC, about a month ago I think. Paid £110 for it and it's worth every penny of that.

I really enjoy it and it's a different look to my other divers, most of which are now Seiko too.
    I can't see me parting with it for the forseeable future...

Grand Master

it think it's just the style of this particular model, and maybe the lack of a sapphire. the "boss kinetic is much nicer looking and comfier on the wrist imho, and the older 200m rolex like ones (sorry don't know the model number) are both classy looking and have a sapphire - the one to go for if you can get a good one!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    the older 200m rolex like ones (sorry don't know the model number) are both classy looking and have a sapphire - the one to go for if you can get a good one!
    You mean the SKJ001? I love mine :)

Grand Master

thats the fella! now sell me it!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    the older 200m rolex like ones (sorry don't know the model number) are both classy looking and have a sapphire - the one to go for if you can get a good one!

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Superb watches. As solid as solid can be, but not oversized and extremely comfortable.

You either like the hands or you don't, but they are what first attracted me to the series. Very nicely made, good detailing and cracking value.

I had the yellow faced on and was very impressed. It didn't stay as long as I'd hoped as I needed to make way for some incoming watches.

I'm very tempted to try a black face one though, especially seeing the above photos!
    I think they're great watches, nice and chunky and feel very well made. I'd definitely get another

usually the capacitor part will die around 3 to 5 years depending on use

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic
    usually the capacitor part will die around 3 to 5 years depending on use
    Surely all the new ones will have the Li-ion cell which should last just as well as those used in Eco Drives and Tough Solars etc i.e. >10 years? The first cap in my SKJ001 lasted 8 years.

I used to have a Seiko SKA371P2, but I sold it quiet ago...very very well made and the chunky look makes this watch a masculine and rugged tool.

Master

I flipped mine when I got my Marine Master, because it stopped getting any wrist time. Probably the best watch I've owned though, the case, the bezel and the rubber strap were perfect

Journeyman

I bought the SKA369P1 recently and was really surprised at the feel of it given the low price I paid - approx 150USD. I have a thing for Seiko kinetics and saw a picture of the Pepsi colours and I just had to have one... I bought a rubber strap for it which has arrived today so looking forward to trying it on that... If I can figure out I'll try post some pics :-) Am a newb so that may take some time...

Bought mine in Nov 2008,this is one of the most comfortable watches I have worn, rugged and accurate.

Nothing wrong with them at all. Had mine for a couple of weeks now. Very comfortable, easy to read and hasn't lost a second since I've had it. I'm quite tempted to buy the Pepsi version too.

Craftsman

Always liked these, but never quite sure my skinny wrists would carry it off!

The Pepsi bezel version looks gorgeous...
    Anyone know if the dial is blue or black on the Pepsi version?

regards
    Adrian

I have the yellow. Very comfortable. Bracelet is quality. Combined, the watch is heavy but very wearable.

Journeyman

The Pepsi version has a blue dial, here's a link to a pic on ebay... I put a rubber strap on mine yesterday and am really impressed... will defo try post a pic !

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SEIKO-KINETIC-SCUBA- ... 2eae56322b

Grand Master

anyone out there got one of these (or especially the titanium version) for sale/trade?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

This is my other Kinetic, the Titanium sports 200

Grand Master

aaaaarggghhhh! thats the model i'm after! gimme!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTel

This is my other Kinetic, the Titanium sports 200
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

For me the prettiest of the kinetics is the titanium Grey Ghost. Mine but a poor pic:

Grand Master

ooh i like that! whats the price and availability like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    For me the prettiest of the kinetics is the titanium Grey Ghost. Mine but a poor pic:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....who sold you that ? :shock: :roll: :D

The older SKJ001 often comes up on the bay. There's a seller of kinetics who asks silly money (and never seems to sell any :D ) but they mostly go for around £100. You probably want one with a good bezel as there don't seem to be any new bezels left.

Craftsman

Thanks for the info jkbdub!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by matt

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo....who sold you that ? :shock: :roll: :D
    Matt on this very forum in April '08. If I recall correctly I also bought a charger to go with it from him too. Since I have three kinetics I do use it. Too many other watches to wear as well to maintain the charge. I think solar power is better for recharging. My Orca can be left on a window sill if necessary.

Here's a much better photo nicked.

I'm in the crowd that thinks these are superb Seiko divers. I like techy movement like Kinetics and Eco-drives, and I thoroughly enjoy its wrist time, and the thick chunky styling is a bit more modern than the last gen divers, which I've had a few over the years. Almost like a beefier cushion case with the rounded edges.

I like the hands and dial too, they definitely grew on me over time and are now one of my favorite features of the BFK. The stock bracelet also fits my 7.25" wrist perfectly due to the small micro-adjustment pins in the clasp. The lume is ridiculous and one of the best out there.

My only critiques, and very minor ones at that, are the lack of a sapphire and a bit more polished areas than I personally like. I'd love it more if were all-brushed, but that's just me. And the 20mm lugs will be an issue with an aftermarket strap, the head tends to overpower such a small lug width, at least the stock bracelet/strap is stepped out to 25mm. I've not worn mine on the rubber strap as yet, nor leather aftermarket for that matter, but will eventually for a change of pace. And a 20mm NATO may look a bit odd.

I bought mine near mint second hand for $150, fantastic deal. I've got a SKA383 inbound-- now that will make for an interesting comparison!

[Edited to clarify thought...]

Best,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedbird119
    I'm in the crowd that thinks these are superb Seiko divers. I like techy movement like Kinetics and Eco-drives, and I thoroughly enjoy its wrist time, and the thick chunky styling is a bit more modern than the last gen divers, which I've had a few over the years. Almost like a beefier cushion case with the rounded edges.

I like the hands and dial too, they definitely grew on me over time and are now one of my favorite features of the BFK. The stock bracelet also fits my 7.25" wrist perfectly due to the small micro-adjustment pins in the clasp. The lume is ridiculous and one of the best out there.

My only critiques, and very minor ones at that, are the lack of a sapphire and a bit more polished areas than I personally like. I'd love it more if were all-brushed, but that's just me. And the 20mm lugs will be an issue with a strap, the head tends to overpower such a small lug width, at least the bracelet is stepped out to 25mm. I've not worn mine on the rubber strap as yet, nor leather aftermarket for that matter, but will eventually for a change of pace. a 20mm NATO may look a bit odd.

I bought mine near mint second hand for $150, fantastic deal. I've got a SKA383 inbound-- now that will make for an interesting comparison!

Best,

Mike
    The standard Z20/4KR3JZ rubber strap also tapers from 25mm.