closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chopard - the low-down please

Banned

Chopard - the low-down please

Can you guys give me the low-down on Chopard watches please :)
    Was at Silverstone this weekend - twas great, if only for the watch 'watching' in the hospitality suite :D

Saw a lovely Chopard 1000 Miglia GT XL Chrono and quite fancy one. Anyone selling one or where to get one with a healthy discount ? :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Re: Chopard - the low-down please

I know one thing. They're near the top end and way out of my league. Some lovely models in the range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    I know one thing. They're near the top end and way out of my league. Some lovely models in the range.
    Not sure they are top end TBH, but lovely looking watches - no doubt :P

40-odd views and no other information - thought this was TZ-UK ! :?

they make superb watches and have their own in-house movments.

2001 MM Chrono. The fit and finish was amazing as was the time keeping. I recently had a look at the current range and wasn't as impressed as with some of the older models. IMHO there are better watches for the money of the XL.

Master

Sorry, this is the only pic I have of mine I just don't have any time to take any betters one lately, not that I could to begin with. I don't think your going to find any deep discounts from this brand you better off looking for a secondhand one if you want to save some money, as much as half off when I've seen them.

Not all Chopards have in house movements either, just the LUC line, the Mille Miglia's are ETA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastro
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Not sure they are top end TBH, but lovely looking watches - no doubt :P

40-odd views and no other information - thought this was TZ-UK ! :?
    The ones with the 1.96 are, IMHO. http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... 1689171141
    Not that I'll ever get my hands on one - nor that they appeal to me. The movement's nice though :)

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    Sorry, this is the only pic I have of mine I just don't have any time to take any betters one lately, not that I could to begin with. I don't think your going to find any deep discounts from this brand you better off looking for a secondhand one if you want to save some money, as much as half off when I've seen them.

Not all Chopards have in house movements either, just the LUC line, the Mille Miglia's are ETA's.

owned the same model but in White.

Wish I hadn't flipped it

They do make some fine watches, I've been enjoying this one for about a year now,

Rudimentary GMT functionality though (slaved 24h hand).
    Was curious for some time about the Black/Orange Pro One GMT but when I came face to face with this one the battle was lost...

As mentioned before the L.U.C line has inhouse calibers. All with micro rotors I think(?).
    RRP is high but good discounts are available, unfortunately not for loose OEM straps and deployant clasp :evil: (if anyone has a good lead please let me know :) ).

lovely watch, any idea how they are at holding their value ?

The LUC line are exceptional; the most affordable one is the new steel LUC classique with 3.96 for £3700 or so.

IMO a lot of the MM line is a bit overpriced for what you get, and it'll be hard to find discounts since a lot of their retail distribution is via their own boutiques or concessions. In the US though, you can find a healthy of grey market discounting on the net, so it might even be worth your while to import.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sportswatch
    lovely watch, any idea how they are at holding their value ?
    I sold one last year and there was no demand at all on here. Listed it on WUS and had several PMs within a few hours. Seem to be more well-regarded Stateside.

Journeyman

Good watches that are well made. I think the L.U.C. versions are worth it with beautiful movements, but the others are a small bit over priced for what they are.

... the Mille Miglia's are ETA's.
    They are ETA's but they are 'worked over', both decorated and adjusted. Here is the movement from a Jacky Ickx Edition 3 Mille Miglia.

... decorated under the dial too. Very nice. 8)

Rich.

Craftsman

L.U.C are right at the top. Mille Miglia line is basically canned ETA but very nice kind of it. It's a shame though that not many sporty L.U.C's are made these days. They used to have wider selection of Pro One but now it's only GMT that's left.

I bought my Pro One from timezone.com sales corner at very good price. They are not very well known so second hand prices are a real bargain compared to what you get. Here's mine on Bond:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    They do make some fine watches, I've been enjoying this one for about a year now,

Rudimentary GMT functionality though (slaved 24h hand).
    Was curious for some time about the Black/Orange Pro One GMT but when I came face to face with this one the battle was lost...

As mentioned before the L.U.C line has inhouse calibers. All with micro rotors I think(?).
    RRP is high but good discounts are available, unfortunately not for loose OEM straps and deployant clasp :evil: (if anyone has a good lead please let me know :) ).
    If you ever get bored of that, drop me a private message just in case. If I happen to have funds at the time, making a face to face deal would be easy! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101
    ... the Mille Miglia's are ETA's.
    They are ETA's but they are 'worked over', both decorated and adjusted.
    Well, the top/chronometer grade ETAs are adjusted in 5 positions by ETA themselves. I wouldn't say they do as much with their ETA movements as, say, IWC, Omega (pre-coaxial 2892), or certain Maurice Lacroix models (with brass shirrings in some of the jewel slots, and anglage applied to their Unitas mvoements -- though I don't know whether ML does this in house or wheter it's done by, say, Dubois Depraz).

Nonetheless the fact that they are adjusted in 5 positions means they are top grade movements, which is significant.

But the LUC are sensational pieces... and the new steel model is a seriously compelling value. At £3680 it's a bit cheaper than a JLC Master Control automatic, and it has twin stacked mainspring barrels, a solid gold micro-rotor, fully angled bridges, etc. The only thing it doesn't have is the free sprung balance of the JLC 899.

Craftsman

There's also the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique line which I thought to be part of Mille Miglia but it appears to be not. They are also racing themed ETA movement watches.

Chopard also has some mechanical mvmt watches outside these larger product groups that probably aren't inhouse either. There's the Jose Carreras model and then St Moriz models (not sure if these are produced anymore). I've also seen Elton John models that were a subcategory of Mille Miglia if I'm not mistaken...

FUnny - i was hanging my nose over the display at Fraser Hart in Solihull.
    He's known for a GOOD discount - they had a lovely sporty model for £2000 - no idea what it was - but gorgeous strap etc.
    Tempting to have something less mainstream i guess.....

Banned

Thanks for all of the replies - very informative.
    Any dealerships / on-line sources ?
    I've got a Chopard dealer in my town, but I hate them TBH.... might drop by this w/e and see if they can do a reasonable discount.

Craftsman

I'd try to find a pre owned one, they can be regularly found on American watch forums. Depreciation is your friend! :D

Journeyman

This is mine, it was just over a year old when i got it and like new I paid just over £2000 for it list price was around £4200 so I would deffo go pre owned if you can find a good example, this is the second Chopard I have owned and quite frankly I love it and it is probably the only one of my possesions that I would not part with, yes they aren't as well known as Breitlings etc but I like that, I have had nothing but positive comments about it, keeps immaculate time too, go for a Chopard, you won't regret it :)

Banned

Simmo - how funny.... managed to source a s/h one identical to yours (with silver dial). Limited edition etc
    Its from a dealer, boxed/papers etc and he'll throw in a leather Chopard strap. He's looking for £2.5k.
    May well buy it - saving me nearly £2k 8)

Could have bought one from my AD in April for 50% off - not my cup of tea - unless we are talking a LUC pro-one GMT
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Could have bought one from my AD in April for 50% off - not my cup of tea - unless we are talking a LUC pro-one GMT
    Really..... why 50% off ? Is it worth me calling them.... ?

pro-one GMT does nothing for me personally. But hey, that's what makes us all individual 8)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Gastro
    Really..... why 50% off ? Is it worth me calling them.... ?
    I guess it could have been out of production model which they want to move. Unfortunately the non-WIS public are affected a lot by brands and advertising when they make buying decisions and in that contest Chopard has no chance at all so they could be hard to sell.

pro-one GMT does nothing for me personally. But hey, that's what makes us all individual 8)
    That white GMT posted by our Swedish friend here does EVERYTHING to me :D

Master
    Blog Entries

I have a Chopard Mille Miglia XL GT. It is superb. It looks and feels like the quality, well-made timepiece it is. Chopard as a brand is second to none and their output is mostly top-end diamonds and other jewellery. Their sunglasses alone go for £650!! Whilst very exclusive you can still secure very good discounts but I'd definitely go down the second-hand route if I were you.

Master

http://ninanet.net/watches/others01/Lar ... ardb01.jpg

That poincon de Geneve gets me every time.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ggill
    Their sunglasses alone go for £650!!
    They have some special models that are really pricey but most are quite normal: http://www.giarre.com/glasses/chopard-catalogue.php

I have a pair of some racing themed glasses from Chopard that were around 300€:

I guess I need a Mille Miglia with a tyre tread strap to go with these 8)